The Imprint

The Baby Daddy

“Surprise! It’s bring your kid to work day!” Sehun cringed as he tried to lighten up the mood. He stood in front of his mirror and nervously fixed the collars of his white button down only to scowl when he noticed the milk stain on his sleeve. He worked as a customer service representative and all his coworkers dressed very comfortably, but Oh Sehun would never show up to work looking like a slob! How do you guys stand coming in with sweatpants on? You animals! 

“Blah!”

Sehun looked into the reflection to see Minguk sitting behind him with his hands on his head. “Yeah yeah, I’m the crazy one for putting a tie on every morning just to sit in a dark cubicle all day.” He took a deep breath and threw his messenger bag over his shoulder before picking the child up. “Should I leave you with the security guard?”

“Ah!” Minguk gasped and looked at his tiny hands in amazement. “Gah ah ah ah!” He thrashed his hand around and smacked Sehun’s chin a few times.

“Okay! Alright! I’m sorry for even thinking of that!”

 

The security guard by the entrance was quick to notice Sehun’s new addition. Mr. Gyu, a middle-aged man with a few grandkids himself, took a liking to the baby. “Oh, my! What do you have there? Is he your brother?”

Yes. Sehun slowly turned around and gawked. “H-Huh?” No, don’t say he’s your brother, you’ve been living here for how many years?! If you had a cute little baby brother, the entire building would’ve known by now!

“Wait, that child looks familiar…” Mr. Gyu furrowed his brows. “Didn’t a woman leave him on your doorstep?”

“YES. THAT…” Sehun gulped. “…was my cousin! She needed a last-minute babysitter. She had a lot of things on her plate and…I’m helping her!”

Mr. Gyu raised an eyebrow and skeptically eyed the infant. “Well, that’s a strange way of getting help, why would she leave your nephew on-“

“Did you know the children of your cousins are actually your first cousins once removed? A lot of people refer to them as niece and nephew but-”

The guard rolled his eyes. “Get outta here and go to work!” He had no time or patience for Sehun’s smartass.

 

***

He called a cab.

 

Sehun sat in the backseat of the taxi and winced every time the fare went up. How can I take you on public transportation?! I take the 8:30 train every morning, I see the same people every day, and they would totally misunderstand! He looked at Minguk and sighed. Little dude, where are you from? Seriously!

 

“Goo…humph…” Minguk crawled onto Sehun’s lap and grabbed his shirt. He stood himself up and bounced his legs up and down.

Don’t step on my crotch, don’t step on my crotch, don’t step on my crotch

The baby giggled as his foot slipped.

“GACK-“ Sehun squeaked and lifted the child up as his face turned beet red.

The taxi driver watched from the rearview mirror and chuckled. “Is it “bring your child to work” day? Goodness, me, he is precious! I wish I was able to do that with my daughter! Cherish your time with him, they grow up so fast!”

Sehun stared into the mirror with a longing gaze. C-Children? Will I even be able to have any at this point? He sat Minguk down next to him and held him tightly. Gosh, what am I going to do with you?

 

Walking into work with a baby was surprisingly easy; Sehun strolled right in and even stopped in his tracks for a few minutes. He looked around the huge vicinity in disbelief and shock. Everyone was in their cubicle either typing away or answering phone calls. “Are you guys just not going to…?” Sehun held Minguk up in the air as if he was a medal. “I have a baby!”

 

“Shut up!”

 

Sehun lowered the child and walked to his desk quietly. He felt like the Kwangsoo in a sea of Jaesuks. You might as well play that song that comes on every time Kwangsoo loses on Running Man! He thought as he failed to get any acknowledgment from his coworkers.

 

He calmly set Minguk on his lap before turning his computer on. “I’ll answer emails today only,” He decided. “Because you might make noise!” Sehun whispered.

Minguk indifferently shoved fistfuls of melting cookies in his mouth. He didn’t care. He’s a ing baby. He doesn’t give a tbh.

 

Although Sehun tried his best to be discreet, the woman he worked with noticed his frequent trips to the break room.

Somin knocked the divider as she worked. “Sehun, what is going on? Why do I keep on hearing you leave and come back? Are you slacking off?”

“I needed coffee…”

“You left 4 times in the last hour!” Somin exclaimed. “We have to get this work done by the end of the day and you know we always split it in half! But it feels like I’m doing most of the talking,” She said as she finished up an email. She rolled herself a few feet back and stuck her head out. “How come you haven’t been taking any calls- OH.MY.GOD-“

“Shhh!” Sehun waved his arms like a madman. “Stop!” He whispered.

Somin pointed to Minguk. “What…is that?”

“It’s-It’s a baby.” He began. “It’s a long story and it’s all very bizarre to me as well so let me explain-“

“A baby? What- you have a baby? You have a kid? Y-You’re married?”

He shook his head. “No! Of course not! I’m a-“ Sehun turned Minguk around. “He doesn’t even look like me!”

“Well he’s an infant, maybe he didn’t evolve yet, the ? Maybe he’ll grow into you or something-“

“Language!”

Somin held her hands up. “My bad!” She looked at the child. “Why is he here?”

“I found him on my doorstep the other day. Some lady left him behind!”

“You…is he from a one night stand?! Oh my, oh my! You !” She flicked his forehead. “Take responsibility for him or use a dammit!”

Sehun looked around and grabbed her wrist before storming out of the room into the lounge.

 

“Somin, I swear on God’s good earth that this baby isn’t mine!” Sehun locked the door to the lounge and set Minguk down. “Someone left him by my doorstep by accident! They got the wrong guy!”

“Why did you keep him?!”

“I didn’t know what to do with him!”

Somin rolled her eyes. “You gotta call the cops or something!”

“I can’t escape this kid!”

“What do you mean?”

Sehun took a step back and watched as Minguk followed. He walked around the room and pointed as the baby crawled with him. “S-See?!”

“What? See what?”

“IT IMPRINTED ON ME!”

Somin face-palmed. "What kind of nonsense are you spewing now?!"

Sehun only held onto his temples in distress. "I'm not even ready for kids!"


[a/n]: comments are much appreciated!