Haven

My Haven Will Always Be You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My Haven Will Always Be You
 


Baekhyun sighed as he rode their company van back home from another tiresome, jam-packed schedule. He peered out the window, letting the cool, night breeze thread its tendrils through his hair, ruffling it and calming his busy mind.

He had been away from home for far too long again for work. It's been months since he had seen his long-term boyfriend, Chanyeol. Although they knew the consequences of dating and trying to make a relationship work in their occupational field, their love had begun to die and fade as they saw each other less and spoke less.

Their last phone call had struck a nerve in Baekhyun, snapping it as if it were the only string left holding onto Chanyeol.

Chanyeol hadn't remembered their 5th anniversary.

So many hours... days... months... years spent together, trying and struggling...

Enough... was enough.

As their humble abode came into view, Baekhyun closed his eyes, trying not to regret his decision.

He slid off their engagement ring and placed it into his coat pocket. Chanyeol's coat pocket, to be exact.

When had he begun to rely so heavily on Chanyeol for all of his necessities?

When were their lives so intertwined?

When did Baekhyun begin to live and breathe Chanyeol?

...And when had he stopped seeing the sun shine?

Baekhyun jingled the key in their front door after waving goodbye to his driver and entered.

The house was dimly glowing golden lights throughout as always. Chanyeol was always practical, saving energy when he could, seeing as how he was home alone for the majority of the time, locked away in his studio.

"I'm home..." Baekhyun half-heartedly called out while removing his shoes and dropping his luggage case at the foyer.

Nothing greeted him back.

There was no giant, running out of his room as if it were Christmas morning.

There were no puppy kisses.

No 'wahhh! Baek!!'

No one to carry his case away.

No one asked how his day went, how the trip went, how work went, nor how he's been.

There was no one to lift him off his feet to carry him off to the bedroom to show how much he had been missed and how much he was still adored.

It was silent.

Baekhyun curiously laid his eyes on the doorknob of their shoe closet. A small, yellow sticky note was attached to the knob, lightly, as if it was hurriedly placed, but had enough care put into it to be neat and straight.

His heart ached, a feeling he didn't know he still possessed.

The thoughts began to fly in his mind.

Was it a note about Chanyeol leaving?

Did he break up and leave Baekhyun before he could do it himself?

Was Chanyeol out?

Was he cheating on him?

Did he find someone to make him happy?

...Did Chanyeol get exactly what he deserved? A warm, welcoming home? With fresh flowers every week? With a dog that resembled his mannerisms? With lots of open windows that always welcomed the sun's rays and warmth? With a love who always reminded him that his heart was the most precious and valuable treasure, anyone could ever find?

Baekhyun shook his head, "No. Chanyeol would never cheat. He isn't that type of person..."

Even if I had been breaking his heart slowly...

Baekhyun quickly took it before his mind could persuade him to run away from its contents, whatever truth it holds.

He was going to break up with Chanyeol anyways, what would it matter?

Find me.

Baekhyun sighed in relief before he scolded himself for doing so.

He didn't have time for this game.

It would be less painful to do it as quick as possible.

Baekhyun walked straight to Chanyeol's studio, taking a deep breath before opening the door.

The room was only lit by a small nightlight in the corner.

A pink note was attached to it.

Baekhyun leaned against the door after retrieving the note and closing the door behind him.

I wasn't that easy

when you first flirted with me

was I?

Tsk, tsk, try again.

He sighed again, dropping his arms in frustration.

Baekhyun bit his lip in thought before proceeding to the kitchen.

Empty. Dark.

Baekhyun knew Chanyeol loved a chase, a puzzle, riddles to crack.

That's why he fell for Baekhyun in the first place, he had more than one secret, hidden by his sweet smiles.

A pain he had never shared with anyone until Chanyeol came along.

Chanyeol burdened it and eased his worries.

He promised Baekhyun that he could be loved.

Baekhyun walked to the fridge, remembering a time they were happy as he passed between the counter island and stove.

"Baek~ I'm hungry~ Feed me!" Chanyeol whined upon shutting the refrigerator door closed.

Baekhyun was preoccupied, practicing a new song he had to perform tomorrow night at an award show as he was sauteeing a quick dinner.

Chanyeol sneakily reached around Baekhyun, turning the fire on low and placing a lid on the pan before wrapping his arms around Baekhyun.

"H-Hey, Ch-Chanyeol! Put me down!" Baekhyun demanded as he blushed, squirming out of Chanyeol's hold.

Chanyeol nuzzled his forehead against Baekhyun's stomach. "No, I'm hungry, now~"

"Then put me down, so I can finish making dinner!"

Chanyeol placed Baekhyun down on top of the island counter in the middle of their kitchen.

Fingers mischievously hooked on to his pants' belt loops.

Baekhyun let his fingers get lost in Chanyeol's hair, watching him with curiosity.

He smiled and looked back into Chanyeol's eyes, adoring every little thing about him in a split second. "Chanyeol... I need to practice for tomorrow, and I can't feed you like this. What are you doing?"

Chanyeol grinned back. "You're a little flat on your high note, and I think I know a perfect way to warm up your vocals...and satisfy my craving..."

"You mean, kill my voice and make you more hungry, while delaying my practice?" Baekhyun asked as Chanyeol's fingers were already playfully inching towards Baekhyun's zipper.

"Isn't this where we would end up for dessert anyways...? In my defense, I'm saving us time. ...Come here."

Baekhyun smiled before claiming Chanyeol's lips.

Baekhyun smiled sadly at the counter as he held the refrigerator's handle, remembering he was late to his performance the next day after they nearly burned the house down.

He opened the doors and peeked inside.

His smile dropped as he looked around.

When did their house start to reflect Baekhyun's heart?

Empty.

His eyebrows scrunched together.

This can't be it. He wouldn't make it this easy after the first two.

Baekhyun began to open and close drawers, pausing only when he popped open ice cube maker in the freezer.

He shivered as he pulled out a blue sticky note.

I know...

We've been cold lately.

...I'm sorry.

Let's warm things up a bit again.

If you want to continue, find the next note.

If not, well

Baekhyun immediately held a hand over his heart that had clenched so tightly, he bent over from the pain.

He picked himself back up.

He had to know what was the second option, if he wanted to break up with Chanyeol.

Heat, heat... heat...

Baekhyun scanned over and in the microwave, stove, and oven. When he ended up empty handed, he rushed over to their fireplace. Without a care, he pushed and tossed aside the pile of wood logs not stopping to question when they had even gotten there.

The first and last time they used it was a Christmas he could barely remember.

"Why do we own a fireplace, Chanyeol? That's what a heater is for."

"That's like saying what are hugs for when you have Snuggies. It's for certain purposes...like setting the mood..." Chanyeol replied as he dusted off his hands after igniting the wood.

"Mood for what?" Baekhyun asked naively.

Chanyeol embraced Baekhyun before pulling him down to sit in his lap in front of the fireplace.

"First of all, I get an excuse to hold you for long periods of time while you're distracted."

"Distracted with what? The fact that you're using something we're going to have to clean when the heater is effecie-"

Before he knew it, Chanyeol hovered over Baekhyun, the both of them already out of breath from their kisses.

Baekhyun glanced down at themselves.

He arched an eyebrow at Chanyeol, who was absolutely giddy while preparing himself.

"When did you get so good at taking off our clothes without me noticing?"

"When we used the fireplace and you got distracted."

"Distracted? Who me? By the pretty fire that isn't efficien-"

Chanyeol collapsed on Baekhyun as their act of intimacy died down.

Sleepily, he pulled a fleece blanket over the both of them.

"Pretty efficient in my opinion. I think that's the fastest you-"

"Chanyeol. Shut up."

"...Are we keeping the inefficient, fireplace?"

"Yes, we're keeping the mood-setting fireplace."

Baekhyun panted hard as he continued his search in the fireplace.

Was Chanyeol kicking him out?

Were his things already packed?

Baekhyun quickly peeled off the orange note off of the underside of the last log.

Sorry, did you think I was going

to continue that last option?

I would if it was an option

But it isn't

I'm not sorry by the way

for making you look desperate

It's cute

Baekhyun snapped his head up at the ceiling, screaming out his frustration, "CHANYEOL!!! WHERE-"

His face slackened, dumbfounded.

Baekhyun squinted his eyes, angrily reading the green note posted on the ceiling directly above him.

Nice to know I can still

make you scream my name

...Remember what happened after here?

Baekhyun crumpled up the sticky notes he had collected and thrown them into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter