Exposed

Devil's Retribution

There was a brightness in Joshua’s vision as Jeonghan opened the door to the basement, “You can come out now.”

 

“Who was that?” Joshua questioned, following Jeonghan out of the basement, “Your boss?”

 

“...Yeah,” Jeonghan ran his fingers through his blond hair.

 

Joshua wanted to ask. Did he really kill a person when he was nine? Was he the same person he heard from the television in the hospital? Where were the two children from the accident? Why did Jeonghan become a murderer for a job? He wanted to ask, but he was afraid.

 

Joshua stepped closer to Jeonghan.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Joshua raised his hand to Jeonghan’s hair and ran his fingers through it. Although surprised that Jeonghan didn’t point his gun at him immediately, those thoughts were short lasting.

 

Jeonghan pulled away, “What was that for?” Jeonghan said with an edge in his voice.

 

“There was a piece of dust in your hair,” Joshua lied.

 

“Tch, I’m going out, don’t go upstairs.” Jeonghan said out of the blue and immediately left the house. Joshua was left alone, his hand still stuck in the air.

 

The moment Jeonghan heard the beep of the locked door, he felt his teeth biting down on his lower lip. What the hell was I thinking? Letting him get so close to me… If it had been anyone else, an enemy, I would’ve died right there.

 

Jeonghan thought of Joshua’s words, “There was a piece of dust in your hair.” And he exhaled sharply.

 

“Idiot…” Jeonghan walked towards his car, You can’t see the dust in my hair…

 

~

 

Jeonghan walked confidently into the only cafe he went to. Inside, waiting with smirks on their faces, were Mingyu and Wonwoo.

 

“Eyy, Jeonghan,” Mingyu gave a wave towards Jeonghan, “long time no see.”

 

“Screw off, Mingyu,” Jeonghan snarled as he sat down. At the counter was the same pink-haired Woozi, and this time, the tall and chic looking Seungcheol.

 

Seated next to Mingyu, of course, was Wonwoo. “Don’t be rude, Jeonghan.”

 

“I’d shoot you both if we didn’t work under the same employer,” Jeonghan growled, pulling his gun out of his holster and placing it on the table, just to prove it.

 

“Good thing we do,” Mingyu smirked, “ready to order?”

 

Jeonghan shrugged his shoulders, Mingyu taking that as a yes. “We’d like to order please.”

 

Instead of Woozi, Seungcheol made his way over to their table.

 

“Hey, Seungcheol, long time no see.” Mingyu did his signature wink that sent shivers down everyone’s spines besides Wonwoo.

 

“I saw you yesterday, Mingyu,” Seungcheol said with a deep tone, “I haven’t seen Jeonghan in over a month though.”

 

“I like to work alone, why would I be seeing you or Woozi if I don’t need to?” Jeonghan twirled his gun in his hands.

 

Mingyu butted in, “Seungcheol, can I have a strawberry smoothie? Wonwoo?”

 

“Black coffee.”

 

Seungcheol scribbled their orders down on a small notebook, “Anything for you, Jeonghan?”

 

After a moment of deep thought, Jeonghan replied, “Coffee, with milk.”

 

At those words, everyone turned to face Jeonghan, even Woozi from behind the counter. “Did you say coffee with milk? Have you finally gone insane, Jeonghan?”

 

“I’ve been taking your orders since ten years ago, you’ve never ordered anything besides black coffee.” Seungcheol blinked with amazement.


“What’s wrong with a little change?” Jeonghan disregarded their strong surprisement and continued to twirl his gun.

 

Mingyu and Wonwoo exchanged glances, Seungcheol and Woozi exchanged glances.

 

“Come on guys, this target is worth 15 million won, there’s no time to be dawdling.” Jeonghan bared his teeth.

 

“Yes, sir!” Mingyu said.

 

“I’ll get your orders right away.” Seungcheol took the menu’s from the table and made his way back to the counter.

 

“Let’s start.”

 

~

 

Jeonghan didn’t’ remember the last time he had been paid this amount of money with only three people on his team. With the way they divided their work, Jeonghan was likely to get 8-10 million won from this job. There had been that one job. The one job ten years ago where all 219 of his boss’s people came together to fight against another boss. That job had opened Jeonghan’s eyes even further. Out of the 219 people that had fought during that ‘war’, only 47 made it out alive. The other side had been devastated, leaving only the boss alive.

 

Jeonghan remembered it clear as day. He had held his gun at the head of the boss, ready to fire, but his own boss had stopped him. A rule within the underworld. A boss can never be killed unless by another boss. And for the first, and last time, Jeonghan watched as his own boss wielded a gun and fired.

 

“Why can’t I shoot him?” Jeonghan had inquired, eyes dull.

 

His boss had dropped his gun, “If you were to shoot him, all his men would’ve came for your head. No one will protect you, not in this world. Unless you become a boss and hold an amount of underlings, you can never kill a boss.”

 

“That’s a stupid rule…” Jeonghan muttered.

 

“Stupid, but valid. Besides, if a eleven year-old shot a boss, you’d never be able to leave this world… not that you ever could anyways.”

 

~

 

“He’s coming out now,” Mingyu whispered over his earpiece, “six bodyguards, likely all armed.”

 

It was 8:00PM and the sun had just set.

 

“This is going to be rough,” Wonwoo whispered.

 

Jeonghan breathed silently, “When I throw the bomb, we all head out, hold off as long as you can, retreat the moment I kill him. We’ll lose the guards later.”

 

There was a moment of silence - then a thunk as Jeonghan’s smoke bomb landed on the floor in front of the guards.

 

“What-”

 

Jeonghan shot out of the bushes the moment smoke filled the area. He didn’t need to see, he could feel, smell, hear. Just like Joshua. His gun gripped tightly in his hand, Jeonghan dashed through the smoke and made his way to the target.

 

Within earshot, he could yells and shouting, along with the grunts of Mingyu and Wonwoo. I’ve got to be quick.

 

“Agh!” Jeonghan felt the tissue on his side rip as a stray bullet grazed him. “Tch,” Jeonghan lifted his gun. He closed his eyes. From the direction of the bullet and the distance, Jeonghan fired. He heard the thump of a body falling to the ground and the clatter of the gun that had been fired.

 

“Ngh…. let’s go!” Jeonghan yelled out to signal Mingyu and Wonwoo.

 

Jeonghan held onto his side. It wasn’t a grave wound, but blood was beginning to soak into his shirt.

 

“, are you okay, Jeonghan?” Wonwoo was next to him now, Mingyu a few meters ahead of them already.

 

“Hurry and get to the car, they’re coming after us.” Jeonghan bit his lip and turned, Mingyu and Wonwoo had only been able to knock out three of the guards.

 

Pain in the . Jeonghan held up his gun and fired. Luckily, the guards were bad shots and he fired. One bullet, two bullets, three-

 

Jeonghan hesitated, the last guard had light brown hair that tucked into his eyes. He looked like…

 

“Jeonghan!”

 

There was the bang of a bullet and Jeonghan felt his right leg buckle. Jeonghan fell to the floor.

 

“!” Wonwoo grunted and pulled Jeonghan’s arm over his shoulder. “Mingyu!”

 

“Ngh…” Jeonghan used his other hand to hold his side, limping with his left leg towards the car.

 

Mingyu appeared from the car and began shooting in front of the guard. These were the moments he hated the most. Not being able to kill, even when his friends were about to get hurt. He hated it.

 

“Here, Jeonghan,” Wonwoo opened the car door and helped Jeonghan into the back seat. “Mingyu, let’s go!” Wonwoo yelled at the boy and got into the back seat with Jeonghan.

 

“Tch,” Mingyu fired one last bullet at the ground and ducked back into the car. The engine already on, Mingyu slammed on the back pedal and they quickly lost the last guard. Soon they were on the highway, Mingyu going as fast as the law allowed. “, how is he, Wonwoo?” Mingyu looked at his rear mirror.

 

Jeonghan was breathing heavily, both hands holding tightly to his side. Wonwoo was holding onto the wound on Jeonghan’s leg. “The bullet went clean through, so we should be safe, but we need to take him home quickly.”

 

“Tch,” Mingyu gritted his teeth and pushed down harder on the pedal.

 

Within twenty minutes, they had finally reached Jeonghan’s house. Mingyu turned off the car and exited. Wonwoo had also left the car and made his way around to Jeonghan’s side. “Come on, Jeonghan,”

Still breathing heavily, Jeonghan allowed himself to be helped by Wonwoo. “Tsk, close the door, Mingyu,”

 

The three made their way to the door. Mingyu and Wonwoo had never been this close to Jeonghan’s house. At the door, there was a keypad.

 

“, Jeonghan what’s your password?” Mingyu looked at Jeonghan.

 

Jeonghan shook his head, unwilling to tell them the password.

 

“Jeonghan, we don’t have time to be dawdling! Just tell us the password!” Mingyu raised his voice.

 

The blond blinked slowly, thinking, “...1004…” Jeonghan mumbled.

 

Mingyu punched in the number and there was beep as the door unlocked. Swiftly, he threw open the door.

 

~

 

Joshua heard the beep sound and he stood up from the couch. “You’re home-”

 

Instead of singular footsteps, Joshua heard two pairs, and another pair dragging on the floor. The two pairs, their feet were too heavy on the floor, it’s not Jeonghan.

 

“Who are you…” Joshua frowned, facing the people in the doorway. “What have you done to Jeonghan?” Joshua’s mind raced, the pair of feet dragging on the floor. He’s being carried.

 

“, who’s this, Jeonghan? I thought you lived alone!” A stranger spoke loudly.

 

“He does, at least, he’s supposed to be living alone.” Another voice spoke.

 

“What’s wrong with Jeonghan! What have you done to him!” Joshua raised his voice. He couldn’t see Jeonghan, he couldn’t see what was wrong with him. He couldn’t see.

 

“Shua.... Joshua… go downstairs.”

 

Jeonghan! It was his voice, it was faint, ragged. He’s hurt…

 

“Go downstairs…” Jeonghan repeated, this time, letting out a small cough.

 

“, we got to treat him first-”

 

“I’m not going…” Joshua mumbled, “I’m not going!” Joshua opened his eyes, eyes that he hadn’t bothered to open in many years. His eyes were dull, with a tint of silver, and they stared into nothing. “Give him to me!”


A/N: Hey guys! Hope you liked this chapter! Hohoho, how do you like that Joshua's identity is revealed to Meanie?? A lot of you were saying that Jack is Joshua, but I haven't said it explicitly, so you don't know yet ^^ I post these chapters on Saturdays, and Wednesdays  usually~ Thanks for all the love!

Shoutout fo seubseulham for upvoting! thanks for the love