Where inspiration came from pt. 2

Monster Hunter

The next day started off as usual.

Max was late.

I punished him with a couple whacks to the with the old broom in the janitor's closet.

“Do you think I like doing this?” I asked wearily as the boy cringed ready for another strike.

He nodded.

“Well I don't!” I exclaimed. “Stand up.”

Max stood looking a bit frightened at the broom in my hands.

I threw it back in the closet.

“When are you going to learn, Shim Changmin?”

“I'm sorry.”

“You say that but yet continue to do it.”

“I'm sorry.”

I sighed. “Just go get ready.”

He bowed to his waist then dashed off.

I turned around and caught sight of a smirking Kyuhyun leaning against a nearby wall.

“What?”

He continued smirking. It really irritated the hell out of me.

“What rookie?!” I demanded.

Kyuhyun tsked. “Corporal punishment is so high school, sir.”

I frowned as he left with those last words as if he was so cool.

I really wondered how Leeteuk managed to punish that kid.


“Hyung!”

“Hello, Sungmin.” I greeted the fellow pro. There was a whole bunch of them here. Could it be they were receiving rookies?

“I'm getting my first rookie today!” That confirmed my suspicions.

“Congratulations.” I spotted Max talking to Kibum, Heechul's rookie. We were supposed to practice with them today. “Excuse me a moment.” I told Sungmin.

“Yes, hyung.” He bowed.

I went over to the two rookies. “Max. Hello Kibum.”

Kibum bowed. “Hello sir. It's a shame we can't practice today.”

“There will be a next time.”

“Yes sir.”

Heechul was always a bit erractic and closer to Max's or Kyuhyun's personality, but that didn't seem to rub off on Kibum at all. He was so serious and calm.

An exceptional rookie.

“We were talking about the new rookies coming in.” Max said excitedly. “Finally someone lower than us! Now who's going to get kicked around?”

“Still you.” I replied with a flick to his forehead. “You're not a pro yet. To become a professional monster hunter is to lose that ego of yours.”

Kibum chuckled. Max pouted.

“Here they come!” Heechul called coming over to us. “Hope Sungmin and the other new rookie trainers are ready.”

I glanced over at the younger pros, they looked nervous as they whispered to one another. I then looked over to the older pros who looked calmly at the incoming rookies.

The group of youngsters entered the practice room followed by Kangta.

Kangta was the oldest pro here. Back in the day he was in a group of hunters called H.O.T. Many of us were in their debt, Kangta and his team had paved the way, being the very first S.M. monster hunters.

He was now in charge of ushering the new rookies in and assigning them pros based on their skills and personalities.

“Hello everyone.” He smiled. “These are our new rookies.”

I overheard Kangin, Leeteuk's first ever rookie whisper to him, “I hope I get a tough kid. I can teach him all my tricks. We could even lift together.”

Leeteuk agreed. “A boy would really suit you best.”

“Now then.” Kangta ushered the kids into a line.

“Ohh! Krystal! KRYSTAL!!”

We all turned to look at Jessica, another pro wave frantically.

A girl in the line, looking a bit like her, waved back.

“Jessica this is for pros who are going to get rookies only.”

Max looked over at Leeteuk and I.

I gave him a glare. If you say anything...

Max looked away immediately.

Jessica sighed. “I know, but I had to see who my little sister was going to get!”

“Alright you can stay, but please settle down.” Kangta said.

Jessica bowed then winked at her sister.

“All pros receiving rookies make a line.”

Ten hunters made a line to match the ten rookies.

“First up, Yesung and Onew.”

Yesung went up to a boy who clumsily ran over. Yesung helped him up with a smile and they formally bowed to each other before walking away to the line of pros.

Several pros beside him congratulated him.

“Kangin, Amber.”

Kangin looked a little surprised as he walked up to meet a small girl.

“Yo!” She bowed and stuck out her hand.

“Yo...” Kangin shook it looking over to Leeteuk who could only laugh.

I smiled. Looks like Kangin would have to learn to lift with Amber now.

I glanced over at Max who had grown a bit taller than me. I remembered fondly the day I had gotten him.

 You and Leeteuk need to report to the practice room.” Yesung tapped me on the shoulder as I filed some paperwork.

 Right now?”

 Yup.”

 Alright.” I stood up wearily then limped over to where Leeteuk was waiting at the end of the cubicles.

 Hey Yunho.” He nodded.

I bowed my head.

 I wonder what they want.” Leeteuk said thoughtful as we hurried to the practice room.

 Beats me.”

 You okay?” He eyed my limp.

 I'm fine. Just had a little too much fun with a manticore.” I winced as I tried to straighten the leg out.

 A manticore?” Leeteuk grinned. “Haven't killed one of those since my new pro days.”

 Me neither.” I added. “I've lost my touch.”

We exchanged a couple of old quest stories as we arrived to the practice room. As we entered we saw Kangta standing in the middle with two kids who were slapping at each other.

 Ugly!”

 Buttface!”

 Stinky! You smell like troll !”

 At least I don't look like it!”

 Well then.” Leeteuk said in a loud voice.

The two teens straightened up at the sound and smiled politely. Kangta sighed, looking at his wit's end.

 Yunho, Leeteuk. We got some new rookies.”

I smiled. Was I going to get a rookie? It had been a long time since I trained a rookie. The last person I had trained had been---

I pushed that person from my mind.

 Leeteuk, you'll get Cho Kyuhyun.”

A gangly kid walked over to Leeteuk and bowed.

Leeteuk bowed back.

 Yunho you can have Max.”

 My name is Changmin! Shim Changmin!” The teen snapped at Kangta.

 Max it is.” I said bowing to him.

The boy relucantly bowed back then shot me a look when Kangta looked away.

I gave him a look back.

Great, my first rookie in a while and I get this brat.

“Last but not least, Taeyeon and Sulli.”

I blinked away my memories to see Taeyeon bow to her rookie and guide her over to the pros.

“Rookies learn all you can. Pros teach all you can.” Kangta recited.

“Thank you.” We all recited back and bowed.

Kangta bowed back then left.

“Hello. You must be Yunho hyung!” A rookie went up to me.

I smiled at his strong voice. He's an assertive one.

Sungmin was a little behind him watching with a grin.

“You can't call him that.” Max cut in coming to stand in front of me. “Everyone is sir here!'

“Everyone except you!” The kid shot back.

Max growled and raised his fist.

“Max!” I grabbed his arm. “Stop it.”

“He's disrespecting you!”

Sungmin assesing the situation rushed over. “Key!”

Key looked between Max and I then over at Sungmin. “He was going to hit me.” He pointed to Max.

“I'm sorry.” Sungmin and I apologized in unison.

“Watch it newbie!” Max glared at Key.

“Eat me.”

Sungmin dragged the boy away but Key had time to stick out his tongue at him.

I laughed.

He was assertive and feisty. Sungmin was in for a treat.

Max gave me a glare. “I was defending your honor, sir!”

I ruffled his hair. “Thanks Max.”

Max shrugged away from me and ran off to greet the other rookies.

“I guess we're not having practice today.” Leeteuk said as he and Heechul came up to me.

“I guess not.”

“”Want to head out for lunch?” Heechul offered.

“Sure.”

As we walked out of the practice room I waved goodbye to Max. He merely gave me a look.

“Jeez, your rookie sure is charming.” Heechul muttered.

“He's a bit moody around lunch time is all.” I replied with a smirk.

He cackled.

“Tomorrow do you guys want to take the older rookies out on a group quest?” Leeteuk spoke up when Heechul had finished his high chimpanzee laughter.

“Sure. I'll talk to Hangeng after lunch.”

I nodded. “That sounds good. Let's see how they improved.”

“Its not long before they graduate.” Heechul sighed wistfully.

“I always end up crying when they go.” Leeteuk sighed with him.

I remained quiet.

“What about you Yunho?” Leeteuk looked over at me. “You still miss J---”

Heechul gave him an elbow. “Leeteuk! Don't forget when Kangin graduated, you cried a lot huh? No more late night practices? Eh?”

Leeteuk blushed bright red. “I-I don't know what you're talking about.”

Heechul shot me a knowing smirk.

I blinked my relief at him. I really didn't want to talk about that person. In fact, just the thought of mentioning them made knots tie up in my stomach.

Hopefully I'd never have to see or hear about them again.


Late.

Max was late this morning. But what else was new?

I was in the practice room supervising Yesung and his new rookie Onew. They were covering werewolf attacks using police dogs.

Onew was very clumsy, he couldn't see to aim at the dogs right. His footwork and speed could use improvement too.

“Onew.” Yesung called from the other side of the room. “Just relax. Let instinct take over.”

Onew took a deep breath, Yesung lifted the gate of the entrance that released a pack of huge german shephards from their pen.

They raced toward him. Onew tried to hit one with his pillow stick but missed as the dog took a turn and ran at him from behind.

“Onew!”

Too late.

Several dogs leaped from behind taking him down. They nearly him to death if Yesung hadn't shooed them away.

“Good effort, dongsaeng.” He helped the boy up.

“I'm sorry.” Onew bowed his long brown hair getting in his face. “I promise I'll try harder.”

Yesung moved the rookie's bangs from his eyes. “You're fine. Just need to relax.” He looked around, thinking hard. “Oh here.”

He closed his mouth took a deep breath and began singing.

Onew looked at him in wonder.

I smiled. Yesung had a wonderful voice. We were always suggesting to him to go pro. As a singer that is.

“I can't be if it's not you...I can't live without you...” He sang. “Here you try!”

Onew nodded.

“I-I can't be if it's not you...I can't live without you...”

I gaped. Whoa! That kid could sing too! Kangta had probably paired them up because of that.

“Good.” Yesung gave him a thumbs up. “Now sing as you do it.”

“Sing? But hyu—sir!” Onew protested.

Yesung was already rounding up the dogs into the pen.

“Get into position!”

Onew took a stance, looking nervous. He finally signaled to Yesung who released the dogs.

The animals barked and howled as they raced towards the rookie. I leaned forward with interest.

“I CAN'T BE IF IT'S NOT YOU! I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU!” Onew yowled in perfect pitch as he smacked away every dog.

The rest taking a hint ran off to the safety of the pen.

Yesung clapped.

I joined in.

Onew grinned, looking so proud of himself.

“That's enough for today.” Yesung announced. “Come help me return these dogs.”

Onew ran over to him helping him with the leashes.

“Thanks for supervising, Yunho!” Yesung called.

I waved and left the room. I headed toward the main office where the quests were assigned.

Why couldn't Max and I have a nice practice like that?

Oh right.

That brat was always late.

The only thing he didn't seem to be late for was lunch.

Speaking of that brat he was there leaning on the quest counter with a wide smile.

“Sir!”

SMACK!

“Ow! Sir!”

“Why are you late?” I demanded.

Max rubbed his forehead. “But I'm not! Heechul sir told me to wait for you here.”

SMACK!

“Ow! Siiirr!!”

“Who's your trainer?” I scolded. “Him or me?”

“Is that question gramatically correct sir?”

SMACK!

“Whoa! Save some for the werewolves.” Heechul joked as he and his rookie came up to us followed closely by Hangeng and Henry.

“Where's Leeteuk?” I asked ignoring Max exaggerating his pain behind me.

“He's in the bathroom.” Kyuhyun popped out from behind Hangeng. “He's old you know.”

Max snickered behind me.

SMACK!

“Not that old.” Leeteuk came up from behind him and gave him a hit on the back of the head.

Kyuhyun rubbed it looking annoyed.

“We agreed on werewolves.” Leeteuk told me.

I nodded. “That's fine.”

“I'll get the quest.” Heechul raised his hand then went over to the counter.

Kyuhyun, Max, and Henry crowded around him wanting to see how it worked. Kibum meanwhile stayed quietly by Hangeng's side.

“Hello Hangeng hyung.” I bowed to the man.

“Hi.” He smiled.

Hangeng was the first foreigner S.M. had contracted. Thanks to him the pathway for foreigner hunters was open.

Now we had several including his rookie, Henry who came from Canda and was of Chinese descent.

Hangeng was usually give the Chinese rookies, Zhou Mi, a pro had been his first one. Zhou Mi actually had a Chinese rookie now, Victoria.

“How's Henry?”

“Ready to be a pro.” He replied. “What about yours?”

I gazed over at Max who was suddenly wrestling with Kyuhyun on the floor while Henry cheered them on.

“Ready to get smacked again.” I muttered.

Hangeng gave me an eye smile. “Rookies are so full of spirit.”

Spirit? Is that what Hangeng called it? Looked more like foolishness to me.

“Kyuhyun!” Leeteuk looked up from his texting.

“Who are you texting?” Hangeng asked.

“Kanginnn...” Heechul teased.

Leeteuk blushed. “Shut up Hee. We're not in 5th grade you know.”

“Then why you blushing sir?” Kyuhyun asked cheekily.

Heechul gave the boy a high five. Max offered one but put his hand down when he caught my eye.

“Got a quest for a werewolf pack of...eight...in the forest.” Heechul read it off. “Says here it's pretty urgent the townspeople nearby are being eaten and turned.”

“Eight?” Kibum's eyes went wide. “Heechul sir, can we take that many?”

“Sure. There's four of us and you guys are practically pros...are you not?”

“Yes!” Max, Kyuhyun, and Henry yelled. Kibum chewed on his lower lip.

“Have a little more excitement Kibum!” Heechul ruffled his hair. The boy managed a pained smile.

I could see why he was nervous. Eight was quite a handful. Then again Max and the others were nearing their graduations. They could handle it.

“Let's go to the armory.” Leeteuk ordered.

“I want to try out the silver ax!” Henry squealed.

“I want a shotgun.” Kyuhyun imitated a gun going off. “Blast their heads in.”

Max pretended to be shot and let out painful howls.

For once I smiled at Max's playfulness. He was so excited like a new rookie on his first quest. And yet he was so old.

When it's time for him to graduate I hope I don't cry in front of the little brat.

I'd never live it down.


“I'm tired.”

“We just got here Henry.” Heechul said exasperated.

Henry pouted but trudged along. Hangeng told us yesterday he and Henry had cleaned the armory room top to bottom. It had taken over seven hours.

No wonder the rookie was so tired.

“Why do we come here in the day time? Aren't they humans right now?” Max complained.

“We're going to set up camp and be ready in case they try to attack us first.” Heechul told him.

Max nodded. It seemed reasonable to him.

I scouted ahead looking around. The forest was thick with huge trees, their leaves nearly blocking all the sunlight. It had a very eerie feel to it too. Perfect for monsters of any kind.

“We should stop here and set up.” Leeteuk decided.

The others agreed. We began unpacking our bags and Hangeng and Henry set up a fireplace.

“Max go help Henry collect firewood.” I ordered.

“Ah why me?”

I raised an eyebrow. “Excuse me?”

“I mean...” Max rubbed the back of his neck. “Sir, I think Henry has it covered pretty well...”

“Go.”

“Sir--”

“Now, Max.”

Max sighed and bowed. “Yes, sir.”

He ran off into the direction Henry had left. Hangeng shot me a smile by the firewood.

“He's a rebellious one.”

“Yeah, but he's a good kid. Most of time anyway.”

“Most of the time?” Heechul came up to us. “What are you talking about?”

“Max.”

“Oh Changmin?” Heechul smiled and sat down beside Hangeng. “He and Kyuhyun are little devils aren't they. I wish Kibum would lighten up and play pranks too. He doesn't give in to peer pressure though.” Heechul sighed. “Such a shame.”

“Hyung, I don't think peer pressure is a good thing.” I said.

“Irregardless, its still a shame.”

Hangeng patted the man's back then got up.

“I sent Kyuhyun to go with Changmin.” Leeteuk went over to me.

“Okay.”

Leeteuk sat down. “Get him off my back for a while.”

“Why didn't Kangin come huh?” Heechul teased. “Aren't werewolves his thing?”

Leeteuk gave him a hard stare. “Kangin's graduated with his own rook, he's got better things to do.”

“Ouch trouble in paradise?”

Leeteuk gave a scoff and walked off to set up his tent.

Heechul smiled and shook his head.

“I'm going to go scout ahead see if I can find any tracks.” I said getting up.

“Careful. Some of them might not be human in the mind anymore.” Heechul warned.

I nodded and bowed to him and Hangeng before taking off.

I made it down a steep path littered with fallen leaves. I stepped carefully, this place was also rumored to have snakes.

As I walked down I spotted some smashed leaves. I went closer to them and bent down. They were werewolf tracks definitely. The leaves were smashed in deep, too deep for humans. I followed them until I found a pile of feces. It looked hardened.

“Ugh, that's not werewolf crap, that's human crap.”

Heechul was right, these werewolves were in their werewolf mind even with their human bodies. That could make them more dangerous to hunt.

I turned around to walk back when I heard a crunch of leaves. I paused and looked around, hand to my gun.

I then heard whispering.

Hm...

I ran to the right and went behind a tree. Sure enough.

My gun was on Kyuhyun's forehead, he looked like he had seen a ghost.

“Hyung! Hyung! It's me!”

I smiled not removing the gun. “I know.” I then turned to Henry and Max. “What are you guys doing over here?”

“We were collecting wood when Kyuhyun spotted tracks.” Henry said innocently.

“I didn't! You did!” Kyuhyun accused.

“I don't care who did it!” I snapped finally putting my gun away. “Just grab your wood and let's go. It's almost sundown.”

The three nodded and followed me back up the path.

We spotted a figure making his way down. Again I pulled out my gun. As the figure came into the view it turned out to be Kibum.

“Oh...um...”

“Busted!” Max chuckled.

“I'm sorry sir.” Kibum bowed. “I was just going to explore a little.”

“Did Heechul let you?”

“He's actually the one that forced me to...”

I sighed. “Come back up rookie.”

Kibum bowed gratefully and helped Henry with some of the wood.

We were almost back when I heard a howl.

“Werewolf!” Kyuhyun whispered to the others. Their eyes went wide.

“Come on.” I hurried them along.

“Kibum!” Heechul yelled when we appeared. “Did you purposely defy me and go exploring?!”

“We know you ordered Kibum out.” I said flatly.

Heechul scoffed and walked off.

Kibum and I exchanged smiles.

Hangeng set up the fire and we grilled sausages with bacon for dinner. I washed mine down with a swig of soju and passed the bottle to Max.

“Whoa really?”

I nodded. “We're about to kill eight werewolves. You need all the courage you can get.”

He downed a gulp before starting to choke.

The other rookies and Heechul began laughing.

I slapped his back with a chuckle. “That's the spirit.”

After he had calmed down he looked at me in adoration for the duration of dinner.


It was almost midnight. I was curled up in a nook of a giant tree with Max on my chest fast asleep.

He was still a child in some ways. With his face buried in my chest and his right leg over mine.

I heard growling not far from us. They were finally drawing closer.

The pile of sausages we left on the fire were now charred but the smell was still strong. They'd come for the bait for sure.

I my mic. “Leeteuk.”

“Yeah?”

I gaped. “Are you falling asleep?”

“Maybe just a little.” He admitted. “I didn't sleep well yesterday.”

“These trees are pretty comfy to be honest.” Heechul joined in.

“Are you guys awake?” I asked.

“Yeah.”

“What about Hangeng and Henry?”

“Right here.” Hangeng's voice rang through the mic.

We suddenly heard trampling of leaves.

“Their coming!”

“Everyone alert!” Leeteuk ordered. “Get ready!”

I shook Max.

“Uh?”

“Get up!”

Max rubbed his eyes.

I shoved a crossbow at him. “Don't touch the ends of the arrows. They're coated with poison.”

Max nodded, the sleepy look in his eyes gone as he heard a howl.

We crouched in the trees, the tension rising as the noise got louder. And louder. And louder. Until...

Eight werewolves, appeared at our camp. The biggest one was the one at the front. The alpha. The others were slightly smaller and in different shades of greys and browns. One was even white.

“Wait for my signal.” Leeteuk commanded.

The alpha sniffed at the burned sausages and then sniffed the air. He let out a howl as he spotted our scent.

“NOW!” Leeteuk screamed.

Max and I fired at as many as we could. The others did the same.

The alpha roared as the others howled and looked around madly trying to see where the shots were coming from. Two had been brought down, letting out pained howls as they shrank into the form of a woman and a man.

“Two down, six more to go.” Leeteuk cheered.

“Make that four. Two ran off. ing cowards!” Heechul sneered.

“We're going down.” Hangeng called.

“Alright.” Leeteuk replied. “Us too.”

I watched as Leeteuk and Kyuhyun climbed down from the trees across from us along with Hangeng and Henry.

“Let's keep shooting.” I told Heechul.

“Okay.”

We kept the alpha at bay while Hangeng and Henry fought with one werewolf. Leeteuk and Kyuhyun took on two.

“Where's the third?” I murmured scanning the campsite. I saw finally spotted him making his way around to Leeteuk.

“Hyung!” I yelled.

Leeteuk was too busying fending off one to take notice.

“Damn it!”

“Sir?”

“Keep shooting Max!” I yelled as I scrabbled down the tree and running across to the werewolf rearing up to jump.

I yanked my gun out and aimed at it's head. Now or never.

I shot.

It went down with a squeal nearly landing on top of Leeteuk. He rolled out of the way in time and I shot at the one he was fighting.

Leeteuk nodded his thanks and ran over to help Kyuhyun.

“Awesome! Sir that was pure awesome!” Max exclaimed.

I turned around. “Max! I told you to stay there!”

“I thought you needed back up.” He shrugged.

“I didn't--” I shoved him out of the way as the alpha male sneaked up behind and clawed wildly. “Get out of here!”

Max ran off and I tried to roll out of the way, but the werewolf lunged out and raked his claws on my arm.

“!” I flew back. I tried to get up but the alpha male walked toward me. His teeth gleaming with saliva. And his eyes amber and ravenous. “Help! Damnit!”

He was so close when suddenly, he turned around with a roar.

I got up to see him racing at Max, who kept firing at it.

“Thank you for not listening.” I sighed. Then with one good arm ran behind it.

“Finish it Yunho! I'm out of bullets.” Heechul said over the mic. “I'm fighting off two that ran off.”

“Understood.” I said. I aimed my gun but couldn't find an open shot. I looked past it to see Max swerving quickly back and forth. “Max!”

Max looked at me.

“Keep it steady!” I yelled.

Max nodded and stood still. The werewolf reached to bite him as I fired into the back of his head.

It landed in a big heap.

Max jumped on it and began jumping up and down. “Yeah, yeah!”

I looked around for the others. Heechul and Hangeng had shot down the last one trying to flee and the others were circling someone.

“Leeteuk?” I wondered.

“Oh gross!” Max jumped off the werewolf that turned into a big woman.

“Max let's go with the others!” I called.

When we arrived Hangeng and Heechul were already there.

“What's going on?” Max asked as he shouldered his way in.

I was afraid to look. Had someone died. Leeteuk? Kyuhyun?

“This is ed up.” Heechul muttered as he got out the circle.

I dared to look and saw the gangly body of someone familiar.

No...

Leeteuk was crying painfully.

“Kyuhyun...” Max called out softly. “Get up.”