four

Astral

Inna hadn't even finished her first class of the day, yet she was starting to become quite disgruntled. It was a history class and the professor had made a point to assign a few projects already, all of them having some sort of partner work to it. Though she didn't harbor negative feelings towards Jimin, she absolutely hated group projects and would rather do them by herself. 

Despite that, it seemed like he was a hard worker and actually was pretty smart, so it wasn't as bad as it could've been. 

"So how do you want to split it up? Do you have a number I can contact you with?" 

Inna answered his questions with brief sentences, and Jimin merely nodded understandingly. 

"We should meet up soon," he stated without looking up from his notebook, where he was writing down random notes. "It'd be better to compile everything together. My dorm room's pretty big if you want to meet there and it's usually quiet." 

Inna was shocked that he was actually inviting her to his dorm and wasn't sure what to say. It didn't seem like he understood the magnitude of his words, until he looked up in confusion to see Inna staring at him, flustered. 

"Oh don't worry," he added. "I won't do anything. I'm not like that. My roommates will be in there as well, so nothing is going to happen."

"Oh okay..." she mumbled, clearly still uncomfortable with his offer, though she knew she shouldn't be. 

"It's up to you," Jimin said. "It's your grade anyway." 

The way he said it rubbed against her the wrong way, but Inna pretended as if everything was fine. "I guess I'll see you later then..." 

"Yeah," he mumbled, and that was the end of the conversation.

 

 

*

 

 

Her next class was with Jin, so as Inna made her way around the hallways, her mood was starting to lighten up. It wasn't like she hated being near Jimin or anything, but it was just tiring being in a class with no one that she knew, and at least being with Jin would be a bit more comforting for her. She quickly walked inside and was pleased to see that he was already there, settling in a seat by the back of the classroom. 

He caught her glance and waved happily at her, saving the seat next to him. Unlike the seats in history, her previous class, this room was arranged with individual seats, which was unfortunate because this time, she would've been more comfortable with Jin, but she wasn't complaining. 

"Hello Inna! How was your last class?" He asked as she was settling in her chair. 

"Oh, it was alright. I had history, so it's not too hard," she replied. "You?" 

"Tiring," Jin immediately groaned. "I had math and even though I'm good at it, it's just so boring." 

"Ah, I understand that feeling," she giggled to herself. "I had a really hard time with math when I was younger, but I'm not so bad anymore."

"Well if you ever need any help, I'm here!" 

Inna smiled in thanks, and suddenly noticed a familiar boy walking towards them. He was someone in Jin's friend group, but she couldn't recall his name quite that well, and she wasn't sure if it started with a J or an H. 

"Hey Taehyung!" 

Apparently it was neither a J or an H. 

"Hey," the other male greeted, rubbing his eyes tiredly. 

"Did you just wake up or something?" Jin laughed and Taehyung nodded slowly. 

"Bio was boring, so I just took a quick nap." 

Inna blinked in surprise. Her mother had told her that the teachers tended to be quite strict at Yonggu Academy, so she was definitely in awe that he was able to pull off a stunt like that, but Jin's friends had definitely managed to surprise her plenty of times in the past few hours. 

Taehyung finally noticed Inna sitting next to his friend and raised a hand to greet her. 

"Hey Inna," he said and she was once again astonished; she didn't even think he remembered her name, but she didn't make a fuss out of it and merely waved back at him. 

"Hello Taehyung." 

He plopped into the seat next to Jin and groaned in reluctance. "I hate English," he muttered, mostly to himself, but Jin still laughed. 

"Most of us do, but at least you're decent at it."

Taehyung flashed a skeptical glance over at the other male and scoffed, "Stop trying to impress me, I won't fall for you like the girls that always flock around you. I bet Inna's already head over heels for you."

"Don't assume that," Jin complained. "She's not like that." 

Taehyung raised a brow and suddenly looked at Inna, startling her. "You're not in love with Jin?" 

"No," she shook her head, feeling a sudden rush of deja vu. "I'm not." 

"Oh, strange. Everyone loves Jin," he mumbled, falling back to his seat. 

Inna guessed that everyone was in love with Jungkook, as well as Taehyung himself, along with Jin, and all the other boys in their posse. She vaguely remembered Jion's words and recalled how she said that they were extremely popular amongst girls for their good looks and intelligence, supposedly. For her, she couldn't deny that she was definitely interested in Jungkook at first, but now, she found all of them strange. There was no denying that they did have good visuals and they were probably quite brilliant, but they were more than they seemed to be, and she was not going to be tricked by someone's appearance again. 

In spite of that, she felt like such a hypocrite. How was she going to demand that others stop focusing on her lineage and her appearance, when she herself did that to others? It was wrong, but she was working on it, slowly, yet surely. 

She snapped out of her thoughts as Jin repeated her name, and turned to face him in confusion. "Pardon?" 

"I said, Jimin just told me that you sit next to him," he repeated with a light chuckle. 

"Oh yeah, I do," she nodded, her face growing hot with embarrassment. 

"How's that?" Taehyung asked. 

"Slightly awkward, but hopefully it'll get better. We're working on a few group projects together," Inna said. 

"Ah, I see. Me, Jimin, and Jungkook are roommates, by the way. I'm just saying that because I assumed that Jimin probably invited you to work together at our dorm," Taehyung replied, and Inna felt a cold chill run down her spine. 

For some reason, she seemed to always get involved with Jungkook in some sort of way. It was strange; she didn't ask for it, but her life seemed to be extremely coincidental in that way.

"I'll see you sometime soon then," Inna said and Taehyung merely nodded back.

"You're more talkative than I thought. When you were with Jion, you were pretty much silent the whole time," he commented and she chuckled, slightly flustered. 

"Yeah... I'm surprised myself."

"I'm not!" Jin voiced out with a grin. "She's more than what she looks to be! She's really formidable, you know?" 

"I can tell," Taehyung nodded and Inna felt happiness bubbling inside her stomach. She hadn't even noticed that tidbit about herself and wouldn't even dare to say it out loud, even if she had the chance, but Jin seemed to watch over her carefully - and she appreciated that. 

"Thank you," she smiled bashfully, hoping that her slightly pink cheeks didn't show her embarassment.

Just as she was starting to settle into conversation with them, she was disappointed to see the teacher walking in. Luckily, she had a large smile on her face, so she didn't seem to be too strict, but Inna still prayed that she got to keep her seat next to Jin. 

"Hello class! My name is Ms. Won. It's nice to meet you all! If you haven't noticed yet, I'm a human!" She said, proudly showing off her not-so-sharp canines. "Despite that, I am very comfortable with vampires and I don't fall for any weird tricks you may have up your sleeve! Anyway, since I'm so nice, I'll allow all of you to remain in your current seats for the year. I'm going to pass around this clipboard with the seating arrangement, all you have to do is write your name in the corresponding seat! Don't try to mess around and put other students' names on random spots though - I'll put you in a place you don't want to be in." 

The clipboard was passed around and Inna felt relief in her entire body. Despite that, she did catch a few glances from girls who glared at her threateningly and tried not to meet their gaze for too long. 

Why were they doing that? 

She sat in confusion, wondering what she could've possibly done to upset them, but after thinking about it for another minute, she realized that she may have found herself in the crossfire of the other girls by sitting next to Jin and talking to Taehyung. Inna didn't realize it at first, but the boys were truly loved by plenty of girls at Yonggu and she had definitely underestimated how many girls there were that actually fangirled over them. She might have just put herself in a predicament.

It was only her first day, but she had pretty much killed her chances at making friends with most of the girls at the school and knowing that, she just wanted to scream into a hole. Despite that, there was no way they would ever do anything to her right? 

After all, she was a part of the esteemed Yang family. 

And that was probably one of the very little perks that came from her prestigious lineage. 

 

 

*

 

 

After what seemed like forever, Inna had finished her first day of school. As the day dragged on, it seemed to become more and more tiring, especially due to the fact that she got stared at even more when Jin would walk with her and talk to her in class. She was sorely convinced that ninety-five percent of the female population held a grudge on her, and to make matters even worse, she had two classes with Jungkook: her first and last one. 

She would've been fine with just one, but no, they just had to give her another class with him, and this time, he was seated right next to her. Life was already tiring enough, but Inna felt as if ten years were taken off her lifespan. Luckily for her, though, they didn't switch seats in her last class, so she got to sit where she was and didn't have to interact with Jungkook, but she was convinced that if she did, she would get even more glares because according to Jion, Jungkook happened to probably be the most coveted person out of his friend group. 

With a sigh, she entered her dorm, and immediately rushed straight to the safety of her blankets.

It didn't seem like any of her other roommates were back yet, since it was eerily quiet throughout the entire dorm, but Inna didn't mind. She took this opportunity to rest for the first time the whole day and perhaps it was because she hadn't been to school since she was on break the whole summer, but it wasn't as easy as she remembered it to be.  

Then again, she didn't have to deal with strange boys that happened to be loved by most of the female population before. 

Just when she thought she could finally have some peace and quiet, she heard her phone ring loudly and when she checked the caller ID, she saw that it was her mother. 

"Hello?" She meekly said, as she accepted the call. 

"Hey Inna! How are you?" 

"I'm alright," Inna replied. "You?" 

"A little lonely. I miss you and Inhyuk." Inna could tell that her mother was pouting, just by the tone of her voice. 

"I miss you too," she breathed, truly feeling extremely homesick. She just wanted to be back in the comfort of her own room and in the presence of people that actually knew her well. 

"It's okay, winter break is coming up really soon," her mother sympathetically said, and Inna sighed silently to herself. 

"Not fast enough though," she mumbled back. 

"I know sweetie... But it's okay! I know you'll do great. You have the blood of fighters!"

"Thank you," Inna replied, feeling conflicted about her mother's statements. In spite of that, she tried to believe in herself. "I should go now, I'm about to head out and get some food."

"Okay. Take care of yourself out there and don't forget to call home! Your dad should be home in a few weeks and he really misses you," her mother hinted and Inna laughed weakly. 

"I'll call. See you," she said, waiting to hear her mother say goodbye, before ending the call. Even though she said she was going to get something to eat, she wasn't in the mood to do so at all. She just wanted to lay in bed all day and try to adjust to her new environment, but it just seemed so impossible when she had to put up a facade everywhere she went. 

In spite of that, she found it entirely relatable to her brother, who definitely had to put up a cheerful facade all the time. He was pretty talented at what he did, Inna wasn't going to deny that, but she was jealous. It was an amazement to her that someone could pretend to be someone they're not for so long, and she definitely admired him for that.

Inna was snapped out of her thoughts as the door to the room opened and Jion walked in with a loud groan. 

"Oh, hello," she said, as she saw Inna peeking from her covers. 

"Hello," the other girl greeted back.

"Sorry, was just frustrated about homework. How was your first day?" 

"Horrible," Inna stated flatly, staring at the ceiling. "I think all the girls hate me."

"Why do you say that?" Jion asked, rummaging through her closet for comfier clothes. 

"I think I have been given way too many interactions with those guys," she replied, hoping that her roommate knew who she was talking about. She was pretty sure she got her point across, though, when Jion tensed up and immediately looked back at her. 

"You're in trouble."

Inna was not comforted by her ominous words. 

"I know," she mumbled, burrowing even deeper into her covers. 

"So what are you gonna do now?" Jion approached Inna, sitting on the edge of her bed and awkwardly patting the other girl's knee. 

"Don't know."

"That's not a very comforting answer." 

Inna wasn't sure what to say and Jion just looked at her sympathetically. "It'll be fine," she added. "After all, no one is going to try and do anything to you and if they do, well, they'll have me to answer to!"

It was Jion's way of trying to comfort someone and it was somewhat brash, but Inna appreciated it. It made her feel cared for. 

"Thank you," she breathed, trying not to seem too bashful. 

"Well, we should get something to eat," Jion coughed, changing the subject. "Comfort food is always good in moments like this. Or all the time actually." 

Inna was surprised. When she first met Jion, the other girl seemed to be quite gruff and cold, but after spending a few hours with her, she could see that Jion was just misunderstood and had a hard time with her emotions. 

In spite of that, she was genuine and Inna liked that about her. 

"Sure." 

Her small room could never give her the same comfort that she felt in her room at home, but Inna was starting to feel like she belonged there, and that's all that mattered to her at the moment.