English Grammar

How to Actually Write Better
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This specifically caters to the writers who are using the English language as a medium to convey their story. While I am aware that not all of us here have perfect English grammar, considering that it is not our native language, it wouldn't hurt to master the language we are using in order to express our thoughts better, right?

While I, myself, am not an English speaker, I think I'm pretty good when it comes to English grammar, after all, it is my second language and I have embraced it like it is my home tongue. Aside from that, I also learned it in school since I was in kindergarten.

However, in this chapter, I won't be going over every single English grammar rule there is. It is simply impossible as there are way too many. But, I will dedicate these chapters to the easiest ones that people in AFF seem to always butcher up.

Words that sound the same but mean different things – While I’m pretty sure there are memes and graphs showing the differences of words that sound the same but have different meanings, here are some of the most common words I find loitering around in AFF.

Non-native English speakers especially those of Southeast Asian origin tend to rely on what we hear and then spell out the word based on our hearing. I mean, this is normally how people learn a language and how we, as kids, learned how to speak – through the ear. My advice though, is than whenever you are unsure, it is always safe to Google the use of the word in order to convey your thoughts properly and make your sentence cohesive.

Examples:

1A. After the party, they’re exhausted and passed out on the couch.
       (They’re is a contraction of they are.)
1B. The outing was their plan. It was a bad idea, after all.
       (Their is a pronoun showing ownership.)

2A. It’s a lovely day today, don’t you think?
       (It’s is a contraction of it is.)
2B. I just bought a new cellphone. Its function confuses me.
       (Its is a pronoun showing ownership.)

Verb tenses – this one falls under the grammar part of this whole program. Verbs are the most common parts of a sentences. They are action words – words that show action, words that say that something has been done. And contrary to popular belief, you can’t just randomly put verbs in different tenses in a paragraph – that’s a grievous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter