In sickness pt2

In Health and In Sickness

Instead of going back home, Hakyeon’s father rushed to the hospital. With Taekwoon tagged along clad in his jersey, too scared to even utter a word when he was questioned on why he had unconscious Hakyeon in his arms.

“Uncle… the boys came at him, like… surrounding him, I think that’s why..- Uncle Cha, I’m so sorry!”

Taekwoon was sitting, clasping his hands together so tightly as he explained himself to Hakyeon’s father. The older man was pacing back and forth the whole time since Hakyeon was admitted to the ward and the doctors went to check on him. Taekwoon felt the ultimate guilt starting to build up in him as he held back the tears threatening to just pour out from his eyes when he remembered how Hakyeon just faltered into his arms earlier.

“I am so very sorry, Uncle Cha.. I.. I didn’t mean to leave him alone..!”

Hakyeon’s father stopped pacing and came to his side, squeezing his shoulder.

“It’s okay Taekwoon… It’s okay, you did so well helping him earlier…”

Hakyeon’s father tried to smile, to try and comfort him. In any other situation, Taekwoon might have accepted the genuine gesture and returned the smile. But as of that moment, he could only blamed himself, nothing could calm him down unless he saw with his own eyes that Hakyeon, his best friend was still alive.

Not long after, a doctor appeared from the room and Hakyeon’s father seemed to be familiar with him as he directly went to ask him about Hakyeon’s condition. The doctor said, Hakyeon was fine and they were allowed to visit him now.

In no time, Taekwoon rushed inside but then, he also noticed that the doctor wished to speak to Hakyeon’s father, hence the older man could not join Taekwoon despite how he badly wanted to see his son.

When Taekwoon was inside, again, he was met with the painful view of his sick friend. An oxygen mask over his face and there was this annoying beeping sound in that quiet room. Taekwoon immediately found himself to be hating them.

Hakyeon seemed to be awake but his eyes were half-lidded. Hurt. Taekwoon’s heart hurt so much to see his once energetic friend was so weak right now. He wished they were kids again and he wished Hakyeon would be running with him, chattering non-stop. Taekwoon promised himself that he would never ever scold Hakyeon for his chatters again. Can I please turn back time, dear God?

“Taekwoonie…”

There, the only person who called him by that name. Hakyeon used to beam so happily each time he would call him by that name. Hakyeon would tilted his head so cutely to his side, his pearly white teeth showed with that wide smile on his face each time he would say that name.

But, this time, it looked uncomfortable for him. Like it was so hard and painful for him to be speaking with a mask over his face. Even Hakyeon’s voice did not sound like Hakyeon. This voice sounded too raspy, too weak. God. Taekwoon really wished they were young once again.

“Hakyeon-ah...”

Taekwoon replied with his almost cracking voice. Then, he did no more other than that. Not even moving from his standing spot. The guilt came back creeping up in him. Taekwoon felt he did not deserve to be visiting Hakyeon. He should not be forgiven for causing such pain to his best friend when he was supposed to protect him.

But, Hakyeon reached out his hand so slowly. He reached out because he wanted Taekwoon to come closer. And just like that, as always Taekwoon would give in. he would do what Hakyeon wanted him to, like giving up the swing at kindergarten for him. And for now, he walked closer and hold onto Hakyeon’s hand as softly as he could.

“Please don’t blame yourself…”

Hakyeon whispered weakly. And Taekwoon was silent. Only the beeping sound filled out the room. But then, Taekwoon shook his head.

“I just…got worse… not you, Taekwoonie…”

There, Taekwoon let the tears he had been holding back to flow out silently after Hakyeon’s words finally sank in.

“Please don’t cry… my Taekwoonie… p-please…”

Hakyeon stuttered his words and he visibly tried taking in deeper breathes and Taekwoon panic mode just set in. He got closer to Hakyeon’s bed and saw the latter was just starting to cry silently himself.

“Okay okay I’m not crying.. see Hakyeon-ah, I’m not crying..”

Taekwoon hurriedly wiped away his tears after he said that.

“I’m a lion cub.”

Taekwoon announced, and Hakyeon broke into a small smile. A beauty that could never be hindered by the oxygen mask nor all the pain.

 

The news about Hakyeon’s condition was quickly affirmed by Mr Cha after he could finally entered the room to see his son. The doctor from earlier had explained that Hakyeon’s condition would further deteriorate, there was no cure. The medications they prescribed could only buy them some time from further worsening. Hakyeon had been very accepting. He said, he could heard what the staffs were discussing earlier. Mr Cha on the other hand, broke down in front of the two boys. If Taekwoon was already so hurt from the news, he could not imagine how the father felt about his son’s illness.

Soon enough, Hakyeon’s mother and sisters came barging into the room. All were wearing that puffy, red eyes looks signalling that they had been crying. As careful as he could, Taekwoon backed away, providing space for the little family. Without a goodbye, Taekwoon left the room.

Hakyeon was devastated when he learnt that later.

 

Morning came and Taekwoon waited at the usual place where he would ride the car together with Hakyeon to school. Unfortunately, there was no sign of them at all. He decided to walk alone to school. The road he walked on used to have Hakyeon beside him, greeting him ‘good morning’ and offering his bag straps for Taekwoon to hold onto. But now that Taekwoon walked alone, he realized how big the space Hakyeon had left, the uphill road seemed the most tiring when before, it felt nothing with Hakyeon’s constant friendly chatter.

Taekwoon ditched his soccer practice that day because he wanted to meet Hakyeon so badly. The latter was still warded and from what he was informed, it might take Hakyeon a week to be warded for further observation. Taekwoon went home first to pack extra clothes and school uniforms before he rushed to the hospital. He told his family that he was going to stay overnight at the hospital.

Hakyeon’s sister was with him when Taekwoon arrived with his backpack since it was her turn to look after Hakyeon that night.

“Can I stay too..?”

Taekwoon asked and he earned a puzzled look from Hakyeon.

“But, you have school tomorrow..”

“I bring extra clothes.”

Hakyeon’s sister gave in when Taekwoon seemed so determine. Only one guardian was allowed to stay with the patient at the hospital.

“I’ll come back early morning tomorrow, okay boys.. take care!”

Taekwoon climbed onto Hakyeon’s bed that night after his best friend offered him to, saying that the bed was large enough to fit them two, besides it was too cold that night, “I need some warmth or I can’t breathe properly…” Hakyeon cutely whined.

“This feels like kindergarten again! Remember when you used to sleepover at my house because you’re too tired to go back home…” Hakyeon murmured when they lied down side by side.

Taekwoon merely smiled at the memory and he wished the night would stay longer because Hakyeon seemed so genuinely happy like he was back then during kindergarten.

 

Taekwoon made it his routine to stay the night every other day until Hakyeon was allowed to be discharged. He was there to greet his healthier looking best friend, helping with what he could. However, Taekwoon also noticed that Hakyeon’s father brought a wheelchair with him. He did not question though, knowing that it might be for future use. Hakyeon was walking by his side, while the eldersin the family had walked way ahead of them.

“Can’t wait to get back to school tomorrow!”

Hakyeon chirped as per usual. Taekwoon felt thankful to hear that, but he also noticed the faint coughs Hakyeon tried hard to suppress just from having to walk to his father’s car.

Taekwoon slowed down his steps just so Hakyeon won’t have to exert much energy to match his pace.

“Why? Nothing’s interesting in school..”

“There’s Taekwoonie~ my best friend! I want to spend as much time with you!”

“Mhm.. if you say so. I’m not gonna leave you alone this time.”

Hakyeon laughed, “Taekwoonie, I told you many times, it’s not your fault!”

“Still, if I was there, they wouldn’t tease you like that.”

“It’s not like you have control over what happened..”

“I’m the captain and –“

“Now now! That’s enough of blaming..”

Hakyeon sighed when they reached the car. Hakyeon’s stuff was already unloaded into the car, only waiting for its owner. Standing there, Hakyeon panted. Talking and walking at the same time tire him out.

“Wow. I’m already out of breathe..” He laughed it off before offering Taekwoon a ride.

Taekwoon felt guilty. If only he was brave enough to tell Hakyeon to stop talking. But then again, Taekwoon loved Hakyeon’s voice and chatter. He then, politely declined the offer since he needed to be at school for the team’s weekend meet up. Hakyeon was a bit disappointed but he was so looking forward for school.

 

Back in school, Taekwoon did as he had promised; not leaving Hakyeon alone. They went through the usual routine together. Taekwoon usually being there whenever Hakyeon was beyond tired and needing shoulder to lean on, literally.

Rumours quickly spread about the two but none cared enough to be affected by it. Taekwoon so focused on making sure his friend was okay, and Hakyeon so focused on making sure they both had good time together, not wanting to waste his time in school succumbing to his illness.

 

Everything was going so well without any hiccups until Hakyeon was down with a cold and had been coughing for days. Taekwoon had been the first to notice that his best friend was looking sluggish even when it was just the first period of that day when usually Hakyeon would be looking vibrant. He too noticed that since few days ago, Hakyeon’s coughs became more frequent.

Hakyeon never sleep in class except when it was lunch break. But this time, Taekwoon noticed Hakyeon had been lying his head on top of his two hands on the desk not even halfway through the lecture. His heart skipped a beat.

The teacher left and Taekwoon rushed to Hakyeon’s desk to see that his friend was shivering, hands balled into fists.

“Hakyeon-ah…?”

Taekwoon called, agitated. When his put his hand on top of Hakyeon’s fisted ones, it was cold. Very cold.

Hakyeon slowly tried to pull himself up, to reply to Taekwoon, but what came out of his mouth was mere coughs. Eventually the coughs worsened and Hakyeon started wheezing. Taekwoon took no time to carry his best friend to the infirmary and shouted for someone to bring Hakyeon’s bag; where he knew Hakyeon kept all his medicine. It really took all of Taekwoon to withhold his tears from falling upon seeing his one and only best friend suffered.

Hakyeon was taken home after his condition stabilized. His father came with a wheelchair and Taekwoon saw it all, how Hakyeon was wheeled out of the school with the wheelchair, with a blanket covering his still shivering body and it broke his heart more than anything. Taekwoon wished the ballerina Hakyeon would come back. He did not want to lose his friend this way.

“Taekwoonie… I-I’m so sorry… I must’ve scared you…” Hakyeon stammered as his cold hand encircled Taekwoon’s warm one before they eventually left the school.

And Taekwoon had not been able to say anything, except silently nodding.

 

That incident in school seemed to be the last straw before Hakyeon had been absent from school from that day onwards, even when final examinations was just around the corner.

Taekwoon realized that when Hakyeon was absent for the next two days. His mobile phone was unanswered. Hence he gathered enough courage to call Hakyeon’s father asking for Hakyeon. It was such a big slap to his face reminding him how sick his best friend was when Hakyeon’s father explained that Hakyeon fainted just after he was home and had been in and out of consciousness since then. They had doctor to come to their house to check on Hakyeon and now what Hakyeon’s father could only assure was that, Hakyeon was sleeping. Taekwoon felt his stomach twisted so weirdly at such words.

“He woke up for a bit last night… and… he sleeps again, since then…”

There was a deep sigh Taekwoon heard from the other line and Taekwoon could only imagine how miserable Uncle Cha felt having to explain about his sick son. Just how he felt miserable hearing it.

“I’m sorry..” Taekwoon replied sadly, biting on his lip. “Can I come over today, Uncle..?”

“Of course! Who knows Hakyeon might wake up hearing you here…”

 

Taekwoon did come by but only later that night. Hakyeon’s parents had been so welcoming. Especially Hakyeon’s mother who’d exclaimed that it has been so long since she saw Taekwoon in their house again. It reminded him that he rarely went to Hakyeon’s house anymore after their middle school.

They led him to Hakyeon’s room. The same room he had been using since middle school. The air and the ambience stayed the same. Taekwoon felt like he was walking down the memory lane, like he could hear Hakyeon’s casual talk and laugh from the outside. Except that when he came in, it was a sorrow silence. There was no active middle schooler Hakyeon, only a sick high schooler Hakyeon. His eyes were closed as tightly as he could and there were tube on his face that fits just inside his nose. Hakyeon needed extra oxygen hence why the tube, as Hakyeon’s father explained before he left the room. This room felt just like hospital. Taekwoon was so sad.

“Hakyeon-ah… please don’t die..”

Taekwoon said, sounding almost begging. “I still want to take care of you… like how you always did when we cross the road…”

He was hoping wholeheartedly for Hakyeon to wake up but there was nothing except slight twitches of his cold fingers which Taekwoon held onto like his life depended on it.

Taekwoon excused himself that night with a promise that he would come by again tomorrow and Hakyeon’s father in turn promised to inform him if Hakyeon had wake up.

 

God probably listened to Taekwoon’s desperate prayers for Hakyeon’s well-being because he received a 4 AM text from Hakyeon’s father that day saying that Hakyeon woke up. He woke up for real. Though it was at an ungodly hour, Taekwoon was beyond happy. He called Hakyeon first thing in the morning that day before he went to school.

“Hakyeon-ah, it’s a relief!” was what he said as soon as the call was connected.

Hakyeon was giggling slightly.

“I’m so sorry to scare you like that… Appa said I was out for 3 days…”

Hakyeon’s voice sounded weaker than usual but it was as if Taekwoon could see his best friend had an apologetic smile on his face.

“It is fine.. so long as you wake up again…”

Hakyeon smiled sadly.

Then, Taekwoon continued, “I have to go to school now, will see you later after school okay? Wait for me!”

“W-Wait! Are you not scared of crossing the road, without me, Taekwoonie..?”

“Told you I’m a lion cub.” Taekwoon replied though his heart wished Hakyeon was with him.

“No, you’re cute little hamster Taekwoonie~”

“Shut up.”

Hakyeon giggled a little bit louder and Taekwoon felt he was going to melt.

“Be safe on your way, Taekwoonie~”


Suddenly got a bit longer than I imagined! >< Sorryy ^^; and thank you for reading!