I'm Wishing

Once Upon A Time

You walked up to your regular spot, surprised to have found a newly built well in the vicinity. 

I saw the hole on Friday…they must have finished the project over the weekend.

It was clearly just for show, as it was built right next to the lake, so you figured it didn’t go down too deep. Curious enough to see if your thoughts were true, you found yourself peering down into the water below.

“What-cha doing noona?”

“Oh!” You jumped upright to find that one of the children, Jihae, had been staring into the well beside you, trying to find out what you had been looking at.

“You scared me sweetheart,” you ruffled his hair, “Don’t you know it’s improper to sneak up on your elders!” Jihae giggled.

“Aw but noona, I just wanted to know what you were looking at! What is this by the way?”

“You’ve never seen a wishing well before?”

“A wishing well?”

“I guess not,” you held your finger to your mouth in thought, “would you and your friends like to hear a song about wishing wells?” 

“Yes please!”

“I have to warn you though, the song is in English…”

“That’s okay, I’ve been practicing my English!” Jihae whipped out a confident grin causing you to laugh.

“Alright, but just in case, I’ll translate it afterwards okay?”

“Okay! I’ll go get the others!” You watched as Jihae ran off to the other side of the park. 

There were two halves of the park separated by a long stretch of trees, the sidewalk cutting through middle of them being the only way to get to your side. Behind the trees was your traditional children’s park, complete with slides, swings, and a jungle gym. After your little group had started to grown, you figured it was only responsible to introduce yourself to the parents on the other side, knowing that they’d want to know what their child was doing when they couldn’t watch them. Thankfully all of the parents were very friendly saying things like, “Now I know why Mijin has been wanting to come to the park everyday!”

Jihae came back with the usuals in tow, including one little boy who’s been tagging along recently, the others having told you that his name was Eewan. You smiled at them from the well, watching them trot over. 

“Hello children!”

“Hello Ms. (L/n)!” You giggled as they all spoke in unison, wondering why you never became a teacher.

“Gather around the well, I have a special song to sing!” The children did as they were told, circling the well and looking inside in wonder. You decided to say the speaking/ non-rhyming parts in Korean, helping the children to understand the song a bit more.

“Want to know a secret?” You watched as the children nodded eagerly at you.

“Promise not to tell?” You had to stifle a laugh, watching some of the little girls and boys cross their hearts to assure you of their sincerity. 

“We are standing by a wishing well~” You saw them all look at the well in amazement, staring down inside it and looking at each other with bright faces.

“Make a wish into the well, that’s all you have to do! And if you hear it echoing, your wish will soon come true~” You looked around to see all of the kids faces light up and look at you in awe, their eye seeming to sparkle. With a smile, you leaned into the well and began the next line in English.


Taehyung’s face broke out into a wide smile when he spotted his aunt sitting on the park bench talking to another woman around her age. He sauntered over to her as discretely as possible, mischief in his eyes. Just as he was about to grab her shoulder…

“Taehyung,” his aunt groaned, her back still facing him, “you should know by now that you can’t sneak up on me anymore.” She turned to look at him, feigning irritation, but he could tell there was mirth in her eyes. He chuckled bashfully in response.

“Ah, I was just trying to be cute~” Taehyung rested his elbows on the bench in between the two women

“Tae, you don’t really have to try to do that.” His aunt reached up and pinched Tae’s cheeks, causing him to blush while the other woman just laughed.

“This must be your nephew! What a handsome young man he is~”

“Indeed, but not only is he handsome he’s also very f—“

“Aish! Keep quiet, I don’t want to be swarmed on my day off!” Taehyung pouted at his aunt disapprovingly.

“Aw, can’t I show you off?”

“Maybe tomorrow. By the way,” Tae looked around the park, surprised to only see a few young kids playing while there was a ton of, what he would assume, parents just sitting around. “Where’s Eewan? I stopped by so I could spend the day with him.”

“Oh he’s with that pretty young lady on the other side of the park!” The other woman beside them spoke up.

“Pretty young lady?” Tae raised his eyebrows at the woman in curiosity and surprise.

“Oh Eewan hasn’t stopped talking about her! And now all he wants to do is come to the park so that he can see her with the rest of his friends. I suppose I shouldn’t complain though, it’s basically free childcare.” The two women snickered together. “Taehyung, why don’t you go and fetch him, I’m sure he’d be delighted to see you!”

“Yeah, if he isn’t too busy with his new girlfriend…” Tae’s aunt had to hide her smile when she noticed the boy’s jealousy.

“Oh don’t be like that! Now shoo!” She fanned him away from her before pointing in the direction of the sidewalk. “They should be just through there!” Taehyung just shuffled off down the sidewalk, hands in his pockets doing some serious brooding.

I’m gonna have to amp today up, how dare some girl try and take my spot in 
Eewan’s heart! …what am I saying? I’m getting jealous over some woman I’ve never even met… 

Taehyung sighed sadly; he knew the day would come where he would have to let his little cousin go. He just wasn’t expecting to loose to some stranger in the park! Suddenly, he heard a very sweet voice through the trees.

Is that her?

Trying to eavesdrop, Tae scurried behind a tree up towards the front, peering out behind it to catch a glimpse of you. But he wasn’t expecting to be taken aback by what he saw; even though he could only see the back of you, he could already tell you were beautiful, especially when you started to sing.

“I’m wishing,”

I’m wishing, 

Some of the kids jumped back as they heard your voice echo back to them from the bottom of the well. But just as quick, they scampered back to pear into the well, trying to figure out how your voice had done that.

“For the one I love, to find me,”

To find me,

“Today.”

Today.

“I’m hoping,”

I’m hoping,

“And I’m dreaming of, the nice things,”

The nice things,

“He’ll say.”

He’ll say.

You tried your best to imitate Snow White’s “laughter” singing, but you knew no one but Adriana Caselotti could do it just right, so you decided to put your own spin on it. You figured that you must have done a good job, going by the looks on the kids’ faces. With a smile and newfound confidence, you continued your song, unaware of the approaching male.

“I’m wishing,”

I’m wishing,

“For the one I love, to find me,”

To find me,

“Today.”

“TODAY~”  Your eyes went wide and you bolted upright at the sound of a male voice behind you.

“Oh! Um…” You took in the appearance of the man before you. He was ridiculously handsome, but somehow had the aura of a puppy dog? He smiled sheepishly at you and you swore he looked so familiar…

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you, I just know that song too…” He looked away from you, suddenly making eyes towards the children. “I actually came here for my little cousin Eewan.” You turned and looked at Eewan to make sure he knew the boy in front of you.

“No! I don’t want to go yet!”

“You…you don’t want to hang out with me today?” You turned back to look at the handsome man, seeing his face fall.

“Eewan, don’t say that…” You softly chastised the boy.

“But noona, you weren’t done with your song!”

“Actually, that’s where the princess’s part ends Eewan, the song is over unless you want your cousin wants to sing the prince’s response.” You were only joking, not expecting the look of pure excitement to flash on all the children’s faces.

“Tae Tae, Can you?” Eewan said, starting the small mob of children to repeat the phrase over and over again. You turned to the older male apologetically.

“Oh, you don’t ha—“ Suddenly, “Tae Tae” started signing the prince’s song, looking directly at you while he sang it. Though, instead of the English version, he was singing it in Korean. You didn’t think “One Song” could sound any more beautiful than it did right then, coming from his lips.

(Here’s the song in Korean, Tae’s part starts @2:00 )

Taehyung saw you staring at him in wonder, causing him to get sheepish and shift his gaze to the children, smiling when he saw their bright faces. When he finished they all began clapping, bringing a blush to Tae’s cheeks. He finally worked up the nerve to look back at you expectantly, no traces of arrogance on his features.

“That was wonderful Mr…” He walked a little closer, bowing his head.

“Taehyung. Kim Taehyung.” He lifted his head to smile at you, finding you blushing in his presence. “And you are…?” 

“(L/n) (F/n).” You bowed back slightly in response.

“Your Korean is very good. Are you visiting?”

“Oh no, I have a work visa!”

“So I guess that means I’ll be seeing you again (Y/n).”

“I guess so.” You smiled at him. You watched as he pulled his phone out of his back pocket.

“But, I would like your number, just in case we get separated by an evil queen.” You laughed at his comment, gladly taking his phone and entering your number into his contacts. You handed his phone back to him and he waved Eewan over towards him. “Come on Eewan! I’ll talk to you soon Princess~” You blushed at the pet name while the children just giggled. You walked back over to them, shushing them and waving your hands, still thinking about your encounter with your “Prince.”