fairytale // wonha

constellation of dreams
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

our ending, let’s write it together

if fate wouldn’t be kind to us,

let’s create it ourselves…

the fairytale ending for us

 

               

---

 

 

Sowon looked around the grandfather’s office, sneezed because of the dust, and then sighed before she processed to do as her grandmother’s request. “Sowon, dear... please help me cleaning your grandfather’s office. Maybe you could find something you like there before I sell everything in there.”

Her grandfather has passed away three months ago and no one has ever come to clean his office. The office was filled with books, some more books, and even more books. Her grandmother doesn’t enjoy book as much as her grandfather does. So, she planned on selling everything here.

Sowon wasn’t crazy about books but sometimes she does read. She opened the window to let the sunshine and fresh air entered the office. The office was moldy and somehow it smelt like incense. Shrugging her shoulder, Sowon was set to work.

As she cleaned every dusts which has gathered around the shelves, Sowon took her time to examine some books she found. She looked through the pages and being immersed in it. So, it took her a long time to clean everything.

When she rearranged the shelves, a box on top of the shelves caught her eyes. She tiptoed while trying to reach for it. She almost got it when she slipped and hit the shelves which resulted in the box to fall on her head. Sowon rubbed her head while examining the box. In it was a stack of thick parchments. She examined what’s written in it.

Written on the first page, which Sowon assumed was the title, was four simple words, ‘Empress of the World’ there are more words under it, but the ink was so badly smudged that Sowon couldn’t make out the words. Sowon hummed to herself while she read the parchments.

 

---

 

 

 

Empress of the World

 

 

 

She looked up at the midnight sky and started to count the stars.

For a moment, she wondered about what she should do.

There was a shooting star and with clenched hand, she nodded to herself.

Because since the beginning, it’s obvious what she should do.

There’s only one thing she should, would do.

Always.

The obvious choice.

The one she would always chose without fail.

 

---

 

Eunbi looked at the commotion around her, at the maids who were busy preparing everything for her, at the pack of luggage on the side, and at every single of her things that have been packed in the boxes, ready to be shipped off. Like her. The difference was, different with her boxes, Eunbi wasn’t ready to be shipped off to be betrothed to Queen Sojung, The Empress of the World. It’s said that actually she only has a little kingdom but has extended the size of her kingdom by conquering all of the other countries, including Eunbi’s.

Eunbi hated The Empress and her dictatorship. She took one last glance around the palace which has been her home for the past twenty years. With one last sigh, she entered the caravan which has been prepared for her. Eunbi wasn’t even sure why The Empress would choose her instead of the many others. She hasn’t even met her yet. With heavy heart, Eunbi left the place she has always called as home.

---

During the ride, Eunbi’s mind was swirling with what she has heard about The Empress. “Cold hearted. Expressionless. After just six months of sitting on the empress chair, able to conquer many countries, and suppressing the rebellions that occurred through blood bath. With her icy stares, she could force people into submission. An unapproachable empress.”

Eunbi sighed harshly. Her fate was really sealed. She wondered if she could run away from all of this. A tiny little bit of her was wondering what kind of person The Empress was. Yet, nothing good has ever arrived on her ears about The Empress. Eunbi felt apprehensive, the closer she got to the kingdom of the world, the place where The Empress and soon her, reside.

---

“Ah, you have arrived, my bride.”

Eunbi looked up from her kneeling position at that voice. The Empress’s face was shrouded by the shadow from the window pane. Eunbi nodded stiffly. She turned her eyes into the floor.

“Aren’t you very cute? Like a cute little rabbit.”

Startled that the voice was so close to her, Eunbi raised her head. The Empress was only an inch away from her.  She’s tall with a presence that’s so strong that Eunbi flinched when the empress was reaching to pet her hair.

“Don’t be afraid, dear. I won’t kill my bride.”

Eunbi involuntary shivered when she noticed how dark the empress’s gaze was. So dark, like the midnight sea, bottomless and scary, because Eunbi couldn’t see anything in it. Mysterious and dangerous.

“You are shivering? Heh, how interesting,” The Empress chuckled.

It sounded like a sneer in Eunbi’s ears. Like a predator who is ready to pounce. And I am the prey. The Empress looked like a fox with eyes that could see through everything, even the deepest secrets, and her hair was so red, like blood. The empress beauty was the kind that could make people felt intimidated, the kind that could make blood run cold in Eunbi’s vein, the kind that could kill.

The Empress zoomed into Eunbi’s face. “You really do look like a rabbit. All frightened like this,” The Empress stated.

“Your—your—“ Eunbi stuttered.

“Hm?”

“Your Majesty, your face is too close…” Eunbi squeaked.

The Empress laughed. “You are my bride. We would see each other in close encounters like this often.”

Eunbi closed at that. Because what The Empress said was true.

“But, very well. The maid will take you to your room to rest,” The Empress said while walking away from Eunbi.

As soon as there’s space between them, Eunbi let out the breathe she has unknowingly held. The oppressing air around her suddenly gone, they went to follow The Empress who’s already a meter away from her.

“Hm, who should be the one that will accompany you?” Her Majesty was looking alternately between two girls, one was a girl who has a doll like appearance and the other was a girl who’s oozing with confidence. “Oh, it’ll be funny. But, the one who will accompany you has the same name as you. Eunbi, you should take care of my bride well.”

Eunbi looked at the girl who has the same name as her and noticed that though they have the same name, they looked different, especially in height.

The Empress said, “Oh, because you are going to shadow her, we should call you Sinbi instead.”

---

Eunbi was staring out of the window in her room. The room that has been assigned to her was very spacious with pretty furniture yet it felt cold instead of homey because it didn’t seem like a room that was used by people, no warmth at all. Eunbi missed her home. She was still staring outside when the door to her room opened.

“My Lady, Her Majesty has arrived,” one of the maids at the door announced.

“Huh?” Eunbi blinked in confusion.

The Empress entered the room in her night attire and Eunbi rose from her spot in the window pane so fast that she almost slipped on the floor. WHAT IS SHE DOING HERE?!

“Wha—what—Why?!“ Eunbi was stuttering in her surprise while The Empress approached her calmly.

The Empress chuckled. “You are my bride, so I have to spend my time beside you, right?”

“But—but—“

The Empress touched Eunbi’s hair. “Very cute.” she turned around to the maids. “Everyone is dismissed for the night. I don’t want to be disturbed.”

What—what does she mean with that??!!  Eunbi’s heart was thundering in fear.

Once it’s just the two of them in the room, The Empress looked at her and chuckled. “Aren’t you tired? Let’s rest.”

Eunbi was still rooted on the spot while the empress was already laying down on the bed. Seemingly noticing it, The Empress patted the space beside her. “Come here.” simple and commanding.

Eunbi’s body was following that order. She laid down beside The Empress silently. Her body was stiff and when The Empress threw the blanket over them, Eunbi flinched. She stayed rooted on her position on the bed, but The Empress didn’t touch her nor do anything to her. Soon after, Eunbi heard an even breathing from beside her. She turned to find that The Empress was already sleeping.

Eunbi watched The Empress while she’s sleeping. When she’s sleeping like this, she doesn’t look dangerous or scary. Her eyes memorized how The Empress looked like. Her eyelashes are long. Her face looked so relaxed. It’s… weird because she looked so unguarded… Eunbi’s eyes roamed around The Empress’ figure. And she’s so tall… I wonder why she chose me…

Eunbi fell asleep while watching The Empress. A quiet whisper which sounded so far away, so soft that Eunbi was sure that she’s only imagining it. “Good night, Eunbi.”

---

Her days in the palace were not so bad. She’s fed delicious food, she could read books, and she could hear the music she wanted to. Though The Empress was still as mysterious as ever.

During her second month of being in the palace, The Empress was coming into her, their room, looking weary and tired. Eunbi cautiously approached her, meekly she asked about The Empress’s day.

Instead of answering, The Empress just told her to sit beside her on the bed. Eunbi walked toward her only to notice a little speck of red on The Empress’s face. “Wha—what’d happened to your face? Are you alright?” Eunbi asked.

She watched The Empress slowly touched her bloody face calmly and when she looked at the blood on her finger, her expression was unchanging. “It’s nothing.”

“Let me see.” Eunbi was still hesitant but her steps were hurried. Due to her haste, she collided with the table and crashed to her knee, sending a cup of tea down to the floor where it shattered into million little pieces.

Surprised, Eunbi kept on apologizing while clawing at the broken pieces of cup on the floor. Her fingers were reaching and while she’s collecting it, a single shard penetrated her palm.

“Stop,” she heard The Empress’s voice, sharp and commanding. “Don’t do this anymore. You are going to do more damage to yourself than you’ll do any good.”

Eunbi obeyed instantly, dropping her hand into her lap as thick line of blood fell from her finger down to her nightgown. Soon after, she heard The Empress low sigh. Eunbi wondered if she has annoyed The Empress with her carelessness. She heard the footsteps of The Empress walking around the room followed by sounds of drawer being opened and closed.

Moments later, The Empress knelt in front of her and gently pulled Eunbi’s bleeding hand toward her, a piece of white cloth on her other hand. Without many words, The Empress was dabbing on her wound gently by using the cloth to soak up the blood.

“I... I am sorry...” Eunbi apologized softly.

“Hm...”

Eunbi watched at how The Empress was taking care of her wound. The wound was so small, yet The Empress was treating it as if her hand was so precious. There’s a little frown on her face, the stare was intense, and she looked as unapproachable as usual but, for a moment, the word that appeared on Eunbi’s mind was ‘gentle’, the word that she would have never associated with The Empress before. Watching her from close distance made Eunbi remembered about the speck of blood on The Empress’s face.

“Your Majesty, your wound...”

“What do you mean?”

Eunbi pointed at The Empress face, at the blood appearing there.

“Oh this. It’s nothing. The blood isn’t mine.”

The answer was simple. Along with it, a sense of fear started to creep back onto her heart.

“Not yours...” Eunbi echoed.

The Empress looked up to meet her gaze, a shiver run down Eunbi’s spine because the smile she saw on The Empress’s face was almost feral. “Yeah, not mine. The blood on my face isn’t mine. It’s a blood from a person that should be punished.”

The word ‘gentle’ that she has thought before morphed into ‘dangerous’. The Empress didn’t elaborate more and after making sure that her wound wasn’t deep, they slept.

---

 

“I will have you return all of your belongings, your lands, your house, your money. Give back everything that you have to the kingdom.”

“WHAT?!”

“You have been found of embezzlement. Silence.”

“You have no proof!”

“Choose one, take your leave now and go back to your place or you could choose the second option which is losing your life. Choose now!”

 

 

---

 

 

“Sowon, dear, eat your dinner first. You could continue your work after you eat your dinner,” her grandmother said.

Startled, Sowon looked up from her spot on the floor, the parchments were still on her hands. “Huh, dinner?” Sowon noticed the darkness surrounding her, and she found out that the day has turned to night. Time passed while she’s reading.

“Yes, dear. Dinner. Come here,” her grandmother called her again.

“Uh, oh, right, wait, I’ll clean it up first.”

“Just bring it with you, it’s okay. If you read it until you lose track of time, it means whatever it is, you like it. So, bring it with you,” her grandmother said with a smile.

“Ah, alright,” Sowon smiled, she took the box containing the parchments with her.

---

“So, how’s work, Sowon?” her grandmother asked during dinner.

Sowon swallowed her food. “It’s okay, I think. I have released a new batch of new collection for autumn.”

“That’s good.”

“And there’s this really persistent person who kept on trying to make this idol to be my model,” Sowon scrunched her nose. “Her manager is really persistent.”

“Do you not like this idol?”

Sowon paused in chewing her food, seemingly contemplating her words. “I don’t hate her. Her song is actually pretty nice. It’s just, she’s probably trying to get close to me because I have some kind of influence in the industry.”

“Ah, don’t assume the worst yet, dear. She might probably a good person.” her grandmother patted her hand.

Sowon just smiled. “Probably.”

---

Later that night, Sowon continued to read through the parchment. Some of the words were smudged but she still could make out the words written there. Unexpectedly, Sowon was immersed in the story told inside the parchment. Though she pondered who’s writing it and how her grandfather could get it. But, then again, her grandfather collected things from around the world, so maybe he got it from an auction somewhere. Sowon looked at the parchments, fleetingly, she wonder why the story was so sad.

 

 

---

 

 

The first time Eunbi danced with The Empress was on the celebration of their wedding. Eunbi hated parties, she did love the food though. Before the big day of the wedding celebration, Eunbi has to do lots of things to prepare it.

“Uh, Sinbi… what is this huge stacks of papers?” Eunbi asked Sinbi.

“The name of people who will attend the party along with their habit and stuffs you could talk about with them are written in the papers.”

“I have to remember all of it…?”

“Yeah,” Sinbi replied. “It’s for your own good because all of the ambassadors from our allies and most Lords from this country will attend. In short all of important people will attend.”

It looked like hell and studying all of these felt like hell for Eunbi.

“If you couldn’t remember at least fifty people by the time the moon appears, you won’t be able to eat your favorite creampuffs tomorrow or ever again.”

“What?!”

Well, it’s indeed hell for Eunbi.

---

Night fell and Eunbi lied down tiredly on the bed. “So many people that will attend, sigh.” Eunbi looked around the room. Sojung still hasn’t come back. The big room, Eunbi let out a heavy sigh, it felt empty.

During her haze between sleeping and waking up, Eunbi felt the bed was being dipped down, like an additional weight was added upon it. Soon, Eunbi felt that a rather calloused hand was gently brushing her hair apart. “Good night, Eunbi. You have worked hard, today. Haven’t you?” a soft voice she has been familiar with entered her ears.

Eunbi stayed still until she heard an even breathing beside her. She opened her eyes to see that Sojung was sleeping beside her. Hesitantly, Eunbi reached her hand to touch Sojung’s face. “Good night, Sojung.”

---

When Eunbi woke up the next morning, the bed beside her was empty. She’s used to it. So, she kept on doing things as usual. But, Eunbi was still curious because it has been days that Sojung came to the room really late. So, she asked her companion about it.

“Her Majesty? Oh, she has been doing some meetings with the ambassadors, conducting some more meetings with a few specialists, hearing the news and facing people who wanted to talk to her, and of course she has to check  and sign some documents.”

“How do you know?” Eunbi asked curiously because Sinbi has always been with her, there’s just no way she could know what Sojung has been doing.

“Yerin told me. Besides, that’s what she usually does anyway. Always the same routine. Though it’s a little bit different now.” Sinbi eyed her.

“Hm?” Eunbi tilted her head.

“It’s different because now she always spares some time to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner properly. And she sleeps on bed now and not at her office.”

Eunbi blinked.

“Because you are here. So, I guess you are a good thing for her.”

“Wha—wha—“

Sinbi leaned on the table lazily. “Don’t you know? She’s a workaholic. She used to work herself till she’s sick, and even then she’s still working. She couldn’t sleep properly too, if she has to sleep, she will drink this prescribed medicine so she could sleep.”

Eunbi remembered the calm face that Sojung has made while she’s sleeping every day. To think that she couldn’t sleep well…

---

It’s already time for lunch and Eunbi with her companion were in the middle of walking toward the dining room when she heard a voice

“Oh, so, this is Her Majesty’s wife?” a chuckle could be heard from behind them.

Eunbi whipped her head to find an unpleasant looking guy stood there. Her companion frowned. “Lord Jang. What are you doing here?” she turned to Eunbi and whispered to her ear softly. “He is Lord Jang from the Ministry.”

“My my Eunbi, no need to be so rude. I am here to report about my work.” the guy turned to Eunbi, gave her a look then snorted. “So, it’s you, the one that Her Majesty is wasting time on.  You are from a small kingdom, right? Ah… what is it said? A bumpkin princess? Well, you are at least pretty.”

Eunbi frowned. She wanted to say something but she wasn’t sure if it’s a good thing, because after all, she’s the wife of the Empress.

“Well… well, Lord Jang, what a dirty mouths that you got there,” a voice dripped with venom could be heard from behind Eunbi, a dark looming shadow towered over her.

“Your Majesty!”

Eunbi felt herself being pushed to the back by Sojung’s hand. “She is indeed coming from a small kingdom, ah… what is it that you called her? A bumpkin princess?”

Eunbi felt shivers run down her spine at Sojung’s voice. She could only see Sojung’s back, so she didn’t know how Sojung was looking like right now. But, judging from how pale the minister has looked right now, she probably looked like a scary demon.

“But, compared to those who could only flatter me but is otherwise useless, she is far more valuable. Careful with your words, Lord Jang. She is my wife and I don’t like it when people talk carelessly like this to her.”

Thump. For a moment, Eunbi’s heart thumped when she heard Sojung’s words. It confused Eunbi because she realized that it wasn’t from fear.

“Your—your Majesty, I am sorry. Please forgive me!” Lord Jang knelt on the ground.

“Get out of my sight this instant.”

With one last bow, the guy left hurriedly.

“Well, off he goes with his tail between his legs. Coward,” Sinbi stated flatly.

Sojung sighed. She turned to Eunbi. “You took too long to arrive at the dining hall.” as if she’s explaining why she was suddenly appearing there.

Eunbi placed her hand on Sojung’s cheek. “You are rather pale. Are you okay?”

Instead of answering, Sojung asked, “Are you hungry right now? Do you need to eat now?”

Eunbi was taken aback by the questions. “Huh? No—not that hungry, I could eat later.”

A soft snicker came from Sinbi which followed suspiciously with, “…not hungry she said. A while ago she said she’s so hungry she’ll die…”

Eunbi stepped on Sinbi’s feet. Sinbi was yelping in pain.

Sojung raised her eyebrows. “Sinbi, are you okay?”

“I am okay, Your Majesty,” Sinbi replied through gritted teeth.

“Well, if you aren’t hungry, then you should come with me.” Sojung pulled Eunbi’s hand, a ghost of smile appeared there. But, Eunbi wasn’t sure.

“Huh—“

---

Sojung brought her to her office and ordered her to sit in one of the long chair there. After she sat, Eunbi stared at Sojung curiously.

“I want to rest for a bit,” with that said, Sojung placed her head down on Eunbi’s lap, closed her eyes, and slept there.

Thump. Again, Eunbi’s heart was pounding but it wasn’t out of fear. It’s really weird and Eunbi wondered why. She caressed Sojung’s hair carefully.

“I thought you are going to kiss her. I have been watching for minutes but you just keep on caressing her hair,” Sinbi sighed from her perch on the seat near the table.

Eunbi blushed.

“Sinbi, don’t be too crude,” a soft unfamiliar voice came from the door.

Eunbi turned to see that a beautiful girl has appeared with a stack of papers. The one she often saw to be around Sojung.

“Yerin,” Sinbi sighed but the light on her eyes betrayed that sigh of hers.

“Hello, My Lady, I apologize for never properly introducing myself. My name is Yerin,” the girl said with a bow.

“It’s okay,” Eunbi replied with a smile.

Like that, Eunbi was looking back to watch Sojung’s sleeping form.

“You know, lately Her Majesty is interested in flowers. She is asking a lot of experts about how to cultivate this special flower,” Yerin stated.

Eunbi looked at Yerin. “Flower?”

“During her free time, she would always research this flower.”

Eunbi scrunched her nose. “She should use that time to rest instead.”

“Probably this flower is very important for her. So important that she doesn’t mind losing her resting time for it.”

“What kind of flower that’s more important than sleeping?” Eunbi asked.

Yerin shrugged. “Oh, talking about rest. Do you know that she used to drink medicine to sleep? Though she hasn’t been using that ever since you came,” Yerin said with a smile.

“Ah… yeah. Sinbi has told me about it before,” Eunbi replied, “I am not doing anything though.”

Sinbi snorted. “Yeah, sure. Married people don’t do anything while they’re on bed.”

Eunbi tilted her head. “We are sleeping though?”

Sinbi stared at her incredulously. “You two are just sleeping??”

“Uh, yeah? Is there anything wrong with it?”

“What—you should do—“ Sinbi’s words were muffled by Yerin’s hand.

“Eww, there are your saliva in my hand. Gross.” Yerin made a face before she wiped her hand on a piece of cloth.

“Your own fault! Why would you cover my mouth!?”

Yerin sighed. “What they do on their bed is their own business, okay?”

Sinbi made a face.

Eunbi just looked at them confusedly. But, a slight movement from her lap diverted her attention away to Sojung, who’s turned her head to face Eunbi’s stomach.

Unconsciously, Eunbi smiled at the sight.

---

Eunbi has learnt how to dance, yet during the actual dance, Eunbi felt self-conscious, and as time passed she got even more nervous. She kept on stepping at Sojung’s feet. Still, Sojung didn’t even look like she’s in pain, instead she’s tightening her hold on Eunbi’s waist. They danced to a slow song. And Eunbi felt the piercing gaze from all over the dance hall. Because she kept on making mistakes and because some of the people who attended the party is far more beautiful than her. She wondered again, why Sojung chose her.

As if she could sense her discomfort, Sojung leaned down to whisper on Eunbi’s ear. “Don’t worry about them. You are the most beautiful here.”

Thump.

“Sorry, I keep on stepping on your feet, must be hurt,” Eunbi apologized softly.

Sojung pulled her closer. “It doesn’t hurt at all. I am a lot stronger than how I look.”

Thump.

---

Later that night, Eunbi watched Sojung who’s fast asleep beside her. She looked different when she’s sleeping like this. So unguarded.

Eunbi caressed Sojung’s hair carefully. “If staying with me could make you sleep well, it’s weird but I don’t mind to accompany you… ah, wait it isn’t weird to feel like this.” Eunbi rested her hand on Sojung’s cheek. “Because after all, you are my wife, so staying by your side isn’t weird at all.”

 

 

---

 

 

Eunha nervously recreated the conversations she could start with the famous designer. While she’s thinking about it, she always gazed at the cold looking woman who’s keeping to herself at the corner of the party, the charity party that was held at the five stars hotel, which her manager has tried so hard to arrange so that she could attend. But, no matter what, the scenarios in her head always ended up in her being shoved away coldly by the woman. But, as Eunbi kept on looking at Sowon, the designer, there’s a sense of familiarity in her heart. The kind of nostalgic feeling one got when they see a lost acquaintance. But, it’s impossible. She couldn’t recall if she ever met with Sowon before.

Eunha was still deep in thought when a voice interrupted her.

“What?” simple and harsh.

Eunha looked up to be face to face to the woman who she has been thinking for. “Huh? Eh?” without realizing it, Eunha has been walking over to the woman while thinking to herself.

“What is it?” the woman asked again, impatient dripping in her voice.

“I am—uh—Eunha?” Eunha awkwardly introduced herself. And you are familiar, have we meet before?

The woman just raised her right eyebrow.

“You—uh—are Sowon, a designer.” Eunha stared at her feet. She looked up again determinedly. “Could I be your model?”

“Aren’t you very cute? Like a cute little rabbit,” Sowon’s voice was dripping with boredom, “But, a cute little rabbit like you is still too early to wear my brand. Come again when you have a bigger presence.”

“Huh?”

“Now, shoo. Go play in your garden with your cute dolls.” Sowon dismissed her with a wave of hands.

Speechless and felt kind of hurt, Eunha left.

---

“Sorry, I don’t think I could do it,” Eunha reported to her manager. She called her manager from the balcony. The sound of the party’s happening inside was muffled by the wind.

‘What? Try some more. She has great influence in the entertainment business. If you could get her support, your career will be skyrocketing fast and your position as a hot-shot idol will be secured.’

Eunha sighed. “Can’t I just be an idol with my own sweat without her support?”

‘It’ll be faster if you could get her support. End of discussion. Do as I said, it’s for your own good.’

“Alright,” Eunha ended the phone call with a sigh.

“Don’t sigh like that, your happiness will go away, Eunha.”

“Huh?” Eunha looked to side to find her fellow idol. “Yuju?”

“What are you doing here, all alone?” Yuju smiled.

“Nothing, just taking a breather,” Eunha replied.

Yuju smiled. “Ah, I get that feeling. Party like this is sometimes suffocating.”

Eunha just smiled at Yuju while the latter was looking interestedly at the event which has been started in the party. “Oh, look! They have started the dance event for this party.” Yuju turned to Eunha. “Will you be kind and lend me your hands and dance with me?” Yuju offered her hand and made a gesture of bowing down at Eunha.

“Silly,” Eunha laughed while she took Yuju’s hand.

They danced and danced and Eunha thought, being in a party like this wasn’t bad, as long as Yuju was with her.

---

The dance turned out to be disaster, because when they danced, they have to exchange partner every time the song’s changed. At first, Eunha was having lots of fun but then she stopped moving altogether when her dance partner was Sowon. The song was changed into the slow one which meant that they have to do a slow dance. She awkwardly stared at Sowon’s impassive face. She wondered where she should place her hands when the song started to play.

“Well, are you going to just standing there and staring at me?” Sowon asked, “Do you know how to dance? Aren’t all pop singer always dancing these days?”

“I know how to dance!” How dare she belittle me! But, it’s slow dance?! I never did that before…

Sowon sighed. “Alright then.”

They danced and with her luck, Eunha kept on stepping on Sowon’s feet. But, the latter didn’t change her expression. She still looked at Eunha impassively. Eunha kept on stealing glances at her dance partner to see any sort of expression there. Yet, no matter how often she glanced, Sowon’s expression never changed. Detached and impassive.

As they danced, Eunha noticed how beautiful Sowon was from such a close distance. And, she’s still in the middle of admiring Sowon’s beauty when the music stopped. Sowon let her go as soon as the music changed and in a blink of eye, she has walked away from Eunha without saying anything.

Eunha was about to follow her when her stomach grumbling, signaling her that it’s food time.

---

Eunha has always thought that she could handle her liquor well. Apparently, it’s just her own thought because she’s wrong about that as right now she’s in the bathroom, throwing up her dinner. Someone was helping her to hold her hair back while she’s facing down the toilet bowl. In her haze, all that she could think was, ‘What a waste, the food was delicious.’ Instead of thinking about who has been helping her.

“If you can’t drink, you shouldn’t have touched the alcoholic beverages. Are you an idiot?”

“Sorr—sorry—ugh—“

She heard an irritated sigh. “Just let it all out.”

---

When she’s harshly thrown into the bed, Eunha’s mind was reeling, she still has enough sense to fight off whoever that’s been throwing her into the bed.

“For God’s sake! Just stay still, I am trying to help you, you doofus!”

Eunha was still trying to fight that person.

“I am not interested in your body! Quit hitting me!”

Even in a haze of her drunken stupor, Eunha was kind of hurt of those words, yet she’s ceasing her fighting. “Hurt.”

“Huh? Oh, wait… sorry. I’ll be gentler.”

“Ghood...”

“What a troublesome girl, tch.”

 

---

 

 

Even if they’re married, the truth was Sojung has been keeping her at arm length, never told her anything and she never touched her more than necessary, but Eunbi wasn’t going to protest about that. The one thing that she wanted to complain was the fact that Sojung has basically confined her to her room. She’s only allowed to leave the room for meal time or, if Sojung summoned her to her office, like right now.

“Sing for me,” Sojung ordered when Eunbi entered her office.

“What?” Eunbi closed the door softly.

Sojung walked toward her. “I heard that your voice is so beautiful. So, sing for me.”

“I don’t—I can’t.”

Sojung’s eyebrow rose.

“I don’t know what I should sing for you. “ Eunbi dared herself to look at Sojung. “I don’t know how.”

“Why? Are you not happy here?”

“It isn’t like that. Maybe because I am missing my home and singing would just remind me of home.”

“Home?”

Eunbi nodded, but Sojung has an unreadable expression on her face.

“You can’t go to your previous home.” there’s a tone of finality to that and Eunbi’s heart sank hearing it.

---

The next day, Sojung has ordered for her to be dressed in the prettiest clothes, lavished her with gifts of diamonds and gold, coupled with a fancy dinner.

“What are you doing, Your Majesty?” Eunbi asked over their dinner.

“Making you happy?” Sojung replied.

“These kinds of things, it doesn’t make me happy. You are completely clueless. Do you think you could buy my happiness with such things?”

“Yeah. I already did that, haven’t I? That’s why you are here.” Sojung stared at her eyes. “Your country is indebted to me. That’s why you are here. I have bought you, your happiness.”

Eunbi threw her waters onto Sojung in a fit of rage. “I hate you. You know that?” with that, Eunbi walked back to her room.

---

“Who does she think she is?! Just because she is The Empress of the world, she thought she could—argh!” Eunbi punched the pillow in rage.

After beating the pillow to her heart content, Eunbi walked toward the window. She opened it and the cold wind of the autumn entered the room. She shivered slightly. She watched the stars and sighed. “Father. Mother. I miss you…”

“Um, you do realize that you have been throwing water onto Her Majesty’s head?” Sinbi asked.

Eunbi groaned into her hands. “I just threw water on her. I am going to die. She will kill me for sure even if I am her wife, augh.”

“No, I won’t. I have told you that I won’t kill my bride,” Sojung said from behind her.

Eunbi yelped in surprised. She lost her footing which resulting in her almost falling out of the window. Sojung was quick to catch her before she managed to fall out of the window.

“Are you okay?” Sojung asked. And for a moment, Eunbi thought she saw something akin to worry there. But, such things were impossible for the cold hearted empress. Yet, Eunbi still nodded her head.

Sojung threw her a robe after she pulled her to safety. “Wear that, we’re going on a walk.”

“Huh?”

---

The Empress brought her into the garden which was hidden by the rusty wall. “This garden, I have no use for it but you might like it. It isn’t big, but it has a water well, lots of flowers, and a little pond. You could go here.”

Eunbi walked closer to the flowers, to her surprised, it’s filled with the same flowers which have grown in her hometown. She wondered how they could grow here as well. She thought the flowers are native and could only be found in her hometown. As she walked around the little garden, Eunbi felt a wave of nostalgia flooded her senses. Everything in the garden reminded her of her home.

From her peripheral vision, Eunbi watched Sojung took a seat on a log. Is she preparing this for me? But, that’s impossible, right? Eunbi sat near The Empress who’s staring at the pond. Eunbi took a glance at The Empress, whose expression didn’t change even one bit. Her eyes fell onto Sojung’s hands which full of small cuts.

“You know, lately Her Majesty is interested in flowers. She is asking a lot of experts about how to cultivate this special flower,” Yerin stated

Eunbi looked at Yerin. “Flower?”

“During her free time, she would always research this flower.”

Eunbi scrunched her nose. “She should use that time to rest instead.”

“Probably this flower is very important for her. So important that she doesn’t mind losing her resting time for it.”

Eunbi cleared and with a small smile, she started to sing. Because, maybe The Empress wasn’t such a bad person if she was really the one tending to the garden. And dare I say that it’s all for her, for Eunbi? Eunbi shook her head to clear her thought because strangely, she felt kind of giddy.

when I look upon the stars

they shine so bright

and I remember

of the one who has changed my world

I have lost

without the sun nor the moon

to guide me home

and then there’s you

who’s fairer than anything

who’s so out of the world

and I wonder

if you think about me too

when I look upon the stars

they shine so bright

still you are brighter

who are you?

the one who is changing my world

are you the moon?

are you the sun?

who are you?

will you guide me home?

and as I gazed upon the starless sky

I wish you are my home

---

you don’t realize it, do you?

the fact that you are like the star

that makes me unable to look away

bright

beautiful

captivating

like the stars,

you captivated me

my whole being is yours

yet, like the stars

far away and out of reach

you are like that

out of my reach

---

 

 

Eunha opened her eyes to a darkened room which startled her because she’s sure that it wasn’t her own room.

“Awake?”

“Huh?!” Eunha turned to the side to find a familiar face greeted her. “You—? Why—?”

“Little rabbit, you don’t remember anything from last night?”

“So—Sowon—what—what’d happened last night?” Eunha stared in horror at her underwear and the gown that she used yesterday was scattered around the bed. “You—what were you doing to me?!” Eunha pointed her finger at Sowon while her other hand was covering her body with the blanket.

Sowon sighed, she stared uninterestedly at Eunha. “Haven’t I told you that I am not interested in your body?”

“What the—“ and the memories came rushing back.

“For God’s sake! Just stay still, I am trying to help you, you doofus!”

Eunha was still trying to fight that person.

“I am not interested in your body! Quit moving around!”

“Oh, look like you remember some events from last night,” Sowon stated, “Just to remind you some more, you were throwing up at my dress when I met you at the bathroom. After that, you threw up some more. And then you just passed out. Because I don’t know where you live, I brought you here.

“You were dirty and I was too. So, I let you sleep on your undergarments. You smelt of expired food so, you slept alone on the bed while I slept here, on the couch.”

Eunha was gaping like a fish after Sowon finished her explanation. “Um...I am sorry…?”

Sowon sighed. She pointed at a plastic bag on the bedside table. “In that plastic bag are clean clothes. You wear that to go home.”

“What—what—um—thank you…?”

Sowon sighed again. “No need to thank me. You smelt of expired food mixed with booze. I dislike the smelt so you wear that clean clothes.”

 

 

---

 

 

Even if she has sung for Sojung, it didn’t mean that she didn’t want to leave the palace. While attending to the flowers at the garden, Eunbi heard that the servants were going away to the market. Planning her escape routes, Eunbi followed the servants silently. She took note of when and the route they usually take to walk out of the gate. Of course, Sinbi was following her.

After observing fo

Please log in to read the full chapter