Chapter 11

Chasing Xiumin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hyung, you’ve got to stop this, please!”

The older man chuckled, humorless, not setting down the glass in his hand. “Leave it alone, would you? I’m fine.”

“You’re not fine!” Little Boss sat down with a huff. “You can’t just keep drinking yourself into oblivion every time you think of the past, you know? Nobody’s liver is invincible.”

“I said, leave it alone.” Big Boss’ eyes sharpened and his voice dropped. “I’m managing things just fine. Don’t meddle with things you don’t understand, kid.”

Eyes flashing, the younger male stood and snatched the bottle of alcohol off the desk. “I’m not a kid, so don’t treat me like one. I’m going to flush all your alcohol down the toilet if you don’t stop!”

Big Boss snorted. “You do that and I’ll tell Magnolia to take you back.”

“You wouldn’t!”

“I would, and I will if I need to.”

“You don’t know what you’re saying, hyung. You’re drunk, that’s it.” The boy’s voice shook almost imperceptibly, and his fists clenched around the bottle. “I know you wouldn’t do that to me. I built up Jade Dragon with you! I’m just as much a part of this as you are!”

A bitter smile grew on Big Boss’ lips. “Think what you want. But if you want a word of advice, nothing in the world of gangs is for sure. Loyalty’s nothing but a fairy tale.”

“Just how much did you drink to be saying crap like this? You of all people, hyung! You’ve always told me that brotherhood is the only thing that can be trusted!”

“And what makes you think what we have is brotherhood?” Big Boss sneered into his drink, handsome face twisting. “We’ve known each other for less than a year.”

Little Boss recoiled. “You’re… you’re just drunk. You’re a nasty son of a when you’re drunk, you know that?"

“Yeah? Then get out and let me be drunk. You know I hate drinking with company anyway.”

Not moving for a few seconds, Little Boss let out a disbelieving snort and set down the bottle of alcohol in front of the other man with a thud.

“Here. Since you’re so intent on ruining yourself over phantom memories, you might as well go all the way. And while you’re at it, try not to vomit on the expensive rug, please. I bought it with our hard-earned money.”

With a crooked smirk, Big Boss raised his glass. “Will do, boss man.”

Little Boss scoffed and stormed out of the room.

---

Sitting in the booth of a cozy cafe not far from HomePlus, Lay raised his mug. “Cheers!” The steaming contents of the mug sloshed around, nearly splashing over the side.

Yoojung stared at him, blank. “You… you want a toast to losing your job?”

“I can’t really be too upset about it. I thought I was going to get fired two days ago, so I suppose making it this long is pretty good, considering my track record.” Lay shrugged, mug still up in the air.

“Oh.”

This guy is really weird. Not necessarily in a bad way, but he’s weird, Yoojung decided. Either way though, that doesn't change the fact that I don't want to be here.

At least the hot chocolate looked pretty good. Lay had chosen a cozy little cafe Yoojung had never been to before, and she had to admit it was nice enjoying a mug of hot chocolate in a real cafe instead of drinking it alone in a to-go cup in her apartment, as she usually did. I might have to do a hot chocolate mukbang some time, she mused, her lips and staring at the whipped cream topping, maybe rank the best hot chocolate places in the city. I think my viewers would enjoy that.

Lay cleared his throat. “You know, my arm’s getting kind of tired. Cheers me?”

“Oh!”

Off in your own world again, Im Yoojung. Flustered, she flushed and hurried to grab her mug. In her rush, her hand caught the edge of the mug and knocked it over, sending steaming hot chocolate gushing over the table and into Lay’s lap. “Oh, God! I’m so sorry!”

Standing, she flailed for a napkin and held it out to him, cheeks rapidly reddening from the stares of the other customers. Why am I like this, why am I like this, God, why am I -

“It’s all right, don’t worry about it.” Lay smiled, showing his dimples, and reached across the table to pluck the napkin out of her hand. “It’s probably my fault, anyway. I think my clumsiness is contagious. I - oh no!”

Brushed by his elbow as he grabbed the napkin, the second mug of hot chocolate tipped over with a crash, shattering into shards of ceramic and spilling everywhere. Steaming faintly, their table dripped hot chocolate and melting marshmallow goo. The whole cafe turned to stare, and Yoojung wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

Today is just not my day. All I wanted was a pickled radish, and I didn’t get it. Then I was just starting to look forward to some hot chocolate, even if I had to talk to some random guy to get it, and I didn’t get that either. And wow, I'm turning into such a whiny brat, but I can't even stop myself and I hate myself even more for that, and -

While Yoojung was mentally outlining all the reasons why today was the worst day ever, Lay had the audacity to throw his head back and laugh. Taken aback, she stared at him.

“I told you, didn’t I?” He rubbed tears from his eyes, chuckles still bursting out sporadically. “I just can’t control my hands when I get nervous.”

A barista stopped next to their table, eyeing them both strangely as Yoojung continued to look mortified and Lay continued to be tickled. “Would you like a napkin, sir?”

“Ah, sure, thank you.” Accepting the napkin, he mopped at his sullied shirt. “Now would you look at that, I’m still wearing my HomePlus vest! I don’t think my manager’s going to like that hot chocolate stain very much when I return it tonight. At least I can't get fired twice.” He chuckled again.

How on Earth does he find that funny? Everyone's staring!

Indeed, the other customers’ gazes were not leaving their table. It made her itch, knowing there were people watching her, like their stares were bugs crawling over her skin. It didn’t help that she wasn’t exactly comfortable with the only person she knew here, either.

Can they just stop looking over here? There’s nothing to see!

“Hey, don’t worry, we’ll get another round of hot chocolate,” Lay said, misunderstanding her panicky expression. “I’ll pay, okay?” He sent her an encouraging smile. She squirmed.

“I’m sorry, but I - I can’t do this.” Turning, Yoojung speed-walked away from the table.

“Wait! Bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter