Fruitcake

My BIG Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I am actually having a good time…especially when I’m with you.”

“…especially when I’m with you.”

“…with you.”

Jieun’s head has been filled with the same words since that day when Sehun decided to drop a very vague statement. What does he mean by that? She’s been asking herself that same question again and again. She wanted an answer but she couldn’t bring herself to just ask Sehun about that. Speaking of that orange head, why is he absent today? Jieun looked at Sehun’s empty seat.

“Class, you do know that your exams will be held next week, right?” Mr. Song asked as he put his book down. The whole class sighed in unison. “I don’t want to see many failing grades in this class so study hard. I’m not saying this just for the sake of saying it. You need good grades in order to enter a good university. Your life in school might be hard but the real world out there is harder. Do you get that?”

“Yes,” the whole class replied without any hint of energy. Brushing the chalk dust from his hands, Mr. Song’s eyes darted from Chanyeol and then to Jongin. “Park Chanyeol, Kim Jongin,” he called out and the two flinched. “You need to improve your grades in this test or else I’ll really suggest that the two of you will repeat the whole year.”

“Sir~” Chanyeol whined as he stood. He looked like the skies fell on his head. Mr. Song did not react. He just closed his book and dismissed the class just like that. “I’m really doomed,” Chanyeol commented as he plopped on his seat. Jieun looked at Jongin who was just sighing. She could tell that her friend’s having a hard time with going back to studying. Jongin gave up on giving his best when it comes to studying when he entered high school. With everything that happened before, he just lost the passion to do good in school.

“I don’t want to repeat the whole year~ I need to graduate on time~” the giant kept on whining. He looked like he’s ready to smash his head on his table. Jieun couldn’t help but shake her head. “Then you should study harder. You don’t get good grades without doing anything. Instead of spending your time making songs which will not be released anyway, use your time to study,” Kyungsoo suddenly stated. Jieun’s surprised that he’s actually butting in a conversation.

Chanyeol glared at his friend. “Speak for yourself. Even if you don’t study, you’ll still have good grades. I’m not born with superior memory like you.”

“That’s the reason why I told you to study. If you don’t have the gift, make it up with effort,” Kyungsoo said without any change in expression. Chanyeol pursed his lips before taking a lungful of air. “Then…do you want to be my tutor?” Chanyeol asked and Kyungsoo paused for some time. “Never mind. I don’t want you teaching me. You might end up using your headlock technique on me for every wrong answer…just like before.” Chanyeol rubbed his neck when he said that as if he could still feel Kyungsoo’s arms around it.

“Then…Junmyeon…my friend~”

Junmyeon smiled at Chanyeol. “Sorry. I have academy classes,” he replied and Chanyeol pouted. After some time, Chanyeol turned to Jieun with a wide smile on his face. “Jieun~ Can you teach me? I really need to pass this examination or else I’m doomed~ Jieun~ We’re friends, right?” He kept on batting his lashes. Jieun couldn’t conceal the smile on her face.

“Okay, I’ll teach you but make sure that you do a good job in helping at the shop,” Jieun stated and the giant nodded right away. Jongin, without saying anything, stood then looked at them. “I’m hungry. Let’s go and eat,” he said as he started walking out of the room. Chanyeol, as fast as lightning, went near Jieun and helped her with her crutch. Just like in cue, Baekhyun and the other flower boys appeared and joined them as they walked through the lobby.

“By the way, why is Sehun absent?” Chanyeol suddenly asked.

Jieun shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“That’s odd.”

“What’s odd?”

“I thought you’re close so I presumed that you know why he’s absent. The two of you have been hanging out together these days and he’s mainly talking to you.”

She paused for some seconds. “Do we look that close? I don’t even know his number.”

Chanyeol turned to her with eyes wide open in surprise. “Really?”

She nodded in reply. Chanyeol looked like he was thinking of something. “But…my impression about him in the beginning was actually bad. When he came in and said that he sent a teacher to the hospital with four broken ribs, I thought he was some kind of troublemaker. Now that I came to talk to him and hang out with him, he’s actually okay. Jieun, I actually think that he likes you.”

Jieun almost tripped when Chanyeol said that. “Stop saying nonsense.”

Chanyeol grinned when he saw her reaction. He nudged her a bit before chuckling. “Why are you blushing?”

“I’m not.”

“Yes, you are.” Chanyeol poked her cheek and she glared at him. He stepped back a little, feeling threatened by her gaze. Then, he suddenly started humming as if he was teasing her. “I’ve been seeing the two of you talk and I observed how he looks at you. From a man’s perspective…” he trailed off as a cheeky smile came to his face. “He likes you.”

“Stop saying that. If someone hears what you’re saying, they might think of something weird. And besides, Sehun’s not interested in me. He’s just a friend.”

Chanyeol pursed his lips before catching up with Jieun. “I’ll bet my entire savings.”

“What?”

“I’ll bet my entire savings that he likes you.”

Jieun drew a lungful of air before looking at Chanyeol. “Whatever.”

“You’re blushing~ You’re blushing~”

If Jieun’s not injured, she could’ve kicked him right there and then. But weird enough, she found herself expecting something.

This is really weird.

 

 

“One carrot cake, one apple pie, and two Caramel Macchiato.”

Jieun expertly punched in the orders as the customer handed her card for payment. Chanyeol went near Jieun to see the list of what was ordered. With Sehun not showing up for the whole day, Jongin and Chanyeol were the only ones actually working at the shop with Jieun’s parents away for a class reunion. Jieun’s the one manning the counter for orders and payments while Jongin’s in charge of the drinks. Chanyeol, thankfully, hasn’t broken a plate yet.

Customers kept of coming back and forth to get their orders. It’s a very busy afternoon. The bell on the door jingled as it came open. Jieun looked at the door. “Hi~” Sarang greeted in a bright tone which matched her smiled.

“Hi,” she greeted in return. Jieun’s smile suddenly disappeared when she saw Jiwoo entering the shop. Sly fox. She was suddenly reminded of those words. There’s something about Jiwoo that makes her feel uneasy.

“Hi babe,” Sarang chirped when she saw Jongin coming out from the kitchen with a tray of clean plates. Jongin smiled right away when he saw her.  Chanyeol started making weird sounds while cringing. Sarang

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter