CHAPTER 3

BEHIND THIS MASK

 

I’m going to be late! It’s the first day of class and I’m going to be late for the orientation!

 

Mireu was running late for her first day at the university. She had been so excited the night before that she wasn’t able to sleep early. Now, she was in a hurry to reach the university’s auditorium.

She was running fast that she didn’t notice someone approaching. She bumped into a guy.

“Omo! I’m sorry. I’m in a hurry. I have to go now!” she apologized and continued to run. She barely missed the opening remarks. She found an empty seat and sat there, still catching her breath.

 

“Welcome to one of Korea’s most prestigious school, Seoul University. It is a pleasure to welcome you, both the old and new students.” The Head Master started his speech. The orientation went on for hours and finally ended with the USC President’s closing remarks.

She faced the stage once the next speaker was called and was surprised to see the guy he bumped into just hours ago. He had dark spiked hair, with milky white complexion, and very deep looking set of eyes. He started talking with a very sensuous voice that sent shivers down her spine.

“As one of the university’s traditions, we will be holding the Freshmen Welcoming Ceremony tonight. I hope that the freshmen students will be able to join in the activity prepared for them. Information about the activity is posted by the hallway and flyers will be given. Students of the higher years are welcome to join in the activity as well.”

“That’s odd. I thought, sunbaes are not allowed to join the Welcoming Ceremony?” a guy sitting beside Mireu asked. She knew about the policy as well and was wondering what was the reason behind. The crowd began to whisper in confusion as well.

 

Seungho was smiling when he answered the guy’s question. He expected this much from the students. This was one of the changes that he had decided on. His father was against it at first, but approved after their conversation.

“You want the higher year students to join in the Freshmen Welcome Party? Why? This cannot be!” Mr. Yang has been shocked by Seungho’s sudden decision. It was tradition that only freshmen students were to join the activity.

“You see dad, the freshmen students should also be aware of the presence of the higher year students. They need to at least be familiar with their sunbaes and be able to get comfortable around them.”

“This was the reason behind the sudden change of plans. As the current USC president, I want the hoobaes and sunbaes to be comfortable with each other.”

The students began to whisper again and the room was filled with different reaction and opinions. The guy sitting beside Mireu who asked the question introduced himself as Junhyung. They left the auditorium together after the orientation was over.

 

“Junhyungie~. Wait for me!” A girl of about the same age came rushing towards them. She has big rounded eyes, thin pink lips and a very milky complexion.

“Seungie, I didn’t know you were still here. I thought you’d already gone with Gikwang.” By the looks of it, there was something between Junhyung and the “Seungie” girl.

“Well, she went ahead because she wanted to visit Dongwoon at the infirmary. He wasn’t feeling well this morning so he decided to rest there.”

“I hope it’s nothing serious. By the way, Seungie, this is Mireu. She is also a Music student. She’s our hoobae. Mireu, this is Hyunseung, my girlfriend.”

“Anyeong. It’s nice to meet you Mireu.” Hyunseung politely shook hands with her.

She seems like a very nice girl. She really looks good with Junhyung. In contrast with her, he has fair skin and scary looking eyes. They really complement each other.

 

Hyunseung asked Mireu if she wanted to join them for lunch. She politely refused and excused herself. She decided to walk around the school and look at the information about the party that night.

 

She was looking at the walls when she suddenly bumped into someone again. This time, she didn’t fall. She was caught by the person at her waist and held on firmly. When she looked at the person, she saw a very familiar face.