Last time in his arms

I just want to be a soldier

When he started to wake up he felt the air was colder than before. The boy covered himself more with the coat, and slowly opened his eyes. He saw the walls of the cave, and when he led his gaze further he could see the snow too, what the wind brought inside. Taemin shuddered and his back. The cold went under the clothes what he used as blanket, and then he remembered everything. He turned aside so he could see the man next to him, who was still sleeping. His chest was rising calmly. The fire was already gone, and when Taemin carefully touched Minho's skin he got scared because of the coldness.

"Minho..."

He rested himself on his elbow, and studied the man from above. His face was calm, his skin had a beautiful creole shade. The wound on his shoulder was not bleeding, and Taemin realized they have to find a doctor quickly. Then his gaze went to the man's other shoulder where was a purple bruise. He did it last night.

As the memories appeared in front of his eyes he blushed and made a big smile. His fingers caressed lazily Minho's chest, making small circles around his , then Taemin leaned forward and gave a gentle kiss on the skin what covered Minho's heart.

He heard a tired growl, so he lifted his head up and saw as Minho was trying to open his eyes. His shoulder was not pulsing because of the pain like yesterday, but now he had to fight with the cold weather.

The man slowly raised his hand and led it through the line of Taemin's spine. Their skin immediately warmed up, but Minho had to think clear.

"We're close to the capital. We should go."

"We have to find a doctor for you."

"It can wait" he smiled at the boy's worried face, and his dry lips. "First we have to go to the palace to meet the King."

"But..."

"I am the Captain, you are the soldier, remember?"

Taemin should not have forgotten it. He closed his mouth before he could have said anything and nodded with a sad face. He thought everything had changed between them during last night, but it seemed he was wrong. It could not be more than a little adventure to Choi Minho, but Taemin had different feelings.

"Hey" he noticed the boy's sad look, and put one of his hands on Taemin's cheek. "Taehoon, look at me."

As he heard his brother's name from the man's mouth he felt tears started appearing in his eyes, the remorse and the pain burned his chest. He wanted to tell everything, he did not want to lie anymore.

"Minho..."

The sudden kiss stopped him. Minho pulled him up on his body, so their faces were in the same line. Taemin's heart was beating so fast while every inch of their bodies touched each other that it almost escaped from his ribs.

"Take your clothes" he leaned his forehead to the younger's, who nodded, panting, and searched for his own clothes on the ground. 

When every part of his clothes were on their places he helped Taemin, and adjusted his coat, making sure the clothes covered every inch of his body, so the boy wouldn't catch a cold. In the end he led his hand through Taemin's black hair and gave a kiss on his forehead. He stepped out of the cave and looked at the mountain. He knew well that his partner wouldn't be able to climb up with one hand, so he had to find another way.

"Can you climb on my back?"

"But... your shoulder" he tried to point at the injured body part, but Minho shook his head and turned away.

"Come."

Taemin took a deep breath, then breathed it out, shaking. His breathe made a little fog cloud in the air. He took the first steps, but instead of climbing on the taller man's back he hugged him with one hand from behind, tightly.

"We are friends, right?"

Minho did not understand what had happened to the boy. He was not like this, and because of a weird reason he had a bad feeling about it anytime the soldier spoke with an unsure, shaking voice. 

"Do you think strangers do things like we did last night?" Minho gulped and leaned his head back, resting it on the younger's head.

"I just wanted to be sure."

"Can we go now?"

Taemin let Minho go, sniffling, and nodded. He watched as the man walked to the wall of the mountain. He did not start to climb right away. He waited for Taemin to hug his neck with one hand, and hug his waist with his thighs. When Taemin was safe on his back Minho pulled himself together, took a deep breath and started to go.

"Minho, can I ask you something?"

The captain was thinking about the next step during the climb, and when he made the decision he nodded. 

"What happens to a person who breaks the King's rule?"

"Hm... what do you mean, Tae?"

Taemin had to think about it again, and he had only one luck - that the man could not see his face.

"Once... I knew a soldier. We were in the same army." He had to stay in the role of his brother, Lee Taehoon. "It turned out he should not have joined the army, because... because he was too young. That was the last time I saw him, and I have no idea what happened to him."

"Why are you thinking about it now?"

"Just... he was just like my brother. I thought I should find him one day."

He should have make a better story, but it seemed Minho believed him, or if not he did not mention it, yet. The man stopped for a moment to take a rest before he continued his way.

"I'm sorry, Tae, but as I know... there is only two options that could happen to your friend. Maybe the King was merciful, but... sometimes the King doesn't know about these cases, and the General or the Captain has to make the decision and punish the person."

"What... what kind of punishment?"

"Tae, think about it."

Taemin hadn't done anything else in the last days. He was thinking about his chances. He wondered if he could go back in time, whether he had escaped from home and joined the army under his brother's name. The boy could not find the answer, yet, but he hoped once he would think about these times as a proud soldier.

The edge of the mountain was close, and Minho could feel it. He pulled themselves up with his strong arms, and as soon as it was possible Taemin let his neck go and watched as the captain tried to calm down his heavy breaths. He circled with his shoulders, making cracking sounds, then he wiped his sweaty face.

"Tell me."

"What?"

"Tell me what the Captain has to do."

"If someone breaks the rules, the soldier's superior has to put an end on it. The punishment is death."

Somewhere deep inside he suspected this would be the answer, but he had hoped there were exceptions. Taemin looked up from the white snow to the man, who was kneeling before him. Minho put his fingers under his chin and turned him that way they could look into each other's eyes.

"Would you be able to do something like this?" He had to know the answer.

"This is the law, Tae."

"But what if..."

"Taehoon" he interrupted him, and slowly stood up from the ground. "Let's go, hm?"

Taemin looked at Minho's hand. He grabbed the fingers, and let the captain pull him up from the snow.

There was no sign from the yesterday fight. Everything was covered by the calm, white snow. The small snowflakes were sparkling in the sunshine. Minho knew the road they had to follow, and soon they found it; the man said it would lead them to the capital. Taemin looked down from the mountain. He saw a city where was the royal palace too.

Taemin had never seen it before, but he had been always curious about it. Even from this distance it seemed huge and beautiful. He could not wait to get there and meet the other soldiers. He owned Lee Jinki a lot, he could not forget it, and he could only hope the man and the other soldiers had arrived to the capital.

"This is beautiful" he said, watching the buildings.

"Have you never seen it?"

"No, but I always wanted to go to the capital."

Minho smiled at the boy's words, and continued his way. Taemin waited a little bit to make sure he would remember the view, then he followed the captain, but the boy suddenly stopped. He saw footsteps in the snow. They hadn't walked in that area. Last night had been snowing, and it covered every footstep from yesterday.

"Min... Minho, wait..."

He heard a laughter and his legs stopped. The cold ran through his spine stronger than before, and he clenched his fist. Minho turned back, although Taemin was not sure he did it because he heard his name or because of the familiar laughter.

"If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it."

The anger what Taemin felt was nothing to compare the feeling that was burning in Minho as they saw the young man. The captain walked to him, but Taemin was there just in time and grabbed his wrist, strongly.

"But it's true. You're alive, what a miracle, don't you think, Shin?" He turned to the man next to him, who tried to avoid the eye contact with the others. "Give them my present."

Hearing the word 'present' Taemin had a bad feeling, and now it was him who wanted to push Minho behind his back, but the captain did not move.

Wonho looked like a little child next to the Japanese man. He reached behind his back, and for the Korean soldiers' biggest surprise he pulled two swords out from his belt, and threw them on the ground.

They did not understand. Was it a trap? What could have been in Takuya's head? They could not answer it, but Minho's muscles became tight as he saw the smile on the man's face.

Not caring about the consequences Minho escaped his arm from Taemin's fingers, and leaned down for a weapon. Takuya laughed again and swirled his katana between his fingers.

"This is what he wants. Minho, don't do anything!" Taemin was trying, although he could not hold him back with one hand. 

"They are so sweet, aren't they, Shin?"

"Alright." Minho said and pressed his lips in a thin line.

He spoke so suddenly the people around him immediately looked at the captain, and they were waiting for the sequel.

"I offer you peace. Both of you can go back to Japan. You've got revenge because of your father, your army is gone. You should leave."

"Really?" He took a few steps with his long legs.

The snow made a cracking sound under his weight.

"Takuya." Wonho stepped to him, but the younger did not like it. "I think we should accept his offer. He's right. We can't bring your father or your army back. He lets us go, and..."

"He... lets us go? How nice of him. Do you think my father left Japan to go back with empty hands?"

"What do you want, actually?" Taemin could not control himself, and before he could have stopped himself, the question was there.

"A crown." Takuya answered easily, studying his fingernails.

"Maybe you can't have that in Japan?"

"The more the better, don't you think, Choi Minho?"

There was no answer for that, and the smile did not disappear from Takuya's face. He grabbed Shin's collar with his free hand and pulled him so close they could feel the other's breath. Shin thought about the last night when he kissed those lips, and now obviously an evil command would left them.

"Kill the boy, the Captain is mine."

Although he said it quietly Minho could hear him perfectly, and his gaze immediately went to the boy next to him who did not hear anything. He picked the other sword up and gave it to Taemin. The young boy looked at the weapon then at the man, blankly.

"Run, just like yesterday. Did you understand?"

He hadn't had a choice yesterday. It was more useful that he had run for help, but now it was different. Minho needed him, even if he did not admit it.

"No."

"Lee Taehoon, it's my command! Go away now! Follow the road, and..."

They heard a thump, and Minho's face made a painful grimace. He felt dizzy for some moment, but he could stay on his feet, because Taemin held him. The man put his hand on the injured part of his head and then he saw the blood on his skin.

"I'm a really impatient person, Captain." Takuya showed the katana. There was Minho's blood on it.

The blades met as Minho swung the sword in his hand. Taemin wanted to intervene, but he did not know what he should do. Takuya was fast, so he did not even think about the idea that he should attack him from behind.

"Come with me."

Taemin shuddered because of the voice. He thought a blade would be on his back or on his neck, but Shin was just standing next to him and held his arm, so he could lead him away.

"What?"

"Your Captain's right, you have to leave."

"I won't leave him. Takuya will kill him!"

"And you want to die with him?"

Shin did not understand how a soldier could be this stubborn, when it was about his own life. Taemin remembered that yesterday the man saved Takuya.

"And what about you? You would do this too, don't even try to deny it."

Both of them lifted their heads after they heard the shout. Takuya put his palm on his upper arm, and he was panting hard. His face was red because of the cold, and his hand was red because of the blood. It just made Takuya more incensed, and now he used his leg. He kicked Minho's stomach, who almost fell back, and he could lift his sword before him just in time, stopping Takuya's attack.

It was the game of strength. None of them left the sword go, then after a while Minho's legs started to go backwards in the snow, and Takuya hit the weapon off from his hand.

Taemin's heart skipped a beat, and with the sword what his captain had given to him ran to the man, not caring about Shin who tried to stop him.

Takuya enjoyed the new situation. Taemin stepped before Minho, and held his sword with his right hand, shaking.

"I can kill both of you at the same time, it's more exciting." Takuya winked at the younger, and attacked him.

Taemin did not know what happened but he attacked back. Meanwhile Minho found his sword in the snow, and he wanted to reach for it, but then he felt the cold blade of Shin's katana on his neck. He did not want them to die, but of course he did not wish Takuya's death either.

The boy saw from the corner of his eyes that Minho was in danger, so he had to do something. He tried to concentrate on the things that were important to him; his parents, his grandmother, his brother, the honor of his family, the country... and Choi Minho's life.

Takuya was watching the sword and Taemin's face so the boy could kick his leg, and the young man bent on his knee. Taemin wanted to smite with his sword, but Takuya could avoid it and rolled aside in the snow.

Taemin shouted and touched his side. Minho became more nervous as he heard his voice, but when he went forward the blade hurt the skin on his neck. Wonho did not move away from him.

"Both of you are going to die" Takuya stood up, tiredly ", why do you have to make yourselves so tired before that?"

The young captain saw that Wonho was watching the Japanese man, so he used this moment, got the sword from him and rushed to Takuya, hitting the katana off of his hand. As Minho disappeared there was only one thing Taemin could do. If they wouldn't kill him, then Takuya would kill them. He had no choice.

The blood made the snow red under them. Taemin's fingers were shaking, he barely got air, his whole body felt the cold. He felt a weird, choking feeling in his throat and his chest; like he wanted to cry, but something prevented him.

He looked through himself slowly, and in the end his gaze was on the ground. Everything was covered with blood; the snow, his clothes, his fingers, the sword.

A teardrop ran down on Shin's cheek until it reached the line of his chin. His lips were trembling; thin blood drops appeared from their corner. His fingers found Taemin's on the sword. Both of their fingers were cold and bloody.

"Go" he whispered so quietly, even Taemin could barely hear it.

"I'm... I'm so sorry..."

He did not want this to happen. He did not want to hurt this man. Shin wanted to help them, Taemin did not want to hurt him.

Taemin closed his eyelids, so his tears found their way too and ran through his pale face. He started to pull the sword out from the flesh. Shin made a painful voice, and when the weapon disappeared from him his legs went weak. The blade was covered with his blood. Takuya stepped behind him and held the man with his long arms.

"Tae, we have to go." Minho wrapped his fingers around his wrist, and although he knew they should have killed Takuya they had to go to the palace. There they could tell everything to the royal army; the Japanese man would be alone against them.

Wonho's body was shaking. The blood's metallic taste filled his mouth, and the only warmth he felt was from Takuya, who pulled him into his arms, gently.

"Why?" Takuya asked, while he watched the elder's face.

"Takuya... you... you have to go home."

He let Shin's fingers find his and they laced them. When it happened Takuya lifted his hand to his lips and kissed the bloody skin.

"If you really wanted this, you would have let me die, because you know I'm not going to do this."

"You... you're stronger than me. You... you can live... without me."

"Yes." Takuya sniffled, and for a moment he raised his gaze to the sky, but then he immediately looked back at the boy. "I'm strong" he agreed with a bitter laughter. "But you know what, Shin? You made me stronger. Sometimes you made me weaker, though."

"I... I like it." It was like Shin did not pay attention to the other's words. It would have made Takuya mad in another situation, but now he just wanted to hear the boy's voice. "I'm here... in your arms, and... and the sun is beautiful today."

Shin mentioned to Takuya a lot that he wants to watch the stars or just the blue sky with the sun while they are in each other's arms. It was the first time they did it.

The younger had never cared about things like this. He only cared about plans for wars, action, but it was Shin who calmed him down, who wanted to teach him that he should be happy for the little things too like the sun or the stars.

"Do you think the stars are so beautiful too? Hm?"

Shin did not answer. Takuya knew why and it was the moment he realized he really had a heart, because the pain he felt showed that something broke in his chest. It broke into little pieces, and no one could help him.

When he closed his eyes he saw the day when they had first met. When he had seen Shin's smile or heard him laughing for the first time. His purity and innocence were the things what Takuya loved the most. Shin had everything what Takuya did not have, and this is why he needed him.

As Takuya opened his eyes everything was over, and he saw the motionless man in his arms. Shin wouldn't smile at him anymore, he wouldn't kiss him anymore, but Takuya was alive, and he knew exactly what he had to do.

 

*

 

When they arrived at a steeper and slippery road Taemin fell on the ground. Minho was there for him and helped the boy up. He put his hands on the other's face, so he could look into his eyes.

"Tae, are you alright?"

How could he ask something like this? He killed an innocent man! Taemin shook his head, but he could not cry again.

"Come, stand up."

Minho held him strong, while they straightened up, but then Taemin hissed and put his hand on his body's side. Until now he hadn't felt the pain that the wound - made by Takuya's katana - gave him because of the adrenalin.

"Taehoon, what happened? Lee Taehoon!"