Chapter 2

Monster Hunter

That night he tossed and turned in his bed, but failed to fall asleep. His head was throbbing again and he could use more water.

He tried to ignore it willing his body to go to sleep, but just as he had settled down a new problem emerged.

“Oh god, I have to pee…” He whispered aloud.

He knew this was something he couldn’t sleep away. His bladder was growing heavy, already threatening to burst. He felt the next breath he took would lead to him wetting the bed.

He couldn’t exactly do that, Seokjin would be grossed out or angry. Or both.

Not to mention if that Min Yoongi found out, he would never live it down.

He would call him the nuisance that couldn’t wipe his own , much less walk to the restroom.

Hoseok frowned, determination not to embarrass himself in front of Yoongi making him leap out of bed and go for the door.

Every step sent an ache of pain to his side, but he ignored it, mentally patting himself on the back as he made it to the door.

He expected it to be locked and was pleasantly surprised when the door opened and he was greeted by a dark hallway.

Careful to be as quiet as possible he stepped out of the room for the first time. The wood flooring was like ice to his feet as he padded to the first room across the hall.

Please be the restroom , he begged.

He turned the knob and opened the door.

The room was wide and in it were two beds that sat parallel to each other, in the corner Hoseok could make out a TV and stacks of books and DVD’s.

He quickly went for the doorknob when a light was switched on.

Hoseok made eye contact with a boy with chubby cheeks and a shocked expression.

The boy, one hand on the lamp he had , opened his mouth. Hoseok flinched, ready for a scream.

Instead, the boy yawned.

“Who are you?” He asked after he yawned.

“Jung Hoseok.”

“Jung Hoseok?” The boy turned his head to the side, his brows furrowed. “I don't know any Jung Hoseoks.”

He then saw Hoseok's bandaged torso. “What happened?”

“I got bit by a huge spider.”

“Wow, that must have hurt a lot!”

Hoseok nodded. He then fiddled with the doorknob, attempting to distract his full bladder.

“Wait a minute…”

He felt his crotch begin to ache. He needed to go, now. “Do you know where the--”

“I don't know any Jung Hoseoks…”

Hoseok tried not to roll his eyes. “Yes you said that already, can you please--”

“You’re a normal human!” The boy gasped, pointing at him.

“Yes, poor me. I've always wanted to be an alien.” Hoseok said sarcastically. He then clutched at the front of his jeans. “Please, where is the restroom?”

The boy frowned, ignoring his question. “You're not supposed to be here!”

“Why not?”

“Because...You’ll…” The boy searched for words. “Get us in trouble.”

“So you guys are drug dealers.”

The boy smiled. “Hah! Is that what Jin hyung told you?”

“Jin hyung?” Hoseok cocked his head to the side.

“Yoongi hyung then?” The boy copied his movement.

“Yoongi? The guy that always looks constipated?”

The boy laughed. Hoseok smiled but grimaced as a small squirt of pee was released.

“Please, um…”

“Restroom?” The boy raised his eyebrows with a knowing smile.

Hoseok nodded before running after the boy who led him down the dark hallway two doors to the right.

“Thanks!” Hoseok called over his shoulder as he rushed in.

Once relieved, he came out and the boy offered water.

Hoseok accepted gratefully, following the boy into a kitchen. It was spacious with a big counter and a big fridge. The boy jumped on his toes to reach the cabinet and pull down a glass, Hoseok found the boy’s height cute.

He was finally handed the water with a smile and a name.

“I'm Park Jimin. I don't think Jin hyung has told you about me?”

Hoseok shook his head, taking a long gulp of water.

“I'm surprised you're here. I didn't think Jin hyung would keep bringing people, considering what happened last time.”

Last time?

“What happened last time?”

“Someone died.” Jimin said, looking solemn.

Hoseok’s eyes went wide. What?!

Died?

“How did--”

The sound of a door opening and slamming shut was heard followed by quick footsteps to the kitchen.

Jimin and Hoseok exchanged looks of panic and Hoseok attempted to flee, however before he could put a foot up, a figure stood in the kitchen doorway.

“Jimin!”

“Hey Taehyung.”

The boy was tall with a handsome face and brown hair with small green highlights falling into his eyes, he ran over and pulled Jimin into a hug. He then eyed Hoseok with a curious expression. “Who’s this?”

“Jung Hoseok.”

“Normal human being.” Hoseok added with a smile.

Taehyung returned the smile, nodding his head politely.

“Who is that?”

A voice interrupted.

They all turned to look at a tall man in the doorway. He stepped into the light and frowned as he looked Hoseok up and down. He was lean with a shock of silver hair and a round face with small monolid eyes.

“That's Jung Hoseok.” Taehyung answered. “He's a normal human being.”

“That's right.” Hoseok chuckled.

The man looked between Taehyung and Jimin, confused.

Jimin then sighed. “He's another one of Jin's saves.”

“Not again!” The man let out a noise of exasperation.

“This one is funny though.” Jimin smiled reassuringly to Hoseok, as he hid behind Jimin. The man in front of them didn’t seem threatening, but Hoseok could never be sure.

The man sighed and walked to grab a glass of water. As he sipped he stared at Hoseok with his eyes narrowed.

“Where’s Jin hyung?” He spoke up.

“Out with Yoongi hyung.” Jimin replied.

“What happened?” Taehyung touched Hoseok’s bandaged side. Hoseok nearly jumped at the contact, but held still and smiled.

“It’s a spider bite.” Hoseok then caught the tall man’s eye. “But don’t worry, I’ll leave as soon as the fang falls out.”

The man let out another sigh and walked out.

Hoseok wondered if he was related to Yoongi. Jimin seemed to read his mind because he placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Don’t worry, Namjoon hyung is just stressed from work. He’s our leader.”

“The drug kingpin?”

Jimin laughed and clapped his shoulder.

“Do you want some cake?” Taehyung asked, opening the big fridge and pulling out a half-eaten birthday cake. “It was Jimin’s birthday yesterday.”

“Okay.” Hoseok said with a nod, he then turned to look at Jimin. “Happy birthday.”

“Thanks.”

They walked to the kitchen and settled down to eat the cake. Namjoon was there too, focused in on a book. Whenever Taehyung would yell or make them laugh he wouldn’t even blink. He did, however, cast glances at Hoseok as if annoyed. Hoseok wondered if he was really that annoying and the others put up with it or was it just Yoongi and Namjoon who had a problem with him.

He played a game of rock, paper, and scissors just as the front door opened and closed again.

“Jin hyung is home.” Taehyung said excitedly standing up. Jimin pulled him down with the shake of his head.

Hoseok grew apprehensive, was something bad going to happen? Something to him?

Seokjin walked into the kitchen, the calm look on his face suddenly exaggerated with surprise. Yoongi was behind him, remaining neutral.

“Hoseok!”

Hoseok smiled weakly.

“I can’t believe you did this again, hyung.” Namjoon stood up to his full height. He was pretty tall and intimidating despite being lanky.  

“He was in the alleyway about to die!” Seokjin protested.

“I don’t care where he was!” Namjoon growled. “You were told not to bring anyone back here anymore. I’m calling Bang.”

“Oh are you now?” Jin sneered. “Go ahead then!”

Yoongi made his way over to Hoseok and tugged him away by the shoulder. Jimin and Taehyung waved goodbye as he followed him down the hallway and to the bedroom.

Once they were inside, Yoongi slammed the door behind him and sat down on the chair in the corner. Hoseok sat on the bed.

“He said he was going to call someone?”

“Don’t worry about it.” Yoongi’s voice was surprisingly calm. Hoseok had expected him to be furious. “He’s threatened before, Jin will get him to calm down.”

“Do I have to stay cooped up in this room now that everyone knows I exist?” Hoseok asked, fiddling with the sheets.

“You shouldn’t have left in the first place.” The scathing tone was back.

“I needed to pee.”

“Then you should have peed your pants.”

“What?” Hoseok gaped. “What’s wrong with you?”

“What’s wrong with you ?” Yoongi retorted. “No consideration for the people who saved your life!”

“Did I do something to you? Why do you act like you hate me?” Hoseok demanded, standing up.

Yoongi stood up as well.

“I hate everyone.” He said with a scowl then left, leaving the door wide open.

Hoseok stomped over and slammed it shut going to the bed and landing face first.

What was wrong with Yoongi?

Why was he always getting under his skin?

If it weren’t for his injury he would have probably decked him a couple times.

Hoseok was a nice, gentle person, but he wasn’t a doormat. He could fight if he had to, if he wanted too.

And boy, was Yoongi making him want to.


 That night he lay in bed, hoping the fang would fall out. He wanted to go home, get away from these strange people who regarded him as the strange one for being “ normal ” or “ average ”. He considered sneaking out the window, but he was certain they would track him down. He was in no shape to be running and jumping out of windows anyway.

I'm stuck here . Hoseok sighed.

He had begun to fall asleep when a loud slam of a door bolted him upright. His heart pounded in his chest as he pulled his sheets closer.

What was that?

Hoseok tensed, hearing heavy footsteps.

“Where is he?!” A loud voice demanded, coming from the hallway.

“What are you going to do?” Hoseok heard Seokjin.

He scrambled out of bed and made for the window. Just as he pried it open, the door to the bedroom flew open.

Hoseok whirled around to face a heavyset man and Seokjin. The man looked annoyed while Seokjin looked surprised. Hoseok guessed Seokjin hadn’t expected him to make a run for it.

“Hoseok, this is Bang Sihyuk.” Seokjin glanced between the two.

Hoseok moved away from the window and bowed. “Hello.”

“Jung Hoseok is it?” Bang Sihyuk raised an eyebrow looking him up and down.

“Yes, sir.”

“Call me Bang.”

“Yes, Mr. Bang.”

“He doesn’t look anything special.” Mr. Bang smirked turning to Seokjin. “But then neither did any of you.”

Seokjin managed a hesitant smile.

Hoseok could see the worry in his eyes. He was wondering what Hoseok was wondering.

What was Mr. Bang going to do with him?

“When does the fang come out?”

“Tomorrow or the day after that.” Seokjin replied.

“Bring him to me next week.” Bang said. “We’ll talk then Jin.”

“Yes, sir.” Seokjin bowed as the man made his way out.

“Wait wasn’t I going home after the fang--” Hoseok stopped as the man turned and stared hard at him.

Hoseok looked at the ground, closing his mouth.

The man then left the room, closing the door, and leaving Seokjin and Hoseok alone.

Seokjin let out a deep breath, relief in his eyes.

“Who was that?”

“Bang is our boss.”

“The drug kingpin?”

Seokjin laughed. “You still on about that?”

“I have no other theories about you.” Hoseok admitted with a shrug.

“How about this, we’re monster hunters dedicated to protecting Seoul and the outside lines from monsters, like the spider that nearly killed you.”

“Is that a joke?”

“No.”

“I...I don’t know how to say this, but did you hit your head on the way here?”

“You’re funny,” Seokjin laughed.“I’ll explain more tomorrow. Tonight, get some rest.”

“Okay.” Hoseok nodded, knowing better than to ask for more information.


 The next morning Seokjin invited him to breakfast.

“Are you going to explain all that monster stuff you said last night?” Hoseok asked, sitting up.

Seokjin smiled. “You mean that we’re monster hunters?”

“Monster... hunters ..?”

“Yup.”

“So...what about Mr. Bang? What does he want from me?”

Seokjin shrugged.

Hoseok sighed and stood up. “This is crazy.”

Seokjin only nodded before handing him a shirt and jeans to wear, then escorting him out of the room and to the kitchen. It was a wide room with a counter separating the kitchen from the dining area. He sat beside Jimin, giving the boy a hesitant smile.

The boy returned it, before cramming his mouth with rice as Seokjin set plates of food down and one by one the others emerged. Taehyung sat on his other side with a smile and Yoongi sat across with a frown, beside him was a boy he hadn't seen before. Namjoon was beside the boy, his eyes glued to his phone.

“That's Jeon Jungkook.” Jimin motioned to the boy with black hair and slightly big nose and front teeth.

Jungkook nodded politely. Hoseok returned the nod.

“And you know the other hyungs right?” Jimin asked through a mouthful of rice.

Hoseok nodded, feeling Yoongi’s gaze in particular burning him. He refused to look back, instead focusing on his rice.

Seokjin sat down with a container of kimchi beside Taehyung and they all settled down to eat.

“Hoseok, do you like pork or beef better?” Taehyung spoke up.

Hoseok chewed thoughtfully. “Both.”

Taehyung smiled. “Good answer.”

Jimin gave him a thumbs up.

Yoongi scoffed.

Hoseok glanced at him. “Do you not like meat?”

“I don't like indecision.”

“Indecision would be not being able to make a decision, but as you can see I did.” Hoseok retorted.

Yoongi was seething now. Hoseok wondered if he was used to everyone taking his comments and going along without a challenge.

He better get used it then. Hoseok thought.

He wasn't about to let himself get pushed around so easily.

“Choosing both is indecision.” Yoongi finally replied as Hoseok was about to take a spoonful of soup. He set it down and glared at Yoongi.

“No it isn't.”

“Yes it is.” Yoongi insisted. “You have to choose one.”

“What if I don't want to?”

“Then its indecision.”

“If you could have both Min Yoongi, wouldn't you?” Hoseok raised his eyebrows.

By now everyone had stopped eating and their full attention was on them. Jimin and Taehyung were gaping and Jungkook stared with wide eyes. Namjoon looked over from the safety of his book and Seokjin spooned his soup, looking uneasy.

Yoongi who had met his gaze with such intensity, finally backed off. He turned his head and focused back on his food.

“I like this guy.” Jimin spoke up as the peaceful atmosphere resumed again. “He’s brave.”

“Don't get too attached.” Yoongi muttered.

“You neither.” Seokjin smiled. “Once he leaves, you'll have to pick on Jungkook again.”

Jungkook flinched and looked pitifully at Yoongi. “Please don't hyung.”

Yoongi scoffed again and shot a look at Hoseok before looking down.

Hoseok didn't bother to comment, he had enough for the day.


 Seokjin had given him a book over monsters to pass the time. The idea of the people in the house he was living in being monster hunters was ridiculous. The idea of monsters being real was even more ridiculous.

But then what bit me?

That hadn't been close to a regular sized spider, that hadn't even been close to the size of the biggest spider in the world.

And what had Seokjin said, something about that spider being a baby . Hoseok shivered and shook his head, trying to rid himself of the memory of the creature crawling up his body.

He turned page after page of the book coming across giant spiders, werewolves, even vampires. He sighed and set the book to the side as the bedroom door opened and in came Yoongi.

“Here to check on the wound.” He explained.

Hoseok nodded and slipped off his shirt, laying down as Yoongi approached him. He placed a hand on Hoseok’s hip while the other undid the bandage. Hoseok felt his skin tingle under his cool hands and he met Yoongi’s eyes.

Yoongi immediately looked away and pulled back. “I think the fang is ready to come out. It’s not going to fall out on its own though, it has to be pulled out.”

“Can Seokjin pull it out?” Hoseok asked. He still felt Yoongi's hands on him, especially the one that had been on his hip.

“He won't be back for a while. I can do it right now.”

“Uh…”

“It won't hurt.” Yoongi reassured. “Probably.”

Hoseok frowned, earning a chuckle from the man. He softened at that and gave a small smile.

“Ok…”

Yoongi pulled out a pair of tweezers from his hoodie pocket. Hoseok stiffened, clenching his teeth as Yoongi’s hand pressed on his stomach.

“Relax.” Yoongi said in a low tone.

Hoseok shivered and closed his eyes willing himself not to think of how smooth and delicate Yoongi's hand was. He then felt the tweezers press on his side, the cold metal making him shiver again. He opened his eyes and looked down at the sudden pinch of pain.

Hoseok watched in horror as the long black fang slid out of the hole in his side. He felt his head spin and his vision grow blurry as Yoongi finally pulled it all out. Weird ooze trailed after it along with blood.

“I'm going to pass out.”

“Just breathe.”

Yoongi moved away, disposing the fang in a nearby trash can. He turned back, as Hoseok learned to breathe again, and shot him a smile.

It was a genuine smile, the kind that made his eyes crinkle into crescents and his gums show.

Hoseok felt a strange fluttering in his chest and he tried to look away but he couldn't. He didn't want to.

“Thanks.” He found himself saying.

Yoongi's smile vanished and he was serious once again. “You can't leave though.”

“I know. I'm real sorry Seokjin got in trouble.”

“Nah, it was his fault.”

“Are you guys really monster hunters?” Hoseok asked as Yoongi bandaged him up. He noticed the man was careful not to touch his skin, and he wondered why he felt slightly disappointed.

Yoongi nodded at the question and pulled away from him with a small smile.

They fell into silence as Hoseok placed his shirt back on and Yoongi put away the tweezers and threw away the old bandages.

“You better keep reading.” Yoongi motioned with his head to the book beside Hoseok as he made his way out. Hoseok smiled and nodded, failing to see Yoongi smile back before closing the door.

Left alone with his thoughts, Hoseok immediately placed a hand on his hip recalling Yoongi's touch.

Why had he gotten so worked up over it? There was no way he found Yoongi attractive, he was a jerk. He was serious and negative and bitter. Hoseok didn't need that kind of person in his life, much less in his heart.

No , he decided. It was just me being sensitive because of the fang. Nothing more, nothing less.

He turned his attention back on the book as his door opened again and Taehyung and Jimin bounded in with a tray in between them.

“We brought food!” Jimin announced.

Hoseok sat up with a smile.

“Eat up!” Taehyung set the tray in front of him.

“Thank you.” He told them, tucking into the food.

The two boys stayed in the room, eyes following his every bite and chew. Hoseok finally broke into a laugh at the sight of their anticipation.

“What is it?” He asked.

“Want to play Just Dance?” Taehyung asked with a grin.

Hoseok nodded.

It would be nice to do something other than lie in bed all day and since they all knew of his existence it wouldn’t be bad to have more interactions with the residents of the house.

“He’s on my team!” Taehyung yelled as they made their way out of the room. Jimin gave him a shove and rolled his eyes. “Whatever, Jungkook and I will beat you guys.”

Jungkook was already in the living room, sitting on the couch with a controller. He turned at the sound of them entering and smiled.

He bowed politely to Hoseok and Hoseok nodded.

They each grabbed their controllers and split into teams. Hoseok stretched and shot Taehyung a smile as they settled into their positions. Taehyung gave him a thumbs up in return.

Despite everything that had happened in the past couple of days, Hoseok felt a rush of happiness as he danced along with Taehyung. His body still had the strength to move quickly when it came to dancing. His dance crew had joked that even at the age of ninety with crippling arthritis, Hoseok would still be popping like it was no one’s business.  

As the song finished up, Hoseok stood panting, turning to the others with a smile.

“Wow, were you a dancer?” Jimin along with the others had wide eyes of admiration.

“Yeah.” Hoseok pulled at his shirt, attempting to cool down. He felt his side ache, but he ignored it.

“Dance for us!” Jimin’s suggestion began a chant between him and Taehyung. Hoseok laughed and felt himself giving in.

“I need music.” He replied.

“Put something on!” Taehyung smacked Jungkook’s shoulder and the boy raced to a nearby stereo to shove something in.

“Hey gentleman 
wait a minute. 
You pray for my failure. 
Sorry i have no problem , 
Mo money mo problem .”

As the music blasted out from the speakers, Hoseok immediately picked up the beat and pace of the song.

“You played hyung’s mixtape!” Jimin exclaimed. “He’s going to be mad!”

They however, failed to move to take it off as they watched Hoseok move.

“Wow.” Taehyung said. And the others agreed.

Hoseok smiled as the three boys took to the couch, watching and clapping with the song.

They stopped suddenly at the sight of Yoongi coming in.

“What the fu…” Hoseok met his eye as he danced and watched as the man stood perplexed.

Jimin raced to take out the CD. Hoseok came to a stop, panting and holding his side.

“Stop grabbing things that don’t belong to you.” Yoongi hissed as he snatched the CD from the boy’s hands. He glared at Hoseok. “And you shouldn’t be moving so much! Go rest!”

“Sorry.” Hoseok smiled and the man stormed off with a huff.

Taehyung grinned. “I’m surprised he didn’t yell at us.”

“Or hit us.” Jimin added.

“Is he an artist?” Hoseok asked. “Or a producer?”

“He was a rapper.” Taehyung explained. “Now he just makes stuff for himself. No one is allowed to listen or anything, it’s not fair!”

“He’s possessive.” Jimin nodded. “Like Gollum from Lord of the Rings.”  

“He’s passionate about it.” Taehyung clarified.

“Yeah that’s true.” Jimin agreed.

“He would take you all for lamb skewers too, if you behaved.” Jungkook chided, shaking his head.

Taehyung and Jimin exchanged glances.

“Look at this muscle pig.” Jimin scoffed.

“No respect.” Taehyung tsked.

Jungkook shook his head with a smile, then left. He waved goodbye to Hoseok on the way to the hallway.

“Maknae’s getting a ego.” Taehyung commented once the boy was gone. “Ever since he was made a pro.”

 Maknae? ” Hoseok’s eyebrows raised. Jungkook was bigger than Jimin and slightly competing with Taehyung in height. He was also fit, strong looking enough to carry Hoseok without a sweat. He was the youngest? And what was a pro? A professional weight lifter?  

“He’s buff right?” Taehyung joked. “That’s why we call him Muscle Pig Kookie.”

Jimin laughed, then frowned when his wristwatch beeped. He pressed a button to stop it then sighed.

“Mission?” Taehyung asked.

Jimin nodded. He then turned to Hoseok. “I have to go, goodnight.”

“Goodnight.” Hoseok replied.

Jimin clapped Taehyung’s shoulder then ran off.

“I’ll help you back to your room.” Taehyung offered when it was only him and Hoseok left in the living room.

“I am pretty sore.” Hoseok admitted as he leaned into Taehyung and they made their way to the room.

“When Jimin said mission, did he mean like a monster hunting thing?”
“Yeah.” Taehyung replied. “We tend to go choose a mission then set an alarm when it’s time to go. Sorry the hyungs can probably explain this better.”

“You explain just fine.” Hoseok smiled.

Taehyung smiled and ducked his head.


Taehyung practically tucked the man in as Hoseok settled in.

“Thanks.”

Taehyung smiled and nodded. “Get some rest.”

Hoseok smiled, as the boy patted his head softly before leaving. Taehyung was cute and energetic, unlike that Min Yoongi who had been quick to shut down the party.

Who knew Yoongi had been a rapper before becoming whatever it was Seokjin said they were.

Hoseok couldn’t help thinking how he would never be able to give up what he loved. With an attitude like his, Hoseok wondered how Yoongi had.