Title and What Makes a Good One

How to Actually Write Better
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After the intense dissing and bashing of the bad titles from the previous chapter, we will now be discussing about the good titles.

As I stated in the previous chapter, titles don’t have a specific set of guidelines that they follow. However, while there is no formula, there are unspoken rules that even the readers unconsciously follow. And here are most of them:

Characteristics

What makes a good title? From the list given on the previous chapter, the first good title is:

#2 Altair: Collection of Royal Battles

This is actually a title taken from one of my favourite manga/anime: Shoukoku no Altair. It is set in the Ottoman Empire.

Take note of how this title follows the mechanics perfectly. Perfect use of capitalization and the use of spaces and the one, single punctuation: the colon.

This completes the M-U-R-E checklist. The word Altair gives a hint of mystery. It’s not really a generic word found in the English dictionary but it is contextual to the plot.

While the second part (the thought that comes after the colon) again relates to the plot and pumps up the readers excited for some action. It is also unique at none other form of entertainment had taken this title before. And lastly, it is eye-catching given by the mysteriousness of the first word in the title.

From this, we can deduce that it’s going to be a lot of wars and battles and a lot of royal blood being shed. But that’s all we can deduce. One can’t even figure out what the plot is all about without searching for the world Altair. It gives little information but that information is sufficient enough to lure readers in.

#3 Howl’s Moving Castle

This is again a title I took from an anime movie/book of the same name.

This suffices all conditions as the first example. Furthermore, it reveals

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter