The New Semester

Excuse Me?

The new semester has begun. Jungkook stood in front of the gate. It was still early. So early to start a new school life. He let out a soft sigh. The next one year, what story will be written on his journey? He closed his eyes then pray. He wished this one year will be fun. He stepped his right foot into the school gate. Now, the new semester will officially begin.

He entered his classroom and chooses the back row seat in the right corner. The purpose you were come early to school in the new semester was to tag the back row seat, right? Jungkook wasn’t the type to found out who will be his classmates beforehand. He want to keep it as a surprise. He smiled when he looked at the student who entered the classroom. The next year surely will be fun. Mingyu, Jaehyun, Taehyung and Dokyeom. One by one, those four people entered the classroom. They were his teammate in soccer team. He was very close with all of them.

Two things that made Jungkook love to go to school were soccer and his friends. He loves soccer ever since he was little. He was talented athlete. He entered his current high school thanks to his soccer ability. His score wasn’t help that much. He barely studying. His head only full of soccer and practice. Luckily, this high school was famous for their soccer club. This is the dream school. The school academic rank was the second highest in this district. That’s why he considered himself “lucky” for being accepted as a student in this prestigious high school. He become a student in this school through “achievement path”.

Jungkook can’t focus on the lesson as usual. He listened to the teacher but couldn’t understand the whole thing. He only focused on the first 15 minutes. Jungkook was known as environmentalist due to his hobby to plant trees on his notebook. Strangely, although he didn’t really that smart, he choose science major. He said, he was bad remembering things, he had rather did the math problem than to remember all the sociology theories.

Time flies really fast. The bell was rang. Jungkook pack his belonging and quickly went to Taehyung’s desk and help him packed. He can’t wait to change his shoes into soccer shoes then running in the field. He and his teammate arrived at the soccer club room. There was no practice for today. He was quite upset at first, but then he found out that was because today they gonna have farewell party.

In his school, the 3rd year student was forbidden to participating in any club activity. They should focus on their study. The former captain, Woo Jiho, and the rest of senior members gathered on the room. The gave their last speech and didn’t forget to remind their junior about the rules and left some advice. Today, Jungkook was also choosen as the next captain by winning the absolutes votes from all the soccer members.

There was a soccer competition for high school every year. Last year, his school end up being a runner up. That’s why Jiho and the other seniors want them to took the champion. Jungkook smiled brightly and said, it was his goal to take the first place winner in that championship. The preliminary round will be hold one months from now and the final will be hold in the second semester, one month before the final test.

“Hey, I am still hungry. Wanna grab some ttoekpokki and sundae?” Taehyung asked his friends to join him after the farewell party.

“Sounds great. I’m in!” Jungkook happily accept those offers. Mingyu can’t attend because he has something to do. Jaehyun and Yugyoem also can’t join them. They said they were on diet. Meanwhile Dokyeom volunteery accepted that offers. He has nothing to do he said.

“Why we go so far only to eat tteokpokki?” Jungkook stared at Taehyung and Daekyeom with annoyed expression.

“Come on. It wasn’t that far. I heard from my cram school friend, this place sell a delicious tteokpooki. As food lovers, it’s an obligation to eat delicious food,” Taehyung prepared his phone to take a selfie.

“And you? You aren’t food lovers like Tae. And I wonder why you quickly say yes to Tae’s offer. Not because of the tteokpokki right?” Jungkook gazed at Dokyeom.

“Of course. I come here to eat. Not only my for my stomach, but also for my eyes,” Dokyeom showed a naughty smile.

Jungkook felt so annoyed. Now, he knows why the others refuse to join them. Jungkook and Dokyeom tag a place for them to eat. They let Taehyung to choose the menu. Dokyeom was busy looked at the surrounding. He smiled brightly and talked excitedly whenever he saw a cute and pretty girls. Jungkook felt uncomfortable. Not because of Dokyeom, but because they still wore their school uniform. This tteokppokki stand was located near the girls high school. Jungkook stood up and come over to Taehyung. Taehyung took so long to choose the menu that made Jungkook become impatient. He want to get out from there as soon as possible.

“What took you so long?” asked Jungkook, standing beside Taehyung.

“I can’t choose between this package. Should I order cheesy tteokpokki with extra kimbab or spicy cheese tteokpokki with sundae. I want both,” Taehyung looked so confused.

“Then just order both. I’ll pay one box. You and Dokyeom pay the rest. Now, go back to our seat, I'll be waiting for the orders," Jungkook intentionally waiting for their orders because he didn't want to hear Dokyeom fanboying over a girl.


Next to him, there was a girl who was eating one big sized tteokpokki with sundae. Jungkook took a glance to the girl and felt amazed. How could she eat the whole portion by herself? What made her catched Jungkook attention not only because she eat the big portion, but also because she was eating while reading a book! As expected from the 1st ranked school. The students were studying even while eating. Jungkook was mesmerized by her and unconsciously kept watching her. Feeling she was being watched, the girl turned her head. Jungkook was caught. He was startled and quickly looked into another direction. Luckily, their orders were ready. He wanted to leave quickly because he was dying with embarrassment. Jungkook awkwardly took the boxes from the Auntie. Unfortunately, his luck didn't last long as he stepped on his shoelace and for a second lost his balance. He bumped into someone behind him. He turned his back and found out the mess that he created.


"Oh, I am sorry!!!" Jungkook was panic while looking at the girl whom uniform got stained by tteokppokki sauce.


He run over to Tae and Dokyeom, put the boxes on the table and gave an emergency sign with his face.


"Help me, please. This tteokpokki all on me," Jungkook panicking.


"Call!" Tae and Dokyeom smiled.


Taehyung took out wet tissue from his bag. He stared at Jungkook and panned his head towards the girl. Jungkook took the wet tissue then walked to that girl.

 

"I am very sorry," Jungkook gave her the wet tissue.


"It's okay. I am fine. It's just sauce anyway," the girl took the wet tissue then tried to wipe her uniform.


"You should wash it as soon as possible unless you want your uniform to have a new pattern," Dokyeom suddenly stood beside Jungkook. Jungkook gave an annoyed face. Dokyeom's word just made him become guiltier. He looked at Dokyeom and sent him telepathy. "If you just want to make things worse, then get lost!". And, it seems like Dokyeom could read that message. He gave Jungkook a smirk.


"Here, you can use this. It's better to wash the stain. This is new shirt, you don't need to worry," Dokyeom gave her the white long sleeved shirt. She looked at Dokyeom and hesitated for a bit. But, she took it and run over to the nearest cafe.


They went back to their seat. Taehyung already eat half of the tteokpokki. Jungkook remember that he hasn't paid their orders. Jungkook paid their order and added one more portion to replace that girl tteok that spilled because of him. The girl finally coming back. She walked towards Taehyung and Dokyeom wearing Jungkook shirt which looked like an oversized shirt on her.

“I am sorry about earlier,” Jungkook apologized once again.

“It’s okay. It was an accident. I am grateful you lent this shirt so i could wash the sauce before it stained on my uniform. Anyway, what’s your name? I am Lim Nayeon. Nice to meet you,” the girl introduce herself.

“Hi! I am Dokyeom, he is Taehyung and that one is Jungkook. We were from next door school. We came here because we heard this place sell a delicious tteokpokki,” Dokyeom reach out his hand and Nayeon shook it.

“Yeah, it is delicious! You guys come to the right place!” she agreed.

“Ah, here! Jungkook bought it for you. This is a replacement for you tteokpokki that he spilled,” Taehyung gave a box of tteokpokki to her. She thanks Jungkook and eat that deliciously.

Nayeon got a phone call and not long after, she hang up the phone, she excused herself to leave first. Before she left, she asked Jungkook for his number. She wanted to return his shirt. She thanked him then she called her friend again and rushed over to the main street.


"You hit the jackpot, baby! She looks so cute wearing that oversized shirt. " Dokyeom punched Jungkook's arm.Jungkook took a tteokpokki and forcefully put it into Dokyeom mouth.

"Thank you for the food!" Taehyung finished the last piece of sundae. He then took a picture of the empty bowl.

"Anyway, thanks for the help," said Jungkook while they were walked home.


"You don't have to. We know you are very bad dealing with girls," said Taehyung.
 

"Yes. We should help this monk to adapting. There is also a creature called woman. Huh, I wonder if you will get a girlfriend," tease Dokyeom.
 

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Rather than worrying about my life, you'd better preparing for our club recruitment next week. I want the poster design finished in Wednesday. We should hurry. There is no time to waste," Jungkook suddenly become serious.
 

"Alright, captain! The design only needs the final touch then we could print it out,"
 

"Great! Now let's hurry, the bus is coming,"

***

"Woah, awesome! He applied to our club!" Taehyung was amazed.
 

"Who?" Jaehyun asked. Curious about this dude that made Tae amazed.
 

"Kim Namjoon. The first rank in entry exam," Taehyung replied. Their conversation suddenly stopped as Jungkook entered the field.
 

"Now, everyone gathered! First I'd like to say welcome to soccer club. I'm Jeon Jungkook, sophomore and also the captain. As you all already know, the competition is right in the corner. 3 weeks again the first preliminary round will began. So, I'd like the new members to practice hard. I will cut the introduction. You will know each other as you practice. Now, let's warming up and began the practice!" said Jungkook.


The soccer team was practice together. They even did sparring game between the juniors. Jungkook assigned the sophomores to observe their junior's skills.


"Hey, don't you think the weight of practice is too heavy for them?" Taehyung began the conversation after the practice ends.
 

"Yeah I do think so. I am afraid there are many of them who want to give up," Dokyeom added while changing his clothes into the clean shirt.
 

"But, it is best when they quit now than later. The remaining members must be the one who really want to join. We don't need someone who don't have strong intention," Jaehyun disagree with Taehyung and Dokyeom.
 

"I agree with Tae and Kyeom. Back in the day, if it isn't because of you guys, I will quit this tiresome club. Despite of my love for this sport," Mingyu admitted his past.
 

"Uuu our Mingyu is so sweet. But, going through hell practice together will tighten your bond with your teammates. Besides, if we can do this, why can't they?” Dokyeom teased Mingyu.

 

But somehow, I'm afraid they thought we are bullying them. So, in my opinion, it will be best if we reduce the practice intensity for now and slowly increase when their body are fully adapted," Minghao gave a solution.


"That's the best solution I've heard. I vote for you. Now, Captain Jeon, what will you do?" asked Jaehyun.


"I bet my one week allowance, he didn't realized the practice is too hard," Mingyu quickly said it before Jungkook gave an answer.
The entire team was laughing at Mingyu's fact attack.

“Laugh as much as you want. But, thank you anyway. I won’t know if you guys didn’t tell me. Next time, since I can’t relate with your physical capacity, I will let you guys arrange the practice,” Jungkook apologizes and laughing Mingyu’s fact attack. He realized that his body was slightly stronger than his friends. Thanks to the practice he did since he was a kid. He has athlete quality body.

“Sure, I will voluntary do that job. We can’t compare our physic with superhuman like him,” Dokyeom confidently took that job.

“Hey, should we treat the juniors to the theme park? As a present and to thighten our bond?” Jaehyun throw an idea.

“That’s great! We should gave them a surprise. Told them go gather on Saturday at 9. Make sure every single one of them come. But don’t tell them we are going to them park,” Jungkook agreed with Jaehyun idea.

***

“Yo, Seungkwan!” Dino called Seungkwan who were looking for a seat. Seungkwan quickly walked towards Dino.

“What are you doing here? You aren’t going to school?” Seungkwan cautiously looked around.

“Nah, I am not going. I planned to skip today training. Why should I go to the hell practice especiallly on the weekend. I’d rather enjoy my precious rest day,” Dino sipped his cappucino.

“Moron! If you want to skip the practice. You shouldn’t come here. I just met senior Taehyung. He saw me, but I don’t think he recognize  me. Thanks God, there are a lot of new members. He just walked away without calling me. I am afraid I might met other senior, so I hide here for a while,” his explanation made Dino understand why he looked cautious.

Dino felt his phone was vibrating. He looked at the screen. Unknown number was calling. He hang up the call. That number called again, but he kept ignoring. Dino and Seungkwan wait in the cafe until the clock showed 9.30 AM. They felt safe because they thought the practice already start and there were no seniors who will rumming around this area.

Dino and Seungkwan left the cafe and decided to go to PC Room. Suddenly they heard someone call their name. It’s Haechan. Their middle school best friend. They decided to went to the PC Room together. Haechan suddenly stop talking and lowering his head. He grabbed Dino and Seungkwan’s arm and made them walked quicker.

“Hae~~Chan~~~!!” the men that they just passed through called Haechan. Haechan stopped and cursing in extreme lowkey. Dino and Seungkwan looked at his face with confused expression. Those men were Haechan’s high school seniors. They order Haechan, Seungkwan and Dino to followed them. They were dragged into the quiet alley behind the cafe. The alley was so narrow and used for the cafe to dump their trash. Haechan begged his seniors to let Seungkwan and Dino go because they weren’t their juniors. But, his seniors didn’t care about it. Seungkwan and Dino suddenly regret their decision to skip today practice. Their rather did that hell practice rather than got bullied like this. Moreover, they were bullied by someone who wasn’t even their senior! Each of them silently praying. If there were someone who come and save them, they promise not to skipped the practice anymore.

“Found you!” Taehyung walked towards that crowd. He came and quickly grabbed Dino and Seungkwan’s wrist. He dragged both of them. Then he looked back and told Haechan to follow him too. He said he didn’t have enough hands to hold them together.

“Hey, what the hell are you doing?!!!” one of Haechan’s senior stopped Taehyung.

“I come to pick my juniors. We have important business right now. If I am not bring them right now, I will get scolded. Thank you for find them. Ah, and that kid, he also tag along with me,” Taehyung bowed at that guy then continue to walk. This time, that guy grabbed Taehyung’s shoulder to stop him.

“Oh my Lord, what are you doing? Please don’t showed that scary expression. I am scared,” that guy grabbed Taehyung’s collar and ready to punch him.

“What the hell are you doing here, Kim Taehyung?? You know how long we were waiting for you. Hurry up!” Taehyung looked back hearing a familliar voice and found out Jaehyun was walked towards him. Taehyung relieved that Jaehyun come in the right time.

“It’s been a years since we met each other, right? But you still doing this dirty job. When will you got promoted to be the gang leader?” Jaehyun grabbed that guy arm and force him to took his hands off from Taehyung shoulder.

“Are you coming here with your boss? You can’t be the leader, right? So, who is your leader? That guy?” Haechan’s senior looked at Jungkook who just showed up.

“What the hell is he doing?” another guy looked confused while looking at Jungkook.

“Which era are you living in? You don’t know video call?” Taehyung innocently answer that guy question.

“Hey, Eunwoo, do you know this guy? He is Haechan, your junior. Please take care of him. I am counting on you. Ah, and also, there are some guys who you need to take care of too. I feel sad, they should going through such a problem. They are from your school, right? Do you know them? What? You can’t see their face well? Alright, I will get close to them,” Jungkook positioned himself so Eunwoo could saw the men who bullied Haechan.

“Hey guys, say hello to Eunwoo. You guys should be know him, right? Hey Eunwoo, please remember their face. I am counting on you, I will hang up now. I am very busy. I will call you again next time. Bye!” Jungkook waving his hand and push the end call button. He looked at those men and smiled. Those men expression was change. They looked scared but also angry at the same time.

“Ah, hello. I am sorry if my friends and I disturb your activity. We just here to pick up our friends. We don’t want to get involved with your school. We even didn’t have any intention to get involved. Since that was your school matter. That Haechan guy, I am not here to pick him. Eunwoo asked me to take care of him. Since Eunwoo is my best friend, and he is from your school, so, you can’t count my action as “getting involved” with your matter, right? Now, excuse us. We have our own plan,” Jungkook smiled and politely bowed to that men.

Jaehyun told Jungkook to left first. He stayed for a while to talk to Haechan’s senior who also his middle school friend.

“I warn you. Don’t you dare lay your hands on my schoolmate. As you can see, we can’t do anything towards you, but Eunwoo can. Here, take this money. You don’t have to pay me back. I know you are forced to give this money to your boss. As you friend, I recommend you to told Eunwoo about this. He has a great influence. He also capable to free you guys from him. Remember it,” Jaehyun patted his friend shoulder then left.

Jaehyun finally catch up his teammates who already arrived on the bus stop. He walked closer but then he turned around. He was confuse with Jungkook action. Jungkook seems like searching for someone. He kept on walking but occasionally looked behind.

“Why did you come alone?” asked Jungkook.

“What? Everyone was here, right? We just picked Seungkwan and Dino. Who are you looking for?” Jaehyun was confused.

“Really? I thought I saw another one. While I was having a video call with Eunwoo, I saw another guy who wore a black hoodie. I thought he was one of our junior,” Jungkook was confused.

“Maybe he just someone who just passed by,” Jaehyung gave a perfunctory answer.

“But, he seems like he was hiding. And I vaguely saw him holding his phone in recording position. I thought he was filming us to get it as a proof. That’s why he was hiding,” Jungkook become more confused.

“Maybe it was just your imagination. Or maybe you saw a ghost,” Jaehyun ensure him.

“Yeah, maybe you were right,” Jungkook finally gave up and accept the fact that he maybe saw it wrong.

***