Orange // SinRin

constellation of dreams
Please log in to read the full chapter

Note: this fanfiction is written based on this song. In this fic, sinrin will be twins, so be aware.

So-Young = Yerin

Sinbi will be SinB because it seems more fitting to write it like this.

Song lyrics

Orange

 

The fact that I laughed in a world you were in,

The fact that you resented the future that you saw,

Your voice, warmth, attitude, everything you loved

The sea breeze was humid and warm as it hit their cheeks, a sensation both of them had long accustomed to since the moment this rusty railroad became a hotspot for their playtime. The track sat near the sea, where tall walls stood in between to protect the village from occasional tidal of waves.

The two sisters' hands interlock as they walk along the abandoned train car. The sea breeze was loud, almost deafening. It was tugging the end of their dress as if trying to take them away to the heavens or push them off the rusty hunk of metal.

"So-Young?" The younger twin called out. Their stroll came to a stop as Sinbi faced her older twin who was born ten minutes earlier than her. She grabbed So-Young's other hand and gave them a light squeeze. Compared to So-Young's personality, her hands were cold as ice.

"Yes, Sinbi?" So-Young's petite form was glowing in a warm orange; her pure white dress seems to absorb the light from the sunset behind her. Sinbi stared at her fluttering dress that was identical to her twin's but was the color black. It didn't glow like her sister's. Just like how Sinbi could never be as bright as So-Young.

 Sinbi was aware that night time was approaching steadily. She could picture their father by the doorstep yelling for them to come home with an empty bottle in his hand. The logical side of her screams for her to just scurry home to avoid another beating but her selfish heart told her to bask under the orange halo in the presence of her smiling counterpart.

It won't hurt to indulge for a while, Sinbi thought. Especially when their time together was doomed to diminish. 

Sinbi's eyebrows wrinkled as she frowns in contempt as So-Young's patient gaze was silently urging her to talk. Her brown eyes met her sister's own. It was incredible how much they resemble each other. The villagers couldn't tell them apart from just by a glance. The only way to differentiate them easily was by the color of the dress they wear.

At a town near the ocean, along tracks rusted red,

"No, nevermind," Sinbi said. She released the smooth hands of her sister's and scowled to herself.  

So-Young deftly perched herself on the side of the train, facing the village they call their home. She kicks her legs in the air while humming a song as Sinbi positioned herself just a few inches away.

"Bi?" Sinbi pulled her gaze from the settlement and regarded her sister with a passive glance.

So-Young didn't wait for Sinbi to reply and continued, "Are you happy?"

The answer was obvious to Sinbi. She closes the space between them and put her hand atop her sister's and gave it a caress with the pad of her thumb. So-Young had a soft smile on her face as she leaned her head on Sinbi's shoulder.

The two lied, “I’m happy.”

Their disheveled smiling faces, connected hands

A faraway island, the morning glow

 

 It was dark when they got back.

Their father was fuming the time they arrived. 

"WHERE WERE YOU TWO?!" He roared.  He stood tall and brooding, resembling an ursine they saw on a book of fairy tales. So-Young flinched when his meaty hands reached in to pull her into the living room. Sinbi tightens her hold on So-Young's hand.

"W-We were just playing by the train tracks..." So-Young whimpered.

"WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT CURFEW?!" 

"It's my fault-" Sinbi spoke up, but the man's harsh glare quickly silenced any protest in Sinbi's throat.

He blamed So-Young for not knowing better, So-Young kept quiet as she took in the verbal abuse from their father. 

The room reeks of alcohol, and there were empty bottles strewn on the floor. The man is drunk, and Sinbi knows what will happen in the next few seconds.

She quickly stood in front of her sister, right before he threw his fist. His knuckles met Sinbi's cheek, and she stumbled over her feet from the sheer momentum. She slowly steadied her balance and kept her ground. She could see stars and white dots in her vision, her head felt light, and the room was spinning.

He was easily enraged by the girl's heroic gesture and proceeded to smack her head with a force that could knock out any ten years old. She was grasping the floor with heavy breaths as So-Young begged their father to forgive them.

She was on the brink of fainting when their father finally left. He forbid them to leave the house for an entire month right before he took his leave. So-Young had to half drag Sinbi to their room since the blows from their father's beating was still affecting her head.

After putting ointment on the bruises that started to form on Sinbi's cheeks, they had a meager meal and slept in each other's warm embrace.

The things about you, who I can’t love

The things about a weak crying me as I am attracted

That there won’t be any change, after all, it’s special

That there won’t be a tomorrow for the two of us anymore

 

Six summers later, the twins had grown into two young ladies. 

Six years had gone by, and the village was still the same. The walls are still standing tall; the train car is long abandoned by the two sisters. So-Young who had steadily kept to herself, secluded in their dark room with only books and her twin sister to keep her entertained.

Six years. And among those years, So-Young developed an illness. The village physician couldn't grasp the root of her ailment, but it was sure that there was no cure for it. The apparent symptoms were lethargy, a low heat intolerance, and occasional migraine. 

Their father is the last person who would worry about her, so Sinbi took it upon herself to look after her sickly sister. 

Along those passing years, Sinbi had taken an increasing numbers of beating. It was close to impossible to please their father's demanding nature. But thanks to those painful times, Sinbi had become numb to it. She barely flinches from a punch in the face or even a boot on the stomach.

Sh lost the ability to feel pain. Her happiness and suffering came from one person only. Her other half. Whose soul is slowly decaying under the dimly-lit room they shared.

 

So-Young was propped on the bed post, a thin blanket by her waist, and a leather bound book in her hands; while her twin sister was sitting at the edge of the bed with paper and charcoal in her lap. 

Sinbi was drawing a picture of the two of them playing by the white walls; it was a request from So-Young since the latter loved Sinbi's drawings.

"Sinbi?"

"Hm?" 

"Can you come closer?" Sinbi turned her attention away from her task and found her sister slightly moving towards her. So-Young reached for a piece of white cloth sitting by the side of her pillow that she used as a compress.

She watched her sister put the silk on top of her head like a makeshift veil and smiled fondly. Her sister had a silly grin on her face. Sinbi briskly placed the items on the nightstand and slid into her sister's outstretched arms. 

So-Young's fingers felt cold on her skin. Sinbi kept her hold loose, afraid she might snap her sister's fragile body from just the slightest squeeze.

They held each other in silence for a long while. They were close enough to feel the other's heartbeat. Sinbi's were rapidly increasing, a contrast to her counterpart's slower rhythm.

"...Bi...?" So-Young said in a hushed voice.

"Hm?"

"We will always be together, right?" So-Young whispered. Her voice was delicate, like silk in Sinbi's ears. 

"If we got separated, you'll find me again, right?" So-Young sounded almost desperate. Sinbi's heart constricted painfully.

"Yeah," Sinbi caressed her sister's smooth tresses as she leaned back to see the girl's gentle eyes and whispered, "Forever."

Behind a church decorated with ivy,

We again made a childish promise

Let's tell a story about running away.

 

"Bi? I'm...father said I'm going to be married off to the chief's son."

Sinbi knew this moment would come. 

The moment where her father will hand over her sister's hand in marriage.

Her sister is a charming girl. She was loved by the young men in their community, her smooth and kind gaze that could sway any heart, contrarily to gloomy and brash Sinbi who would sock a boy in the eye for talking about her sister in a distasteful manner.

Their father planned to give So-Young's hand in marriage to the village chief's eldest son, undoubtedly his attempt on achieving a sort of influence in the community.

Sinbi buried her nose into her sister's collarbone. Her lips purse into a thin line. So-Young's fingers entangled itself around Sinbi's mane and hummed the same sad tune she was always fond of singing.

Sinbi rests her lips on her twin's damp skin and felt the girl's breath hitch. Sinbi knew what they were doing - what they were feeling was forbidden. It was deeply frowned upon by the community - or the universe for that matter. But it just comes so easily - loving her sister. It felt inevitable as if they were meant to fall for each other.

So-Young loathed their fate to be born as sisters.

She resented the future that had been doomed to bleak.

 

Sinbi've had an inkling that this taboo between them, couldn't be hidden from the society for long. 

Their father caught them sharing a kiss. He was furious. He was furious, for So-Young who is about to

Please log in to read the full chapter