Chapter 4

Monster Hunter

Taehyung, Jimin and Jungkook took him out the next morning. He had surprisingly slept well that night. He supposed Yoongi’s lips were laced with tranquilizers or maybe he had just been so over the whole day that sleep had been a relief.

He did better than the day before and by noon, Seokjin called them in to eat and Hoseok wasn’t as tired as before.

He also wasn’t bleeding, which was a great relief.

“Hoseok hyung is really fast!” Taehyung spoke up as they all sat around to eat.

“And agile! He dodged all my rocks.” Jimin added, proudly.

“You shouldn’t throw rocks.” Seokjin chided.

“He dodged them!” Jimin smiled, completely missing the man’s point.

“Nice progress.” Namjoon gave Hoseok an approving nod and Hoseok caught Seokjin’s hand giving Namjoon’s a squeeze before they exchanged a quick smile.

They had made up, Hoseok guessed.

“Thanks.” He smiled at Namjoon and the man smiled back.

“He’s also really funny.” Taehyung declared. “Make that face you did earlier hyung!”

“Why is everything about the new guy?” Yoongi demanded, cutting in before Hoseok could do his funny face. “Can we just eat in peace?”

Everyone froze and glanced between Hoseok and Yoongi, before quieting down. Taehyung shot him an apologetic look to which Hoseok smiled and shook his head.

It was fine, all the attention was a little embarrassing. Especially when he wasn’t here to stay. To compliment him so much, would only make him feel guilty later on.  He looked back at Yoongi, who gave him a glare in response.

Was he some kind of Jekyll and Hyde creature? How could he change temperament so quickly? One moment he was crying and kissing Hoseok the next he didn’t even want to hear his name?

It was ridiculous.

Hoseok glared back before turning and joining into Taehyung’s and Jungkook’s conversation. He could feel Yoongi’s eyes though, they seemed to stay on him for the entire duration of lunch.


Hoseok, fresh from the shower, had the unfortune of meeting Yoongi in the hallway. His grip tightened on the towel around his waist and Yoongi’s eyes flicked down to it before looking away and attempting to walk past.

“Hey.” Hoseok called.

Yoongi acted like he hadn’t heard and it irked Hoseok, without thinking twice he grabbed at Yoongi’s arm.

Yoongi looked up at him, a dull look in his eyes.

“What’s your problem?”

Yoongi looked down at Hoseok’s mouth then at his chest. Hoseok grew flustered.

There was a strange kind of look in the man’s eyes similar to hunger. Hoseok opened his mouth to say something but was met with lips instead. Yoongi shoved him against the wall and kissed him fiercely.

Yoongi’s hands ran up his torso and up his chest, his fingernails digging into his shoulders as he kissed him harder.

Their lips crashed together messily, their teeth occasionally bumping, but it felt so good. Hoseok’s head spun and he could feel an pressing on his towel, much to his surprise. He couldn’t remember the last time this kind of uninhibited excitement had coursed through him.

The air was hot and heavy and Yoongi let out a low moan as he reached down to grab at Hoseok’s hips. Hoseok could feel the cool fingers digging into his hot skin, sure to leave marks. Droplets of water from his shower still ran down his skin and Yoongi moved to his collarbone to kiss and at his wet skin.

He held back a moan as he felt teeth bite at his shoulder. The pain turned to pleasure as Yoongi left open mouthed kisses from his shoulder down to his chest. The towel around his waist was slipping lower and lower.

The man was now kissing and away drops of water on his chest, his breath hot on his skin. The tantalizing feeling made goosebumps run along his arms. He could almost feel Yoongi’s hand slip past the towel and brush against his--

And then it was over. Yoongi pulled away with a of his lips and walked off leaving Hoseok flushed and gasping for air.

Seokjin then appeared and Hoseok realized why Yoongi had taken off so abruptly.

“Hey.”

“H-hey.”

Seokjin took in the man’s red skin and heavy breaths. “You okay?”

“Yeah...just...I was uh , doing some jumping jacks in the shower…” The lie was as stupid as Hoseok felt.

Seokjin seemed to not believe him either but he simply smiled. “Be careful its wet.”

“Yeah.” Hoseok agreed. “I’ll save it for dry land.”

Seokjin nodded and walked past him and to Namjoon’s bedroom. Hoseok quickly dashed to his room before leaning against the door.

What the hell…

What the hell was going on?!


Yoongi avoided him again; the week was almost up and Hoseok was improving in his training greatly.

Even Seokjin seemed to notice and after sitting through a session he smiled and clapped his back.

“You could be ready for a small mission, rookie.”

“Really?” Hoseok wiped the sweat from his forehead.

Seokjin handed him a towel. “Yup.”

While Hoseok still kept it in his mind that he was gone after this week trial, the hard work and praise he recieved around him made him feel alive.

More alive than he had when he was dancing.

Taehyung had also begun showing him how to shoot a gun and Hoseok could feel his finger itch to pull the trigger on something else than tin cans.

He had tried to fight it all off, the praise and the adrenaline of shooting, but it undeniable.

He wanted to hunt.

He was ready.


“Hoseok is ready to do a small mission.” Seokjin announced over breakfast the next day. “Yoongi, you will assess him.”

 What? ” Yoongi spat. “I’m not his mentor! If anything it should be one of the brats!”

Taehyung and Jimin looked up at Seokjin with hopeful eyes.

“They don’t have the seniority like we do.” Seokjin held Yoongi down with a frown. “They weren’t made pros that long ago.”

“Then you do it.”

“Yoongi, I have to go with Taehyung and Jungkook today. You have no missions to do, so get this done.”

Namjoon and Jimin departed quickly from the table with the excuse of a mission and Taehyung and Jungkook shot Hoseok sympathetic looks before fleeing as well.

Yoongi glared at Hoseok. “ Fine. 

“Good.” Seokjin gave an affirmative nod. “Report back when done.”

Yoongi stabbed a pancake with a fork as Seokjin left and Hoseok didn’t doubt that was meant to be his face.

Hoseok, not wanting to sit with Yoongi alone, finished his milk then rushed off to catch up to Seokjin.

“Hyung.” Since joining in with them he had been instructed to refer everyone older as hyung and in turn he was hyung to the youngest.

Seokjin turned from reading a file in his hand.

“What’s a pro?”

He had heard it thrown around, but he wasn’t quite sure what it meant. There was still things he had yet to learn about this occupation. He supposed they weren’t telling him everything because of his temporary position.

“A pro is a professional monster hunter. You’re only certified as one when you graduate. A rookie, only graduates when a mentor determines they are ready. In your case, you were not assigned a mentor. But for now we are just assessing you for the responsibility for a mission so, it will have to be Yoongi since he is senior pro.”

“Yoongi is a bit…”

“He’s a good critic. He can tell us what you need to work on.” Seokjin looked back at his file, flipping through it. “Now go prepare.” He shooed him away with the wave of his hand before going into the study.

Seeing as Seokjin wasn’t going to budge, Hoseok nodded and slumped away. After those two kissing incidents he didn’t know what to feel about Yoongi. Was it lust or anger or confusion? A mixture of all three? He was certain to find out…


He and Yoongi got into a car that was inside the garage of the house. Hoseok had only seen the van and was surprised at the sight of a sleek black mustang.

“Wow. I didn’t know Mr. Bang gave you guys a car and a van.”

“It’s Seokjin’s.” Yoongi replied, getting in. “Since he’s making me go on this stupid mission I might as well borrow a ride.”

Hoseok had to hand it to Yoongi he sure acted fearless, while Seokjin was typically warm he still stood tall with his broad shoulders and no nonsense attitude. He could even see Namjoon, the leader, respect his decisions when it came to monster hunting. With the exception of saving normal citizens and bringing them to the house, of course.

Yoongi turned to Hoseok with a smirk. “Hold on.”

The car roared to life then screeched out of the garage and driveway and onto the street.

“Where we going?” Hoseok spoke up after they had been driving for a while.

Yoongi shrugged.

Hoseok sat back and looked out the window for the rest of the ride. They passed the city streets and Hoseok wondered what he would do if he saw someone familiar.

Jump out of the car and yell for help? Claim that he’d been kidnapped and held hostage? Hoseok smiled to himself, it was slightly true but they had also saved his life.

They were all becoming friends to him as well. Hoseok glanced at Yoongi out of the corner of his eyes, before turning back. Well almost all of them.

They came to a stop outside of an empty warehouse and got out.

“What monster are we hunting?” Hoseok asked as he stretched his legs.

Yoongi shrugged.  

“How many are we hunting?”

Another shrug.

They walked along to the side of the warehouse and Hoseok finally burst.

“Will you just talk?!”

“Quiet down!” Yoongi hissed pressing against the warehouse.

“You kissed me, Min Yoongi!” Hoseok whispered furiously.

Yoongi turned to look at him.

“What?”

Yoongi yanked him by the shirt collar and pressed him against the warehouse. His mouth quirked into a side smirk. “This what you want?” He asked, his voice low and deep it sent shivers down Hoseok’s spine.

“I’d like some answers.” Hoseok replied with a frown.

“Kiss me.”

“Huh?”

 Please. ” Yoongi’s mouth was a small pout and at the sight of him begging with his eyes and his mouth, Hoseok felt something animalistic take over. He placed his hands on either side of Yoongi’s face, his thumb running across Yoongi’s lower lip. Yoongi let out a whimper and Hoseok felt the man grab at his jacket and pull him closer. He wanted it so bad, Hoseok wondered why he was so willing to comply to Yoongi.

It was his mouth.

That’s what had started all of this. His pink, small mouth that Hoseok couldn’t stop looking at.

He leaned forward ready to kiss it from pink to red.

He pulled Yoongi and shoved him against the warehouse. It made a sharp clang resonate throughout the abandoned space but Hoseok could care less. He pressed his lips against Yoongi’s and felt that electrifying feeling crawl throughout his body. Hoseok deepened the kiss and slipped his tongue in as Yoongi wrapped his arms around his neck. Their bodies meshed together and Hoseok slid a leg in between Yoongi’s. The shorter man rode his thigh with a soft gasp against Hoseok’s mouth. Hoseok moaned in response and grabbed at Yoongi’s hips wanting to feel more of Yoongi on him.

Yoongi pulled away with a huff. “Do you feel that?”

“Yeah.” Hoseok smiled, pressing his thigh against Yoongi’s .

“No, you fool.” Yoongi pushed him away. “I mean the floor.”

“Oh…”

Now that Yoongi had mentioned it he could feel the earth shifting beneath him. Was this some kind of earthquake?

The floor was almost vibrating, it shook so hard Hoseok landed against Yoongi as a few feet away from them the earth cracked open.

Hundreds of spiders burst from the dirt. All similar to the size of the one that had attacked him.

“Oh my god.”

“Quick.” Yoongi slipped past Hoseok and pulled out his gun. He began shooting at them, one bullet seeming to be enough before the spiders flipped over and died.

Hoseok struggled to grab his gun from his holster. He followed Yoongi and tried to stifle a gag as he stepped around dead spiders.

They made it inside the warehouse and Yoongi turned to Hoseok.

“What?”

“What do we do?”

“What?! You’re the one with seniority!” Hoseok protested.

Yoongi shot at the baby spiders crawling towards them. More and more seemed to pour out of the ground.

“I’m here to assist and supervise not to do this mission for you. Now hurry up, rookie! What do we do?” He snapped.

Hoseok tried to remember the random facts Jimin had spouted while he had wrestled with Taehyung.

“When dragons open their mouth to breathe out fire throw a ice crystal in their mouth, puts it right out and gives them brain freeze.”

“Werewolves typically mate with themselves and if they give birth around the time of the full moon their children stay in their wolf form forever.”

“Bananas are an excellent source of potassium!”

“Remember hyung, kill the baby spiders but ultimately aim for the egg sac or else they’ll just keep coming.”

“Shoot the egg sac!” Hoseok yelled. Yoongi nodded and aimed at a giant egg sac in the middle of the building. While Yoongi shot at it, Hoseok shot at nearby baby spiders that leaped toward them.

The egg sac began to wilt and it sliced open oozing yellow pus from an opening. It deflated and the spiders ceased.

He and Yoongi finished up the remaining ones quickly. Hoseok sighed.

“Not so bad huh?” Yoongi smiled.

Hoseok nodded, he then froze as he saw something move a few feet behind Yoongi.

The man caught his gaze and followed it. “, I thought this was an abandoned nest.”

“Wha…?”

A huge spider emerged from the shadows. Its legs were outstretched and hairy, its several eyes gleaming red like flames, and its fangs looked big enough that one stab would go right through you and kill you.

Roughly the size of a school bus it hissed so loudly Hoseok was sure all of Seoul could hear it. He could feel the bile rising in his throat as it inched toward them, its legs stabbing the earth. Hoseok choked for air and he was feeling light headed. His eyesight grew blurry and he stumbled back. His gun was slipping from his fingers.

I...I...can’t do this...

“Hoseok?” Yoongi shook him by the shoulders.

Hoseok blinked hard. There were tears in his eyes now. No! I can’t faint now!

“Aim for the face.” Yoongi ordered.

Hoseok steadied himself and aimed his gun. His shots missed, hitting its legs. The spider screamed in pain and reared up attempting to jump at them.

Yoongi pulled out a small grenade like object.

“Shield your eyes.” He ordered and pulled pin and threw it up in the air. Hoseok closed his eyes and saw the red inside of his eyelids. The spider squealed as it was blinded with light and backed away into the shadows.

Yoongi shot at its eyes, but it wasn’t enough.

Hoseok wiped at his eyes with his jacket sleeve then took a deep breath.

1…

2…

3...

Hoseok finally shot near its face. His bullet blew off the spider’s right fang.

Yoongi let out a whoop of joy and Hoseok smiled feeling the adrenaline rush through him.

They kept at it until the spider finally laid to the ground and flipped around, dead.

Yoongi cheered again, lifting his arms in the air and smiling that gummy smile at him. Hoseok rushed over and hugged him. He kissed him and when he pulled back, he was surprised at Yoongi’s blushing pink face.

The man then coughed and walked over to the giant spider.

“Set your gun to fire power.” Yoongi called.

Hoseok looked down at his gun and saw a knob at the top of it. He twisted it to a small flame icon and walked over to Yoongi.

The man pulled the trigger and flames fired through the gun. Hoseok did the same and the spider was burned to a large pile of ash.

Yoongi turned to the egg sac and did the same.

“Will we do the baby spiders?” Hoseok looked around at all the dead bodies. There was hundreds.

“No. People who work for Bang will probably take care of them.” Yoongi replied.

“Then why even burn the mother?” Hoseok asked.

“Consider it an act of courtesy towards the workers who have to deal with all of this.” Yoongi said as they walked back to the car. “Also it never hurts to make sure. Better overkill then under.”


Seokjin, after consulting Yoongi in the study ran back to Hoseok with a big smile on his face. Yoongi was behind him.

“You did well! Good job, rookie!”

Hoseok smiled back and felt the praise flood him with warmth.

“Yoongi said you were quick to follow directions well. Also your fear of spiders didn’t hinder your action making decisions.”

Well that’s not completely true. Hoseok thought. “Thanks. It was mainly thanks to Yoongi hyung though.”

That had been the first time Hoseok had addressed Yoongi as an older brother. Yoongi seemed to take a notice because he smiled shyly and looked away. Seokjin caught the action and raised an eyebrow but didn’t comment. He turned back to Hoseok and gave him a thumb’s up before leaving to start dinner. Yoongi glanced at him one last time before following.

Hoseok hoped after all they went through, he and Yoongi were friends now at least.


Taehyung tackled him in the hallway after dinner. The boy pulled him into a tight hug and Hoseok let out a laugh.

“Hey!”

“Congratulations hyung!” Taehyung yelled in his ear, before pulling away. “I heard you did great!”

“Thanks.”

“We should celebrate!” Taehyung grinned. “Go out to eat or something.”

“Can we go out?”

Wasn’t that against the rules or something?

He never specifically heard Seokjin mention it, but it seemed to be an unspoken rule. When the others weren’t on missions they were training or enjoying leisure time in their rooms. No one seemed to go out especially Hoseok.

Hoseok hadn’t been out in so long, he missed the buzzing life of the city. He missed the late night drinking with his friends. He missed...his family.

Taehyung nodded. “Well…” He smiled mischievously. “If we go out after dark and don’t tell anyone…”

Uneasiness filled Hoseok, but he pushed it aside at the sight of Taehyung’s eager face. “Oh...okay.”

It couldn’t hurt could it? He was gone soon anyway, he may as well enjoy some time with Taehyung.

“Yay! I’ll meet you in the living room at midnight!”

“It’s a date.” Hoseok nodded and grew confused when Taehyung let out a squeal and ran away.

He must be really excited. Hoseok figured with a smile. What a cutie...


Midnight rolled around and Hoseok carefully stepped out of his room and down the hall. At every squeak of the hardwood floor, Hoseok paused and held his breath. He finally made it to the living room where a figure stood by the couch.

“Hyung?”

“Tae?”

Taehyung came into the moonlight and gave a box shaped grin. “It’s me.”

Hoseok smiled back. “Come on, let’s go.”

They slipped out through the back door and down the street. Once they left the suburb Taehyung reached for his hand. Hoseok jumped a little at the motion, but smiled and interwove his fingers with the younger man’s. Hoseok liked how big and warm Taehyung’s hand felt in his own. He couldn’t help thinking it was a strong contrast to Yoongi’s own cold hands.

They walked until they came to a street vendor where they bought rice cakes and soju.  

“Thanks Taehyung, I needed a night out.” Hoseok said as they sat under the street food tent.  

“Me too, hyung.” Taehyung replied with a raise of a shot glass.

Hoseok smiled and raised his and they clinked glasses before downing it.

They took way too many shots and finished up their food before stumbling back out into the dark streets.

Taehyung held his hand again and Hoseok even found himself leaning on him a couple times.

“There’s a place that sells hot cakes…” Taehyung scanned the area with half open eyes before pointing. “Oh there!”

He dragged Hoseok over and they bought some before walking over to a park. They sat on a cold bench and ate in silence. The only sounds were the chirping of crickets and the occasional car.

“So how did you join?” Hoseok asked, breaking the silence.

“Hmm...” Taehyung swallowed. “I was a kid, barely out of high school and I saw--well Jimin and I saw a troll, it was big and ugly and green--Namjoon hyung and Jin hyung were fighting it.”

“Wow, that’s crazy.” It had been slightly similar to his story in a way.

“Yeah, they saw us looking and took us to Bang. He said we could join.”

“So you did?”

“I did.” Taehyung said. “I thought it was so cool the way they fought it off and knowing I could do the same. But Jimin...he wanted to dance. He was like you. That was his dream. He tried to audition for several entertainment companies but none picked him up. He figured he was going to try it the college way, but when Bang asked him to join he figured what was the use of trying anymore.”

“That’s terrible.”

Taehyung nodded, looking a little solemn.

“So you’ve always wanted to join?”

“Yeah...guess we’re different.” Taehyung gave a pained smile.

“That’s okay.” Hoseok reassured him. “Different is good.”

“Really?” The boy seemed to brighten up.

“Of course.” Hoseok smiled.

Taehyung looked at him before looking down at his half eaten hot cake. “Hyung you’re really handsome when you smile.”

“Huh?”

“I mean.” Taehyung gazed up at him. “You’re always handsome, but when you smile you’re extra handsome.”

“Oh...Tae...uh…”

“Can I kiss you?”

The question was so sudden, Hoseok leaned back in surprise.

“I... uh ...Tae... I kind of ...I mean…”

Yoongi.

What about Yoongi?

“Do you like someone?” Taehyung inferred from his hesitant answer.

“Yeah... well ...no...it’s complicated .” Hoseok laughed weakly.

“Well, while you figure it out...can I kiss you?” Taehyung leaned forward.

Hoseok looked at those expectant eyes and Taehyung’s handsome, caring face and he found he felt just a little pulled towards him. The boy had been nothing but helpful toward him since the day they had met. If Hoseok had to date someone, it would be someone like Taehyung. Kind, energetic, positive, outgoing…

Everything Yoongi didn’t seem to be.

“Uh...I guess.” He found himself saying.

Then Taehyung kissed him.

And it was calm, soft.

Hoseok wondered why he was disappointed that there wasn’t lightning or fireworks or a million thoughts running through his mind.

His brain was empty.

Taehyung then pulled away with a shy smile and they walked back to the house, hand in hand.

Once they made it back they stood in the hallway and Hoseok gave him a hug.  

“Thank you Taehyung.”

“I had a good time, hyung.”

“I did too.” Hoseok said, sincere.

He then jumped as Taehyung placed a hand on the small of his back and pulled him in for another kiss.

Despite it being so calm, it was still so sweet. Like a warm summer day or hot cakes in a park. And Hoseok thought maybe he could grow to like it.

“What are you doing?”

A loud voice called from the hallway. The light was suddenly switched on and there was Yoongi in sweatpants and a oversized black T-shirt. His blonde hair was a fluffy mess and he wore a deep frown on his face.

“Hyung!” Taehyung squawked and pulled away from Hoseok, looking embarrassed.

Yoongi eyed their clothes.

“Did you sneak out?”

“Uh…” Hoseok looked at Taehyung.

“Sorry hyung.” Taehyung smiled. “I just wanted to celebrate with Hoseokie hyung. We’re going to bed now.” 
“You’re lucky I don’t tell Namjoon or Seokjin.” Yoongi warned.

Taehyung walked past him and Hoseok tried to follow but was pulled back by Yoongi.

“Need to talk to you.” He said gruffly.

Hoseok glanced at a confused Taehyung and gave him a wave to go on ahead. Taehyung left with a last look back.

Once his figure disappeared and a door was heard shutting closed, Yoongi whirled on Hoseok.

“What kind of game are you playing at?”

“What?”

“I saw you.” Yoongi growled. “I didn’t take you for a two-timing type.”

“Two-timing?” Hoseok then realized what he meant. He saw … “You mean you saw?”

For a second a flash of hurt crossed Yoongi’s eyes, before he looked angry again. “Yeah.”

“He...he asked me.”

“He asked you?”

Hoseok nodded.

“You know you’re not really defending yourself well.”

“He’s a nice kid.”

“I see…” Yoongi let his arm go and gave him a look of disgust. “Well if you want to be with Taehyung so bad then, go ahead. But you’re not going to wrap me up in a stupid love triangle cliche.”

Hoseok raised his eyebrows. “Love triangle? Yoongi, no I--”

The man left without letting him finish and Hoseok found himself alone in the hallway, never more confused and frustrated.