Once Upon a Dream

Once Upon A Time

After yesterday’s…interesting turn of events, you decided that you would sing in the butterfly garden today. You tried to convince yourself that changing the location where you sang had nothing to do with Taehyung, but really it had everything to do with him. You were very shy, and to have someone find you singing a princess song to children was incredibly embarrassing; you couldn’t stop tossing and turning the whole night. Plus, you were somehow convinced that your “prince” was just playing a prank on you, since he had neglected to text you at all since receiving your number. You tried not to let it get to you, but like I said, you are a very easily embarrassed person. 

The situation wasn’t all bad though, the butterfly garden was absolutely breathtaking, and you wondered why you had never sat in there before. It had various intricate stone benches placed throughout the walkway, creating a small barrier between the sidewalk and the flowers. Tiny signs were lined up next to each plant, no doubt explaining what they were and their purpose.  Overall, the garden was very quaint; a small, secluded area perfect for embarrassed singers. 

You didn’t forget to tell the children where you would be today though, putting a little sign on your usual bench in front of the lake. It didn’t take long for them to come and find you, excitedly running over once they saw your face. You were thankful you were sitting down though, since you were certain all of the little hugs you were receiving would have knocked you to the ground. You laughed at the thought before feebly pushing the children off of you.

“Alright that’s enough,” the children scooted away from you, smiling back at you, “goodness you are all so strong!” They giggled as they took their seats, some on the benches, while others preferred to sit on the ground in front of you. You noticed the absence of Eewan today, wondering if it had anything to do with Taehyung. Shaking the thoughts from your head, you focused on the children in front of you, eager faces begging you to share something with them; a song, or a story, at this point they didn’t care. You didn’t know it, but these kids were so enthralled with your voice that they would have listened to anything you had to say.

“Noona sing another love song!” You heard a little girl say from the back, followed by various shouts of approval.

“Oh I don’t know, I don’t really know anything about love.” The children looked at you shocked.

“What?!” They shouted in unison, before you heard Jihae pipe up.

“Don’t you have a boyfriend noona? Or a crush?” The children looked at you expectantly, a few of the girls talking to themselves about how you were so pretty, that there was no way you didn’t have a boyfriend. You blushed when you caught their compliment, but chose to pretend you didn’t hear it at all. 

“No, I don’t have a boyfriend, or a crush really…”

“WHAT?!” More shouts came from the tiny crowd, along with a few “I’ll date you noona!”s strung in between. You laughed at their innocence, knowing that they’d understand one day why not every young adult was in a relationship. You decided to indulge them just a little, if not to get them to calm down.

“Well, there is someone I’ve met…” The children hushed at your words, bringing you to their full attention. You heard a few of the girls chanting “Who?”, their faces bright and expectant.

“Oh, a prince…” You smiled slyly watching their faces light up.

“What’s he like?” One of the children on the benches asked.

“Well he’s tall and handsome, and he’s so romantic~” A couple of girls sighed while a few of the boys gagged. You held back a giggle, knowing full well those boys were just saving face.

“What did you do when you met him?” Mijin asked, eyes sparkling.

“We walked together, and talked together… and just before we said goodbye, he took me in his arms, and then…”

“And then?” The children leaned in in anticipation.

“I woke up.” You put on your best pout and watched as all of their little faces fell. You felt a little guilty leading them on. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to get your hopes up, but it’s true, the only place I’ll ever meet my prince is in my dreams.” You were too engrossed in your little tale to notice that the two boys in the back had snuck off, finally remembering that the note you had left on the bench had told them to take it with them after the read it. They didn’t want you to be mad, so they crept away slowly, bolting once you were out of sight. Completely oblivious, you continued your “tale”. 

“But, they say if you dream something more than once it’s bound to come true, so if I dream about him again I’ll let you know~” You winked at the small group, trying to add hope to you depressing story.

“What about Taehyung?” One of the boys in the front asked.

“From yesterday? I don’t think anything will come of that! He was just playing around…” You couldn’t help the disappointment in your voice as you thought about the cute boy, somewhat wishing you hadn’t met him at all.


Hoseok was excited to spend the day with his dog Mickey, but he knew going to a dog park with him would have been disastrous. He had to find somewhere more secluded so he could keep a low profile. He may or may not have overheard Taehyung on the phone with his aunt the day before, giving him directions to a park that was practically “hidden” from society. Hoseok figured that would be the perfect place to play with his pup; and it was perfect…at least for a while.

“Mickey, calm down!” Hoseok wanted to take his dog off of his leash, but the ducks around the lake would have made that impossible. He knew once he set Mickey “free” he would be off in a heartbeat, giving those ducks a run for their money. He still tried to chase them though, even if he was a little constricted. Sitting down on a bench situated directly in front of the lake, Hoseok shortened Mickey’s leash and gave himself a chance to catch his breath. He looked to the side and noticed a piece of paper in the seat next to him. He tilted his head, trying to read it when suddenly Mickey yanked at the leash, pulling it from Hoseok’s hand as he ran after the ducks…that were swimming in the lake.

“Mickey no!” Hoseok ran after him and dived for the leash, catching it just in time. Unfortunately for him though, Mickey did not stop at the tug of his leash, dragging Hoseok into the lake with him, the poor boy sliding on his belly through the mud and directly into the water.

Hoseok’s only saving grace was that no one was around to see him flailing in the water. He eventually found his way to his feet, trudged through the water, grabbed Mickey and stalked his way back to the bench, his shoes squelching with every step. Hoseok swore he heard the ducks laughing at him. With a grim expression, he took off his hat and jacket, laying them across the bench hoping that the sun would dry them.

“Once I’m dry enough, we’re leaving…and no treats for you!” Hoseok tried to be stern with Mickey, failing when he locked eyes with his dopey face. “How can I be mad when you’re so cute…” He tied Mickey’s leash around a tree, praying that this would keep him from the ducks. Hoseok sighed before laying himself out in the sun next to the tree; desperately hoping no one would come across him like this. He closed his eyes and tried to relax, but pretty soon the warm sun lulled him into a light sleep.

It wasn’t long before your two little friends found this way to the bench, completely forgetting about the note when their eyes landed on a perfectly good coat and hat just sitting there. The boys picked up the items, examining them with awe before one of them got an idea.

“I know how to cheer noona up!” The other boy looked at him questioningly. The former rolled his eyes at him before leaning in and whispering his plan, the other child’s face breaking out into a wide smile once he understood. The two took off laughing, taking the coat and hat with them. The sudden noise stirred Hoseok from his slumber, waking him up just in time to see the two boys running away with his clothing in tow.

“Hey! Stop right there!” The boys didn’t seem to hear him though…or if they did they certainty didn’t stop regardless. Hoseok got up and began to run after them, but by that point it was too late; the boys were long gone. He looked around frantically, letting out an annoyed huff when he realized he lost them. The children were nowhere in sight…however, he did see a familiar piece of paper on the ground. Hoseok recognized it as the paper that had been on the bench before he fell in the lake. Picking it up gingerly, he noticed that the handwriting on it was…terrible, like a child or a foreigner had written it.

“We will meet in the butterfly garden today!” It read, followed by a small map showing how to get there.

What is this, a club meeting for child kleptomaniacs?

Whatever it was, Hoseok reasoned, it showed him exactly where to find the thieves.


You were listening to the children tell you about their dreams, absentmindedly humming a small tune, when a strange figure caught your eye. You raised your eyebrow at the slow, stumbling individual as they made their way over to you. The children just giggled and pointed while you tried to hide an amused smirk.

“And who are you supposed to be?” You managed to get out with a somewhat straight face. Look, you did the best you could, never in a million years would you have predicted two of the children would stack themselves up to your height, a trench coat wrapped around them with a hat to match. The sight was absolutely ridiculous, but you were never one to belittle children, living by the motto, “let them indulge in their fantasies and their childish games, they only have so long to do so.”

“We— I mean, I’m your dream prince!” The little boy you recognized as Sejun spoke to you in a deep gravely voice, no doubt trying to sound older, but to be honest it sounded more like he was doing a batman impression. You covered your mouth with your hand and giggled.

“Oh of course,” you said deciding to play along, “I didn’t recognize you without your crown~”

“May I have this dance n—(Y/n)?” Sejun held out his hand for you to take, putting a smirk on his face in the process. It took everything you had in you not to double over in laughter. The other children were ecstatic, some laughing in sheer delight while others encouraged you to take his hand. You bit back your smile as you slid your hand into his, letting him lead you to the center of the garden, wobbling with every step. You let go of his hand and grabbed your skirt and offered him a small curtsy.

“You highness~” You couldn’t hold back the laughter now, chuckles starting to escape from your lips. You decided to try and cover them up by singing the tune you were before, twirling around until you reached the boys again, grabbing Sejun’s hands with yours, indulging him in his “dance,” which unfortunately for him was nothing more than a shuffle. You could tell though, by the smile on his face, that he was enjoying it, and the other little boy (who you now recognized as Kinam) had poked his head out of the coat to relish in the fun as well. The whole situation couldn’t help but remind you of a certain song…


Hoseok had finally found where the boys had run off to. With Mickey under his arm, he approached the butterfly garden, stopping dead in his tracks when he heard a sweet feminine voice.

“You know, I’m really not supposed to speak to strangers, but we’ve met before~” Hoseok slowly approached the bushes now, peering through them just in time to see a beautiful young girl wrapped in the embrace of…his clothes?!?He opened his mouth to shout in protest, when suddenly he was cut off by the most beautiful singing.

“I know you,

I walked with you once upon a dream,” Hoseok could only stare in amazement, completely forgetting about his open mouth, letting it hang wide as Mickey sniffed his face in confusion.

“I know you,

The gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam,” He watched you twirl around with what he could now tell was the two little thieves wearinghis clothes, while various children looked on in amusement.

“Yet I know its true,

That visions are seldom all they seem,

But if I know you,

I know what you’ll do,

You’ll love me at once, the way you did once upon a dream.” You were so graceful and majestic, the way you danced around the garden, complete bliss on your face; it was hard for him to look away. While you sung you started to close your eyes, and Hoseok made a decision right then and there. He was going to get his clothes back yes, but he was also sure as hell going to find out who you were; he had never seen anyone so enchanting. Familiar with the movie you were reenacting, Hoseok smirked as he found the perfect opportunity to make himself known.

“But if I know you

I know what you’ll do,” You twirled away from Sejun and Kinam, before quickly spinning back into their embrace. Sejun grabbed your hands from behind you and…he seemed taller than before…odd.

“You’ll love me at once—“

“The way you did once upon a dream~” You stopped dead in your tracks at the sound of a masculine voice behind you, your eyes snapping open to find Sejun and Kinam in front of you, Sejun looking bashful and shrugging his shoulders. You quickly turned around to come face to face with a very tone masculine chest.

“Oh!” You backed up in shock, trailing your eyes up to the mysterious man’s face.

Oh no he’s hot…

Instantly you blushed, your eyes wide and you tried looking everywhere but directly into his bright face. He smiled shyly as he wrung his hands together, seemingly becoming aware of his actions. You noticed a small dog sitting at his feet, looking at you and tilting its head. You gave the cute canine a small smile, but your attention was drawn back to mystery man when he cleared his throat.

“Sorry…I know that movie too…” He spoke in broken English, and you realized it must have been because you were singing in English earlier. You decided to make him a bit more at ease by speaking in his native tongue. 

“It’s alright, I speak Korean!” You waved your hands in front of you and smiled as his eyes snapped back up to yours, his already sunshine-y face breaking out into an even brighter smile.

How is that even possible??

Finally making note of the man’s appearance, you put two and two together and turned your attention to the two little boys who started this mess, and gave them a disapproving look.

“Did they take your clothes?” Sejun and Kinam avoided eye contact with you, almost shirking under your gaze. The man in front of you laughed wholeheartedly and you swore your heart skipped a beat.

“Actually, yeah, that’s why I was over here…and then I saw you, and heard you! You sing incredibly well!” You blushed once more, your voice becoming soft and low.

“T-Thank you.” You cleared your throat in an attempt to wash off the embarrassment, “Boys, don’t you think you have something to return to the nice man?” Sejun and Kinam sighed and took off the coat and hat, Sejun climbing off of Kinam’s shoulders before walking over to “mystery boy” and begrudgingly handing him his things. “What do we say?” The boys sighed once more before speaking in unison.

“Sorry mister…”

“Thank you,” You looked at the handsome man once more, “I am so sorry Mr…?”

“Jung. But you can just call me Hoseok.” He gave you another blinding smile.

“And you are?”

“(L/n) (F/n), but I suppose since we’re already on first name basis, you can call me (Y/n)~” You giggled and Hoseok laughed with you. He opened his mouth as if he was going to say something else when suddenly the little dog beside him took off running, barking energetically the whole way. Hoseok’s eyes widened as he quickly took off after the pupper.

“MICKEY!” You spun your body in the direction he ran to see his retreating figure suddenly come to a stop before he turned around and looked at you once more. “Will I see you again (Y/n)?” You gave him a warm smile that rivaled his own.

“I’m here just about everyday, so…perhaps?” Hoseok grinned.

“Then I guess I’ll see you then~” He waved before going back to chasing after his dog and you giggled upon hearing his voice as he yelled at his dog to “stop chasing the ducks!” You looked around to see all of the children looking up at you with big smiles.

“What?” You raised an eyebrow at them before Mijin spoke up.

“Was that your dream prince?” You smiled as you looked in the direction Hoseok had taken off in.

“Maybe…we’ll see.”