love is just for all those who are the same

Kaleidoscope Heart

*title reference to hyukoh's wiing wiing
SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED IDEK ANYMORE 
WANNAONE DEBUT D-6
THE THE THE IS LIT !!!!!!!!

 

“Why the hell are you here?” Jinri grimaced as she stood by the door, holding onto the handle of her luggage tightly. Upon entering their apartment, Jaehwan was the one who welcomed her, eating sliced kimbap.

The winter vacation flew by in an instant, one moment Jinri’s on the train to Wonju, now she found herself back in Seoul. She spent her vacation pretty much lazing around the house, watching a bunch of dramas and movies she missed due to her busy schedule last semester. The one month vacation isn’t enough to recharge both her mind and body, but it was a big help to prepare her for the hectic semester ahead of her.

“Hyung called me since he’s making kimbap for you.” Jaehwan grinned as he walked towards Jinri, feeding her a slice afterwards. Looking at her from head to toe, Jaehwan noticed that not much has changed. Jinri just had her long hair chopped off, her hair only reaching her shoulders and a see-through fringe covering a few parts of her forehead. “You cut your hair, huh? Looks better. At least you look decent now.”

Jinri rolled her eyes before kicking Jaehwan on the sheen. “Gee, thanks man.” Playfully shoving the whining Jaehwan aside, she made her way to her room first to settle her luggage. She can hear Jaehwan’s footsteps getting near, and before he could even reach her room, she shouted, “No eating in the room! You’re not even new here, you should know that Jae!”

“Gosh, chill man. Are you on your period?”

“Yes I am!” Jinri let out a frustrated sigh as she placed her backpack on her desk. She’s feeling a little annoyed because her monthly visitor decided to come while she was still on the train. Travelling during that time can make one really sensitive, and Jinri’s one of those who feel like everything’s going to explode during that time of the month. “Where’s oppa?”

“He went out to buy groceries for dinner.”

Jinri stood up from her bed and made her way out of her room. Jaehwan was in the kitchen, washing the dishes he used while singing a random song. Their apartment is almost like a second home to both Minhyun and Jaehwan, so having them over and doing chores like these isn’t even new anymore.

“Where’s the kimbap?”

“On the table, Jisung hyung made yours special.”

“I know that, he loves me that much.” Jinri smiled heartily as she removed the lid from the plate.

“Ew.”

“Just eat, Mario.” Calling Jaehwan by his Christian name, Jinri made her way towards him, holding three slices of kimbap in her hand. After eating a slice, Jinri stuffed two slices of kimbap on Jaehwan’s mouth to shut him up. “I’m not really in the mood to bicker with you. If you need me, I’m on the couch, waiting for death.”

“Go ahead, drama queen.” Jaehwan said with a slight chuckle.

“OH MY GOSH MARIO ARE YOU TALKING TO YOURSELF.” Jinri rolled her eyes as she made her way towards the couch, curling into a ball. Her mood’s totally ruined due to unknown reasons (probably due to her hormones but she’s too annoyed to even think about it), and all she wants to do is to sleep, even after sleeping in the train for hours.

“Do you want to hear the story of how I spent my winter vacation?” Jaehwan hummed, drying his hands with a towel right after finishing with the dishes. He made his way towards the couch and sat beside Jinri who’s covering her face with a pillow.

“Shut up.”

“I joined a band, dude. Aren’t you even happy for me?” He continuously poked Jinri’s shoulder, only earning a grunt from the latter. “I’ll take that as a yes. So I did join a band, and we’re going to play tonight. Come watch me, I need my number one fan present to lead the group of fangirls screaming my name.”

“They’re probably screaming at you to leave the stage, so okay, I’ll be there to lead the protest.” Jinri removed the pillow covering her face and placed it under her head. “When’s Minhyun arriving? He’s still in Busan, right?”

Jaehwan let out a fake and dramatic gasp. “I’m the one who’s here yet you’re looking for other people? You really like to hurt me, Jinri!”

“I’m not hurting you. Hurting you goes like this,” Jinri kicked Jaehwan’s thigh lightly, just like a little nudge, but since Jaehwan is a drama queen, the reaction was quite big. It was as if he was hit with a boulder. “Stop overreacting! You know I like Minhyun better.”

“Wow, you are so heartless!” Jaehwan took a pillow and continuously hit Jinri with it, the girl just laying on the couch not even minding if she’s hit. “Just come, Jisung hyung’s coming as well so you might as well come. You won’t regret it, you get to see me sing amazing songs, and you’ll fall more in lo—”

“Just shut up for a minute, seriously. Let me rest!” Out of irritation, Jinri started kicking Jaehwan on the thigh. Poor Jaehwan has to be the receiving end of all the frustration a girl on her period has.

The two were silent for a few minutes, Jinri successfully getting a few minutes of the peace she requested ever since she arrived. Still curled up into a ball, she closed her eyes and tried to clear her thoughts, totally ignoring the pain the dysmenorrhea brought. Jaehwan on the other hand was too busy playing games on his phone, gently tapping on Jinri’s feet which were resting on his lap. An hour went on like that before the door opened, Jisung coming in with a bag of groceries.

“Jaehwan, is Jinri here alrea—”

“Sshh! She’s sleeping, and is on her period!” Jaehwan tried to whisper a little louder so the hyung by the door, who’s busy taking off his shoes, could hear.

Jisung nodded, heading towards the table to sort out his groceries. “Good thing I bought ice cream, maybe she’ll feel better after eating it.” After taking out most of the items from the bag, Jisung prepared a hot compress and took a bunch of pills from the medicine cabinet which Jinri takes during the time of the month.

“Jin, wake up,” Jisung kneeled in front of the couch, tapping Jinri gently on the shoulder. He placed the glass of water and bottle of pills on the small coffee table across the couch. “Take your medicine first and I’ll bring you to your room.”

Half asleep, Jinri sat up and took the medicine. She didn’t quite remember what happened after because she was too sleepy.

 

 

“Jin, wake up.”

“Mm..?”

“Jin, wake up. Dinner’s ready.”

Jinri slowly opened her eyes, rubbing it roughly while yawning. The first thing she saw was Minhyun’s face, and the boy was smiling at her. The boy got a little chubbier after their break; his mom probably made a lot of good food to make up for the stress he got last semester.

“Jisung hyung told me to wake you up because dinner’s ready. After dinner we’re going to the pub where Jaehwan’s band is going to perform.”

Jinri nodded, still half asleep as she got up from her bed. After fixing her hair, she went out of the room, heading straight to where Jisung is to give him a tight hug. Smiling, her brother patted her head back gently while mumbling the words, ‘are you feeling better now?’, to which Jinri nodded in response. They all sat on the dining table and began to eat. Not really feeling like eating, Jinri focused only on the kimchi stew.

“You should celebrate, Jinri. The guys next door already moved out.” Jisung said, giving her a bowl of rice. She shook her head and gently pushed the bowl of rice towards Jaehwan, who happily accepted it. “The landlord said new people would be moving in tomorrow.”

“I hope they aren’t as noisy as the previous ones.” After finishing her bowl of soup quickly, she stood up and walked towards the refrigerator to get some ice cream. She went back to her seat and started eating the ice cream, waiting for the others to finish.

“You’re really scary when you’re on your period, Jin.” Minhyun said before eating a peace of grilled meat. “You’re too silent, it’s weird.”

“What do you mean weird? She’s deadly.” Jaehwan said, pointing at Jinri with her chopsticks. “She kicked me until I felt like dying this afternoon.”

“It’s because you won’t shut up when I was trying to sleep.” Jinri scrunched her nose as she poked her spoon continuously on the frozen ice cream.

“Alright, stop bickering. Enough for tonight, you know how sensitive Jinri is.” Jisung said, pointing his chopsticks both at Jinri and Jaehwan who wouldn’t stop bickering.

Knowing that her mood wouldn’t get any better, Jinri was silent throughout dinner. Minhyun went on and on about his trip to this certain place Jinri couldn’t quite remember, and how Jaehwan spent his winter vacation with his new band. He earned a few bucks from their different gigs which went on week after week, and that when the two were gone, they spent most of their times jamming. Jaehwan didn’t directly say it, but he was happy to have the three watch his gig. Jisung never went to their performances because he promised the younger boy that he would go once Jinri’s back.

Jaehwan looked really excited as soon as they arrived at the pub. It was one of the new pubs around their university, ‘Nostalgia’, and it is slowly becoming one of the hottest hang-out places among students. The placed was unique; dim orange lights brighten up the place, the wall was filled with antique records and pictures that will surely remind you of old times, a seats on the platform by the corner used old tires as the base for the table, and old cassette tape cases were glued together to make a tissue holder. The pub was definitely a feast for the eyes, and Jinri was sure that this wouldn’t be the only time she’ll visit the place.

He bid farewell to the three after securing a good spot right in front of the stage. Meanwhile, the three ordered a few snacks; Jisung ordered a bottle of beer while Jinri ordered a tall glass of iced coffee. Minhyun order strawberry milkshake since he didn’t feel like drinking alcohol at the moment.

“This place is actually nice,” Minhyun said, sipping on his strawberry milkshake as he looked around the place.

Jinri nodded slowly, tapping her fingers on the glass table as she moved her head to the music. The live performance hasn’t started yet, and the pub’s playlist was similar to hers. Most of the songs they played were from Zion T. and the band hyukoh, and songs of those two made up her playlist. It kind of helped cheer her up a little, and she can feel her mood getting better.

When she looked up, she saw Jisung taking a sip of his beer. “Oppa, don’t drink too much. You’re driving.” Jisung nodded, placing his bottle on the table after a few sips.

“Do you know who’s in the band?” Minhyun asked, looking at Jinri.

She shook her head. “You know how Jaehwan and I were like a while ago. I didn’t have the chance to ask who they were.”

Minhyun nodded slowly before offering her drink to Jinri. The latter shook her head and remained silent as she scrolled through her phone. Minhyun let out a sigh and ruffled her hair. “Cheer up, it’s weird seeing you like this.”

“I know, I feel weird.” Jinri let out a sigh before running a hand through her hair. “I’m too sensitive, it’s irritating.”

“That’s normal, you’re a girl.”

“How ist of you, Hwang Minhyun.”

“No, what I meant is that it’s normal to be sensitive during this time of the month, because the uteru—”

“Stop,” Jinri waved her hand in the air, stopping Minhyun from talking any further about the menstrual cycle. “You learned too much from biology.”

Minhyun shrugged innocently. “Just stating a fact because it’s not an unusual phenomenon, the menstrual cycle is a bl—”

“Stop talking about my period Mi—”

“I’m talking about the menstrual cycle in general, not just yours so it—”

“Oh my gosh, stop calling it ‘the menstrual cycle’!” Jinri covered her face with both of her hands. “You’re embarrassing!”

“I’m not trying to emba—”

“OKAY everyone needs to chill and stop talking about period.” Jisung warned the two who were about to start arguing again. “Gosh, I’m not even married yet but I feel like I’m taking my kids out. Chill, kids. Chill.”

Like kids who just got scolded, the two remained silent, awkwardly drinking their own drinks. A few minutes later, the members of the band started entering the stage one by one. Jaehwan was the first one up, followed by a man with long blonde hair tied into a loose ponytail who immediately headed towards where the bass guitar is and a boy who looked like Ponyo, who probably is one of the guitarists. The three were talking and looking around the place, probably looking for their missing drummer.

“Oh? Dongho and Jonghyun are here.” Minhyun’s voice distracted Jinri, making her look at the direction the boy was looking at. She can see both Dongho and Jonghyun walking towards where they are, probably heading towards the vacant table beside theirs.

Jinri held her breath, preparing herself to face Seongwoo because whenever Dongho and Jonghyun are around, Seongwoo’s probably just around the corner. Oh , , she thought as she nervously tapped her foot on the ground. She waited, and waited for hell to come, but it never did. Seongwoo wasn’t around, and because of this, Jinri was able to loosen up a little.

As soon as the two sat on the table beside theirs, Dongho looked at her, smiled and bowed. “It’s nice to see you here, Jinri.”

Jinri nodded, bowing politely at Dongho as well. She didn’t know what to say so she just stared at the table.

“Your hair looks nice, it suits you.”

“Thanks, Dongho.” Jinri didn’t know what else to say. She wasn’t exactly sure whether she’s in a friendly relationship with Dongho or not so her snarky remarks aren’t really fit for the situation. If they were close, she would’ve told him to just shut up since she wasn’t in a good mood.

“You’re here to watch their gig too?”

Jinri thought Dongho was done talking to her so his question kind of caught her off guard. She looked back at Dongho and nodded. “Yes, Jaehwan’s singing so I’m here to support him.”

“Oh?” Dongho raised a brow, nodding slightly. “I see. That’s nice.” He smiled before tapping Jonghyun’s shoulder. “Jonghyun, Jinri’s here.”

Jonghyun looked at her and gave her a polite bow, doing the same to Minhyun as well.

“Uhm, mic check.” Jaehwan’s voice caught everyone’s attention. “Good evening everyone, I’m Jaehwan and we’re about to start the show in a few minutes.”

The people inside the pub are slowly starting come in, and almost all of the tables were occupied. It was a good thing that Jinri, Minhyun and Jisung came earlier, or else they would be one of those standing by the bar. What caught her attention the most were the girls were standing by the bar, holding cards with Jaehwan’s name on it. Jinri was a little amazed at the number of people wanting to watch the actual show; she had no idea that in a span of one month, her friend became a superstar. Well, probably not a superstar yet, but a vocalist of a local band which is starting to gain recognition. She has to admit that she is proud that her friend is actually trying to make his dream come true one step at a time.

Jinri looked at the members of the band, trying to distinguish whether she knew those people or not. The blonde guy was certainly a face she hasn’t seen before, but the guy who looked like Ponyo was familiar. The drummer is still nowhere to be seen.

“Let me start by introducing the members of our band. I’m Jaehwan, and this is Ren,” he gestured at the blonde guy fixing his bass guitar strap. The guy named Ren bowed politely at the audience. “This guy over here is Sewoon, our Ponyo.” The guy named Sewoon shook his head in amusement as he plugged his guitar to the amplifier, bowing at the audience afterwards. “Uhm, our drummer is running a little late, but I think he’s almost the— he’s here! Hurry up, don’t make the people wait!”

Jinri looked at where Jaehwan is looking at, and there, she saw Ong Seongwoo placing his bag on the seat beside Jonghyun’s. Holding his drumsticks tightly with one hand, he quickly made his way towards the stage.

“The drummer’s here.” Dongho said, glancing at her as he smiled slightly. Jinri knew Dongho was talking to her, but she chose to just ignore it.

Minhyun gave her a meaning look, but just chose to not say anything.

She shut her eyes close before placing a hand on her forehead. Is this some sort of coincidence or Jaehwan’s really just trying to mess with her? She’s not so sure herself, so she decided to just let it go and just attack Jaehwan after their performance ends.

“To everyone who came to watch the show, I’d like to say thank you in behalf of our band. Seeing everyone here really makes us happy.”

Jinri looked at Seongwoo who was busy fixing his seat and the drums. She didn’t care anymore. She knows she’s doomed so she might just stare at Seongwoo the whole time.

“Winter vacation’s almost over, and one hell of a semester is ahead of us. To those who’s currently celebrating, yes, celebrating the end of our happy days, cheer up. Who knows, maybe something good’s ahead of you? The past may be a little ty, but all we need to do is look forward and learn from all the universe is sending our way.”

“I didn’t know Jaehwan can speak words that aren’t nonsense.” Minhyun whispered to Jinri, making her smile a little as she shook her head in amusement. “Oh ho, I made you laugh.” The boy grinned as he clapped.

“And to those high school students who were able to get in, don’t bother to come during school nights again because I’ll be the first one to send you off. We have a gig next Saturday, right, manager-nim? Just come on that day so your parents won’t scold you for not attending your night classes.”

“I’m seriously cringing at Jaehwan right now.” Jinri scrunched her nose, rubbing her arms gently.

“You have to admit though, the guy knows how to talk to the crowd.” Jisung said, his eyes still on the stage.

“To start off this night, we’ll go with something chill. Here’s Wiing Wiing by Hyukoh.”

The pub was then filled by the sound of the guitar, slowly building up with a little of the drums. Jaehwan looked at her, smiled and winked at her before he started singing. It was his way of apologizing after making fun of her this afternoon, and Jinri acknowledged it.

Ong Seongwoo behind the drums looked different. It was as if he was a whole other person. Biting his lower lip as he hit the drums, Seongwoo looked like a character ripped off from a manhwa. To Jinri’s eyes, he looked surreal. Heck, he even looked more beautiful as he bobbed his head to the rhythm. She was sure that she knows how pretty this man can get, but she still felt attacked. Ong Seongwoo wasn’t only beautiful, he was oozing with charisma.  

Even though the band was playing her ultimate favorite song, she wasn’t able to enjoy or focus at all. All that she can see was Seongwoo, and the rest was a blur. During the continuous performance, she only looked at him. The way she looked at him seemed like she was taking a mental image of that exact same scene, and bury it somewhere at the back of her head. Ong Seongwoo the drummer just made her heart beat like crazy, partially fulfilling the fantasy she had in high school of being with a boy who is part of a band.

He’s not real.. she thought to herself as she looked at him. Ong Seongwoo had everything: the looks, the brain, the talent, everything. It was unfair. How can someone be this perfect?

All of a sudden, their eyes met. The moment his gaze was on her, it seemed like Jinri’s heart stopped. Seongwoo was looking at her, she was sure of it, and this time, he was smiling. He was actually smiling as he looked at her. The smile and excitement on Seongwoo’s face didn’t falter as he looked at Jinri.

Jinri was the first one to break the gaze. It has already become a habit for her to look away whenever Seongwoo looks at her. No matter how often she says that she doesn’t care anymore, deep inside, she knows that she still does.

She felt her cheeks get hotter and she knew that her face might have turned red. In a failed attempt to hide it, she covered half of her face with her hand as she looked away, clearing to hide the embarrassment. It was a good thing that Jisung and Minhyun were actually absorbed in the performance or else she would’ve been in an awkward position. Jisung didn’t know about her little crush on the band’s drummer, while Minhyun would probably tell Jaehwan all about this incident right after the show ended. It seemed like everything was on her side even for once.

Or so she thought.

The sound of her clearing caught Dongho’s attention. Seeing her current state, he already knew what’s up. Instead of teasing Jinri about it, he just laughed softly to his self while shaking his head in amusement.

Jinri was able to hear Dongho though, and she knew how playful Dongho could get after spending a semester giving out paper and pens to him. “Stop it, Dongho.” She narrowed her eyes at him.

“What?” Dongho answered, trying to feign innocence. “I didn’t even say anything.”

She can now understand the reason why Dongho and Jaehwan just clicked. “Just stop, Dongho.” The boy just nodded, still laughing slightly as he crossed his arms. Jinri let out a frustrated sigh before glaring at the boy. “I’m going to hurt you if you don’t stop laughing, Kang Dongho.”

“Now there’s the Jinri Jaehwan kept on talking about.” Dongho said with a bright smile, tapping her shoulder gently.

“Don’t listen to what he says.”

“If I didn’t know that you like Seongwoo, I would’ve thought that Jaehwan’s your boyfriend or something.”

“Ew.” The automatic response to the concept of the Jaehwan being her boyfriend prevented her from reacting to the previous part of the statement.

“That!” Dongho laughed even harder, pointing at Jinri as if he found something valuable. “That is the exact reaction I got from Jaehwan when I told him that. You guys are so in sync, it’s funny!”

“That is why people are friends, Dongho. It’s because they click.” She said in a matter-of-factly tone as she side-eyed Dongho. “Wait, do you guys hang out often for me to be the topic of conversations?”

“Yes, we did hang out most of the time during the break. Ever since he became a part of the band, we always see each other. Seongwoo and Ren are both my friends, so,” Dongho took the bottle of beer and opened it using a spoon. He looked at Jinri and offered her some, but she just refused. “Talking to you is fun, do you know that?”

“I didn’t know the break turned me into some kind of clown or something.”

“I meant to say that your reactions and comebacks are fun. They’re unexpected.”

“Whatever you say.”  Before she gets any more sensitive than she already is, she decided to just stop talking to Dongho. Her hormones are getting in the way of normal social interactions, so she decided to just stop before she does something she would regret.

Deciding to take her attention back on the stage, she felt Seongwoo’s gaze on her again. Her heart, choosing not to cooperate, was starting to beat like crazy once again. She cannot deny the fact that she does feel butterflies in her stomach. However, she wasn’t used to it. Why was he looking at her again? Was there something on her face? Does she look funny? It was making her anxious. Minutes passed and nothing has changed. Seongwoo’s still looking at her. She tried to avoid his gaze at all costs, but it was still the same. It was making her nervous. Even Dongho noticed it, for he glanced at Jinri who looked uncomfortable on her seat before looking at Seongwoo once again. Before it gets worse, she decided to just get out of the pub for a while and calm her overthinking brain.

“And that’s it for our first set, we’ll be back after a short break. You can send in song requests and we’ll try to play them for you. Thank you very much.”

Jinri let out a sigh, grabbing her phone as she stood up.

“Where are you going?” Jisung poked her arm, blinking.

“I’m going out for a while.” She took her wallet from her bag and placed it inside her coat’s pocket.

“Alright, be back in ten minutes. You know how Jaehwan gets when he’s sulky.” Jisung gave her a small smile, patting her gently on the back. Jinri nodded, telling Minhyun that he’ll be back in a while.

As she made it through the crowd, she kept on thinking of possible reasons why Seongwoo was staring at her like that. There must be a reason, and it is starting to drive her crazy. It also kind of annoyed her that these days, most conversations she’s had with people revolved around Seongwoo. Yes, she does like him but he isn’t the center of her world. She has a lot more to think about, things that are more important than her feelings for Seongwoo— her thesis, her internship, the movie they’re going to produce this semester and the scripts she’s going to write.

She let out a sigh as soon as she was outside. It was still cold, and the snow was getting thicker. It’s almost the start of the semester so she couldn’t get sick. She wasn’t allowed to get sick. Getting sick meant getting things done slower and it would just bring in more stress.

Her train of thoughts was disrupted when a dark-haired girl accidentally bumped into her. She looked like a doll— her big doe eyes and pointed nose seemed to fit in perfectly on her small and pale face. The girl bowed at her, mumbling a soft ‘sorry’ before leaving.

Jinri just decided to shrug it off and head straight to the convenience store. She was getting cold anyways. She bought a pack of her favorite yogurt drink before heading towards the table by the window. As she took a sip of the yogurt, Jinri started to meditate. This could actually be a good time for her to look back on what she has been doing that day. It was only now that she realized that she had been attacking people for no apparent reason today, especially her two good friends. She felt both sorry and thankful that the two were actually enduring her extreme mood swings and were trying to cheer her up.

Poking the straw on the third bottle of yogurt, she looked up to look at the sidewalk. Watching people is one of the things she liked to do when she’s alone; it entertains her to see different people doing their own thing as they pass by. It gives her an idea for the scripts she was going to write in the future. She felt peaceful, and her mind was slowly resting from all the anxiety she felt inside the pub.

Just when she thought that the peace she wanted so bad would last, Seongwoo appeared right in front of her. Jinri almost choked on her drink, coughing softly as she pounded on her chest with her fist. However, he wasn’t alone. The girl she bumped into was with him, holding onto his arm tightly. It’s probably Ki Heehyun, Ong Seongwoo’s rumored girlfriend.

Jinri tried her best not to stare, but she failed to do so. Seongwoo and Heehyun looked good together, and anyone with a properly functioning pair of eyes would agree.

All her life, she had never felt so small. Even during those art classes where she submitted her most ‘decent work of art’, she didn’t feel ashamed. Her stick drawings were the best. When she made kimchi for the first time and it turned out to be really salty, she didn’t really care. Getting scolded in a room filled with students felt like nothing next to this very moment.

Seeing how perfectly the two looked next to each other as they talked, Jinri felt like she wanted the ground to eat her alive. Seongwoo’s way out of her league, and a pretty, skinny and doll-like girl like Heehyun is totally the type of girl he would date. Of course, he wouldn’t waste his time on a girl like Jinri, someone who you wouldn’t look at twice when you meet her in the streets, an ordinary-looking face with no charms, and a body nowhere like Heehyun’s. She was everything Heehyun isn’t.

Too busy with her thoughts, she wasn’t able to look away when Seongwoo noticed her. She blinked before turning her back, going through the shelves for something unnecessary to buy.

“Wow, my hormones are really extreme today.” Jinri let out a bitter chuckle as she ran a hand through her hair out of frustration. After picking out the flavor of peppero she felt like buying, she went to the counter and paid for it before exiting the store.

“Jinri.”

Jinri looked up, only to be met by Seongwoo. He was looking at her with an expression she cannot distinguish, and Heehyun was nowhere to be found.

“You’re Yoon Jinri, right?” He asked politely.

Jinri nodded slowly, feeling a little dazed and confused at the moment. Why would Seongwoo talk to her voluntarily, without the persistence of her noisy friend? What could he possibly want to talk to her about? If it was about her ‘eavesdropping’ on him and Heehyun, then she does feel guilty.

“Yes, what about me?” It could’ve been a miracle that she was able to answer his question properly without stuttering or making a fool out of herself.

“I’m Ong Seongwoo.” He offered his hand for a handshake, which Jinri took awkwardly. “I heard you were the one who paid for my work last semester.”

Jinri raised a brow. “Yes..? What about that?”

“I’d just like to thank you for doing so, you kind of saved me back there.” He said, rubbing his nape shyly.

“It’s nothing, don’t worry about it.”

“Also, I’d like to pay you back.” Ong Seongwoo immediately took out his wallet from his pocket.

Feeling a little flustered and embarrassed, Jinri quickly shook her head. “No, no. No need. Don’t pay me, it’s okay really.”

“I won’t be at peace knowing that I owe someone something.” He said with a smile, however, the smile didn’t feel real to her. It made Jinri feel a little uneasy.

“No, really. Don’t pay for it, it’s okay.”

“Please?” Seongwoo took her hand and placed the bills in it. “I’d be really happy if you took it.”

“I really don—”

“Thank you.” Seongwoo smiled and bowed at her before leaving.

She stayed there for a few minutes, staring at the money in her hands.

That night, she cried herself to sleep. Whether it’s because of Seongwoo or the extreme emotional roller coaster brought by her period, she didn’t know. She was too upset to even care.

She felt sad and heartbroken, it was already an enough explanation.