Special: Ten-Chapter Milestone

Enigma ﴾¿﴿ Story Arc: Revelation ﴾?﴿
 

special: ten-chapter milestone 

—  author's note 

  Hi guys! If you don't want to read my random comments, you can skip ahead to the actual special down below :) 

   So before the *special episode*, I just want to say thank you for sticking here so far?? I didn't expect y'all to still be here (mostly because I'm trash at updating) but I'm glad you did :) 

    To be honest, I didn't expect myself to be able to write 10 chapters of the main story (34 overall if you count the random character teasers and other miscellaneous stuff) in just one year. Actually less than a year, but here we are. There's definitely going to be much more content and unfortunately the story is probably gonna stretch for more than 30 chapters (at current estimation). Mostly because I skip between organisations, so it's going to progress twice as slow, hehe. But yes! Thank you again for sticking around :) 

      A life update on me; I'm also going to be starting my last year of highschool next year (I don't know what you call it in America I don't live there), which means I'm going to be much more busier than usual because....university applications is apparently a thingTM. (Not that I've been actively updating during school months but...you know) And I have to get into university or else woe betide me and disgrace upon my family name! (Jk but you get the point) 

      Another further note is that I'll be doing more concept art (yay!) but this depends on my art skills because I've only recently started drawing digitally (case in point; the Hyunwook sketch). I'm also unfortunately not going to draw every single one of your characters, because I'm developing another cast in my head. 

      Which leads to the third note...

     Yep, I'm actually and seriously thinking of developing this into an actual book. An actual book that's going to be published and hopefully be sold somewhere (and if not I'll still have something to brag about because we write for bragging rights! Am I right? [no]). Of course I'm going to finish this applyfic, because the actual book slash series is going to be based on this one. But afterwards, well, I'm going to make major changes to mostly the cast, and there are some characters I'll revamp (I'm not sure about the whole process yet, but the cast will definitely change) 

       But all this publishing business is going to be in the relative future of course, because I still need to finish this one (*sobs*) At any rate, thanks again for sticking with me and let's proceed to the special episode, because you're probably tired of me rambling on and on...and on...and on.

        Another note: It was supposed to be more detailed but I got tired of it halfway through so here we are

An interview with Wonderland
—  CARDS HQ, Turkey  

   Today is a relatively normal day in CARDS HQ. The members of Wonderland are having a break, and it is currently 10am.

  [Lounge] 

    (Hyunwook and Daehyun are there, chattering aimlessly, just as Adrian entered the lounge.) 

    Hyunwook (amused): For once I'm not the latest person to enter any room in existence. 

    Adrian (annoyed): That's because someone decided to drug my hot chocolate yesterday! 

    Daehyun (bewildered): Hyunnie, did you - 

    (Hyunwook raised his arms in surrender, but he was clearly grinning) 

    Hyunwook: Well I didn't kill him, so does it really matter? (triumphant) All in all, a harmless but successful prank. 

     Daehyun (shaking his head in disbelief): You would've been in so much trouble if Adrian was allergic to whatever - whatever you put in his drink. 

     (Adrian sat down next to Daehyun) 

     Adrian (agitated): What if you killed me, sunbae-nim?! 

     Hyunwook (shrugging): It wouldn't; otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Besides, it would take more magic than that to kill a werewolf. 

     (Daehyun notices the envelope on the coffee table

      Daehyun: This is addressed to us. Look. (leans forward and let Hyunwook and Adrian read it) To General Jung Daehyun, Player Shin Hyunwook and Player Adrian Kim. 

      Hyunwook: Why is your name formatted like that, kid? (Adrian shrugs) 

      (Daehyun peels open the envelope carefully, and pulls out the sheet of parchment)  

      Daehyun (reading): Below are a series of questions to answer. These questions consists an interview to allow others to know you better....Who's this 'others'? 

      Hyunwook: Beats me. At any rate, let's start. 

      Adrian (miraculous): Are we just going to be talking to thin air? 

      (Hyunwook snatches the piece of paper from Daehyun) 

      Hyunwook: Nope, because I'm going to be asking the questions. Now...

  [Training rooms] 

       (Yongguk is practicing alone; Alexander enters and closes the door behind him.) 

       Alexander: Hardworking as always, I see.

       Yongguk (wipes sweat off his brow): And you? Aren't you supposed to be working? 

       Alexander: I may be a workaholic, but I'm sensible. (Yongguk rolls his eyes) Anyways, we got mail. 

       Yongguk: 'We'? 

       Alexander (exasperated): Yes, we. As in, the two of us. As in, the use of the plural first-person personal pronoun. As in - 

       Yongguk (interrupting): Right. Okay. Whatever. So? What's this letter about? 

       Alexander (frowns): I'm not sure; I haven't opened it yet. Wait, let me - 

        (In an instant, the seal on the letter was broken using the dagger clasped in Yongguk's hand without him touching it.

       Alexander (raises eyebrows): Classy. 

       Yongguk: You're welcome. 

       (Alexander gives a sigh, but nonetheless opened the envelope and extracted the parchment within.) 

       Alexander: Oh, apparently someone wants to interview us. 

       Yongguk: Who? 

       Alexander (shrugs): I'm not sure. Anyways, let's go down the list; we can take turns asking each other. 

[Clubes lounge] 

       (Helena is chatting with Nour, the barister in charge of brewing the coffee whose aroma filled the lounge) 

       Nour: Oh yes, aanisah Helena, a mail came for you the other day. 

      Helena (frowns slightly): Mail? that's strange. Anything official usually goes through the communication channels. 

       Nour: Indeed. However, it seems this time it is somewhat special. Would you like me to retrieve it? 

      Helena: By all means. 

      (Nour scutters off to fetch the envelope in question, while Helena breathes in the aroma of the coffee) 

     Nour: Here we are, aanisah.

    (Helena cuts the seal with a dagger, and unfolds the parchment) 

     Helena: Oh, apparently someone is interested in interviewing me.

     Nour (eyes widening and beams): But that is wonderful news! Is it not? 

     Helena (doubtful): I suppose so. 

     Nour: Permit me to do the honour of reading the questions, then. (Helena hands over the paper) Now...

[Saebin's room]

     (Saebin is aimlessly clicking around on the Internet, having nothing to do on her day off. An email alert pops up, and she clicks on it.) 

     Saebin (mumbling): I wonder if it's from gege...Oh! Interview questions? Hmm, I wonder what this is. Let's see...

     (The attachment is opened without even her questioning the possibility of it being a virus) 

     Saebin (reading): First question; what are your power(s) and weapons? 

[Lounge]

     Hyunwook (looks up from paper, amused): Well? 

     Daehyun: I suppose my powers would be something related to the Seelie, though I'm not sure what it is yet, because I haven't been able to properly train in that aspect. Normal Seelie powers would include healing and agricultural stuff, but it really depends. (shrugs) I don't even know what type of Seelie my ancestors were, so I can't tell. 

    Adrian (pondering): I don't think I have any aside from turning to a wolf...

    Hyunwook: No, you have something else. 

    Adrian: I do? 

    Hyunwook: Yup, annoying the heck out of me. 

    Adrian (protesting): Hey! 

    Daehyun (sighs): He's just teasing you, Adrian. (mumbling softly) I hope. 

    Hyunwook (glaring at Daehyun): I heard that. And for me, of course, my powers are freezing someone to hell and back, and Unseelie magic like illusions. Thanks to my father (mimics Draco Malfoy) I have an arsenal of powers at my disposal, but I haven't figured out most of it yet. (muses for a moment) It's always fun to threaten people though. 

    Daehyun (sighs): Okay. So what about your weapon? 

    Hyunwook (grins wickedly): Artemis. My bow that was formerly a treasure of the Wild Hunt, given to me by my dad. It wasn't called that originally, of course, but I decided to christen it after it became mine. It can transform into a bracelet - (He holds up his wrist, showing a silver bracelet dangling from it with a crescent moon charm) - making it extremely easy to carry around. Besides being a bow (He taps the bracelet, and was instantly holding a dark silver longbow) it can also transform into other types of long-distance shooting weapon. A rifle, for example. The best part is, I shoot targets using magic, so there's no need to carry arrows or bullets. 

    Adrian (frowns): So basically a magic machine-gun? 

    Hyunwook (huffs): That's the most terrible way to portray a magical object named after mythology, but to the uneducated, yes, that is a way to decimate it into nothingness. 

    Adrian: Can you speak English? 

    Hyunwook (pointedly ignores Adrian): Daehie's weapon though, now that's amazing. 

    Daehyun (momentarily taken aback): Oh, well, yeah, it's okay. I mean, it's not bad. 

    Adrian (eyes wide): 'Not bad'? Daehyun-hyung, your weapon is awesome! 

    Hyunwook: An Unseelie war scythe drawing power from the Otherworld (here he's referring to the world of the dead) and Wild Hunt, forged with adamant. (nodding approvingly) Even the materials used would give an agent a field day analysing the power of the materials used. 

    Adrian: Not to mention the cool powers your scythe has! It the soul out of the bad guys when you hit them with it, right? 

    Daehyun (sheepish): Yeah, I guess? 

    Hyunwook (snorts): Modest bastard. 

    Daehyun: Compared to you, even a peacock would be modest. (Hyunwook sits up, opening his mouth to protest, and Daehyun cuts in) I don't think you have a special weapon, Adrian, do you? 

    Adrian: Now that you mention it, I don't think I have anything...I mean, I carry a dagger with me, I guess, but because I usually fight as a wolf anyways, so...

[Training rooms]

    Yongguk: Powers? Well I'm going to start off with saying I don't have any except tolerating Alex's bull. 

    Alexander: Well isn't someone just cheery and wonderful today. As for my powers...(hesitating) 

    Yongguk (jumps in): You're one of our trump cards, aren't you? Then it's better to keep it a secret for now. 

    Alexander: Right. I was about to say that I work in the Medical Department, so I have pretty good knowledge of Underworld medicines and human medicines. But I guess your statement works too. As for weaponry, I don't carry any except my brain.  

    Yongguk (snorts): Next time we run out of weapons, let's just cut out Alex's brain and throw it at Gemini. 

    Alexander: Sure, that'd work. Unfortunately, you would be leaving the logistics and running of the team into Hyunwook or Helena's hands, and I'm not sure that would be a wise choice to make, as a leader. 

    Yongguk: True. But anything to get rid of you.

    Alexander (pointed glare): Are you really that desperate to be rid of me? 

    Yongguk (ignoring Alex): My primary weapons are blades. Anything with a sharp edge, I can kill someone. I've killed a man with a pen before, so really, anything works. 

    Alexander: This person sleeps with a knife under his pillow.

    Yongguk: I do NOT! And how do you even know that? 

    Alexander (poker face): I'm psychic, after all.

    Yongguk (deadpans): Sure. 

[Clubes Lounge]    

    Helena: Special powers? Hm, I don't have any. I'm human, after all. But I guess my training as a spy does enhance my stealth and ability to adapt and blend in to any situation. 

    Nour: I recall you undertook vigorous training when you first came, yes? It was rather a memorable time. I still remember you young and determined; so full of spirit too. Training until late despite the instructures having left. (smiles wistfully) 

    Helena (embarrased): I don't think anyone wants to hear about my shameful past. 

    Nour: Shameful past? But no! It was what forged the you of today. And thus why character backstory is always - 

    Helena (interrupting): At any rate! I suppose there's truth in what Nour said; I did gain a lot of my current abilities from past training. But I guess the instructors didn't really trust me that much, so I don't have a special weapon unlike the others. I use a general assortment of weapons, varying from guns to knives. 

[Saebin's room]

     Saebin: My powers? Hm...(pondering) I guess I can heal people using my own life force, but that's about it. I'm sort of the weak link in the team, oops. As for weaponry, I have a pair of throwing stars my gege gave me! (rummages around and produces throwing stars) I still need a lot of practice though, because I'm pretty bad at them, haha. (laughs sheepishly) 

[Lounge]

    Daehyun: Well, Hyunwook has a collection of weapons, so he can definitely lend you something. 

   Hyunwook: Hey! Since when do you speak on my behalf? 

    (Daehyun mouths 'be nice' to which Hyunwook glares at pointedly. This went unnoticed by Adrian.) 

    Daehyun: Anyways, let's move onto the next question; it's getting pretty late and we should start being productive. 

    Hyunwook (mumbling): A word that doesn't exist in my dictionary. 

    Daehyun: What is your favourite food? 

    Hyunwook: Desserts and Daehyun's hot chocolate. 

    Adrian: Hyunwook sunbae-nim drinks hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows, and somehow Daehyun hyung also puts in chocolate sprinkles. It's a wonder he's still so slim.

    Hyunwook (snorts): Says you kid, who drinks coke and eats all sorts of unhealthy stuff like Doritos. 

    Adrian: Well yeah, but I'm growing so it doesn't matter. You're missing the main point here though, my favourite food is pizza. Or at least, it was, back in Canada. Now I guess it's kind of changing to gimbap? 

    Hyunwook: If you want, I can make some for you.

    Adrian: No way, I'd get poisoned. 

    Daehyun (chuckles): Hyunnie's cooking is actually quite good. I'll make sure he doesn't slip anything into it if he ever makes it for you.

    Adrian: As long as Daehyun hyung is there, I'll definitely feel safe. (Hyunwook: Hey!) Come to think of it, hyung, I don't recall you ever having a favourite food? 

    Daehyun: Yeah well, because I try to eat little of it. (awkward chuckle) It's cheesecake; and working out to stay in shape is tiring, so I just refrain from eating too much of it.

    Hyunwook: The Japanese souffle cheesecake is quite healthy though, I heard.

    Daehyun: You sure about that, Hyunnie? 

    Hyunwook: It tastes lighter than the New York one, at any rate. 

[Training room] 

     Yongguk: Seafood. Stuff like sushi and sashimi. Yours is sweets and oranges, right? 

     Alexander (sighs, irritated): No, I hate sweets. You were right about the orange part, but I also dislike carrots. My favourite drink is camomile tea, but that's about it. As for the sweets part, you see me ordering desserts when I'm with Hyunwook because he likes them, not me. Please get your facts right. 

    Yongguk (ignoring): As for my favourite drink...I don't know, something to do with alcohol? 

    Alexander: Oh, so that was why you decided to work at a sushi bar. 

    (Realisation dawns on Yongguk and Alexander gives him a pointed glance, despite the fact that he was smiling) 

     Yongguk: Oh.

[Clubes Lounge] 

     Helena: Well, since I was sitting in front of Nour, it would be highly inappropriate to not say my favourite drink is his coffee. 

     Nour: Now, now, you cannot feel imperative to praise me, anisaah! Please, be truthful. 

     Helena: But I am telling the truth! Even Daehyun-ssi admitted that it was amazing. 

     Nour (shakes his head while smiling): You are too kind, anisaah. 

[Saebin's room]

     (Saebin grabs the taiyaki plushie off her bed and cuddles it as she moves onto the next question) 

      Saebin: Favourite food! My favourite question. I think this is pretty obvious. (hugs taiyaki plushie) Taiyaki, of course! Oh, I don't have a raspberry plushie...but yeah, that's my favourite food too. As for a drink...I don't know. Maybe raspberry smoothie? 

And with that the interview is over! Onto Gemini.

 

An interview with Gemini
—  disclosed location 

   For some unknown reason, everyone is for once, civilly gathered in the Gemini lounge. Chess enters the room. 

   (PS: Sitting arrangements: Seoah - Jaebin - Jineul - Sungjong - Celeste - Minwoo - Minkyung; Sungjong is the nearest to the door) 

     Jaebin: Remind me once again why we're here? 

     Chess: Someone wants to ask you questions. 

     Minwoo: What, a group interrogation?

     Minkyung: There's another name for it; it's called an interview. 

     Minwoo: Basically the same thing.

     Jaebin (stands, and yawns): Count me out. I have better things to do. 

     (As Jaebin walks towards the door, a flick of Chess' hand slams it shut) 

     Chess: Unfortunately, this is compulsory.

     Jaebin: Says who? 

     Chess: Says me. So please sit down and let us get this out of the way.  

     Jaebin: Since when do you order us around? 

     Chess (mild surprise): I always have been. Do you think I serve the whole lot of you? I answer only to His Majesty the King.

     Sungjung (mumbles): And even then, sometimes. 

    (Jaebin grinds his teeth, and his eyes flashed) 

    Celeste (yawns boredly): Oh please, it's too early for murder. Save the hassle, and sit down. If anything, should be the most annoyed here. See how I'm not complaining? 

   (Still smouldering, Jaebin sits down, but he continues to glower. Seoah pats his shoulder in a reassuring way.) 

   Celeste: Thank you. Now Chess, please? 

   (Chess retrieves a parchment scroll from mid-air and began reading; a cat enters the room and jumps onto Jineul's lap)

   Chess: Occupation? 

   Minwoo (incredously): Are we seriously going about this like a game of trivia? 

   Chess (glares at Minwoo): Perhaps you can come up with a better suggestion? 

   Minwoo: Heck yeah I can.  (snatches the parchment from Chess) 

   Minkyung (doubtfully): You sure you can do this? 

   Minwoo: I've watched hundreds of Ted-Talks on this, I'll be fine. Now, let's see...(clears throat) So welcome everyone! 

   Celeste (mumbling): This is a ing disaster. 

   (Minwoo was doing a self-introduction of Gemini of sorts that I would not repeat because no one wants to read him rambling) Minwoo:...Now, let's start with everyone's occupations! How about the King first? 

    Chess (blank-faced): His Majesty is a author of science fiction and has had numerous best-selling titles under his name. In Court (she's referring to Gemini), he is a weapon designer. Most of the armoury here is specially designed by His Majesty.

   (Minwoo sends a pointed glare at Chess.) 

   Chess: I am His Majesty's secretary. 

   (Sungjung nods absent-mindedly) 

   Minwoo: Alright...Well, what about the Queen? 

   Jineul: Combat instructor. 

   Minwoo: O...kay. What about your white self? 

   Jineul: Does that matter? 

   Chess: His Majesty works as a fashion designer and barista at day. 

   Jineul: Thank you for the reminder of my useless white self. 

   Minwoo: R-i-g-h-t. What about our other second-in-command (at this Jineul sends a death glare at him) our Knight, Minkyung? 

   Minkyung: About time someone realises I'm actually a second-in-command here. I'm a freelance healer by the way; white side me works as a surgeon. 

   Jaebin (mumbles): And a fricking famous one at that. 

   Minkyung (raises an eyebrow at Jaebin): Says you? 

   Jaebin: In terms of fame, I would think you stand equal to most of us, no? 

   Minkyung: I would say that you lot working in the entertainment industry would be more famous, but sure. 

   Jaebin: Sure. At any rate, to save Minwoo's interrogation process, I work as a weapons analyst. White side me is a writer. (yawns) Not as good as Sungjong, though. 

   (Sungjong sends a begrudging smile at him.) 

   Minkyung: Wait...so do you guys work together? In Court channels? 

   Jaebin (frowns): ...Sometimes? I think we did at the beginning. Not quite sure now. 

   Minwoo: Okay back on track! And Celeste is - 

   Jaebin: - my idol! 

   Celeste (good-naturedly): Jaebin, shut up. 

   Minwoo (annoyed): - a very famous actress in real life, and an Intelligence agent in Court. 

   Celeste: I'm also a military analyst, though no one really remembers. 

   Minkyung (sarcastically): Pity. 

   Minwoo: What about Seoah, then? 

   Seoah: Oh! Um...I'm a costume designer. Human resources in Court. 

   Minwoo: 'Human resources'...(obviously resisting a snort) 

   Celeste: Calm yourself Minwoo. 

   (Jaebin wraps a protective arm around Seoah while Minwoo composes himself under Celeste's sharp glare) 

    Minwoo (clearing his throat): My apologies. As for my glorious self, I am chief interrogator and information extractor in Gemini. My poor white self works as a photographer; rather distasteful. (when everyone ignores him) Shall we move on! 

   Celeste: We're just waiting for the interviewer. 

   Minwoo (bristles slightly): Well then! Next question, let's see...ooh, this is a loaded one. What do you think about your fellow Gemini agents? A thorough breakdown or a sentence each would suffice. 

   Celeste: Well, that's rather rude, isn't it? 

   Jaebin: I agree.

   Minkyung (huffs): I'll go first since you lot are dancing around the topic. Gemini may look like a mess from the outside, but it's our mess and unfortunately, sticking around together for seven years do make us like each other remotely. It's that kind of family that banters and messes around a lot. (pauses) Also, because I need to take care of your wounds, it gets more personal with me. So it up. 

   Celeste (chuckles): That's actually a pretty good description. It's like a family in the sense of a mafia, but we're not a mafia and neither an actual family. In a way, we do tolerate each other, even if someone might set off some unwanted fuses. 

  Jaebin: Seconded. 

  (Seoah nods somewhat nervously) 

  Minwoo: What about our King? What does he think? 

  Sungjong (has a pained expression like he ate something sour): You lot are terrible and a bunch of idiots. 

  Minkyung: Okay the King hates us. (waves dismissively) But what's new? 

  Celeste: I just think he might be bad at expressing himself in front of us. 

  Jaebin (sarcasatically): Sure that's what you think. 

  Minwoo (mumbling): This is getting out of hand. 

  Chess (to Minwoo): Do you finally have a taste of what my job consists of, Unseelie?   


Look all the characterisation is just all over the place because I realised stuffTM and I sort of killed myself writing this so if you don't like it, just remember; neither did I!

Hopefully the next Gemini chapter saves this because I don't 

Also yes this is ending abruptly because I'm so done