Chapter Five —

Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Ten days later 

Hyejin popped out of nowhere, snickering at her friend as she waited in the reception which was located in the ground floor. Impatience was clear on the latter’s face. She turned, annoyed by the mere existence of her friend. ‘What is it?’

‘Well, I thought you’re still waiting for him to come and give you your necklace.’ Hyejin shrugged, taking a box from the floor before pressing on the elevator. 

The frustrated speechless face of her friend made her day. She responded immediately, because she was sick of how many times she’s being teased for that same reason. She’d like to be  teased like that if she was actually down there, anticipating he’ll come at the gate of the company. However, she is here to receive a package from a special someone. For that, her boss sent her specifically to deliver the package and the person bringing it. 

Ten minutes or so passed before a man in his fifties arrived at the glass door. He removed his Giorgio Armani sunglass and flashed a smile at Suran. He shook hands with her as she walked before him to open the elevator. 

She wore a dress that worth nothing compared to only his sunglasses. Green and cotton dress. Her hair was up in a braid. She bit her lips, feeling inferior for some reason as she stood in the same room as this man. According to his appearance, he has a name in the market thanks to his belongings and assists. 

Her boss smiled back after she delivered the man and the package to her office. Her work is done and now she’s left with tons of catalogs to be return to their places in the basement. She did that in a no more of 15 minutes. She was panting by the time she sat on her comfy chair. 

Every sense in her awakened as she heard her boss’s voice. She was talking to another girl and she was asking about her. This one time she was actually saying her name right. She has been calling her Sujin and sometimes she would say Jin for short. 

‘Do we have someone here called Suran? Lee Suran?’ 

She jumped to her with energy that seemed lost in her a few seconds ago. ‘It's me! I am Lee Suran!’ 

Her boss looked at her facial expressions for a moment, as to adjust the face to the new name she’s just discovered before grinning at her. Surely she had good news, but Suran hoped it was also good news to her, not only for her boss.

‘Isn’t it a shame to learn that I have such an excellent photographer from an outsider?’ Suran’s eyes were wide open to hear her boss say that out-loud, attracting everyone’s attention. She heard the chairs crack against the ceramic floor. Heads all them. 

‘I thought she’s here a part-time to get her to graduate.’ 

‘Me too.’ 

Suran heard some of the workers say as well as her boss who had a strange smile on, her light purple lipstick distracting everyone from her icey blonde hair. 

‘That’s why she always has cameras with her!’ 

Suran wanted to scream “Duh” at them. Why else would she has them, then? 

Her boss escorted her to her office. This was the first time she’s invited to that office ever since she’s started working here, which was 3 years ago. 

Her boss sat on the leather chair, comfortably, while Suran stood nervously near the door. She lifted her eyes at Suran. ‘Oh, sit down, girl. Relax.’  

A girl with a cropped black hair entered to give the boss a dozens of files. Before she left, her boss turned to Suran. ‘Wanna drink something?’ 

Suran shook her head. She just wants to know how her boss finally learned her name right and also how she learned that she’s a photographer. 

Her boss ordered a latte with cinnamon syrup. Once the glass door was closed, she crossed her legs and smiled extendedly. All her Hollywood teeth showed. ‘So, this outsider seemed to have looked you up and have seen your work.’ 

Suran was sitting on the edge of the chair, anxious and not at ease.  Her hands were in a fist on top of her knees, listening. ‘Your instagram, twitter, which then leads to your personal blog where you posted most of your work. It appears that you’ve been doing this since a very long time, yet here I am learning it just now.’ 

Suran didn’t like the tone of her voice, as if Suran is guilty for not shoving her profiles in her boss’s face. Well, she would’ve if her boss has ever looked to her face or even cared to learn to say her name correctly. However, she couldn’t tell her that there was no time for her to even talk to her boss properly to show her her work. 

Not to mention, there was a possibility of shoving her work back to her face and calling it unprofessional or insufficient. 

Suran got the courage to ask. ‘Who was it?’ 

‘I don’t know if you’d know them, but someone actually called me because they want you to shoot a promotion photo for an event for them.’ 

Suran’s froze, mouth agape from surprise. She wasn’t sure if this was another dream of hers and she will wake up soon by her grandmother’s screaming. But it wasn’t, as she heard her boss call her name correctly again. ‘Would I call this a yes?’ 

She then noticed the iPad in her boss’s hand. On the screen, Suran can recognize her personal page where she posts her work. 

She covered because she couldn’t believe that someday she will see her boss, the owner of this big company, go over her page and see the pictures she took. 

‘This is not real.’ She vocalized her thoughts which made her boss throw her head to the back from laughter. 

She then drank from her latte. ‘You’re shockingly good. And I had to contact some crappy photographers with nasty attitude to do some shoots for me while I had one under my arm.’ 

Suran stood. ‘Sorry but it’s still doesn’t feel real.’ 

Her boss stood and walked toward the younger girl. She slapped both shoulders. ‘Raise your shoulders, head up. Show me some confidence.’ 

Suran blinked. She took a breath and did what she was told. ‘If you’re that good, don’t wait for others to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter