Rough Tides of Life

Reminisce

 

 

Author's Note:

I wanted to do this as a one shot, but realised it was getting a bit too lengthy. I'm not sure how many more parts it will last, probably about 2-3 more? I haven't exactly proof read. There are so many things I want to include in here. well i guess I have to re organize my thoughts. Please leave comments, I would very much like to know your comments. This is half fiction, of course characters and details are all fiction, but situations are real life therefore I am not able to ask people around me to proof read. I'm just putting it into a fanfic so I can try to hasten up my healing process. Please do me a favor and tell me how you think it is??? *puppy eyes* 

 

 

 

No one's POV (Present)

Looking out of her windshield, Tiffany muttered a curse under her breath. The heavy traffic was definitely something she doesn’t need at this moment. For almost a year she had been filling her schedules up to the brim so that she does not have excess time to herself, to overthink. She had given up her dreams of, opening a café and leisurely brewing cups of coffee, and took over the position of CEO in her father’s company. Although she was adept at the job, it was something that she did not enjoy doing. She did not have a choice though, her father falling ill and becoming weak as his heart condition deteriorates.  

 

She used to be a lively, bubbly girl who is very insistent of her own views and dreams until life decides to give her all the lemons she did not expect. Building up her walls with a cold persona that doesn’t show any emotions allows her to deal with business partners and clinch deals, especially when she was often looked down upon by men because of her gender and early age. She can finally see the fruits of her hard work as people started recognising her ability, respecting her being so successful. The great wall she has built has not only helped her with her career, but it has also protected her heart as she never wants to let herself get hurt again.

 

Tiffany looked out of her car window while listening to the rain, feeling mentally exhausted but she knows better than to give herself a vacation, which would probably end up with her in tears every night. She sighed as flashbacks started creeping into her mind.

 

Tiffany's POV (Flashback)

I was playing with my own fingers, nervous about meeting her since it has been a while. I was determined to make my confession today and I’m glad she finally decided to meet me. I saw her walking towards me and I felt my heartbeat increase like it normally does when I see her. She sat down next to me and said, “You wanna die? Asking me to meet under the sun?”

 

I knew she didn’t like to be under the sun. “Sorry, the seats at the shelters are all occupied,” I said as I passed her favorite drink to her. I looked down at her hand, seeing the damage of her traffic accident, which is the cause that she stopped meeting me and texted me a lot less. We started chatting about insignificant stuff until I could not take it anymore.

 

“Taeyeon…” I started and finally had the courage to look at her in the eye.  She looked back at me and I took the chance to observe the features I came to love, but snapped out of it because I knew I had to say it.

 

“I cheated on you…” I took a deep breath and gauged her reactions before continuing, “I made out with a guy yesterday. I feel guilty that’s why i insisted on meeting you today to confess.”

 

I held my breath as I waited for her response. “Is it your ex that you met up with yesterday?” she asked. I nodded and there was a pause before she continued, “So what did you guys do that led to that situation?”

 

“I just thought I wanted to meet him up for a proper closure since we didn’t have any. I texted you to ask you but you didn’t reply. So it ended up with us talking about the past and we got a bit emotional and things went out of line. But all we did was just kissing.” “Okay…” she replied.

 

There was a moment of awkward silence before Taeyeon changed the topic to irrelevant things again, only randomly asking insignificant questions about yesterday like whether I finally got the closure I wanted. Finally after a while she said she got to go and just left. My heart broke watching her back as she leave, hoping that she will take some time to digest before talking to me about it.

 

A few days later, I was frustrated that she was not replying my messages at all despite my constant plea to talk to me about things and couldn’t take it anymore before texting her that we cannot continue this way any longer, followed by a reply of “Fine, let’s break up”, and constant tears for the following months despite being in a rough patch of adapting to her new job.

 

No one's POV (Present)

Tiffany snapped out of her thoughts when her phone rang, indicating that a message just came in. She let out another sigh before she picked up her phone, groaning in annoyance seeing that it was a text from her boyfriend, Jared, asking her if she has reached her office and wished her a good morning. Reading the message just reminded her of how he screwed up by asking her out on a date without planning beforehand, pissing her off. Seeing that she was still going to be stuck in the traffic for a while, she gave a vague reply before throwing her phone on the passenger seat and massaging her head. She only got together with Jared because she thought that getting into a relationship can let her be more emotionally settled after that heart shattering break up with Taeyeon since she was okay with the man. What she didn’t expect was getting into a relationship without emotional fluctuations can be very annoying as she could not tolerate his flaws.

 

Jared was a nice man, they met because he was the son of her father’s friend and also a CEO of a business partner. However, she was his first girlfriend, being a nerd and all. He doesn’t know how to let a girl feel special and it is frustrating hearing the teases from her friends about him when all she feels is irritation. Remembering how his attitude was bad towards her employee during a joint project meeting actually irked her even more and Tiffany was starting to doubt whether she understood his personality or not.

 

In any case, personally or work wise, Tiffany wasn’t happy. At all.