Spring

Rust
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soon after, the bracelet had worked its magic, literally. Taehyung had healed with little to no fever and he had stopped coughing blood. However, his appetite seemed to have increased even more than what it was before. That surely wasn’t a problem since his mother sent him excess fresh groceries from his home town anyways. Plus, it allowed him to taste different dishes Hoseok was capable of cooking.

Hoseok never failed to surprise his taste buds, which were sometimes unappreciated. Taehyung just couldn’t eat mashed potatoes with raw fish in them.

“Your fever is completely gone.” Hoseok said as he checked the thermometer. “I told you I’d be fine.” Taehyung replied without removing his concentration from the game he had been playing on his newly received laptop from his mother upon his soon to be held university graduation.

The purpose of it was to help Taehyung score well in his assignments but Taehyung liked to multitask with an object.

It had been an entire year since Taehyung had found Hoseok in his life. Thing had gone to the top of the mountain to entirely downhill. However, everything was perfectly fine now. As much as he hated to admit it, the bracelet had done its job. Within two days of wearing that on his wrist, he was back to his normal life.

Unfortunately, Taehyung’s mother had figured out about his little “health” situation and had stayed over for a week to make sure he was doing perfectly fine. One cough would earn him about a hundred scolding and he didn’t appreciate how much Hoseok was enjoying his misery.

“Quit playing games all day and go prepare for your finals; or help me with the chores.” Hoseok complained as he poured the detergent in the washing machine. “Nah. You’re the knife wife.” Taehyung replied with his eyes still static on the laptop screen. “Kim Taehyung! Stop saying bull you see on tumblr and help me out!” Hoseok ordered and Taehyung knew, if the ghost was taking his full name, it was time to quit playing games.

 

---------------****

“You’ve finally gradated then, huh?” Hoseok asked the human as the words dripped with fondness. “Yeah, finally did it.” Taehyung replied sitting under the cherry blossom tree. The wind was neither cold, neither was it humid. It was just enough for him to feel a coolness over the bare parts of his skin. Spring was always Taehyung’s favorite.

 “Three years of university, yet someone here made no friends.” the ghost ridiculed the human as he burst into giggles. “ you Jung Hoseok. I don’t need friends. I got Jimin, Jungkook, Namjoon hyung, Jin hyung and most importantly, you.” Taehyung replied as he counted his friends with his fingers. “Oh yeah, four whole humans and a ghost.” Hoseok mocked rolling his eyes.

“Shut up and let’s go home. I am hungry and you’re making celebratory meals till next week anyways.” Taehyung “suggested” the human. “Excuse me, but are you ordering me?” the ghost asked following Taehyung to the train station to their apartment area. “Nope, I realized it when you gave me the long grocery list.” the human replied with a grin.

Hoseok wished that the human had used his brains for educational purposes rather than in such circumstances.

As two entered the apartment corridors in silence, they realized they were being visited by only four friends the human had. Taehyung cussed in his mind for missing out on his celebratory dish of the day but regardless, he was happy enough to jump on them and pull them into his embrace. “I was shocked when Namjoon hyung informed us about your graduation. Didn’t think you’d make it.” Jungkook informed with a cheeky grin as he fist bumped the now graduate.

“ you Jeon Jungkook.” he cussed at the youngest as he opened the lock of his apartment. “I didn’t either though. Almost didn’t make it.” Taehyung added however, as he laughed at himself. “You lock your apartment door now, huh?” Jimin asked as he entered the apartment which was much cleaner than he had come to witness it. “Yeah, kind of pulled that habit in.” The taller replied with a shrug.

“Whoa, what are all those grocery for?” Namjoon asked blinking his eyes constantly to make sure he wasn’t imagining or hallucinating the massive amount of food supply in Taehyung’s kitchen. “Oh bought them beforehand because I am not leaving this house for ten days.” Taehyung lied as he placed his coat on the coat hanger. The four humans watched the sight with mouths open. “What?” Taehyung asked furrowing his eyebrows, wondering why the others were astounded. “No it’s just...I have never seen you NOT throw the coat on the ground.” Jungkook informed with his tone still quizzical.

“So, since when did you learn to cook traditional Korean dishes?” Jin asked as he took a seat next to Namjoon on the sofa. Jimin and Jungkook made themselves comfortable on the floor, spooning each other. It almost made Taehyung jealous, since he was unable to perform such acts of affection with Hoseok. “I’ve been watching a few YouTube videos lately so I decided to cry cooking them.” Taehyung lied as he took a seat on Jimin’s lap who immediately pushed him off, declaring the other was too “gigantic” to sit on him.

“Lying is so easy in modern society. The excuses are endless.” Hoseok commented with a sigh.

As much as Taehyung hated it, after his answer the room was filled with some sort of silence and a thick atmosphere. He couldn’t bring himself to speak as the others inspected him. He knew they would get suspicious at one point but he wasn’t prepared to face it. Not yet. “Taehyung.” Jin began after letting out a deep sigh. “What is going on?”

“What do you mean?” Taehyung asked swallowing a lump down his throat but keeping his facial expression steady. “What I mean is who is the person you pretend to talk to over the phone?” Jin began, “Who is cooking you all these dishes? Who has taught you these little manners we never could? Who is cleaning your house? How come we don’t see the person when they come in or go out? How come your call logs are empty even though you’re always talking someone?” he finished with frustration.

No matter what, Taehyung was, has been and always will be his little brother.

“You checked my phone?” Taehyung asked the eldest with a tone of offense and betrayal. He had never expected Jin, out of all people, to invade his privacy. “What else could I have done? I had no other option. You’re not telling any of us anything.” Jin replied with tears forming in his waterline.

“Well, I’ll tell you what’s going on.” Taehyung began, “I went to YouTube and learned how to cook. I have been learning how to take care of myself and you don’t see anyone because there is no one to see.” he finished, forcing his words on the eldest, leaving no room for further questions.

“That’s a lie, Taehyung.” This time Jimin spoke, lifting himself up from his lover’s lap. “Then, what are you trying to prove here?” Taehyung asked the shorter latter with a bitter tone and an unintentional glare. “We’re not trying to prove anything, Taehyung. It’s you who knows what’s going on. As your family, we’re just trying to understand what’s going on.” Jungkook replied to the other. “How did you suddenly heal within one night when you were coughing blood in the morning?”

“I don’t know what taboo you guys are thinking but I healed because of the medications I was taking. There is nothing else for me to explain.” Taehyung replied, “If you guys are done, feel free to live. I have a few job interviews to apply for.” he added with a tone much more bitter than before. “Fine, have it your way. Do know, we’re here if you ever want to tell us or if you ever need us.” Namjoon informed the other before he grabbed on to his lover’s hand, who had been shedding silent tears.

Before Taehyung could let out a frustrated sigh, the four males were long gone from his apartment.

“Tae, are you okay? I—.” Hoseok began to speak to apologize to the human but he was soon shushed. The ghost felt guilty and at fault for the misunderstanding that had occurred between the family members. “Sit down.” Taehyung informed as he patted the empty space next to him on the sofa. “Don’t even think of apologizing, it’s not your fault. I am not ready to talk about you. Not yet.”

“Will...will they acknowledge that you’re telling the truth?” Hoseok asked sitting next to the human. “I don’t know. That’s not what I am worried about. As long as they don’t try to separate us, I don’t care what they are going to think.” Taehyung replied, scooting as close to the ghost as possible. His failed attempt to place his hand on top of Hoseok’s was not gone unnoticed by the ghost. “Sometimes it’s difficult to hold back my laughter each time you try to touch me.” the ghost informed with a loud giggle.

“Hey! I am sorry for wanting to hug you and to hold your hand. Witchcraft my , they can’t even make something so that I can physically feel you.” Taehyung complained with a visible pout appearing on his lips and his forehead wrinkled. “I have an idea though.” Hoseok said before he disappeared into the human’s closet to fetch some clothes.

“What are you going to do with a pair of gloves and that old blanket?” Taehyung asked being confused and wondering what the ghost’s current motive was. “Oh my god, are you that dumb?” the ghost asked groaning as he wrapped the blanket around himself and putting on the gloves on both of his hands. “I still don’t—.” Before Taehyung could finish his sentence, the ghost had jumped on top of the human and pulled him into his embrace.

It would be a lie if Hoseok said he had to stop himself from laughing as Taehyung’s eyes almost fell out from his sockets.

Although before the ghost could have stopped chuckling from the human’s reaction a very warm human body had tightly embraced him, which made him question science and life further. As a ghost, it was not possible to feel the temperature; yet, Taehyung’s embrace was as warm as the spring sun.

The human tightly intertwined their fingers together and placed his chin on the ghost’s shoulder. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He made sure the feeling of Hoseok’s embrace was being tattooed on his body so that it would ghost over him till he could feel it again.

--------------***

“Kim Taehyung!” Hoseok shouted from the kitchen as he diced the onions. It was curry night to celebrate Taehyung’s official debut in the model world. The human had been on a strict diet for days, which Hoseok made sure was giving him enough energy. Finally, Taehyung could eat the ghost’s cooking once again; the real food that is. “Yes, babe?” Taehyung called out in reply.

“Kim Taehyung, what did I tell you to do the onions before you went to take a shower?” the ghost asked with a sigh, proceeding his task. Soon a pair of long arms had wrapped around his waist and a chin landing on his shoulder. Ever since they had discovered the little “hack” of making Hoseok “physical”; the human had been putting Hoseok in clothes from head to toe.

“You told me to dice them.” Taehyung whispered into the ghost’s ears, who closed his eyes for two reasons. One, he was done with the human’s bull and disrespect. Two, he really needed Taehyung to stop using such seductive tones when speaking to him. It was working its magic, which was to fluster the ghost. “Then why didn’t you do them?” Hoseok still charged with courage.

“Well,” Taehyung began to speak as his words ghosted over the turtle neck of the t-shirt Hoseok had been wearing. Not that Hoseok could “feel” exactly anything from the human world, but at that gesture, he started to feel he was losing a part of his sanity. “Stop!” Hoseok warned the human by slapping his hands away. “Do you want to eat curry or not? Quit messing around and help a little. Set the table.” The ghost ordered with a groan of annoyance.

“Jesus, you’re no fun. I feel like I am the one putting effort in this relationship.” Taehyung joked as he set two sets of cutlery on the table even though Hoseok could not eat. “Excuse me? You’re putting effort? I am the one cooking, cleaning and taking care of everything!” Hoseok glared at the human who burst out in laughter at the other’s angry pout. “I am sorry; you know I don’t mean that. You’re the best thing that has happened to me.” Taehyung replied as he took hold of Hoseok’s gloved hands and placed a kiss on top.

Hoseok was quick to taking it back. He still wasn’t used to feeling of Taehyung’s physical touch. “Let’s have dinner, watch a movie and go to sleep.” Taehyung said lastly as he intertwined their fingers tightly for a few seconds before letting go.

If there was only one thing Taehyung could ever take pictures of, it would be Jung Hoseok and his shy smile as a rosy glow on his face.

 

----------***

 

 

Sometimes when death is incredibly close, you’re given the opportunity to have flashbacks of every moment and every emotion felt through the span of being alive. Hoseok remembered a few things, a few decisions he had to make to save someone he loved.

He wouldn’t say he was given a proper span of time to make the regretful decision, which would then lead to his afterlife; as a ghost. Perhaps, it was a weird gambling of fate which had led him to making the decision of taking the life of Kim Taehyung,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter