I Wonder

Once Upon A Time

He was busy, he had to be. I mean the only other explanation is that I have a bad habit of reading way too far into things…

 

You sighed dramatically, drawing your fingers through your hair, as if you were daring to rip it out from anxiety alone. Your chance encounters had garnered you a couple of numbers and a few promises, but it seems like those were falling through. But from what you could tell, from the other side, there was an eagerness to get to know you. So the radio silence had to be because they’re busy.

 

Definitely….maybe.

 

You sighed again, your steps slow and deliberate down the winding path through the trees. Your anxiety was eating you alive, and you needed some semblance of peace and quiet; so here you were, at the park during your lunch break (so gratefully extended by your boss, who could feel the tension radiating off of you). You tried to clear you mind, achieve a sense of tranquility or something like that, when you heard the soft familiar tweets and whistles of the birds of the park, always together.

 

Together... I rarely ever hear a bird sing alone.

 

You whistled and sang along with their tune for a while, finding that calm you so desired, when a song struck you.

 

I suppose I’ll be Aurora twice this week… you smiled softly to yourself before taking a deep breath and beginning your song.

 


 

Jungkook was lost, to put it simply.

 

When Namjoon had told him that one “could get lost in [this] park,” he thought his hyung might have been describing its beauty or something. But nope, no he actually meant that you can get literally freaking lost here.

 

He pushed his way through another set of bushes, feeling incredibly more frustrated as time went on. His phone was dead and he was lost in a park he had never been to before.

 

Grrreaatt... If I could just find a sidewalk or…

 

Suddenly, a unique noise piqued his interest. It sounded like…singing? But there were no words involved. Jungkook stopped moving so he could get a clearer indication on where the sound was coming from. As far as he knew, there was no one else in this god-forsaken park beside himself and what he hopes is another human being from the sound of it (and hopefully not a bad spirit or something trying to lure him into a trap).

 

I mean who knows with my luck today….

 

But at this point, following the voice was his only hope, so Jungkook figured he’d have to cut his losses. Could he quite possibly be lured away from society into the spirit realm? Namjoon would say no, but Jungkook theorized, stranger things have happened.

 

He could feel himself getting closer and closer to the source with every push through the bushes. Once the voice started to get louder, Jungkook picked up speed, adrenalin coursing through his veins and a relieved, broad smile stretching onto his face.

 

I got you…now?

 

Well he found the source, but it just wasn’t what he was expecting. She wasn’t what he was expecting.

 

A girl?

 

Jungkook could feel his face heat up as he saw the beautiful girl (or possibly a trickster spirit, he hasn’t quite abandoned that theory yet, especially now) slowly graze her way down the now visible sidewalk, her head turned upward towards the trees, birds flittering their way around her, signing back softly. Jungkook thought you couldn’t possibly be any more ethereal than you were in that moment… and then you were.

 

“I wonder, I wonder,

I wonder why each little bird has a someone”

 

If Jungkook’s mouth could hit the floor, it would have, believe me. He was soon to be catching flies in that trap of his.

 

He was completely stunned.

 

I mean, he thought your vocalizing was beautiful, but to hear you actually sing was incredible; too incredible for the maknae apparently, since he failed to realize a little too late that you had sauntered yourself down the sidewalk and away from his sight. Once realization hit him, he was frantic to make contact with you again, desperately trying to be as quiet as possible as he rustled through the trees so he wouldn’t startle you.

 

“to sing to,

sweet things to,

a gay little love melody?”

 

Once he caught sight of you again, he visibly relaxed, shoulders un-hunching and his frantic breathing returning to normal. He matched your pace through the trees, each step you took he mimicked, eyes never once leaving your frame.

 

“I wonder, I wonder,

if my heart keeps singing will my song go winging,

to someone,

who'll find me,
and bring back a love song to me?”

 

You finished singing, your own eyes trailing the birds above you, enthralled with how they moved and “sang” along with you, and perhaps you stared a little too long, being a teeny bit jealous of how they snuggled up on the branch in front of you once you had completed your song. You sighed, melancholic, before a sudden noise broke your wistful thoughts. Hearing the rustle of leaves and a hard thud, you whipped your head around to the source of the noise, startled to find what appeared to be a young man sprawled on the ground to the side of you. He groaned as he attempted to push himself off of the sidewalk, his feet scrambling in the bushes behind him.

 

Really? Again? And this one’s hot too…

 

Jungkook had nit been paying attention very well to his surroundings, too fascinated with you to realize that the tree he went to lean up against was in fact… not there.

 

The poor boy on the ground snapped his head up to meet yours, immediately getting up and brushing himself off, clearly embarrassed (but you could have guessed that from the color of his face alone). His eyes connected with yours once more, only to break to the pavement at lightning speed.

 

“I uh,” the young man pointed to his ear, “heard singing…very, um, beautiful.” You smiled at his English and his sweet words, deciding to make him a little more at ease by responding in Korean.

 

“Thank you very much.” You smiled sweetly, albeit a bit awkwardly since this man was quite literally in front of you not moments ago. The boy’s eyes lit up however at hearing his native tongue.

 

“Oh thank goodness you speak Korean! I’m learning English but to be honest, I’m not that confident in it yet, especially when I’m not around my hyungs…”

 

“Oh well..keep at it! Er…fighting!” You made a cute fist pump with your hands, trying to encourage the boy with a phrase you knew he’d understand. Though after you did it, you were sure you looked incredibly stupid. Aeygo was never one of your strong points, but who could blame you, it’s not exactly part of your culture back home.

 

Unbeknownst to you, Jungkook thought you did just fine, more than fine actually, your little cute stunt had made him completely forget why he had even sought you out. You started to walk away, wanting to remove yourself from the awkwardness of the situation as soon as possible! Seeing you start to leave jolted Jungkook from his convenient amnesia however.

 

“Uh, wait!” You turned around, started by his outburst, watching as he slightly jogged over to you. “Miss, I am so sorry to bother you, but I’m actually very lost and I normally wouldn’t do this but I have to be somewhere in,” he stops to glance at his watch, “like thirty minutes from now. Do you think you could show me the way out?” The poor boy finishes, flashing you a shy smile, and blinking down at you through his long lashes.

 

You startled to mull the boy’s request over in your mind. He was hot, true, but he was also possibly stalking you? I mean, he practically admitted to following the sound of your voice…but then again…

 

I suppose I would do the same thing if I was lost somewhere…

 

“Ah… okay, just follow me since I’m on my way out anyways~” Clearly you were no match for this man’s charms, inviting a stranger who was previously following you to now walk with you through the park. Great idea. Fantastic.

 

This is how I die isn’t it?

 

You watch as the young man’s face lights up at your words, moving to your side and stepping in time with you on the sidewalk. The two of you fall into an uncomfortable silence, the both of your keeping your eyes everywhere but on each other.

 

“So…is this your first time at this park?” You cringed at your awkward attempt to make conversation.

 

“Uh yeah… is it that easy to tell?” He gave you a sheepish smile and scratched the back of his head. You flushed, realizing you might have said something rude and embarrassed him.

 

“Well no! I mean, maybe…but like, everyone gets lost here, even park veterans like me, so there’s nothing to be ashamed about!” Flustered, you tried to bolster your acquaintance, waving your arms around animatedly as you spoke. “It’s incredibly confusing to navigate through the park considering there are practically no signs and unlike most parks, this one is very secluded and closed off with rows of trees and underbrush.”

 

The young man just stared at you as you chatted away, trying to hold back a smile at how passionately you spoke; his eyes watching you amusedly as you continued.

“Which isn’t really a bad thing, ‘cause I love the privacy the park offers… but they really do need signs here. I’ve even had to draw some people maps just to find their way around! I should probably talk to the park managers or something; I mean they’re clearly open to change since there was a well built here just over the weekend, so maybe they’ll listen to me about having signs put in right?” You finally turned to your companion after your “speech,” flushing once again when you realized that you were just caught rambling on about something that you were sure only you cared about.

 

“Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! Would you believe me if I said I usually don’t talk this much?” You laughed a little awkwardly, looking down at your feet (still padding towards their destination) in embarrassment.

 

“It’s okay!” The stranger waved his hands in front of his face in reassurance, “I don’t mind just listening sometimes!”

 

Especially if it’s you, Jungkook had to catch himself, making sure he didn’t say such words out loud. You looked up to him and gave him a weak smile, still embarrassed, but comforted by his words.

 

The rest of the (pretty short) walk was accompanied by the young stranger asking you questions about yourself (“How do you like South Korea?” “What do you do for work?” “What do you mean you’re not a singer??”), smiling bigger and bigger every time you answered.

 

“Well,” you started once you had come to the edge of the clearing, “here we are! Just go down that path and you’ll be out~” You pointed in the direction the young man should go, expecting him to thank you and take off without a second thought.

 

Unbeknownst to you, however, he wasn’t quite done with you yet.

 

“Do you have any pen and paper?” He looked at you earnestly, an impish smile ghosting on his lips.

 

Is he…gonna ask for my number???

 

Your head spun at the possibility of the park once again being the ultimate wingman, the color of your face betraying you, threatening to reveal your hidden thoughts.

 

“Y-Yeah, sure…hold on, let me just find my notebook…” you scrambled around in your purse, your thoughts still running wild before the man before you spoke up again.

 

“You just mentioned earlier that you’ve drawn maps of this place for people before? Would you mind doing that for me? I think it would help me a lot the next time I come here!” He awkwardly chuckled and you felt yourself get a little disappointed at his words.

 

Stupid stupid stupid! He didn’t want your number! Ugh, what is wrong with me…

 

You had to stop yourself from sighing dramatically as you replied, “Sure! I don’t mind at all um,” you looked at him expectantly, realizing you never actually got his name…and you never gave him yours. Your people skills were in need of an improvement apparently.

 

“It’s Jungkook,” he replied, not missing a beat as he smiled down at you as you carefully drew out a map from your memory of the park. You had to look away quickly though, pretending to be absorbed in your work, careful to not be blinded by his smile (and possibly sunburnt). He watched you intently while you vigilantly sketched the map onto your dusty pink notebook paper, trying not to giggle at your cute, messy handwriting once you labeled each section.

 

“Well, here you are Jungkook! Hopefully with this you won’t be able to get lost here ever again!” You laughed sweetly, ripping out the paper from you book and handing it to him gingerly. Jungkook reached out and grabbed it from you in the same regard, his smile growing, and you had to force yourself not to turn away awkwardly again, getting a good look at his teeth this time.

 

Cute…like a bunny

 

His voice soon pulled you out of your trance though, and you quickly snapped your eyes from his mouth to his own orbs, forcing yourself not to get lost in the sparkle of those either.

 

“Thank you so much for all your help today!” Jungkook folded the paper between his hands, clasping them together and bowing slightly at you in appreciation. “But um… I just realized I never got your name?” Bunny boy, looked to the side, a little bashful, slight pink dusting his cheeks. “I think it’s only fitting, since you know mine that I should know yours as well.” Jungkook forced himself to look back at you expectantly, frustrated with how he couldn’t look directly into your eyes for too long. Desperately, he tried to keep his composure as he waited for an answer.

 

“(Y/n),” you smiled back at him, wide enough to rival his own grin as your cheeks bloomed in color, “my name is (Y/n).” The two of you stood in silence for a few seconds, both a little flustered by each other’s presence, when you felt a buzz from your bag.

 

You quickly took your phone out to find a text from your boss, asking you where you were and making you realize you had probably well over exceeded your lunch break. Yikes!

 

“Ah! It’s my boss! I’ve gotta get back into work!” You started to put your things back away into your purse a little frantically. “It was really nice meeting you Jungkook.” You looked back up to him after you had packed up, finding him looking back at you a little forlorn. You gave him a sad smile in return as you took off down the path that led to where you parked your car. “Take care!”

 

Jungkook seemed to be at a loss for words as he saw your retreating figure, almost forgetting to shout out a “Will do! You too!” in response. He folded his new map up and stuffed it into his pocket before shoving his hand in over top of it, softly tracing a pattern into the paper with his fingers. When he got halfway down the path you had directed him to, he suddenly jolted in place and looked back to where he had left you.

 

Damn, I should have asked for her number…

 

A deep frown settled on his face before he finally replaced it with a hopeful smile.

 

Maybe…next time…if I sing, she’ll find me.