Meeting at the ball

Magnolia Boy

Chapter 3 : Meeting at the ball

.

Taemin was standing still in the middle of his room, his eyes cast upon the floor and his mind lost in thoughts. A forest elf, maid in the castle, had been assigned to him this morning and was now helping him get dressed, doing his hair and tying up his suit. He was wearing one of his favorite costume, with fabrics lighter than cotton, in beautiful shades of gold and silver. The ornaments were done in white, matching his hair. He had first wanted to dress in his dark blue suit, but had been told it wouldn't match Jonghyun's one, and they obviously needed to look nice next to each other. He could hear the soft rustle of his clothes, Dasom's footsteps hopping around him, and the faint sounds of the mess happening outside, muffled by the closed windows.

Taemin tried his best to take deep breaths and not think about the frenzy that was waiting for him just outside of his bedroom. Too many things had happened in so little time and no matter how badly he wanted to clear his thoughts and sort out his feeling, he just felt lost.

Chinua was safe. Chinua could stay. That was the most important thing in all that happened around him. It was one less worry for him, as it had been Jonghyun's top priority last evening, to make sure with his parents that his wolf friend was welcome here. He had taken the time to bring Taemin to the animals caretakers and had done everything he possibly could to make sure everything was in order.

That was Taemin's second reason to calm down. The forest prince was gentle, polite and very charming. He had been nothing but patient with him, guiding him through the castle that morning to show him around, answering his questions with that soft smile of his always on his lips. They had gone for a long walk through those suspended bridges Taemin wanted to see; Jonghyun had shown him the castle's most beautiful gardens and had promised that they could go wandering around the forest the next days. The mountain elf was quite excited about it, and that thought helped him bear with the terror that the ball of that night was inspiring him. All the expectations he would have to meet.

While Jonghyun had been showing him the limits of Melalhil, the elven city, they had encountered Junmyeon again, not very far away from that long-haired elf guard Taemin remembered from the previous afternoon, when he had arrived. He had learned that this elf wasn't exactly a guard, but a counselor, captain and delegate. He was in charge of the communication with the fairies of the forest and was part of the council of both communities, along with his tiny friend. Choi Minho was also Prince Jonghyun's closest friend.

Taemin had been completely taken aback when he saw Minho and Junmyeon exchanging few things, when Jonghyun was explaining other informations on the side. He hadn't even been listening to the prince because he couldn't keep his eyes away from the two accomplices. They had been communicating, Taemin could see their expressions changing, their mouths moving in weird shapes, but he hadn't been able to actually understand or even hear a single thing about the discussion. Jonghyun hadn't been too upset about it, and actually smiled at him.

"They're speaking the fairy language," he had explained to a completely dumbfounded Taemin.

"I'm sorry? You can speak faerish?"

Jonghyun had pouted a bit at that, looking back to Minho.

"No I can't. Minho is the only one able to do that, that's why he's our representative to those people. And Junmyeon is one of the very few fairies that can also talk elfish perfectly. So they're both keeping our communities together. They are also the messengers for other beings in the forest that can't speak to us."

"That's... really incredible. I wish I could hear what they're saying."

Jonghyun had laughed at that, waving his friends away, as Minho and Junmyeon were expected somewhere else.

"I know the feeling too well. Sometimes it's even a bit annoying to me, to be honest. Minho told me a hundred times that I could actually hear it if I payed attention but no matter how many times I tried, I just can't get it."

"I can imagine it might get frustrating. I hope I'll be able to hear it someday...," Taemin had excitedly whispered.

"I hope not. I'll seriously get jealous if you do. I've been trying for the past 138 years."

Taemin had smirked with a mischievous glint in his eyes, promising him he would try really hard just to brag to his face. Jonghyun hadn't answered to that, he only looked at him in a weird way that Taemin hadn't been able to understand. Then the mountain elf had kept silence, wondering if he just went too far.

Being there was pleasant, everything was refreshing and cheerful, homier than his own dwelling ever had been. Taemin was the third child in his family, and had always been treated a bit differently. His older brother would take the throne and had received a very strict and complete education. His older sister had always strove for the best, she was very strong-willed and eventually got the attention she wanted, getting her own education right. She was deeply involved in the leadership of the kingdom and planned to keep it that way. While Taemin, on his side, was much younger than them. Unlike them, he hadn't been raised during the war, he had never been a soldier, he had been too protected, and had never been really interested in having responsibilities. He had always brought worries to his parents because he wasn't able to behave properly and would talk back to people without thinking. At least, that was what everyone always told him. He knew his parents loved him, but he also wasn't stupid and understood that he was the child they could send away. He did have friends back there, he did enjoy his life even though he often felt lonely; but he couldn't deny that if it hadn't been for a forced marriage, if he hadn't been notified at last minute, he could have been quite happy to go away to come to such a wonderful place.

"I am done, your Majesty."

Taemin turned his head, frowning at Dasom with incredulity.

"Ah, thank you. Sorry, I was... thinking."

She shook her head at him, stating it was nothing to apologize for, and bowed slightly. He saw her picking up all her belongings before she went to the door with a last word of politeness. Then he was alone again. He looked at himself in the large mirror standing on one side of the room, and sighed deeply. He would have to be dignified, to stand proudly, smile all evening and not embarrass Jonghyun. He really didn't want to put the other one in a bad position. He had seen, all day, how noble the oldest had been. Jonghyun had the stature of a prince that Taemin never managed to get, that overflowing confidence and prestige. He had understood quite quickly that his place and rank were really important to the other prince and Taemin hoped he would be good enough to stay next to him without being a shame. The more he thought about it, the more pressure he felt falling on his shoulders.

A small knock on his door got him out of his worries and he turned around, whispering to the person to come in. Jonghyun made his entrance in the room with a slightly awkward smile.

"Hey there, are you ready?"

Taemin forced a smile and nodded. But before he could say anything, he saw the other one frown, and wondered if something was wrong with his costume, or hair, or posture. Jonghyun closed the door behind himself and approached Taemin. He was all suited up too, his silver hair were covering his forehead this time, his tiara was bigger, made of shiny red and dark brown woods, braided together. It all matched his outfit, made from this soft fabric Taemin didn't know the name of, and the mountain prince was caught up once again by his aura and the feeling of strength and reassurance that emanated from him.

"What's wrong?" Jonghyun asked in his gentle voice

Taemin tried to look at him bravely but soon gave up, staring at the floor, sighing. He was twisting his fingers and took a deep breath.

"I'm a bit-... I'm stressed."

Jonghyun smiled at him softly, seeming to understand. He took both of Taemin's hands in his, trying to get his attention, and rubbed his thumb over the younger one's fingers.

Taemin had hinted things about his life, earlier that day, and the prince had been quite attentive to every small detail he could get. It also wasn't that hard to notice how Taemin wasn't used to all the protocols they always had to endure as princes. His face was always stiff and too focused, as if he was perpetually on edge to be perfect, while Jonghyun didn't even think about it anymore, his posture was natural, his politeness too.

"Don't get so tensed. I get why you worry, I do, but if you work yourself up with apprehension, you won't enjoy a single second of this ball. And I don't want that. I want you to appreciate your time, be happy to meet my people and admire everything."

He saw Taemin pouting a bit and Jonghyun had to admit it was the most adorable sight he had witnessed in a while.

"I'll be there with you. I'll do the talking if you don't want to. I'll stay close to save you if you say something wrong," Jonghyun smiled, trying to lighten up the mood and felt relief washing over him as Taemin's face softened a bit.

"I really don't want to be a bother to you though."

"You didn't get a lot of time to get accustomed to everything before my parents threw a gigantic ball at you. I would freak out too if I were you... So I'll be there to help. You're not a burden, we just have to have each other's back on this whole thing, don't you think?"

Taemin nodded slowly, a small smirk sprouting on his lips.

"Thank you."

 

 

It was crowded. The way to the elven castle had been busy for a few miles already and it made Jongin's stomach seem very heavy, as if he just ate far too many strawberries in a row. His heart was beating fast and his skin was dry. Yet, he didn't say anything about his troubled mind, and continued to follow Kibum's quick and nervous steps.

They walked past animals, fairies flying around, leprechauns, and all the different kind of species that habited the forest. Jongin was even discovering some people he never saw around, in his 78 years of living. He wondered if, just as with the elves, the forest protected the nymphs from them too. They had passed a group of small people with very big noses and feet, who seemed very grumpy and the young nymph wondered what they exactly were.

Up until now, nobody had noticed them and Jongin hoped it would stay this way. Before they left their clearing, the forest had talked to him, because Kibum was too restless to hear. His tree, the marvelous willow where he slept, told him that if they decided to go, the forest couldn't protect them anymore there, so they'd have to be careful and hide themselves. It had been the first time his tree had seemed apprehensive, while whispering to him. It had not helped Jongin's already terrible stress. At least, his fairies friends were supposed to be there too, maybe seeing Kyungsoo would help ease his fear.

Kibum suddenly stopped dead in his track, one feet hovering above the void as they were walking from trees to trees, on branches. Jongin barely avoided the impact and looked at his friend. Kibum was frozen on his spot. He gulped heavily and hung his head.

"I'm sorry."

Jongin approached him, slowly his hair.

"What's happening?"

"You don't want to go. I can feel it. The whole forest is feverish, I'm on edge, and I know you want to be home curled in your roots."

Jongin bit his lips. He had obviously failed his whole act, and now, he wasn't sure what to say. He wasn't a very good liar and Kibum was absolutely right. Still, he didn't want to quit on him now. But Kibum didn't let him speak.

"I'm not sure I even want to go. What am I doing?"

Jongin took Kibum's trembling hands in his and tilted his head.

"Kibum, I'll be alright," and it felt like his own words, meant to reassure his friend, worked at appeasing himself too. "We're here now, we might as well finish." Yes he did want to go home and hide and never come back again in a place so full of beings, but he knew Kibum needed to come. "We'll go there, we'll be very careful, and you're going to see your prince."

At the mention of prince Jonghyun, Kibum's face softened a bit.

"I'll-... I'll probably go around and meet Jinki and Kyungsoo, and there might be food, right? I'll eat and I'll wait for you and when you feel-... When you want to go home, we'll go."

Jongin Kibum's cheeks and put a strand of his hair back into place with a sweet smile.

"It's gonna be okay," he murmured.

"Thank you."

Jongin took his hand and hopped to the next tree, guiding Kibum after him. The only good thing about so many creatures going to this ball, was that all they had to do was follow the mass, as until now, they had no idea where Melalhil even was.

Kibum started to talk, making a few light jokes, saying that if they were going to a ball, they should enjoy it a bit and the tension eased from their shoulders. When they finally arrived in front of the elven city, they both tightened their grip on each other's hand. It was taking all the courage Jongin had left in his body to not disappear into the tree against his back, to not let the trunk snare him away.

They made sure to lower their auras, in an attempt to be less and less visible to their surroundings. Kibum's eyes were shining with awe and happiness at the sight in front of them, the immense trees, the houses, the castle standing far away. It was all so gigantic and magical. The way had been lightened up by millions of lights twinkling in the night fall. Jongin first thought it was fireflies, but soon realized it was some elven magic.

Kibum and Jongin were swift and agile in their way to move around, continuing their march. The ball was being held behind the castle, in the largest garden of the area. They could already hear a soft music playing, and see elves and all kind of creatures dancing between the shrubs and bushes. Jongin noticed the immense tables set everywhere, overflowing with all kind of food and drinks, and his mood rose up a bit. Kibum, on his side, immediately caught sight of the prince, standing proudly at the back of the clearing, on the small hill that had been created. He was surrounded by a lot of people and seemed quite busy greeting everyone. Kibum stared only at him, sighing lightly before putting one hand on Jongin's arm, without even looking once at his friend.

"The prince is-... I'll-... I'll be there. I'll go just a bit... closer."

Jongin frowned, holding back on Kibum's wrist just a second.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am," Kibum answered, finally giving him his attention. "I'll be careful, I promise. I'll find you back later."

Jongin didn't even try to hide the concern on his face, but nodded. Kibum parted away from him and took a few steps forward before immediately coming back to his friend with wide eyes.

"Oh dear... Jongin, I'm sorry. I make you come all the way here only to dump you within seconds. I'm terrible. I'm the most terrible. I'm sorry. What should I do?"

Jongin smiled, putting his fingers on Kibum's mouth.

"We came for you to see your prince. So, go see your prince. Watch over him. Make sure his... fiancé is good enough. I'm sorry I can't come with you closer... I'm-..."

"I know. I wouldn't ask that of you."

"I'll go search for Kyungsoo. Please be very careful and call me if you need me."

After another round of promises, Kibum took a deep breath and made his way down the clearing, jumping over roots and grass and hiding in every corner or shade he could. Jongin kept an eye on him for a few minutes, his anxiety bubbling up again even though he could tell nobody perceived his friend. He saw him finally choosing a spot against a dense lilac plant, very close to where the prince was still bowing to newcomers. He hoped Kibum wouldn't be overwhelmed by Jonghyun so much he would forget to keep his presence low.

Jongin twisted his fingers and descended to the ball in turn, being careful to stay on the side. Some animals around turned their heads as he passed, but didn't pay much attention to him. Even the plants weren't acknowledging him that much. He blinked a bit anxiously and tried to discern Kyungsoo in the middle of all this mess. He first caught sight of Jinki, who was stuffing his mouth on a table and being both scolded and joined in his feast by Junmyeon. The idea to go to him died immediately, as he was standing just meters away from the royal family -or so it seemed, they were all wearing crowns-, and even if they had been a bit further, Junmyeon was one of the most important fairy around, and he didn't knew him that well, so that always made Jongin extremely awkward around him.

Then, Jongin had a pained sigh when he finally got a glimpse of Kyungsoo, talking reverently with Choi Minho, right next to Jonghyun. The nymph bit his lower lip and clumsily sat on a branch of the beech behind him. Maybe he could just sit there, appreciate the music and wait until Kibum would want to go back.

"Jongin?"

The nymph nearly jumped out of his skin with fright as he turned around, one hand over his chest as he recognized the smiling fairy that popped up next to him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he laughed happily.

"It's okay... I guess..." Jongin breathed out.

The fairy flew a bit closer, sitting on the nymph's knee, facing him with his feline smile.

"What are you doing here alone?"

Jongin explained the situation with a soft, quiet voice and saw Jongdae nodding knowingly. The fairy blushed a bit before looking around.

"Do you mind if I stay with you then? I-... I had to come but hum-... I'm not very comfortable either. I can go get us food though if you'd like."

Jongin agreed cheerfully, both to having a comrade for the long evening and to the food.

Jongdae was the youngest fairy Jongin knew, and thus, he didn't see him very often. Apparently, he was still under a rather full education and didn't have a lot of time to fool around like Jinki or Kyungsoo -but Kyungsoo didn't 'fool around', or at least, would never admit it-. Jongin liked Jongdae a lot, because he was both funny and witty. He was the only friend younger than him that Jongin had, and that was quite something, because then he could teach him a few things and sometimes they would discover stuff none of them already knew. Thus, the idea of spending quality time with Jongdae after not seeing him for a few months, while enjoying unfamiliar and tasteful elven food and listening to soft music, made him smile.

 

Taemin had spent the first couple hours hiding behind Jonghyun and speaking only to introduce himself or when he was directly asked something. He was trying his best to remember every face, every name of all the important people coming to them and presenting themselves, while maintaining a polite and gentle smile on his face. The sky had started to darken and when the vast majority of the guests had arrived already, the king Junsu and queen Jiwon had made a speech, introducing Taemin to the whole assembly. There were so many eyes on him, constantly, that it made him fidget on his seat and sweat a bit. Jonghyun had left a hand on Taemin's back, as a support and the youngest had been oh so grateful for his constant protection. There had been a fairy too, who had stuck close to him since their meeting -Kyungsoo, if he remembered correctly- and seemed to have developed a liking on him. He didn't speak elfish as fluently as Junmyeon, but he was pompously talking to Taemin and asking question over his well-being, which the prince found lovely.

Jonghyun and Taemin opened the ball officially, as they had to give the first dance.

"Breathe, Taemin, I'll lead you," Jonghyun had whispered in a smile when he saw the nervous frown on his fiancé.

Taemin kept blinking with anxiety and tried to do as he was told.

"Everyone is looking... I just don't want to step on your feet. Oh dear... have I mentioned I'm very clumsy? This could happen."

Jonghyun had taken Taemin's hand in his, put the other one on his waist and smiled reassuringly. And Taemin hadn't stepped on either one of his feet. He didn't stumble or miss a step, he didn't make a fool out of himself. They swirled around their guests for what seemed like a sweet eternity to Jonghyun, as he marveled over Taemin's soft features when he was that focused. He didn't lead the both of them in the end, Taemin seemed to have gained confidence the exact moment he started to dance. They even stayed, waltzing for a few more minutes as more and more people were joining them.

"You're pretty good at this in the end," Jonghyun complimented him, and Taemin answered with a shy smile. "Maybe even better than myself, I may say. Please don't ever say you're bad at something when you're so great or I'll get self conscious."

They stopped after a little while, returning to their seats to drink something. But as they were making their way back, they heard the music slowing down until utter silent. Whispers awoke everywhere around, unbelieving murmurs. It wasn't fear, it was fascination. Jonghyun immediately turned back, frowning, searching what caused the sudden wonder.

"Who's this?"

Taemin's sigh made him look on the right and he froze on the spot.

"I-... I don't know," he admitted.

People parted reverently as a man was walking down the castle's stairs and the hushed mumbles were getting louder, more excited. The creature was moving with so much grace that Taemin was convinced he was floating in the air, and the large piece of white silk he was wearing as some sort of dress only made the impression stronger. He came all the way to stop in front of the two princes, and smiled at them. A glint of mischief lightened up in his eyes at the choked sound Jonghyun made while glancing at him.

Taemin was certain this person was glowing. His skin was radiating with light, giving him an aura beyond beauty that made the two elves unable to find their words back.

"Good evening, my Lords."

His voice was soft, and Jonghyun was sure he had been able to hear it only because of the amazed silence around. Or maybe he heard it in his head. He thought he saw those lips move, but he wasn't exactly sure. Still, those few words had a sweet accent.

"Lord Baekhyun," Jonghyun's father rushed to his son's side and bowed down deep. "You're gracing us with your presence. Thank you."

The creature laughed and everyone held their breaths.

"Well, it would have been very rude of me not to, wouldn't it? All the chiefs are here, even the leader of fauns, and it's a special occasion."

King Junsu opened his mouth to thank him once more but stopped himself when he saw that the other wasn't looking at him anymore. Baekhyun was looking curiously at Taemin, his smile growing a bit larger as he approached him.

"I'm Baekhyun," he repeated.

Taemin blinked a few times before bowing, still having no clue on who exactly he had in front of him. But it was someone important enough to have the king bow, and thus, he wasn't even sure it was okay for him to speak. Then again, not answering would be terribly impolite.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Lord Baekhyun. I'm Prince Kim Jonghyun's fiancé-...," he started to answer.

Baekhyun stopped him with one slender finger put right before his mouth and the elf blushed, feeling his heart beat too fast. Maybe he should have stayed silent in the end.

"No. You're Lee Taemin. I've heard of you."

Baekhyun then turned around, looking at all the forest's people waiting anxiously and waved at the orchestra.

"Please, go on. I do enjoy your music."

There were a few more awkward seconds before all creatures dared to move again, looking at each other, stealing more glances at the captivating being. As the music started again, Baekhyun sent cheeky smiles to a few directions, before putting all his attention back to a red faced Taemin.

"You seem tensed, darling, are you alright? Have you perhaps never seen a nymph?"

Taemin frowned but looked on his right when he heard Jonghyun's sudden intake of air.

"Nymph?" Taemin repeated, trying to get an explanation.

Baekhyun was looking directly in Jonghyun's eyes now. It seemed like he couldn't switch between people that easily. He was giving his full attention every time his eyelids fluttered and needed a couple of seconds to turn to someone else. Taemin felt it deep down; he shouldn't speak when Baekhyun wasn't directing those sparkling black eyes to him.

"You've heard of us, but never saw any of us, right?"

He was asking Jonghyun, who slightly nodded.

"You are really sweet, Kim Jonghyun. It's a real shame your eyes are closed. You don't look properly, you don't listen properly."

"What do you mean?" Jonghyun asked, incredulous, before pulling himself together. "My Lord."

"Be more careful, that's all I ask."

Baekhyun's nose wiggled, as one of a bunny, and he seemed very content with himself. Then his eyes were on Taemin again.

"You never heard of us? Not even a whisper?"

"No, I'm very sorry."

Baekhyun waved to him with a chuckle.

"Don't be, don't be."

He looked in the air, thoughtful, and bit his lips. Then his head turned to the side, his piercing stare looking directly into a pair of hazelnut eyes, up on a beech's branch.

"I wish you a lot of happiness, Lee Taemin. May you find all you need in our forest. As for you, Kim Jonghyun, thank you for being our Lord Protector. I'm very curious of what awaits you."

He nodded with amusement and made his way to the table, greeting the queen and the chiefs of every species who had come to the celebration too.

Taemin stood there clumsily before attempting to look at Jonghyun with a questioning gaze. He wasn't sure what to say to ease the embarrassed ambiance.

"Let's-... let's sit down. I'll explain a bit," the other prince offered and Taemin sighed with relief before following him.

Kyungsoo was all over Baekhyun, happily discussing with him. He seemed to be the only one around comfortable enough to deliberate with him. The two princes sat on their respective seats, and Jonghyun immediately grabbed his drink to calm down a bit.

"I'm feeling bad only from seeing you this anxious," Taemin whispered.

Jonghyun froze, glanced at him and tried to ease his stiff face.

"I'm sorry," he let out in a breath. "Nymphs are really respected in our forest."

He pondered for a moment, stealing another glance at Baekhyun before facing Taemin again.

"Maybe we should have talked about this earlier. Then again, you arrived only yesterday and I had no idea the Lord of Nymphs would come down for this ball."

Taemin made a small gesture of his hand, telling him he wasn't upset.

"I think there are indeed a lot of creatures I don't know of. Our lands are so different."

"The nymphs... they are spirits. The holiest spirits, to us. To the forest. There are supposed to be a little of them everywhere, but it's the first time in my life I actually saw one. It's rare. It's considered to be a blessing. They are powerful, they can control elements and they preserve the forest, they help it grow beautiful and strong. In exchange, the trees, the rivers, all the nature around protect them. I never thought-... I never imagined a nymph would come here today to congratulate us. Even less the most important one."

Jonghyun stopped in his little speech and bit his lips.

"He didn't exactly congratulate us though. But his mere presence means everything. It means the whole forest truly welcomes you."

Taemin's heart was pounding loudly in his chest. His eyes went from Jonghyun to Baekhyun, then the people dancing in front of them, and to Kyungsoo flying around with other fairies.

The more he learned about this forest, the more this small and guilty feeling he felt in his heart was growing. He was glad. He was glad to have been sent here. He was glad to be out of the mountains. He was glad he had arrived in a place so enchanting, filled with beings so kind to him, interested in what he had to say. He was glad he had the chance to wake up to those sceneries and encounter so many new creatures. He was glad he would spend his life surrounded by all those colors and laughs.

But the guilt was gradually eating his lungs away as his eyes fell back on Jonghyun. What did the other prince gained out of all of this? He knew Jonghyun didn't want this marriage and it was unfair that he got to win so much over it, when Jonghyun was only deprived of his liberty. He looked at his gentle face and hoped that he would fall in love with the other someday. Maybe Jonghyun could fall in love with him too. And then, all of this would make sense.

.

.

.