Final

Meant To Be

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo thought they were meant to be together…

 


Is it possible for two best friends to fall in love? Kyungsoo doubts that, because in his case, he’s the only one who fell in love. Miserably. 

 

 


“One does not lose hope easily,” his classmate Baekhyun, tells him that every time. But hey, “it’s just because you have a boyfriend.” Kyungsoo retorts, every time too. “You can too if you don’t look so murderous every time strangers are near to you. Baekhyun had said, and Kyungsoo could only sigh, because he really didn’t mean to look scary, he just had really bad eyesight. 

 

 


Kyungsoo looks dazed, and that’s completely normal because he does that in every class. However, he still gets good grades and that’s what Jongin envies the most about him. Not most, but still. “Hyung.” Jongin calls, hand shaking in front of Kyungsoo to catch his attention. No reaction. Jongin frowns and takes out his phone, turning on his camera to capture the spaced-out side face of Kyungsoo. The clicking sound is what caught his attention eventually because Jongin knows him too well, he knows that the older is not fond of being captured so he’s extremely sensitive to the clicking sound of a camera. “Kim Jongin, delete it right now.” Kyungsoo growls through gritted teeth, hands reaching forward in order to snatch Jongin’s phone. “No can do, hyung.” Jongin puts his phone back in his pocket, smirking at pissed off Kyungsoo. “I’m warning you, Jongin.” Kyungsoo looks frustrated and Jongin smirks again. A mad Kyungsoo is rather cute. “No can do, hyung. You look good in it and that’s a punishment for not listening to me just now.” Jongin says a matter-of-factly, smiling so wide that his eyes crinkles into beautiful crescents. 

 

 


He wore a smile like a loaded gun. 

 

 


That’s what appears in Kyungsoo’s mind at the moment. 

 

 


Damn, that smile. 

 

 


“Fine.” Kyungsoo huffs, eyes immediately look away to prevent Jongin from noticing his obvious blush. Kyungsoo always forgives Jongin, always. He better appreciates me. Kyungsoo mutters to himself, eyes casting downwards to look at his lap. Thus, one more picture of Kyungsoo is added to Jongin’s album. “Hyung.” Jongin calls again, and this time, Kyungsoo heard it very clearly. “Hmm?” He looks up from his lap, eyes meeting with Jongin’s glowing ones. “Let’s have ramen for lunch later, okay?” How can Kyungsoo resists him when he’s smiling so wide, so beautifully. “Okay, chicken too?” Kyungsoo swears he literally saw the younger’s eyes sparkled when he said yes. He doesn’t know how many times he’d have ramen for lunch but he doesn’t care, it doesn’t matter. 

 

 


Kyungsoo met Jongin in his first day of class, exactly 6 months ago.

 

 


 He was munching on his double chocolate chip muffin in the cafeteria when Jongin approached. “Hi, my name is Jongin, Kim Jongin.” Kyungsoo gaped with a mouthful of muffin and stared at the boy in front of him, extremely confused. Who won’t get confused when someone suddenly came up to you and introduced themselves? “Hello?” Kyungsoo greeted, trying to be polite. He wasn’t even sure the boy is really talking to the right person, like who would approach him when he was practically stuffing his face with chocolate muffin? Save for someone like the boy in front of him because he looked stunning. The other was really shinning with his golden tan skin, perfectly-shaped almond eyes and also blinding yet somehow shy smile. No one would, except for Byun Baekhyun and that boy in front of him, Kim Jongin. Kyungsoo looked, no stared at the boy who sat down opposite him, waiting for the other to say something, anything because the latter was smiling so cutely at him and he almost yell out WILL YOU MARRY ME if not for the crowd in the cafeteria. Gosh, this is how much Byun Baekhyun affected him with his stupidity. 

 

 

“Can you give me one of your muffins please?” 

 


Kyungsoo obviously didn’t expect that. But of course, he gave him his last muffin because first: he did not want to disappoint such a cutie; second: it was supposed to be Baekhyun’s anyway.

 


 Well, that’s quite a first meeting. 

 


Kyungsoo remembers Baekhyun almost strangled him when he found out. 

 

 


After that incident, Baekhyun did not trust Kyungsoo with HIS FOOD so, when Jongin came approaching Kyungsoo the second time, Kyungsoo gave him his instead. 

 

 


And then, the third time, which Kyungsoo knew Jongin will come again, he bought Jongin two muffins, one double chocolate chip, one cinnamon roll muffin. Why? Because cinnamon roll muffin is Kyungsoo’s new found favourite. 

 


“Thanks, hyung.” Jongin chimed happily when he got two muffins instead of one, giggling cutely like a three-year-old. “Hmm… cinnamon roll! It’s my second favourite!”

 


 Kyungsoo couldn’t believe how much he wanted to be a muffin back then. 

 


The two of them had become acquaintances (that’s what Kyungsoo thought) but actually Jongin already see him as a friend, a friend he met two weeks ago (Jongin eats muffin with Kyungsoo once every week)

 

 

 

“Why do you came on Tuesday only?” Kyungsoo asked Jongin one day, it was his fourth time eating with Kyungsoo. Jongin swallowed his last mouthful of muffin and smiled, albeit rather sheepishly and said, “I have dance classes on Tuesdays, and I always stayed over for half an hour more to practice with the new routine or perfect it because I love dancing so much. So usually when I finished my practice, there’s not much food left.” That was the first time Jongin had talked so much and Kyungsoo was actually surprised. He squealed internally when he found out the younger was a dancer and really likes dancing because damn, a dancer’s hip can be very uhm…powerful. Additional to that, Jongin was very, he meant super attractive. Damn, Kyungsoo blamed Baekhyun for corrupting his mind again. The older then tried to calm himself down and looked around, finding what the younger had said is true, because what’s left in the cafeteria are the very unhealthy burgers and those boring egg sandwiches. Looks like Jongin doesn’t like any of those. “Do you perhaps like burrito?” Kyungsoo asked out of curiosity because there’s a newly opened burritos food truck that’s insanely delicious near campus. Kyungsoo definitely didn’t thought of bringing Jongin there, definitely no. 


“I love burritos! Especially chicken and avocado burritos!” Jongin’s eyes are practically gleaming. Wow, Kyungsoo suddenly likes avocado too. The two have known each other for four weeks and all they ever talked about is food and their names, which happened when they first met. Oh, and maybe about Jongin’s hobby which they talked about it 10 minutes ago.

 

 


Kyungsoo found out that he really enjoys being with Jongin the following Tuesday. They were eating on their usual spot when Baekhyun approached rather dramatically. “Soo, you betrayed me!” Baekhyun came whining, immediately sat down and circled his hands around Kyungsoo’s arm. “Stop being a drama queen Baek, you didn’t even text me last few days. Busy hooking up with Chanyeol?” At the mention of Chanyeol, Baekhyun’s face turned into tomato and he quickly adverted the attention by questioning Kyungsoo back. “Who’s this Soo?” Without waiting for Kyungsoo’s reply, Baekhyun then turned to look at Jongin. “Wait, I think I might have seen you before. You’re a friend of Chanyeol right?” Kyungsoo looked from his classmate slash friend to Jongin, waiting for an answer. “Yes, I am. Nice to meet you, I’m Jongin.” 

 


“I’m Kyungsoo’s bestest friend, Baekhyun, pleasure to meet you.”  Kyungsoo scolded Baekhyun for being so annoying. 

 


Kyungsoo found out that he really enjoys being with Jongin after that. 

 


And thus, he eventually asked Jongin out for lunch that coming Saturday. No, it’s not a date, he had said to Baekhyun. 

 

 


Kyungsoo is actually a shy and reserved person but Jongin’s cute personality aside from his attractive appearance made Kyungsoo a ‘lovesick fool’. That’s what Baekhyun had said but were completely ignored by Kyungsoo himself. 

 


Jongin’s smile, Jongin’s laugh, Jongin’s sleepy face, everything about Jongin crept slowly into Kyungsoo’s heart and after they knew each other for 2 months, he decided that he is completely and utterly in love with Kim Jongin. 

 


But soon he realized, maybe the younger doesn’t return his feelings. Maybe Jongin just see him as best friend and nothing more. 

 

 


Now, Kyungsoo and Jongin are inseparable. Wherever you see Jongin, there’s Kyungsoo and whenever you see Kyungsoo, there’s Jongin. They’ve known each other for 6 months now, the older realized when he looks at Jongin in front of him, eating his favourite chicken (chicken being the first and muffins being the third because everything with chicken being the second) after finishing his ramen. 

 


He still looks the same, Kyungsoo realized. Like a three-year-old when he’s eating, all cute and precious. 

 


How would you feel, if I told you I loved you? 
It’s just something that I want to do
I’ll be taking my time, spending my life, falling deeper in love with you 
So tell me that you love me too.

 


Kyungsoo curses internally when his loud and obnoxious friend Byun Baekhyun makes his appearance by singing that song. Baekhyun always ruins his moment, always. “What do you want?” Kyungsoo glares at him, earning a sly smile from the other. “Well, hello to you too. Hi, Jonginnie~” Baekhyun turns to look at Jongin sweetly, as if he’s trying to seduce the younger. Kyungsoo gives him an unapproved look, scowling hard when Baekhyun’s flirting with Jongin, his Jongin. “Soo, can I have a few words with Jongin?” Baekhyun asks with a mischievous look on his face, which Kyungsoo would want to slap it, with a chair. “Go on then.” He says, mind already plotting 100 ways to kill Byun Baekhyun. “I need to talk to him, alone.” The other emphasizes. Kyungsoo gives him one last glare as a warning before standing up and walking away. 

 

 

Kyungsoo chooses to go back to his dorm, wanting to spend his time alone. I’ll text Jongin later. He flops onto his lovely bed, thinking hard about what Baekhyun will tell Jongin. Thinking about Baekhyun must be tiring because soon, he fell asleep. 

 

 


Kyungsoo wakes after an hour, rubbing his eyes and smacking his lips. Seemingly unaware of the presence beside him, until a soft click could be heard. He then opens his eyes abruptly and almost died of a heart attack when he found Jongin sitting by his bed, smiling fondly at him. “Hey hyung, you always look cute when you wake up.” Kyungsoo can feel his blood rushing to his face and blushes so hard at Jongin’s comment.  “Am not cute.” He protests weakly. “Are too.” Came the quick reply. “Am not.” Kyungsoo retorts, face still flushed. “Are too and that’s the end. Come on hyung, wakey wakey, let’s watch movie. I brought popcorn.” Jongin stands up to take his popcorn and Kyungsoo’s laptop. Kyungsoo uses the time to calm himself down and rises from his position. 

 


“Nini, what did Baek told you?” Kyungsoo asks a moment later, can’t contain his curiosity any longer. Jongin seems a little surprised by his hyung’s question and if the older noticed that, he doesn’t show it. “Baekhyun asked me something.” Jongin replies carefully, sounding a lot like a lie to Kyungsoo. But again, he doesn’t question back. “Oh. Alright.” He chooses that as his answer and doesn’t pry it after. Jongin is typing something on the laptop as he asks the older about which movie should they watch. “Whatever should be fine.” He earns the reply from the older immediately and chuckles, “Horror?” Kyungsoo scoffs at that, Jongin doesn’t even have the guts to watch it. “Try me,” he says, a little smirk creeps up his face when he looks at a little panic Jongin. “Just something exciting would be fine, Nini.” He says after and Jongin nods, smiling up at him. Kyungsoo thinks Jongin looks the prettiest when the smile is directed to him. 

 


They ended up choosing Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, because Jongin love the series very much and this is the latest one. Kyungsoo thinks he likes it too. It really is a great movie. He looks down at their empty bowl of popcorn, wanting to stand up to refill but a hand stops him. “I’ll do it.” Jongin says and Kyungsoo smiles, muttering a soft “thank you.” Jongin returns with a full bowl of popcorn, Kyungsoo grins at the younger and takes the now filled bowl. Jongin then sits down and lays his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, making the older freezes. Kyungsoo can hear his heart thumping so loudly in his chest and he really hopes Jongin won’t hear it. 

 


Jongin always smells nice, like soap with vanilla body lotion. 

 


Kyungsoo secretly likes it. 

 


By the end of the movie, Jongin fell asleep. Kyungsoo smiles fondly at his sleeping face, hand brushing the bangs that fell and covered the younger’s forehead. He wishes they can stay like this for a long time. 

 

 


The next time they’re on the same position is the next month. They were watching La La Land and somehow halfway to the movie, Jongin fell asleep. Kyungsoo let him stays on his shoulder again, but this time, his one hand is wrapped around the younger’s shoulder, securing him. His moment is ruined when Jongin’s phone rings and the younger jolts awake. “Hello, Taeminnie!” Jongin immediately answers the phone and then walks quickly out of the dorm. 

 

 Who’s Taemin? 

 


Kyungsoo is then left alone all day. 

 


Don’t be ridiculous, Do Kyungsoo. He’ll never ever likes you

 

 


After that day, Kyungsoo was often left alone. They will be studying in dorm, watching movies or eating and Jongin will always leave after a text or a phone call, by Taemin. 

 


Kyungsoo thinks his heart just broke into pieces. I’m so dumb, we are not meant to be

 


He’s an idiot, for falling in love first. He’s an idiot, for falling in love with his best friend and an idiot, for still staying and hoping. 

 


Yes, he cares for Jongin too much, much more than himself. 

 


Last night, the two of them were in the dorm, mindlessly scrolling on their phone when Kyungsoo decided to ask, “Jongin, can I ask you a question?” The younger had hummed, motioning Kyungsoo to go on. “Do you have someone you like? How does loving someone feels like?” Jongin was very stunned, he could feel his heart in his throat when he heard the question from the older. He stared at Kyungsoo, hoping the other would just leave the question aside but when Kyungsoo was staring at him, waiting for an answer, he knew he won’t. 

 


“I-I erm…ya, I have, I have someone I like.” The blush on Jongin’s face was so prominent Kyungsoo would not have forgotten. And it hurts. Like hell. It hurts like hell when you found out the person you like doesn’t like you back but instead like someone else. 

 


Kyungsoo let the conversation ended like that, he couldn’t stand knowing more, so he gave a curt nod to Jongin’s answer and that’s it. That’s it.

 

 

Kyungsoo knew he shouldn’t have stayed by Jongin’s side because he’ll hurt himself more but he couldn’t, he couldn’t even get angry at Jongin for god’s sake. Therefore, he acted like nothing happened and kept Jongin company, every day. He knew he’s pathetic. 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo thinks Jongin looks flawless, he’s perfect. He thinks Jongin has the most beautiful smile ever, the smile that can light up the whole world. But there’s one thing that’s better than Jongin’s smile, Jongin’s laugh. He thinks Jongin has the most hearty and warm laugh. And yeah, he thinks Jongin is absolutely perfect. 

 

 

And Kyungsoo thinks he is not perfect, so they really weren’t meant to be. 

 

 

Or maybe, they were meant to be as friends, bestest friends, but not lover. 

 

 

 

 

It was a Saturday when Kyungsoo’s heart shattered into pieces. 

 

 

He was walking out from the convenient store near the campus when he saw Jongin in an ice cream parlour around the corner of the street, with a boy. He must be Taemin. Kyungsoo thought. The two of them were laughing hysterically with an ice cream cone in their hands. They looked happy. Kyungsoo noted and walked away. 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo felt like he’d been torn apart. He felt like his world had collapsed. 

 

 

 

 

That night was the first time he cried. He cried and cried until he’s tired and fell asleep. 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo had never felt so empty when he woke up the next day, not even when he was forced to leave his family to study in a different city. He checked his phone for the time, it’s already noon and still no message from Jongin. I should’ve known better.

 

 

 

 

Jongin realized Kyungsoo was avoiding him, for days. He texted the older but received nothing. He had asked Baekhyun but the latter didn’t know anything. Kyungsoo didn’t attend the classes he shared with him too. Jongin felt anger and sadness surged through him with so much power, he’s angry at himself for neglecting Kyungsoo so much that he didn’t even know what happened to the older. They’re best friend, why would Kyungsoo avoid him? 

 

 

To: Soo

From: Jongin 

Soo, what happened? 

7:00pm

 

 

To: Soo

From: Jongin

Soo, tell me what happened. 

7:02pm 

 

 

To: Soo

From: Jongin 

Soo, we need to talk, please. 

7:04pm 

 

 

To: Soo

From: Jongin

Soo, please, talk to me. 

7:06pm

 

 

To: Soo

From: Jongin

Soo, I’m coming to you. 

We have to talk.

 I’ll be right there.

7:08pm

 

 

Kyungsoo stares at the texts from Jongin. Jongin is coming, he’ll be here soon. He should’ve known better than avoiding him. He heaves a sigh and takes a deep breath, calming himself down. It’s time to face Jongin, he will tell Jongin the truth and says goodbye to their friendship, he will be a man, he’ll rather has his heart ripped apart than face Jongin in guilt and acts like nothing happened. He can never lie to Jongin, including his feelings. 

 

 

 

 

The knock at his door signals the younger’s arrival. Kyungsoo takes a deep breath again and walks to the door. The door opens to a face Kyungsoo longs the most and his heart aches. They stare at each other until Kyungsoo broke the gaze and turns around, saying a toneless “Come in then.” Kyungsoo walks to sit down by his bed and Jongin follows, tension thick in the air. Kyungsoo swallows the lump in his throat and begins to speak. “What do you want to talk about?” His voice comes out dead and if Jongin is scared, he didn’t show it. “Soo, what happened? You’ve been avoiding me…had I did something wrong?” Jongin asks anxiously, fingers fidgeting with the hem of his pink sweater. Kyungsoo’s heart tightened at the sight, “Y-You didn’t, it’s just me.” Kyungsoo tears his gaze away from Jongin, unable to look him in the eye. “Please tell me what happened Soo.” Jongin looks like he’s in the brim of crying. “I-I…I know I shouldn’t have done this but I don’t know you and Taemin were together I’m so sorry Jongin, I’m really sorry.” Kyungsoo says in one breath and Jongin looks at him, confusion in his eyes. Why is Taemin involved? “Soo, wait, what? I don’t understand.” Jongin says, utterly confused at the situation. Kyungsoo takes a deep breath and says, “Jongin, I love you. I’ve been in love with you all this time.” Kyungsoo looks Jongin in the eyes and pours his feeling out in a small voice. His voice cracks at the end and he bursts into tears, this is my goodbye to our friendship, I love you Jongin

 

 

“W-What?” Jongin looks extremely stunned and could only utter a soft ‘what?’ 

 

 

Kyungsoo sobs, “I’m sorry Jongin, I know you are in a relationship with Taemin so that’s why I choose to tell you the truth now, I didn’t know you have a boyfriend I’m so sorry Jongin, I understand if you don’t want to be friends with me anymore, I completely understand it’s just-” He’s cut off by Jongin grabbing his face. “Soo, wait, stop. Don’t apologize, listen to me, will you?” Kyungsoo nods, cheeks still squished by Jongin’s hands. “First of all, I don’t know how you get that but I’m not in a relationship, especially not with Taemin. He’s my cousin, Taemin is my cousin, Soo. Second, don’t apologize ever again for loving me, that’s not your fault. And third, I love you too.” 

 


And third, I love you too.  

 


Kyungsoo doesn’t even have time to comprehend before a pair of hungry lips crushes against his. Kyungsoo is shocked but he responds to the kiss immediately. Jongin’s mouth is so warm and even softer then he imagined. His head spins and he lets himself sink deeper into the kiss. He feels as if all the noise around them disappeared into a whirl and nothing else is more important than the sweetness of Jongin. Nothing is more important than the sweetness that is Jongin. Kyungsoo feels Jongin smiles on his lips when they separate, the sweetness of Jongin still lingers in his mouth and he smiles, contently. 

 


“Wait, Jongin! You said you love me? Really?” Kyungsoo widens his eyes in realization and Jongin chuckles. “Yes, I love you Soo. I fell in love the first time I met you.” Jongin smiles, eyes crinkles into beautiful crescents. “Oh my god, I love you too Kim Jongin.” Kyungsoo smiles that squishy smile of his and Jongin just cannot so he grabs Kyungsoo and kisses him hard. 

 


They are both panting when they separate, stupid smile on their face. 

 

 

Plot twist: Jongin loves Kyungsoo too.

 


“Soo, when did you became so dramatic?” Jongin teases. Looking at Kyungsoo fondly. 

 

“What? It’s all your fault! How I know Taemin is your cousin?” Kyungsoo retorts, huffing and pouting in embarrassment. 
Jongin chuckles at Kyungsoo’s cuteness and says, “It’s okay hyung, I still love you.”

 

 

 

 

The End.