Teaser #2

Enigma ﴾¿﴿ Story Arc: Revelation ﴾?﴿
header

Here's teaser #2! This is the Gemini perspective of the beginning of everything, and a bit of elaboration on Chess just like introduction of Carroll before :) 

I also inserted the King at the end of this, mostly because what I originally had in mind was the King being there before anyone else and stuff (it'll be revealed afterwards ;) 

But yes, here's teaser #2! I'm really sorry I was inactive for a period of time; I was sitting for my public exams and I just finished, so I can go back to writing :) Please apply, guys!

the story

author's corner

disclosed area 

— unknown time 

It certainly wasn't the first time that she had came before this group of people, and certainly won't be the last time, but no matter how many times she came to this place, Chess still found herself fidgeting with her hands clasped behind her, swallowing as she stared straight ahead, trying to keep her face void of emotion.

"I disagree." A shrill voice echoed in the dim room. In fact, there was barely any light, save for the one shining on her; the Elders were seated on chairs that were certainly on some kind of elavated platform, because their voices came from above her head.

"This is for the sake of humankind; we don't have a choice." A second voice, a deep one this time. Chess mentally heaved a sigh; it wasn't the first time they argued, and she could see that it would become ugly. 

There was tense silence again. The Elders seemed to be discussing amongst themselves of their latest decision; something that involved waging war on the human and anti-Underworld organisation, C.A.R.D.S. Or at least, that was what she had figured out from the snatches of conversation they had allowed her.

Not that she herself hadn't formed an impression of C.A.R.D.S herself. Chess had lived for a long time, and through the many generations of Gemini and numerous amount of bloodshed and clashes between the two, she could sense the amount of hostility from what had called themselves the 'enemy' of Gemini. 

And now she had to put together a team again, for the sake of....well, for whatever the Elders decide would be worth the effort. Honestly, Chess hadn't thought that she had to do this again after such a short span of time; the last generation had lasted for only seven decades before they all perished, save for the King. She twisted her hands again, waiting for the verdict.

"The Concilo had made its choice." A slight murmur had spread in the room for a short period of time before it was silenced by the sound of the gavel being striked. The leader of the Concilo had called for silence, and silence it would be. "We would once more revive the Gemini team, in order to meet with the threat of the C.A.R.D.S organisation. The director of the organisation had sent us a letter, which holds connotations of threat of war. We will respond to this ultimatum with our own forces," Murmurs started breaking out; apparently the news of the letter hadn't reached the Concilo yet. Another bang of the gavel silenced them, and the leader continued. "And therefore, I now command the agent Chess to go forth and once more recruit the members to form this formidable team." 

The faery swallowed, and stepped forward. "I am honoured to recieve this mission." Despite the words on her lips, she felt a sense of dread in her heart which signalled weakness. Chess pushed it down, since she was in the presence of the Elders, but she could hear the voice in her heart; Not again. Not war again

A piece of paper came floating down towards her, and she plucked it from the air gingerly. It contained the names of the people that she would have to recruit, along with names for backup, just in case. A quick scan proved everything in order, and she folded it up, before slipping it into the pocket of her coat.

"We have high hopes for you. As always." The shrill voice came back, and Chess, holding her head high, nodded, before the light above her switched off, signalling her departure.

— Gemini headquarters, 3:00am

A small portal opened in the middle of the King's study, and a slender figure stepped out from it, heels landing on the wooden surface of the floor.

"You should've knocked." A curt voice answered Chess' appearance, and she looked up with emotionless eyes, to the figure lounging on the chair behind a huge desk.

"You should've expected me," She replied, equally curtly. There was no response, and the faery made her way to the front of the piece of furniture. "The Elders have made their decision." Silence. "I will be going now, then." 

A resigned sigh showed the King's feelings towards this matter, but there was otherwise nothing else said. However, just before she disappeared back into the swirling mass of dark storm in the portal, there was a single sentence that she heard before she would found herself on the streets of probably some obscene corner of the world.

"I await your return."