Forever after

In Health and In Sickness

“I’m not going to school anymore.”

Taekwoon’s mouth and eyes widened slightly when Hakyeon mentioned that. They were both sitting on Hakyeon’s bed after Taekwoon came from school. Hakyeon still had the tube in his nose, restraining his usual movements because he was still trying to get used to it and Taekwoon was being extra careful. In the end they almost seemed like they were glued to the bed instead of sitting lazily.

“But, exams…-” Taekwoon tried to say and Hakyeon cut him off.

“I’ll stay with Eomma at home until exams day and we’ll hire tutor for me…”

And Taekwoon thought maybe it was not so bad. At least it lessen the possibility of Hakyeon’s symptoms of shortness of breath from recurring. He could still see Hakyeon after school. He won’t be missing him much. Yes. That was what he thought. Eventually, Taekwoon relaxed again, nodding his head.

“And, we’ll move out of town after that.”

Hakyeon stated very softly, simultaneously he avoided Taekwoon’s eyes to only stare at his own clasped hands.

“M-Move… where?” Taekwoon asked, nervous.

“Away… to a countryside.. Appa said it’s far but everything’s arranged already.” Hakyeon explained, biting back the tears threatening to fall.

Taekwoon took some time before the words sank in. He bit the inside of his cheek out of frustration. Why only tell me now?

“When?”

“Our flight is right after my exams…” Hakyeon answered meekly.

“That’s in 3 weeks time.”

“Yes, Taekwoon.” Hakyeon replied after he eventually gathered enough courage to face Taekwoon again.

“Yes, in 3 weeks time, we’ll move out of Seoul to a countryside and this is all because of me! Because I can’t breathe properly and I’m getting worse!”

Hakyeon let out his frustration and his guilt of having to have his family going through hardships to care for him and to provide the best condition all for him. And most importantly he was feeling very guilty towards his lifelong friend, Taekwoon. Having just worried him for fainting at school, having him ditched his soccer practice, having him walk extra mile to visit him and having to leave him for his own good, for his own well-being. Hakyeon let his tears fell down his face.

“A-Appa said the air is cleaner there… the air is fresher… He said I’m going to get better there..” He continued, while earnestly waiting for Taekwoon’s response. But then, the latter said nothing.

‘Why you are only telling me now?!!’

Taekwoon was stuck in their childhood memories. Hakyeon’s words were hard to digest but weirdly enough Taekwoon was already recalling their past memories together and how each of that memories seemingly have Hakyeon erased from them. It was already hard for him to climb uphill to school everytime Hakyeon was absent, and now how could he managed more climbs without Hakyeon by his side, completely? If he made visiting Hakyeon at his house as routine, how could he manage without doing so after this? Taekwoon was just about to get comfortable around the Cha’s again and now this happened. 3 weeks would gone by so fast. Oh god. Please turn back the time!

“Taekwoonie! You can just scold me for being selfish, I don’t mind! I deserve it! Please… Please say something, Taekwoon-ah…”

Taekwoon looked up to reveal that he could no longer prevent the tears from wetting his face. But, he still stayed silent. To see that Hakyeon had been crying himself, Taekwoon carefully went closer to wipe Hakyeon’s tears away. Then, he slowly stood up from the bed.

“I’ll come by again tomorrow.” He said simply and his back.

 

The next day, Taekwoon did not come no matter how long Hakyeon waited for him. Hakyeon’s calls and messages were ignored by him. All because Taekwoon could not bear to see his lifelong friend when he was not ready at all. Thinking about Hakyeon would only brought him back to their bright childhood and the fact that Hakyeon was leaving him. He could not bear the thought of having no figure called Hakyeon in his adult life when he was so used to the latter’s presence throughout his lifetime. After school, Taekwoon spent the rest of of his day locked up in his room. So did the next day. Again and again. Until a week passed. And Taekwoon regretted himself for taking so long to recover.

 

“Hakyeon-ah.. it’s me.. T-Taekwoon… Can I come in?”

Taekwoon said after knocking on Hakyeon’s door when there were 2 weeks left before Hakyeon’s moving.

There were scrambled of feet; loud, rushed footsteps from the other side before the door was cracked opened hurriedly and, in the blink of an eye, Taekwoon was already in Hakyeon’s arm. Being hugged so tightly.

“Taekwoonie! I thought I was not going to see you again! Taekwoonie~~”

Hakyeon whined and cried into his shoulder and Taekwoon welcomed the touch with relief, as happy as he could. He missed this.

Hakyeon too. A week without seeing his lifelong friend did affect him. He did not know how to manage without Taekwoon, 2 weeks from now. Can he do it? He could not answer, only tightening his hug on Taekwoon.

Only when the Hakyeon calmed down did Taekwoon tried to pull him inside his room and rested on his bed. Just after a week, Hakyeon had the tube removed from his nose.

“I’ll use it again if my condition become really bad...” Hakyeon said.

Ah. So he did not get rid of it completely. Taekwoon thought. For a moment there he thought his best friend was getting better and they might not have to move but it was the other way round.

“I’m so sorry for what I did… I wasted a week of our time…” Taekwoon started very apologetically.

But Hakyeon only smiled. He took Taekwoon’s hand in his.

“Never mind…there are still 2 weeks left. I should be sorry. I didn’t tell you any sooner. I thought…” Hakyeon swallowed back his tears. “I thought I’m doing the favour for both of us…”

“There are still 2 weeks left…” Taekwoon squeezed Hakyeon’s hand gently and tried to smile for a bit. They had wasted a week, they could not afford to waste more time pitying oneself and self-blaming.

Hakyeon slowly but eventually recovered. He tried to put the thoughts of leaving Taekwoon behind and focused to enjoy their moments to the fullest.

It was Taekwoon who invited him to go out for a bit.

“But, you know I can’t walk for long… I don’t want to ruin the fun..” Hakyeon replied dejectedly.

“That’s fine, I can carry you on my back… or we’ll bring that wheelchair and I can push you…” Taekwoon assured him confidently. He also made sure that Hakyeon put on his face mask when they go outside.

Hakyeon had chosen to abandon his wheelchair because he did not want to be seen by someone else other than his family members and Taekwoon sitting on it. He felt the world would stare at him. Thus, Taekwoon casually offered his back.

“Only when I’m tired, my legs can still function now.”

Hakyeon slapped his back lightly but Taekwoon, being himself was being so dramatic over it, feigning hurt, groaning and arching his back because of it. It successfully made Hakyeon laughed so hard.

“It’s been so long since I see this drama queen side of you!”

“Do you like hurting me?”

Taekwoon complained, still frowning over the light slap.

“Well, you give the best reaction!”

And so they walked around the neighbourhood. Hakyeon had sweater draped around his body to fight the cool air. For quite some time, no one said anything at all. They just enjoyed each other’s company in silence. Miraculously, Hakyeon had not feel that tired. Instead, he enjoyed and felt lighter because of it. Probably because it was with Taekwoon. He made him feel safe, just like back then when he chased away the group of bullies in middle school.

“Do you already have plan after high school…?” It was Hakyeon who first spoke between them.

Taekwoon slowed down his steps because of the question. Well, he had pictured in his head that maybe he would live together with Hakyeon in a rented apartment; splitting the rent between them, went to university together, he would probably enrolled in sports science and Hakyeon in literature. Hakyeon would still probably about crossing the road. Then, Hakyeon would come to see his first soccer match in university. He would probably bring a large sign bearing Taekwoon’s name and screamed the loudest. Any one of them would bring some friends over during weekend to drink and just enjoy. Go to a blind date together too. Pretty much everything that Taekwoon pictured has Hakyeon in it, just like how they were in kindergarten until high school. But, things changed. The picture won’t turn out like how he imagined it to be.

“I don’t know… yet…” Taekwoon lied. “Play soccer maybe.”

“Ah. That’s already a given! I mean other than that..??”

“Nah.” Taekwoon just shrugged.

Sensing Taekwoon’s passiveness, Hakyeon decided to stop asking altogether.

“Me too.” Hakyeon continued, monotonous. “I don’t know what I want to do after high school… Would I even make it passed high school…? I’m scared.”

“Why would you say that?!” Taekwoon interrupted him with a piercing gaze.

“Sorry…” Hakyeon replied, laughing the matter off lightly. “How about school then..? How our Taekwoonie cross the road~?”

Taekwoon had to look away shyly when Hakyeon mentioned that. True he still feared the road.

“I follow other people behind them.”

Hakyeon felt proud hearing that. He knew now Taekwoon would have no problem living without him.

“Uphill?”

“Quiet and tiring.”

“Cafeteria?”

“Food tastes bland.”

“Field?”

“Green.”

“Soccer?”

“We won at province level.”

“Classes?”

“Boring.”

And Hakyeon’s list of one word question went on and on until Taekwoon finally caught Hakyeon had started to pant lightly.

“Let’s go back home… get on my back Hakyeon-ah…” Taekwoon said.

Hakyeon’s mind had gone a little fuzzy from the lack of oxygen. He only leaned on Taekwoon for a bit and Taekwoon did the rest. Hakyeon felt sorry but he was in no position to response until he had rested for a bit.

Hakyeon’s arms started encircling loosely around Taekwoon’s neck, while his head resting on his shoulder after that.

“I missed going to school with you…” Hakyeon murmured weakly.

 

Taekwoon made sure to come everyday in the span of 2 weeks. They would sometimes spend the day inside Hakyeon’s room or Taekwoon would accompany Hakyeon to go out for a bit. Each and everyday, he saw more and more stuffs at Hakyeon’s home were packed into boxes. Taekwoon thought he has readied his heart for the farewell.

When the two weeks passed, it was as if Taekwoon had shutdown himself from the world, contrary to what he initially thought. One because of the exams, but for the most part, he could never be ready to see Hakyeon leaving. Even at the exam hall, Taekwoon could not seem to look into Hakyeon’s eyes anymore when they spoke. Hakyeon was no different. It was just that, Hakyeon was more of an expert in hiding his true feelings. He stayed the same in everyone’s eyes.

 

At the airport, Hakyeon was on his wheelchair after being forced by his parents. There, he waited for Taekwoon to come. But, he did not. Not even a glimpse. Hakyeon desperately begged for his parents to stay a little bit longer before they went into the departure lounge, already crying.

“Please… I did not get to say a proper goodbye to him… Eomma, please..!”

“Honey, we’ll miss the flight if we do that…” Hakyeon’s mother had been so patient. “You can call him later when we arrive…”

“It’s not the same! Please, Eomma… please stay for a bit, Taekwoon will be here, he promised to see me until I leave…” Hakyeon sobbed but it was to no avail.

Hakyeon’s father had been stricter than his mother. He pushed the wheelchair into the lounge while Hakyeon was still pleading and crying.

 

Away from the little family retreating into the boarding lounge, Taekwoon stood hiding behind a pillar. He was too unsure, too afraid, too brokenhearted, too miserable to face Hakyeon and said his farewell. It was all the negative, gloomy emotions mixed up in his mind and heart that prevented him from inching closer to the family. In the end, he decided he would just hide away even though it meant to break his promise from meeting Hakyeon till his last day in Seoul. Taekwoon was afraid if he was to see him, he could not let go of Hakyeon accordingly and peacefully and he knew that would only trouble his best friend even more than himself.

 

For weeks after the school was finally over for seniors like Taekwoon, Tae retreated to his room and locked himself up. Only coming out to eat and greet his family for a bit. Hakyeon had been trying to call him over the phone and other messaging apps but all were left unanswered by him. There were also a lot of missed video calls from Hakyeon, even tons of messages from his best friend. But Taekwoon was too hurt over the separation, he chose to ignore all of it.

At the other side of Korea, Hakyeon settled himself at a village in Jeju Island. His father was right; the air there was cleaner and fresher. Greens and the ocean surrounded them. Hakyeon quickly learnt to love the new place. But he also missed the busy Seoul. Most importantly, his lifelong friend.

All his calls and messages were ignored and for the first few days there, Hakyeon had been crying a lot, whining and complaining about not being able to reach Taekwoon. During all of that, Hakyeon was left drained after his episodes of crying which caused him to passed out and sleep till evening the next day. The family had almost thought it might be a wrong decision to move here until Hakyeon himself recovered.

He’d wake up the next day asking to be accompanied to walk at the beach. And since then, he seemed to be coping well like something just clicked in him just like that. He made no more calls or messages to Taekwoon, his last message being only a simple ‘I missed my lifelong friend’. Hakyeon decided to focus on getting better. That would be the least he could do to repay his family and Taekwoon’s efforts in caring for him all this while. And no one in the family dared to mentioned Taekwoon’s name unless Hakyeon himself brought it up, which rarely happened after that.

[Months later]

“. . .”

Taekwoon cursed himself in his head after waking up late one morning. It was supposed to be the first day of orientation and his alarm clock decided to mess up. He hurried out of the dorm, not properly putting on his sneakers and ran through the hallway until he finally got to the main hall. Students from all over Korea were already filled up the hall and Taekwoon was lucky because of his height and lean built he got to squeeze in between those people to at least get to the centre. Not too front or too far back.

Days without Hakyeon thought him to be more accepting and more independent. He hardly cried anymore even though he was missing his old best friend. Like today. The first day of university and Taekwoon already made a few friends here and there, distracting him from the picture of his wish to enroll to a university with Hakyeon. Instead, he was pretty much so ecstatic and looking forward to the rest of the day. It was informed that the first day of orientation was only for half a day. Mostly to settle their registration. All the first year students would be free after that and Taekwoon looked forward to it the most because he already planned to discover more about this city he moved to.

Hakyeon walked slowly along the beach he always frequent to since his move to Jeju. A face mask was still over his face after the few months. It was just as a precaution. His condition improved. There were lesser episodes of him being too tired or on the verge of passing out anymore. He tried to become active again, slowly. Little exercises now and then, just as much as his body could do. The villagers too had been very helpful. When they knew Hakyeon was sick, they were so generous in offering him all sorts of veggies and herbs to help him. That may be the reason why he’s feeling healthier. Still, the doctors had to prescribe stronger dosage of medicine for him. He may be feeling healthier because of the positivity around him but it did not change the fact that his illness is incurable. However, Hakyeon gained the confidence to say that he would live a little bit longer, at least.

The walk was all peaceful and breezy. Hakyeon let the sand cushioned his ever steps and sounds of the waves hitting the shore became his music. Walk like this reminded him of the many walks he had with Taekwoon, the silence and comfortable kind of walk. This was comfortable too. But, back then it was warmer and Hakyeon missed them a lot.

“Cha Hakyeon..?”

That voice. That voice made Hakyeon halted his steps abruptly. No. It cannot be. Hakyeon thought it must be his imagination since he was thinking of Taekwoon earlier. So, he walked again.

“Cha Hakyeon.”

The voice resounded again. This time louder and accompanied by hurried footsteps. Hakyeon already felt his eyes b with tears as he slowly turned around.

He could not believe his eyes at all. There, not far from him, Taekwoon stood tall, wearing his favourite ripped jeans and tshirt. Taekwoon had a sling back which he then threw to the side.

Hakyeon swallowed the lump in his throat. He uncovered the face mask he’d been wearing.

“T-Taekwoonie..?”

Upon seeing his best friend there, his face exposed, Taekwoon felt this unexplainable butterflies feeling in his stomach.

“Hakyeon-ah!”

Without wasting any time, Taekwoon ran to his lifelong friend, arms spread to envelope him in his tightest bear hug ever. He buried his face in the crook of Hakyeon’s neck, sniffing his scent. The scent that he became so used to yet one that he longed so much.

Hakyeon only registered that this all was not his imagination when Taekwoon’s warmth enveloped him. The cold beach suddenly felt so warm. He felt the end of Taekwoon’s hair pricking his neck, his voice murmuring his name close to his ears. This was all real. This was real. Immediately he hugged Taekwoon’s back after that. Just as tight as Taekwoon’s.

Hakyeon was the first to break out, sobbing in Taekwoon’s arms loudly.

“Where have you been..?! You were not there at the airport… You didn’t answer my calls.. m-my.. my messages…I tried.. I tried many times b-but you were gone… Taekwoonie… I’ve missed you so much!”

Taekwoon in turn, patted the back of his head gently. He had nothing to say except for words of apology. Saying them again and again while occasionally trying to calm Hakyeon down from sobbing too hard. Even that, he accompanied it with ‘I’m sorry’

Times passed and they finally were seated on the sand, legs tangling with each other, facing the ocean. Taekwoon’s one arm was around Hakyeon’s shoulder to prevent him from the coldness.

“What are you doing here..? You hate me didn’t you?” Hakyeon prodded, eyes puffy from crying and his voice was still trembling.

“I found you finally.” Taekwoon answered, pulling Hakyeon’s closer.

“What do you mean?” and Hakyeon casually leaned in, resting his head on Taekwoon’s shoulder.

“For months I tried to recover from missing you too much. I was afraid I would hurt a lot if I were to answer your calls…” Taekwoon answered and Hakyeon could not help but felt guilty.

“It’s okay though. I learn to grow more than just a lion cub.” Taekwoon smiled widely. “I’m real lion now, I’m an adult and I decided to study here. At the place where I know you’re here...”

“You what?! Really?” Hakyeon’s ears perked up and he pulled away a little to look into Taekwoon’s eyes.

“Hakyeon-ah, I decided to leave Seoul and applied to university here… I’m so sorry for wasting months of our time, now I really want to make it up to you, let’s spend as much time together here.”

Taekwoon explained to him carefully. Hakyeon could not respond as he was still trying to digest them. Taekwoon took the opportunity to continue.

“My university is only… a little bit more than 30 minutes from here… I stay at the dorm. I came to Jeju 3 days earlier to ask around about you and today after the first day of orientation, I found you…”

Hakyeon was touched. He blushed and he cried and Taekwoon from being a crybaby even at such ‘old’ age already. Hakyeon could not retaliate. He was too busy mumbling incoherent words while crying slightly. Not for long though. Hakyeon knew now how to control himself and be calm.

“Have you had girlfriend now, our dear hamster Taekwoonie~~?”

There it came, Hakyeon’s sweet voice teasing Taekwoon.

“Nah. Long distance relationship won’t work.”

“Wooo… trying to sound cool..”

“No I’m not. How do you think I can spend time with her if I’m going to take care of you..?”

“Hm?” Hakyeon tilted his head cutely, wondering.

“I’m going to come by everyday and take care of you, Hakyeon-ah.”

Before Hakyeon could say anything, Taekwoon shut him up with a kiss.


The End! omg I'm happy with how this turn out to be and I had so much writing it and I hope you too had fun reading them!

I hope this one is okay, it may be a bit lame lol but yay! They ended happily ^^^^^^

I'm so sorry for any mistakes or if any of you in uncomfortable with the mention of illness in this story. Again, I am in no way is informed adequately about COPD. I read up a bit and the rest were my imaginations.

lastly thank you so much for the comments, subscribes and upvotes!! and thank you for spending your time reading this!

Remember to pay attention and love those people around you~ aaaaaand I love you all! ^^^^