Tongue-Tied

Are you down for the ride? (TaeNy One-shot Collection)

Summary: Finally, they meet.

Category: Fluff


Tiffany had no control of her fidgeting hands as she walked towards the café. She was nervous, to say the least. Her heart pounded as she quickly scanned the crowded room through the glass doors, looking for a girl wearing a pale blue shirt amongst the customers.
 

Her breath seized in when dark brown orbs met hers, as if the other person was also looking for her. And maybe she was—most likely she was—because that person was wearing a pale blue shirt. Taeyeon.
 

It was so weird. So weird to see Taeyeon in the flesh. For real. When Tiffany’s only source of information and connection to the girl for the past two years was the internet.
 

She could still run away. Taeyeon wouldn’t be able to catch up to her; she’d been the ear the former ranted to about her lack of stamina for the past years. She could still run…
 

…And then what?
 

They had a chance to finally meet each other, and Tiffany knew she shouldn’t let it go to waste.
 

Finally making up her mind, Tiffany walked decisively into the café, but slowed down when she saw Taeyeon watching her as she walked right up to her table. Taeyeon’s face was unreadable, but Tiffany could see her legs fidgeting underneath the table. With this observation, Tiffany felt a little relieved knowing that she wasn’t the only one who was nervous.
 

Coming up to the table, Tiffany stood there. Taeyeon remained seated.
 

Silence. So much awkward silence.
 

“Hey—“
 

“Uhh—“
 

They both stopped short as they said things at the same time. Silence engulfed them once again, making the mundane noise at the coffee shop seem so far away.
 

“You go.”
 

“No, you go.”
 

Tiffany sighed. They were getting nowhere. She promptly pulled out the chair across Taeyeon and sat down. “Hi.”
 

“…Hi.” Taeyeon seemed to have a hard time meeting her eyes now. With this, Tiffany questioned the past two years. Everything had been so comfortable; there was instant chemistry the first time they began chatting with each other, when they had gushed over their favorite idols and fanfictions.
 

Meeting someone online and in real life was definitely different.
 

“Don’t go.”
 

Tiffany looked up in surprise at Taeyeon’s meek but strong words.
 

“Don’t…don’t leave. Please. I’ll…please.”
 

Tiffany felt her heart soften. “Hey…I won’t, okay? But…relax. You’re making me a hundred times more nervous.”
 

“I’m sorry.”
 

“No, don’t be. Let’s start slow, okay? Hmm…let’s pretend we don’t know each other.”
 

“What, like a blind date?”
 

Tiffany watched the corner of Taeyeon’s mouth lift in slight amusement, and she felt hope blossom. Okay. Okay. She can do this. They can do this.
 

“Maybe? Or like…a friendly getting-to-know-you kind of coffee date.” Tiffany blinked in surprise as Taeyeon gave a sharp shake of her head. ”…No?”
 

“I…I mean…that’s fine, but…just…friendly?”
 

Tiffany bit back a smile, her mind flashing back to the times when she and Taeyeon had all those conversations…transitioning from friendly to romantic in a span of a few months. It was crazy, she knew, to start something like that with someone who was thousands of miles away, but they were here now, weren’t they? Just a few feet away from each other.
 

“Okay,” she replied. “Not just friendly. But let’s start there, okay? I don’t want to spook you.” Tiffany smiled when Taeyeon gave her a shy nod. “I’ll get a drink first, if that’s alright with you?”
 

“No, let me get one for you. Umm…something sweet, right? Caramel or vanilla?”
 

Tiffany couldn’t help but beam at the other woman, touched that she knew what she liked for her coffee. “Caramel, please.”
 

“…”
 

Tiffany’s smile faltered as she watched Taeyeon stare at her, dumbfounded. “Taeyeon…?”
 

Taeyeon shook her head slightly. “I’m sorry…your smile. I…. Wow. Pictures don’t do it justice.”
 

Tiffany laughed as Taeyeon scrambled up from her seat and practically ran to the counter to get her a caramel frappucino.
 

After their not-just-friendly date, Tiffany admitted to herself that online images and chats did not do Kim Taeyeon justice either.
 

FIN.


A/N:

Writing this amidst studying is a miracle HAHAHA. 

It's cute tho...if people who fangirl and write fanfics online actually end up meeting and falling in love? :O That'd be so awesome!