Anna's Love

A Gift for Friends - One Shot Collection

Genre(s): Fluff, Romance, Comedy, Slight Thriller


Anna loves her brother more than anyone, but when he tries to come in between her and her nameless boyfriend, Anna shows him she cannot be stopped. 


“No…no…. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Anna shut the cover to her laptop before falling and sprawling all over her unmade bed. Then followed it with some wiggling and tossing about—so powerfully that her half-worn sock went flying across the room. However, her dramatic outburst was the least of anyone’s concerns. Because if they saw her tangled, greasy, bed hair and the state of her room they would instead wonder if she was a recent natural disaster survivor. “Noooo! Don’t take my Wonbin in! He did you all a favor and ended the bad guys!”

The door to her room shot wide open and behind it stood a short but sturdy man; his almond eyes scoured every corner of the four walls for danger. He was so preoccupied with searching for trouble that he hadn’t let go of the doorknob.

Startled by his unannounced invasion she raced up and pivoted her front toward his direction, “Brother?!” she shrieked.

“I heard you scream, is everything alright?”

She blinked then upon realizing, she tossed both hands into thin air, “Ah, sorry. I was reacting to  ‘The Man from Nowhere’.” She stuck out her tongue in an apologetic manner, one that softens him up.

“Again? Did you stay up all night watching movies, again?”

Anna shifted her eyes, “No….”

The man clicked his tongue, knowing it was nothing but a lie. It’s a habit to look away when she’s guilty after all. “Breakfast is on the table. I got an interview so I’m leaving first. Don’t just play and sleep all day, the towels in the bathroom need washing.”

The girl nodded. When the man was about to leave he accidentally stepped on an empty cookie bag, the funny sound made the atmosphere more awkward than it already was. Anna covered the silence after with a soft tee-hee.

“Anna Jang,” the male began, “clean your room first then you can have breakfast. It better be spotless when I come back,” he said sternly. His deep voice made it even more intimidating when he called her out by her full name.

“Understood,” she answered and pursed her lips.


After pushing everything off to the side, Anna nodded. Her glasses bounced a little before falling back into place. “There you go, all nice and tidy now that I can see the carpet,” she clapped her hands together, getting rid of any dust or dirt on her hands. Then in the kitchen, she finds Dongwoo’s now-cold-breakfast covered with plates. As she lifts them up, dew trickled down the dish’s rim and into the food. She blinked, “Ah, I will heat you up while I put the towels in the washing machine,” as she placed the plate into the microwave and left it alone, she hurried knowing she had less than a minute to complete her next task.

As she loaded the machine, she heard a familiar sound. Glued to the ground, she let it ring, “Huh, that isn’t the microwave. What is it?” Quickly she threw the last six pieces of cloth in and started the appliance. Then coming out of the room, the sound became clearer. Once she realized it was her new ringtone she had set last night, her eyes grew big and she ran to her room.

On her nightstand the phone ring one more time before she picked it up, “Ah sorry, I didn’t mean to ignore you! I was in the laundry room washing the towels like you’ve asked so I didn’t hear my phone. Sorry big brother!”

“Speaking of him, when will you introduced us?”

Anna’s heart nearly stopped. That wasn’t her brother’s voice. Quickly she checked the caller ID and noticed it was her boyfriend, “Oh Kyujong! I-I thought you said you have interviews today in the morning so I didn’t expect your calls. W-what’s up?”

She heard a slight chuckle on the other side, “Sorry I surprised you. Were you busy?”

In her head, she thought ‘not as busy as you’ as she answered differently, “No, just chores. Is something wrong?”

“Actually, I’m calling you about one of my interviewees,” the man, Kyujong, responded directly.

“Uh-huh?” Anna was not sure why Kyujong would call her regarding an interviewee. If anything he should speak to someone who can assist or give him pointers instead. Someone like his supervisor.

There was a pause before the sweet voice on the other end continued, “You didn’t tell me your brother applied for a position at my store,”

“What?!” Anna asked, her heart racing. Realizing that she had shouted at him, the girl recomposed herself instantly, “W-what do you mean?”

“Well, I had a Dongwoo Jang here. From what I remember, that’s your brother’s name isn’t it?”

Anna knew better than to lie or deny it, Kyujong has a good memory and if she lied to him he would probably try to find it out on his own. “Y-yes….”

“I think he’s a good worker. He was well-mannered and friendly when I spoke with him. He reminds me of you a lot, which made me miss you and frankly it led me to call you,”

Her heart was pounding like crazy as his sweet and gentle voice always won her over, but she could not ignore the fact that her brother has applied at her boyfriend’s store. “Kyujong...please don’t say anything to my brother. I haven’t told him about us yet,”

“I know, I won’t,” there was a pause before he asked, “should we have lunch in a bit? I’ll pick you up at our spot,” though he offered, Anna lost her appetite. She missed Kyujong just as much as he missed her, but Dongwoo and Kyujong in the same room was her biggest fear. And if it was a dream, it would be her worst nightmare.

“Actually...were you thinking about hiring my brother? If you’re going to do it for me, I’d rather you not,”

Due to her tone, the man’s voice grew lower, “I’m aware that your brother doesn’t support you seeing a much older man, but I promise I won’t say a word to him since it will be uncomfortable for you. Promise, I choose to hire him because I like him,”

She knew Kyujong was trustworthy. He has never been out of line with her and always respected her say in every situation, “What time will lunch work for you?”

“I’ll pick you up at exactly one. Any recommendations?”

“Sushi,”


Once Anna was done with breakfast at nine, she washed and dried the dishes with a clean towel. As she stored the platters in their designated cabinet, Anna heard the front door open and closed. Peeking out from behind the wall, she noticed it was her brother. He walked in with a big smile on his face as he took off his jacket. “Anna,” he called, “let’s celebrate,”

Immediately she brightened up, “Celebrate?” she asked, revealing her position in the kitchen. “Did you get the job?!”

“I did,” he sing-song as he showed her a bag, “I bought some sweets to celebrate with. Leave everything, I have lots to tell you,”

Anna quickly dried her hands on the apron she was wearing before she slipped it off and left it folded in the kitchen. When she arrived at the dining table, she saw a small cake sitting in the center of the table. Then beside it was her favorite candy, “KIT-KAT!” she exclaimed loudly and happily as she grabbed it.

“Yup, you said the store near your workplace stopped carrying them so I stopped by another and got it for you. Lucky you, that was the last one sitting in the box too,” Dongwoo said with a smile.

“Oh thank you so much!” Anna shrieked as she hopped toward her brother and wrapped her arms around his waist. “You’re the best brother ever!”

“And you’re the luckiest baby sister ever,”

Anna chortled as she pulled away, “Well congrats on your new job. Let me grab some candles and we’ll party away!” She said with a hop before disappearing into the kitchen. Once she came back out from behind the counters and cabinets, Dongwoo had the lid removed and cake ready for her.

As they dig in, Anna smiled at Dongwoo’s story, “You know I’m not that good at English compared to you, but luckily I found a store where the store manager is Korean. He was all smiles, so it was a pleasant interview. However, I hear he’s seeing a woman nearly a decade younger than him,” Dongwoo shivered in horror, “if he wasn’t seeing her, I would have thought he had no flaws. It’s hard finding a good man out there, so when you start dating I hope you’ll meet someone decent,”

Anna forced a smile, “Let’s play pretend and say if I happen to find a good man like your boss who loves, cherishes, and cares for me. Would you allow us to date if he’s almost a decade older than me?”

Immediately Dongwoo lost his smile and the raspiness of his voice could be heard, “You know my answer to that question Anna. It can’t happen. I would rather you date outside of race if it comes down to it,” Dongwoo got up to get rid of his plate then returned shortly after with a water bottle. “Just don’t get close to man a lot older than you Anna, that’s all I ask. If you don’t get close to them, they won’t hit on you.”

Anna nodded, “I understand…. I planned an outing with my friend at one so I’m going to get ready. Should I buy dinner when I come back?”

Dongwoo nodded, “That would be nice. Have a good time with your friend,”

“Hm, I will. Thank you,”


In order to keep Kyujong a secret, Anna had secure a good location for Kyujong to always pick and drop her off. As she walked two blocks down, she came to an old bus stop that was no longer used and has been abandoned. Sitting on the cold bench, Anna was in Christmas colors. She had a cinnamon red scarf protecting her neck with a netted dark green turtleneck sweater, and finally white jeggings.

The whole attire was put together by Kyujong and purchased from his very own store.

Anna rubbed her hands together as she kept her chin up. It was fun for her to always watch out for Kyujong’s car. It’s a game between them, to see who would notice the other first. Checking the time on her phone, Anna sighed. She happened to be twenty minutes early because she didn’t want to be home with Dongwoo. Afraid he would stop her from leaving despite her turning twenty-one in two weeks.

Five minutes later, to her surprise, Kyujong pulled up from around the corner. Anna got up from her seat and waved to him as he drove closer. Then once he stopped at the bus stop, with the passenger’s window rolled down, he greeted her, “Sorry I’m late. Did you wait long?”

The short girl smiled as she rested her hands on window’s ledge, “Nope, but we should call it early rather than late. It’s only 12:46,” Anna said gesturing to the time in Kyujong’s car.

He beamed, “You’re right. You look good,” he complimented.

“Thank you,” Anna replied. Even if Kyujong bought the clothes or has seen Anna in it before, he would always flatter her. It was not necessary for her self-esteem, but for the love, he has for her.  

“We’re a bit early. Should we sit here together until one o'clock?”

Anna was amused but it was too risky for them to be seen in the area together for too long. “Don’t you have to go back to work afterward?”

“I do but I told my managers I will be gone for a while. They liked the idea too, I mean after all who wants their boss at work right?” Kyujong joked some more. Though Anna can agree when it came down to her boss, however in Kyujong’s case, Anna imagined he was the kind of boss that his employees cannot do without.

“No, if you were my boss I’d like for you to stay at work with me. Besides, if I come to find out you’re out past your lunchtime because you’re with a cute girl, it might make me jealous,”

It was Kyujong’s turn to laugh and the wrinkles near his eyes came to life, “Oh Anna if you work with me I wouldn’t let either one of us go home. We’ll work, eat, and sleep together every day,” Anna blushed as she tried to suppress her smile.

“Well, you should have hired me first instead of my brother. Now we can’t do any of those,”

Kyujong revealed a softer smile as if he regretted what she had said, “I hired your brother knowing I can still do those things with you.” Anna looked at him as if he was speaking a foreign language. “When I marry you, we will do it all.” She cannot help but blush, though she was aware of the hard truth.

It would be difficult to convince Dongwoo. He was stubborn despite his kind nature and would less approve of them being together, more or less married. At times even the thought of Dongwoo’s reaction scared her. She was afraid of hurting her brother, but could not stand breaking up with Kyujong.

“Of course I will get your brother’s blessings first, don’t worry. Get in, the chilly wind is getting in,”


Anna’s eyes were fixed on her untouched food, which concerned Kyujong. Restless he set his utensils down as he softly asked, “Was it too much when I said I’ll marry you?” Anna bobbed her head up, wearing a clueless expression, “Ever since this morning you’ve been a bit gloomy. Did I upset you when I hired your brother? Or are you in any discomfort because I brought up marriage? It’s just a habit of mine, being seven years older than you. Don’t take it personally, if you don’t like it we can take our time—”

She shook her head, “Kyujong, you’re the best thing that has ever happened to me. Honestly, I’m tired of hiding you... You’re like a diamond I want to wear and brag to everyone, but you’re also so rare that I’m afraid someone will steal you from me…. About my brother, don’t get me wrong, I appreciate that you hired him because you saw potential in him. He was very happy to share the news with me when he got home. It’s just, I want to be myself but I can’t because I’m so scared of losing either one of you….” Anna hung her head. She was afraid that if she looked into Kyujong’s tender and compassionate gaze, she would break. And it bothered her to always be on the lookout for people she may know when she’s with Kyujong. She was afraid someone would tell Dongwoo about her relationship with Kyujong.

After all, Dongwoo raised Anna so to her he wasn’t only her reliable older brother, he was her parent. He was the only one in her family picture ever since she was twelve.

“And you’re like my heart. Without you, I cannot live. You give me life and you know me best,” Kyujong reached across the table and rest the back of his hand on the table, “When you’re ready, we will get your brother’s approval. I understand why he’s protective of you. Perhaps to him, you’re also like his heart. And to live we must protect our hearts,”

Kyujong was too good for her. Anna cannot imagine what she has done to deserve him. Slowly she glanced up, though she avoided his gaze she studied his hand for a little. So badly she wanted to grab onto them, to tie them down and close to her. “On my birthday…,” she began, earning his full attention. “Come by our house…. You can park in front of our house… Let’s tell my brother together,” she looked up with cautious then carefully she reached up and over, grabbing onto Kyujong’s much larger hand.

The man squeezed her fingers a little as he smiled, “I will pretend I didn’t know he was your bro—”

“No,” she cut him off, “if we’re going to do this we have to be truthful. My brother might react negatively but it’s better to tell him the truth than to lie. I just hope..you wouldn’t change your mind,”

“Do you want to get me insured? In case someone steals me you would be compensated,”

Anna tittered. It was a ridiculous idea but she considered it. “If they give me another Kyujong then I’ll think about it,” Kyujong smiled with his teeth shown.


Two successful weeks passed by quietly just like any other week. Dongwoo picked up a lot more hours despite being new and managed to get along with Kyujong just fine. From time to time Dongwoo even thought to himself, how perfect would it be if Kyujong was younger and could become his brother in law? But of course, it was only a thought.

Unlike Anna’s bright and cheerful personality, her birthday fell on one of the darkest days. Dongwoo closes his umbrella and shook the raindrops off it as he entered the dessert shop. Luckily for him, his paycheck came in early so he could purchase her cake. “Can I get a cake, please? Also, can you write her name on it?”

The Caucasian woman behind the counter smiled, “Sure which one and what is her name?”

Strawberry, please. And it’s Anna Jang, A-N-N-A then Jang, J-A-N-G, please thank you,”

The worker raised her brows, “Oh popular girl,” she commented with a wide smile.  

Dongwoo froze, “P-popular..?”

“Why yes, we had a customer come in three days ago. He had a cake customized for a Miss Anna Jang for today as well,”

A frown found its way onto Dongwoo’s face. He was at a loss for words, they lived in a city predominantly Caucasians and Hispanics. There were a handful of Asians but it was hard to find another Korean who wasn’t family, and especially one with the same name as Anna. “Do you know who he is?”

The woman did not hesitate as she disclosed all the information she had, collected in her head, “Well it was a very lovely cake. One presumably created for a special someone. I will say he was her significant other?”

Dongwoo wanted to believe it was not the same Anna he was so protective of. But what tipped the ice was that he thought Anna was single—or has been since they immigrated to the states. “Did he tell you how old she was turning?”

“No, but he will turn up soon. We gave him a call earlier about his cake being done and ready for pick up, he said he will be on his way,” right there and then the bell hanging at the top of the door rang as a man walked in.

“Hi, my cake was ready?”

Dongwoo sensed his whole body stiffen. A feeling he hasn’t felt in a while and hardly missed. It was his boss’s voice, no doubt about it. Even in English, Kyujong’s voice was silvery. Then as Kyujong fully entered the room and brushed passed Dongwoo, Dongwoo was conflicted. He wasn’t sure if he should greet the man or punch him. “Do you know this gentleman? He came to pick out a cake for a Miss Anna Jang too,” the woman behind the counter said as she gestured toward Dongwoo. When Kyujong spun around and locked gazes with Dongwoo, Dongwoo noticed the other’s smile fading.

“Oh, you’re here...Dongwoo,” Kyujong said in a low voice.

Not impressed nor fascinated, Dongwoo stared at the newcomer, “Tell me you don’t know my sister,”

Surprised by Dongwoo’s tone, Kyujong took a step closer to him, “I can explain—”

Quickly, Dongwoo pivoted away as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone, after dialing he brought the device up to his ear, “Anna, where are you? Come home right now. We need to talk,” he hung up and without looking at Kyujong he spoke, “if what I’m thinking is correct then I hope you will accept my verbal resignation. I will follow it up with a letter tomorrow,”

“Dong—” before Kyujong could stop him, Dongwoo was out the door and down the street.

“Is everything alright? He seemed troubled?” the woman asked, wondering if she had said something she should not have.

Kyujong’s voice was shaky as he had not expected Dongwoo’s reaction, but in the end, he turned to the worker, “You said the cake was eighty right?”

“...yes sir…”


In case Dongwoo scolds Anna, Kyujong arrived first and was parked in front of their house. It was different, one side of him was happy and the other was terrified. He has been good at hiding and sugarcoating it, but in reality, he’s insecure. Every time Anna mentioned anything about her brother, Kyujong become more and more jealous and envious of Dongwoo.

One reason why he hired Dongwoo—one he failed to reveal—was because Anna held high regards and respect toward Dongwoo. Thus before Kyujong even met the lad he felt that Dongwoo was his competitor, therefore if he hired the man he would at least have won in one thing. In the end, after hearing how he was like a diamond to Anna, he realized how foolish he has been to be in competition with his girlfriend’s family.

Kyujong held onto the steering wheel, squeezing it a little. Moments later there was a knock on his window, and standing on the other side was Anna. She was smiling at him and waving. Kyujong could not help but returned the kind gestures, then as he exited the vehicle and stood before her, he naturally reached for and held her hands.

They were warm.

“I thought it would be strange but it’s actually not that bad seeing you here,” the short woman said; she was no taller than his shoulders.

Kyujong smiled, “I agree. It doesn’t feel strange at all to be outside of my girlfriend’s home on her birthday,”

Anna folded their arms as she moved closer to Kyujong. Then she looked up and asked, “Scared?” He did not want to shock her with the news that Dongwoo may have already found out, but when he thought about telling her, she immediately added, “You should be. He called me earlier and didn’t sound very happy. I think the weather is getting to him,”

A soundless sigh escaped Kyujong’s lips as he broke their gazes and scanned the area. The wintry sight depressed him a little before Anna stole his attention, “You know how Wonbin went after Saeron even though he had no leads to where she was taken?”

It’s always silly and cute of Anna to boost her courage and positivity with thriller films. “Yeah,” Kyujong answered. Though he has never seen the film once, he knew a lot about it from listening to Anna.

“Today I’m Wonbin and you’re Saeron. No matter what my brother says, I will say and do whatever I can to find and be with you at last,”

Kyujong could not suppress his smile as he blurted, “I thought Saeron was a child Wonbin was trying to save? You’re applying their nonromantic relationship to ours?”

Anna shook her head, “The point here is I’m applying Wonbin’s mindset and faith. So that I have the strength to fight for you till the end,”

Even when Kyujong felt an angry pair of eyes on them, he could not fight the urge to lean forward and give Anna a peck on her forehead. Anna immediately covered her temple with her jaw slightly dropped, “Kyujong, my brother might see us—”

“It’s okay. You’re Wonbin today, remember?”

The lass scoffed a sigh of disbelief before she chortles, “And you’re my Kyujong,” she said reaching up with her hands covering the male’s cheeks. As she played with his face, the two did not notice a figure approaching them from the side. Until Anna’s wrist was seized by an enormous amount of power that nearly knocked her off her feet. Instantly she reacted by grabbing onto Kyujong’s sleeve before she noticed Dongwoo beside her.

“Anna let’s talk!” As he managed to rip her away from Kyujong, the guest followed them into their front door. Dongwoo was squeezing Anna’s wrist as he tried to unlock the door with the key in his other hand.

“You’re hurting me Dongwoo,” Anna cried, the agony in her voice triggered Kyujong. Hence he stepped in and arrested Dongwoo’s arm.

“You’re hurting your sister Dongwoo. Let her go and we’ll talk,”

His statement gained a glare from the other, “This is a family matter. I don’t know how you know my sister or what’s going on. But this is between me and her. Stay out of it or I’ll call the police,”

“Dongwoo, please! I love this man!”

Dongwoo’s eyes widened. Speechless. He felt a little betrayed by Anna’s words. He thought she knew better.

Kyujong, who was more concerned and focused on wanting Dongwoo to free Anna, tried butting in again, “Please let Anna go and give us a chance,”

Anna saw the shift in her brother’s red eyes. He was wearing the same expression when one of Anna’s middle school friends told him a boy was bullying Anna at school, and the Principal said Dongwoo better not take action since teasing between peers happens all the time. Besides, the boy’s family was rich and it was just “wiser” for Dongwoo to let it go.

“I’m serious,” Dongwoo said locking eye-contact with Kyujong, “leave. If you stay I might really punch you,”

“Fine, punch me if you'd like but release Anna first,”

Anna was not a fan of the idea one bit. How could she ever face Kyujong again if she let her brother hit him? She cannot stand to see the two men she loves the most hurt each other. “No! If you hurt him you hurt me too!”

For all her life she instilled in the belief that she owed him her utmost respect and admiration. However, today was different. It had to be if she wanted her brother’s approval, and Anna knew that. But it started out much harsher than she had imagined.

“He is hurting you!” Kyujong stated, “Dongwoo, let your sister go. Let’s talk this through like grown-ups,”

Oddly enough Dongwoo released Anna and when he did, Kyujong checked her for bruises. The redness made by Dongwoo’s hand lingered on Anna’s pale skin; though Kyujong was upset by its sight, Anna simply ignored it. She knew it wasn’t her brother’s intention to hurt her, after all, he has never put his hands on her.

“Are you okay?” Kyujong asked in a low voice. When Anna tried to reassure him, she did not realize she was shaking. Sure she understood that it was the spur of the moment and Dongwoo meant her no harm, but the power of his grip left her slightly suffocated.

It took Kyujong a moment to noticed that Anna and Dongwoo have been looking at each other. He could tell Dongwoo was apologetic but in front of him, Dongwoo would not apologize. Dongwoo has his pride, “Fine, we’ll talk. But it’s my house, my rules. If you touch me again, I could care less if it’s for Anna’s sake, I will hit you,”


As expected, it was dead silent. Anna had prepared a glass of water for Dongwoo as he has asked but refused to let her give one to Kyujong. Dongwoo sat across Kyujong and Anna at the dining table, aloof as his hands were tucked away in his pants pocket. Finally, he began, “Since when?”

Anna bobbed her head up. All she heard was Dongwoo’s voice; her mind did not process what he had asked. Luckily for her, Kyujong caught on. “Anna’s sophomore year in college,”

Dongwoo scoffed, “So almost three years now?”

“Yeah,” Kyujong answered calmly. Anna’s gaze skimmed over to Kyujong’s hand that was resting on his lap. Then as if he saw her looking, he moved it closer to her so she could hold onto it. As Anna quietly slipped her fingers through his, she felt the warmth and stillness of his hand.

He was not afraid at all.

“How?”

This made Kyujong smile, “Anna and her friends came to my store one day in November. Coincidentally my parents were waiting for me out on the floor and my mother mistook Anna as an employee there. My grandfather had just passed away at the time so my mother has been depressed. However, nonstop, my mother went on about how nice of a girl Anna was and how she wished she had a daughter like Anna. So I decided I should find the girl my mother speak very well of and thank her. Fortunately, one of my employees recognized Anna from school so she helped me get a hold of Anna. That’s how we met,”

Not impressed, Dongwoo heaved a sharp sigh, “When I heard that you’re at least a decade older than your girlfriend, I didn’t think she was my sister. What is the age difference between you two?”

“Seven years,” Anna answered this time, “but it doesn’t matter Dongwoo. I know you’re against us dating but we’ve been going strong ever since we made it official. I can’t stand losing Kyujong. We decided to finally tell you because I don’t want to hide anymore. I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you. I know how you are. But today, even if you don’t approve of us, as long as you accept it that’s all we ask for,”

“You know very well why I’m against you seeing older men, Anna,”

“Why is that?” Kyujong asked. He has been curious ever since forever.

With a stern expression, Dongwoo detached himself from his chair and in a low, dangerous tone he answered, “Both our mother and grandmother, her mother, married older men. Our grandfather was nearly two decades older than our grandmother, our father was twelve years older than our mother. Both relationships did not last more than ten years. I’m a man myself, I know how some can get bored with one woman. Because of our parents’ poor relationship, I decided to take and raise Anna on my own—”

“And I’m grateful but Dongwoo, you can’t compare my relationship with Kyujong to that of mom and grandma. Kyujong isn’t like dad or grandpa. He’s gentle, caring, and too good for this world. He won’t throw me away for another woman,”

Kyujong felt Anna squeezed his hand. A small smile was plastered across his face as he was happy to know Anna believed in him.

“You’re Anna’s brother and I know how you feel. I’m sorry you feel that way but there’s nothing I can do about my age or our . However, I can promise you that I love your sister very much,”

When Anna and Kyujong thought they have won Dongwoo over, his sudden statement left them dumbstruck, “If a parent’s love can change, how can I be sure that a stranger’s wouldn’t? Because it’s Anna’s birthday I will give you two until tomorrow to break up. If you guys won’t break up, I’ll be left with no choice but move us back to South Korea,”


When dawn fell, Kyujong stopped the car in a parking lot near the sea. Anna, who was in passenger, stared out the window quietly. Between them, on the console, was Dongwoo’s two weeks notice. After announcing that this was the worst birthday day ever, Kyujong offered to drive Anna around town until she felt better. Except it’s been six hours and Anna has not opened up.

“Anna,” Kyujong began, “I think we should break—”

Anna, who did not want Kyujong to finish his sentence, unfastened her seatbelt and got out of his car. Slowly Anna folded her arms across her chest and walked toward the endless body of water. As she walked down the stairs that led to the sand, she felt Kyujong’s hand slipped around her arm. He spun her around and to him. “Let me take you home. Your brother is probably worried about you,”

The lass shook her head, “I want to stay here. If you have to go, you can go,”

Kyujong was aware that he was Anna’s first boyfriend so she’s inexperienced with having and going through breakups. Deep down he knew she was confused and she was suppressing her emotions. He wished she would let them all out believing it will make it easier for her. Then slowly he moved closer to Anna and wrapped his arms around her small body, “I think I’ve found the solution to our problem,”

“What?” Anna questioned in a small voice.

A smile grew steadily on Kyujong’s face, “If you move back to South Korea, I’ll just follow you. It’s not like I’m a foreigner. I’ve been to Korea a few times,”

Immediately Anna broke out from his embrace and grabbed ahold of his face, “Oh! You’re right!” On her face was one of the biggest smiles he has ever seen, “My Kyujong is so smart,” she complimented and laughed. Kyujong was glad to see a smile on her face, then gently he protected Anna’s rosy cheeks with his own hands.

“And my Anna is so strong,”

Anna chuckled, “Right?”

Kyujong shook his head a little, “Mm, so strong I think my cheeks are hurting,”

A gasped escape Anna’s mouth as she pulled away, “Sorry! I didn’t mean to!”

Right then Kyujong playfully pinched Anna’s cheeks, “Apology accepted because you’re cute,”

The lass stuck out her tongue, “How can you call a woman cute? I’m pretty, not cute,”

Kyujong crinkled his nose, “You’re cute,” Anna groaned a little but smiled in the end. She decided to tolerate it since it was coming from Kyujong.


Anna opened up the back to Kyujong’s car and her jaw dropped in awe, “You bought a cake for me?!” Kyujong appreciated her pure and innocent reaction, though it was the second time he bought her a cake. “Can we eat it, can we eat it?”

He was amused. Anna was like a child whenever there were sweets in her presence.  

“Sure, but I didn’t prepare any utensils or napkins—”

Anna held up her two hands, “Who needs them when we’ve got these?” Kyujong laughed helplessly as he pushed her hands down.

“That’s dirty. Let’s go to my place and celebrate it there,”

“Y-your place?” Anna asked in surprised. Though they have dated for a while, neither one of them has seen the inside of the other’s house. Well, except for today since Kyujong was just at Anna’s place. “Alright then. You didn’t get to explore my home but I can explore yours since you don’t have a stingy brother at home,”

The corner of Kyujong’s lips rose a little, “Sure, I’ve been wanting you to aimlessly wandered into my place one day out of curiosity,”

“What? Wouldn’t that be dangerous?” She asked both entertained and surprised.

Kyujong shook his head, “Dangerous? Someone as cute as you?” Then slowly he shut the back of his car and walked over to the passenger seat, he opened up the door and waited patiently for her. When Anna showed herself around the corner, her hands were clasped behind her and her steps toward him were slow.

“Actually, can you take me home instead? I want to talk to my brother,”

Kyujong was caught off guard but slowly complied with a smile, “Sure, I’ll take you home,”


Anna hurried into the house and shouted, “I’m home!” as if nothing has happened. Coming out of the kitchen, Dongwoo was in an apron when he wore a horrified expression.

“What’s this? You two broke up already?”

“Nope!” Anna took out one finger and pointed it directly at Dongwoo, “We’re never breaking up! Ship me anywhere you’d like, Kyujong will follow me! You will have no choice but to accept us!” She announced before hefting a playful, evil laughter.

Dongwoo raised a brow, “Seriously?”


Kyujong opened the empty fridge and gently set the box on one of the shelves. “I’ll call you later!” Anna’s words rang in his head as he stared at the untouched cake hidden away in the pink box. Then out of nowhere his cellphone rang and brought him back to the present, Kyujong searched his pocket for the device. Hoping it was Anna, he was in for a surprise. The caller ID read ‘mom’.

As he brought the phone up to his ear, Kyujong shut the fridge and walked over to the living room. Where he sank into one of the long, white couches. “Yes mom,” he answered.

“How did it go? Wasn’t today my Anna’s birthday? Tell me you took her out and treated her how I’ve raised you to treat a lady?”

Kyujong sighed a little. Though he doesn’t regret allowing his mother to be overly-obsessed with Anna to the point where she referred to Anna as ‘my Anna’, he did feel slightly guilty for not stopping her. “Mm, it was good. We had cake and…,” he trailed off as he was not sure if he should add more lies to his lie, “talked about our future,”

He heard his mother giggled and fangirl, “My son, you make me proud! Hold onto my Anna tightly. She cannot go anywhere. She has to be your mom’s daughter-in-law, no one else’s, understand?”

Kyujong smiled. Where does one find such a supportive mother? “I know. How’s Hawaii? Is dad with you?”

“My son, Hawaii is beautiful as always. I can’t wait when you marry my Anna, oh! How about Hawaii for your honeymoon? I’m sure my Anna would love the beach!”

“Mom, you forget we’re in New York. We see the sea every day—”

“Hawaii water and New York water are not the same my boy,”

Kyujong knew better than to go back and forth with his mother. Gradually their phone call lasted nearly two hours; the majority of the time it was Kyujong listening to his mother ramble on about their vacation, her future plans, his work, and most of all, Anna.


Anna was lying on her bed, staring at her phone. With her third call rejected, she wasn’t sure if Kyujong was avoiding her or talking to someone else. Her mind was occupied, to the point where she never noticed Dongwoo standing at her door. He studied her, aware that she was waiting for Kyujong’s call.

The clocked ticked by slowly and once it hit midnight, someone rang their doorbell and surprised the siblings. Anna got off her bed and ran for the door, hoping it was Kyujong. But once she came around the corner, she saw Dongwoo standing at the door with someone in front of him. Anna does not recognize the visitor until Dongwoo was pushed off to the side and a man with his hands full barged in. “Look who it is! Our birthday girl!”

As if someone had glued down Anna’s feet, she could not move them at will. The familiar face brought back unwanted memories. It was her father, who divorced her mother and exclaimed he had no children. The man tottered closer to her, making her want to run and hide. Then as the man was about to hug her, Dongwoo stepped in and stopped him. “Show some manners. You’re a stranger to Anna,”

Upon realization, the man pulled himself back and wore a sad expression, “Ah, sorry. I forgot. Well since I’m going to be staying here for some time, there will be a lot of time for us to catch up,” without looking at Anna he moved passed her as he hummed an unknown song to himself.

Dongwoo exchanged gazes with Anna before he spoke, “You might not remember dad but that’s him. I guess he and his wife in Australia had a fallout. I told him he could stay here for the time being and get his life together. Clear your schedule and make some time for him this week. You two should bond before he goes back,” as Dongwoo attempted to step away, Anna grabbed him.

“Dongwoo, my legs aren’t working…. This makes me uncomfortable,”

The male frowned, “What do you mean? Dad being here makes you uncomfortable?”

Anna shook her head, she was not certain what was wrong with her. But seeing her father made her slightly mad and nervous. “I-I don’t know. My heart is beating like crazy and I don’t know why. It feels like someone is holding onto my heart and squeezing it,”

The word squeezed reminded Dongwoo of the incident earlier when he grabbed onto Anna’s wrist. “Anna, what’s wrong with you? Are you crying?”

Before she knew it, she was shedding tears. It was unlike her to cry in front of Dongwoo and normally she could control her emotions, but in the moment she did not know what was happening to her. Her knees trembled a little as she tried to hold herself up. “P-please call Kyujong. I don’t want to be here,”

Suddenly Dongwoo released her and snapped, “Are you acting like this because you want to be with him? I told you, you can’t be with him. Even if you’re on your deathbed I won’t let you see him again,” Dongwoo left and went into her room. Anna leaned against the wall to keep her from falling over. Then once Dongwoo came out of her room, he had her phone in his hand. “I’m confiscating this. Don’t even think about contacting him outside of this house,”

“Dong-Dongwoo,” Anna began but the male turned his back to her and followed their father into the living space. Anna groaned softly as she placed a hand over her heart, and dug into her skin. Even breathing seemed like a job as it was asking for so much of her effort. To calm herself down, Anna thought of Kyujong.

His kind gestures, his genuine smiles, his scent, and the way he worries about her for the smallest things. Sometime later Anna managed to move her feet and legs again, and with the walls help she slowly headed for her room.


Kyujong turned off the cold water, got out of the shower, and put on a gray bathrobe. He walked over to the nightstand beside his bed and checked the time on his phone. It was one in the morning and he had work in a few hours. Kyujong pondered if he should sleep or see if Anna was still awake.

He scrolled through his contacts and messages. Normally Anna would have sent him a goodnight text by now, but he received nothing. Kyujong assumed Anna may have fallen asleep early or she was still talking to Dongwoo. Maybe they decided to celebrate her birthday after all.

Kyujong exhaled as he fell backward onto his bouncy, queen size bed. His head was propped up and his hands were buried in his drying hair. An hour later, after waiting for a text, he fell asleep on his side. When Kyujong woke up three hours later, his phone was still as blank. He thought about sending her a text but decided to hold back.

It was six when Kyujong left for work. He was the opening manager that day and Dongwoo was scheduled to open with him. To his surprise, the male showed up but paid him little to no attention. Finally, as Kyujong was overlooking some paperwork in the aisle, Dongwoo approached him.

“I don’t know what trick you and Anna are trying to pull but this is a warning. I gave you two a whole day to break it off so if I find you two contacting each other, I will take Anna and hide her from you, I’m serious,”

Kyujong lowered his hands and turned to face Dongwoo completely, “Don’t you realize that what you’re doing is hurting Anna? You may see her as a prized possession but Anna is a woman who’s very capable of making her own decisions. If you really love her, you wouldn’t be making her decisions for her. You would be supporting her,”

“I’m protecting her future. The between you two will one day become your handicap. My sister is better off with a man her age. Someone who can understand her and she can understand him—”

“By any chance, are you against our relationship because I’m older than you? Were you planning to control her husband too when she gets married?”

Dongwoo scoffed as he moved his face closer to Kyujong, to anyone passing by it would be an ugly sight. One would think the two were about to start throwing punches at each other, “Unbelievable. Look here, Mr. Kim. You’re a smart guy. You’re rich. You’re capable of a lot of things my sister and I aren’t. You can buy yourself a loyal, beautiful woman if you can’t find one. You have money you can throw away to get you out of trouble. I’m not against your person, to be honest, you look like a good guy. You might be a good guy. But your status makes you a bad man. I don’t believe that you were a bachelor when you started seeing my sister. Given your looks, smiley exterior, and wealth. C’mon, be honest with me. You have gone through one or two divorces before you met my sister haven’t you?”

Kyujong was appalled by the picture Dongwoo has drawn of him. He was just a playboy in Dongwoo’s book.

“I want to debunk every point you just tried to make, but I was taught to be the bigger person in all scenarios. So, if you promise me one thing and follow through with it, I promise you I will stay as far away from Anna as I can,”

“Yeah? And what’s that?”

“Accept the next man Anna falls in love with. If you judge her man, you judge her judgment,” with that Kyujong walked away before the sight frightened other workers. Dongwoo watched the man strode away, then slowly but surely a grin worked its way onto his face.


A week later….

Anna was in bed after returning from her mid-shift. When midnight rolled around, the shattering of glass and cabinets being slammed woke her up. Anna opened her door and across the room, she saw Dongwoo holding his own hand. Then she saw blood. “Dongwoo!” Anna rushed over, her eyes fixed on a fresh cut made on his palm. Then she heard groaning from near the sink.

It was their father, drunk and knocked out.

“I’m okay,” Dongwoo said as he looked into her eyes, “go back into your room. I’ll clean up and tuck dad in so he doesn’t get hurt—”

Anna grabbed onto his sleeve, shaking her head, “I’ve had enough Dongwoo. First, he brings in women he met at a bar and today is the third time he comes in drunk and out of his mind. Look, you got hurt because of him! How can you stand this? You can’t even stand someone as good as Kyujong, so why….” Anna trailed off when she saw the look in Dongwoo’s eyes. Instead of anger, she thought there was a hint of sadness?

“I’m sorry Anna. I didn’t think dad would abuse our hospitality. It’s uncool of me to go back on my words but, I think it’s best if you leave home for a few days. I will try to talk dad out of being stubborn and make him go back when he’s sober. You should stay at Kyujong’s place for a while. I did some research and his place is close to your workplace. Besides, I think you will be less stressed there compare to being here,”

Dongwoo’s voice was soft and he sounded exhausted. But it was no surprise, the bags under his eyes get bigger and more vivid as the days go by.

“Are you crazy? Before he sobers up I’m afraid he will hurt you!”

“I signed up for this…,” Dongwoo chuckled a little, “it’s obvious I at judging people. What you said to me made me realize I’ve misjudged Kyujong all this time. He’s not a bad man. I knew that since the beginning….I just didn’t like the age difference and that made me break you two up....,”

“Dongwoo…,” Anna was touched but she was concerned for Dongwoo’s wound. “Let me patch you up first,”

In the bathroom, Anna carefully cleaned Dongwoo’s cut before she wrapped it up with a peachy bandage. Dongwoo winched and tried to keep himself distracted by engaging in small talks with Anna. “When you see his face again you should repeat what you’ve said to me,” Dongwoo teased.

“Gee stop, it was so cringy,”

“What was it again? Why was Kyujong special?” Dongwoo urged.

Anna sighed, “Give it up. I don’t want to say it again,”

“No, say it. It was golden,”

Eventually, the woman gave in and stated, after a sigh, “He’s special not because of his age, kindness, nor accomplishments but because he loves me, blah blah blah,”

Dongwoo smiled, grandly, “Want to know what he said to me?”

“What?”

“He said if I judge the man you choose then I judge your judgment. You’re my sister, I know you have good eyes, four good eyes,”

Anna clicked her tongue before she pressed down on Dongwoo’s wrapped-up-palm, “Four eyes are you serious?!”

“Ow, ow, ow! Anna Jang!” Dongwoo howled and kicked the air to help him endure the sharp pain. “What the heck?! That hurt!”

“That’s what you get, you-you dinosaur!”

The heavy night turned lighter and them being on good terms made leaving easier for Anna. In the same backpack, she used to carry to school was her laptop and some of her necessities. She could not pack more due to it being short notice. Who would have thought she would be staying at Kyujong’s place a week after Dongwoo caused a big storm.


Anna stood outside of Kyujong’s door. Her heart was beating rapidly. It has been a week since they have talked. And whether Kyujong has moved on or not was unknown to Anna, but she on her way there she had hope he would give her and Dongwoo a second chance.

Finally, after a minute ticked by, she cleared and built the courage to pressed his doorbell. Moments later the door flew opened and standing behind it was a woman. For a brief moment, Anna thought she got the wrong place until the woman threw her arms into the air and pulled Anna into a bear hug. “Oh my, it’s you! What a pleasant surprise!”

Startled and frozen, Anna was clueless about how she should have reacted. Then quickly the woman pulled her in and shut the door behind Anna. Firmly she had both hands on Anna’s arms as she directed the lass into the room. “Kyujong, my boy you’ve got visitor!”

“I know, the front desk called and told me someone was here so—” Kyujong came out from behind a set of half-walls. He was in a loose long-sleeved and sweats, something Anna does not get to see every day. Usually, Kyujong is clad in formal and dress wear, but the sight of him made Anna smile. “Anna…,” he whispered.

“Look at you, your wife-to-be is here and you look shabby,”

“Mom,” Kyujong began but the older female shushed him.

“I know, I’m taking my leave. Dinner is on the table, I didn’t know my daughter-in-law would come home so I didn’t bring much. Give her half your share, you hear?”

Kyujong sighed, “Mom, really,”

The older woman gently squeezed and rubbed Anna’s arms a little as she spoke, “He’s a mess, isn’t he? Ask him not to overwork himself and you two please make up. And later, let’s formally meet when your father-in-law comes to town, okay~?”

Anna smiled, “Yes, mother,”

“Oh look at you! Yes, don’t hold back and call me mother from now on okay?”

“Yes...mother,” Anna said, more awkwardly this time around. However, Kyujong’s mother, on the other hand, found it adorable as she patted Anna’s back and headed out with her hip swaying side to side. Once the door was shut behind her, Anna turned to Kyujong who was embarrassed and quiet. “I really like your mom. She’s the way I remember her to be,”

“Well turns out she’s a big fan of yours,”

Anna’s smile could touch her ear if she spread it even more, “And I’m a fan of hers,” she said with her shoulders close to her jawline as she found it adorable. Slowly Anna began to walk around the spacious living room that was connected to the kitchen. “Your place is very nice, compare to mine,” she said without thinking. Though it was very true. The setting was almost too professional that Anna could see it being a luxury hotel room instead.

“Make yourself at home. I’m going to change and then—”

Anna waved him off, “It’s okay. I’ll set up dinner for you then leave. I didn’t mean to intrude without notice,”

Kyujong cut in instantly, “No,” he rubbed his nape before adding, “y-you’re not intruding. I just thought,” that we were through was what he wanted to say, but at the same time, he was afraid of her response. What if she replied with yeah we were over, I just thought I should come by and check on you, you who is a good friend of mine.

“You just thought what?” Anna pushed, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. Kyujong looked into her large round eyes, they appeared even bigger behind her round glasses. Slowly he noticed her glasses, they were different and possibly new.

He smiled, “I’m...I’m happy you’re here. I missed you, Anna,”

Anna’s face brightened up, “I missed you more, my diamond,” then she dropped her baggage and found herself snuggled up against Kyujong and held by his arms. Anna swore this was the best feeling ever. 

Wonbin found Saeron alas.


A/N: I really dragged this one out didn’t I..? Haha. To my dearest Ann, I’m sorry if this one-shot did not meet your expectation! I meant for this to be more of a comedy and fluff story than a drama one, but to be completely honest I forgot it was supposed to be comedic after the very beginning... I tried to include some silly scenes so I hope you’ll forgive me for that (I keep listening to sad songs as I write and somehow the mood just sort of worked its way into the story itself >.<). And although I honestly don’t know how I feel about this one I hope you liked it a little. I personally enjoyed Kyujong and Anna’s flirty scenes though I don’t know if this was the kind of Anna you’ve imagined.

Anyway, thank you for requesting and waiting for a one-shot from me!

Word count: 9051