Stormy Night

Devil's Retribution

 

 

“P-pleaseーlet me live! What do you want? Money? I can pay youーname your price!” The man that laid distraught in front of Jeonghan couldn’t seem any more amusing to the blond haired boy. Begging with his life, clinging so desperately to life- Jeonghan was ecstatic.

 

Jeonghan cocked his gun, “You disgust me.” Jeonghan pulled the trigger. Blood splattered onto the floor and onto Jeonghan’s face. The man’s blood felt warm - it was blood that had been beating in a body moments ago.

 

Jeonghan’s pocket vibrated - his boss was calling him. “What do you want?” Jeonghan answered icily, tucking his gun into his holster.

 

“Did you do the job?” A husky voice answered Jeonghan.

 

Smirking ever so slightly, Jeonghan looked down at the man again - eyes bulged, a hole in the middle of his head, blood spilling out onto the pavement. “Would you like a picture?” Jeonghan withdrew the phone from his ear and snapped a picture of the corpse. “Like it?”

 

“That was not necessary, Jeonghan,” The man’s voice was unwavering, completely unmoved by the picture of a mangled corpse. “Leave the body there, the other men will take care of him.”

 

“Don’t forget to pay me this time, bastard.” Jeonghan hung up, leaving no space for his boss to answer him. Before leaving the secluded area, Jeonghan looked back at the corpse once more. That night had been the first Jeonghan had ever met the man. Jeonghan knew nothing of him, yet almost instantly, he had become that man’s murderer.

 

That was the life that Jeonghan lived.

 

The life of a devil.

 

~

 

Jeonghan stayed in the shower extra long that night. Usually, he was careful to not get blood on himself during a job, however, he had been particularly agitated that evening. The blood smelled, it reeked. No matter how hard he scrubbed, he could not rid himself of the stench.

 

The boy dried himself with a white towel,  his body adorned with scars and bruises. His face was young, yet his eyes withheld nightmares. He had long lost his innocence, and soon after, he had lost his compassion and warmth. He had sold his soul to the devil many years ago.

 

Jeonghan dressed himself, leaving his blond hair damp and unstyled. Alone, Jeonghan made himself a cup of coffee and sat down in his living room. His house was fairly new, equipped with many of the regular facilities; his clothing - regular if not slightly expensive. These luxuries were all things Jeonghan had bought with the money from his job. His job of killing.

 

Even without the windows, Jeonghan could hear the loud clapping of rain and thunder. It was 2:00AM.

 

Jeonghan downed his steaming coffee, and tossed the cup into the sink. Maybe tonight, he had planned to attempt to sleep.

 

Just as Jeonghan was making his way to the bedroom, he heard a knock amidst the rain. His hand immediately flew to the gun in his holster.

 

Who… Jeonghan’s boss never visited without warning, even the other underlings were smart enough to not come uninvited to Jeonghan’s home. It didn't make sense for any deliveries to come at two in the morning either. An enemy?

 

There was another knock at the door. The person wasn't leaving. Jeonghan made his way to his front door, discreetly lifting his gun from its holster.

 

Jeonghan threw his door open, a single click and he had his gun pointed at the head of the person outside. The rain and thunder were louder than Jeonghan could've imagined.

 

Immediately, Jeonghan found it strange that the stranger at the door did not react to the gun pointed at their head. The stranger was around the same height as Jeonghan. His light brown hair was soaked through along with his clothes.

 

“Who are you?” Jeonghan's hand did not waver, and he bared his teeth.

 

It was at that moment that Jeonghan realised - the boy's eyes were closed. They did not look at Jeonghan, he was calm.

 

“My name is Joshua… may I come in?” The boy spoke loudly over the sound of rain.

 

Jeonghan couldn't help but smirk, “Come in? Who the do you think you are? Do you not realise you have a gun pointed at your head?” Jeonghan stepped forward so that the end of his gun touched Joshua's head.

 

It was then that the boy showed any signs of emotion. With his eyebrows furrowed, he spoke, “Why do you have a gun? Are you going to shoot me?”

 

At the very question, Jeonghan was taken aback. Who the hell was this boy? Did he not fear death?

 

Jeonghan's grip tightened on his gun, “I mightーare you afraid?”

 

The young boy still standing in the doorway answered after moments of silence, “No. I’m not afraid.”

 

This irked Jeonghan even more, this boy showing up in the middle of the night, not afraid of him at all. “Are you not afraid of death?” Jeonghan questioned.

 

“I have nowhere else to go. If you are going to kill me, get it over with.”

 

Joshua’s answer intrigued Jeonghan. “Why my house? You could easily find another house to shelter in. Why mine?”

 

“God led me here. I will not leave.”

 

Jeonghan let out a chuckle, “God? There’s no such thing in this wretched world.” Jeonghan cocked his gun, his finger resting on the trigger, “Do you think I’m joking right now? I really will shoot you.”

 

To his surprise, Joshua did not flinch at the impending danger, “Shoot then. If that’s what you truly desire.”

 

At that point, Jeonghan felt so agitated that he actually felt like pulling the trigger on the boy in the doorway. He sighed, “You may come in, but do not make yourself at home.” Jeonghan tucked his gun back into his holster, “Lock the door behind you.”

 

~

 

“Do you live here alone?” Joshua questioned, his fingers trailed against the walls of Jeonghan’s house.

 

Jeonghan sighed, throwing a towel at Joshua, “Do I seem like the person to live with anyone?” He watched as the towel hit the boy and fell to the ground. “Oi, are you really blind?”

 

Joshua knelt down and picked up the towel. “Thank you, and yes, I’ve been blind since birth. I can see some colours though.”

 

“How are you blind if you can see colours?” Jeonghan made an annoyed sound, pouring himself yet another cup of coffee.

 

“Some blind people can see colours, some can’t.” Joshua answered as he dried his brown hair.

 

“Then, what can you see?” Jeonghan surprised himself with his curiousity.

 

Joshua walked towards Jeonghan’s voice, as he got closer, his hands reached towards Jeonghan’s face.

 

Another click sounded in the room and Joshua felt a gun pointed at his head. “What are you trying to do?”

 

The boy ignored the gun and brought his hand to Jeonghan’s hair, “I can see your hair. It’s bright. Blond? Did you dye it?”

 

Jeonghan gritted his teeth. Who was this person? Never in his life had he allowed another person to touch him, this boy was no exception.

 

“Who are you?” Jeonghan questioned, backing away so that Joshua hands no longer touched him. “What do you want from me? Why did you come to my house? Why are you not afraid? Why?”

 

Despite Jeonghan’s rising voice, despite the gun pointed at his head, Joshua smiled. A smile that did not belong in Jeonghan’s home, the devil’s home. “I came because God told me to. That’s my only reason.”

 

At that moment, Jeonghan wondered - was this his punishment? Had God sent an angel to the devil’s home for punishment? With his gun pointed at the angel, Jeonghan thought, was this the beginning of his end?


A/N: My first official JiHan fic on this acc?? Like what???? Gosh, I hope you guys enjoy this? Lol let me know what you think of it xD