Exploring the Hierarchy

Real Deal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I was laying on my bed whilst staring at the ceiling. It was only my first day and yet so many things just happened. 


I didn't expect to have so many friends. Suhyun and Hayi was so nice and they showed me their true colors in an instant. Some other girls tried to talk to me but I can see them rolling their eyes whenever I shift my gaze unto someone else. Guys tried to approach me. Yeah, t r i e d. I just gave them a smile since Bobby was sitting with me throughout our math class (not to mention he's scaring all of the guys to tries to befriend me.) since it was the only class where a professor came in. All of the faculty members were suddenly called for a meeting which dismissed our day earlier. 


After class I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Hayi and Suhyun because I was rushing to my car since Junhoe texted me and asked if I wanted to eat some tteokboki with him and I said yes. He saw me infront of my car as I waved at him and he was actually shocked that I owned one. To cut the long story short, I drove the car whilst he gave me the directions. As we were devouring our tteokboki, I learned that it was June's (he said I should call him that since all the others do.) favorite street food place. I also learned is that he idolizes Michael Jackson and besides being a dancer, he wanted to be acknowledged for his singing as well. 

 

Like Suhyun's older brother, June's also a YG candidate.

flashback*

"How come does Bobby, B.I and Jinhwan already a YG trainee and you guys are not?" I asked curiously as I take a bite from my steaming fishcakes.


"Well, there was this showcase last year and those three performed together since they were friends. I wanted to perform too but I was too shy back then. Yang Hyun Suk Sajangnim was actually one of the judges. He said he saw a huge potential in those three and he'd chosen 4 students to be his trainees. The others were casted by other companies."


"Who's the other one?"


One of his eyebrows raised as he stopped eating his fishcakes.


"Seriously? You didn't know?" 


"No. If I knew I wouldn't ask." I answered sarcastically.


He chuckled and continued eating his food. "It's Lee Hayi. I'm surprised she didn't tell you."

 


My jaw dropped.

 

Hayi? Woah. That girl didn't even tell me she was already a trainee under YG. No wonder she's talking about those s so casually. And that also explains her casual bickerings with Hanbin. 


"That girl.. Aish." I muttered and looked at June. "Do you have any plans to enter the showcase this year? It's our final year after all." I said giving him an encouraging smile and wiggled my eyebrows playfully.


He smiled and stared at me. I tried wiggling my eyebrows again and he continues to stare at me. I felt my cheeks burn up and my heart beat fast again. Oh god no.


Damn it, June. Don't look at me like that.


I looked back at the fishcakes and tteokboki we ate earlier and asked the lady for the price. I was about to get my wallet from my bag when I felt his hand stopped mine. I looked up to him and blinked a couple of times. . This guy's seriously making me crazy.


"I'll pay for everything." He said as he smiled at me and handed the old lady with the money.


"Thank you." I shyly said.

 

He smiled and stared at me for a while. I felt his fingers tuck my hair behind my ears.


"You know, being shy doesn't suit you. I'm not used to you being demure and all." He said while giving me a naughty grin.

I pretended to be mad as I punched him by his shoulders and walked away. I heard him whimper as I turn around and realize that he's hurt. He was gripping unto the part where I hit him. I ran back to him and asked if he's hurt and told him that punch was meant to be a joke.


"A joke? God. You hit like a man. It surprisingly hurt but not in a good way." He glared at me playfully.


I nearly forgot that I used to train for kickboxing in L.A. I shouldn't have gone a little lighter on the punch.


"I'm sorry. I didn't think it would hurt that bad." I said whilst looking down on the ground. 


He seemed to recover from the pain I caused him and smiled at me. He,again, tucked a strand of my hair behind my ears. 

Lub dub*

Lub dub*


I looked up to him with a symphatizing expression. I felt his left hand rest on my shoulder. 

"I'm fine, seriously. Let's go home." He said then he took my bag as we walk back to my car. It has been a while since I felt this way. I was relieved and happy. I'm glad I met June. 

End of flashback*

 

I snapped out of my thoughts when I felt my phone vibrated. June texted me.

Koo June: Hey.


I grinned stupidly as I replied. Today just keeps better and better.


Choi Dani: What's up? 


I replied in english and it took him a while to reply.


Koo June:  Yah. It's hard to speak and write english you know. I'm not a pro unlike Bobby-hyung.


One of my eyebrows raised. Bobby?  He speaks english? I quickly tapped my reply and waited for his response as I roll back and forth on my bed. 


Choi Dani: Bobby? I didn't know he speaks english.


Koo June: Yep. He came from states too. Just like you. 


Choi Dani: Oh really? From where exactly?


Koo June: From what I remembered, their family lived in ia for quite a while. 


Choi Dani: Oh.


So Bobby came from ia? Well, if you look at him, he doesn't look like a guy who comes from states. But now, it somehow make sense. The way he naturally moves was kind of swaggy. He was just like a typical american boy. He always had this cool-mysterious aura. Everybody got scared approaching him. I wasn't afraid of him, I just felt somewhat awkward. Now I know that he also came from states, atleast I have a reason to approach him somehow.

 


Koo June: Do you have a facebook account? I'll add you. 

 


Speaking of facebook. I forgot to check if mom sent me a message. I didn't bother replying to June as I opened my laptop and checked if there's any messages left for me. Aaand there is.

 


Mom left me a message and she was active a few hours ago. She was asking about my first day at school and she's telling me how she misses me and I should always take care of myself. I was smiling whilst I was reading her message. I typed

 


"hey mom, I've met lots of incredible people. Everything was amazing thank's to oppa. I miss you more, mum. love you xoxo"

 


There was one friend request that I saw and it was from June. This guy has made his research huh. I clicked accept and looked through his profile. Okay, 'Stalker Dani' mode. I was scrolling through his photos and I often see his photos with a long-haired blonde girl. To my surprise, his name popped out of my chat box, he sent me a message. 

 

Junhoe Koo: Hello, I was really expecting a response from you. ^^

Dani Choi: I'm sorry, Mister. I got a little overwhelmed with your profile.

Junhoe Koo: Yah! You stalked me?! O___O

Dani Choi: haha, yeah. 

Junhoe Koo: You could've told me! I would've deleted some ugly photos I was tagged on. -____-

 

This guy is so rich in emojis. I felt my stomach growl as I realize that I haven't eaten anything yet, the last time I ate something is when I was with June. I went to the kitchen and started prepping up some food, I ended up making fried rice and Ox bone soup. 


"Urrgh! Finally! Some rice!" 


A little fact about me guys is I ing love eating. Who doesn't? Especially with rice. I love eating with rice especially when there's some soup that's partnered with it. My laptop kept making that popping sound you usually hear when someone wants to converse with you. I went to my bed, holding my bowl of fried rice, I then saw June's messages.


Junhoe Koo: Just a seen? 

Junhoe Koo: Again? Seen again? Is there something wrong?

Junhoe Koo: Did you see something in my profile or what?

Junhoe Koo: You probably saw that picture? Sorry.

Junhoe Koo: I hope you're not mad. 

Junhoe Koo: I really do like you. I swear!

 

I almost dropped my food when I read the last thing he sent. My breathing was starting to get short as I repeatedly look at his messages. What the ? Did he just confessed to me? On my first day? God damn.

 

He did!

 

Oh my god, I can't believe this. I chuckled to myself, turned off my laptop and continued eating my rice. This day just keeps better and better, indeed.

My alarm kept going on and on as I kept pressing the snooze button, I kept my eyes closed for a second and felt my phone vibrate again. Someone's probably calling me. 

 

"Hello?" I answered in my sleepy voice.

 

"What the , Dani? You're still sleeping?" I heard my brother's voice in the other line.

 

"If I was sleeping, I wouldn't answer your answer your goddamn call and be talking to you right now, brother." I placed an emphasis on the word "brother". Seriously, I'm still kind of sleepy and I hate it when people disturbs my sleep.

 

"It's already 7AM! I was going to check if you safely arrived school yet but to my surprise, you just woke up! You're going to miss your first subject again like you did yesterday!" I pulled my phone away from my ears because my brother can't stop nagging and raising his voice at me, I looked at my phone and saw that I REALLY WAS LATE A G A I N. 

 

"Oh my god. I got to go now, oppa. I'm so sorry. I love you bye!"

 

I quickly hung up, threw my phone into my bag, took a shower and got dressed. I got no time dolling myself up since I was driving with my comb still placed in my head. I entered the school's parking lot and quickly got out of my car whilst combing my hair. ! I'm so late to my English class. I stood infront of the door and dusted off my uniform. I checked if there's any error, turns out there's none, I took a deep breath and began knocking on the door. 


 
The door was opened by... June? Both of eyes widened as we stared at each other for a moment, I remembered his confession last night. My attention was suddenly called by the teacher, telling me to come in. I moved next to her and bowed down, apologizing for my tardiness. I looked up to her with an apologetic look with my face as I studied her features, then my eyes fell on her nameplate. Her name was "Ms. Kwon". She signaled me to take a seat in the front row.

 

Sigh. I hate being seated infront.

 

"So Miss Choi? You're 20 minutes late and you were absent in my class yesterday. I gave you a benefit of the doubt yesterday since I knew you just arrived and you were new here. But today was a different story." she said while piercing her looks though me whilst fixing her glasses.

 

"I'm sorry, Miss. I overslept. It won't happen again." I said whilst looking down.

 

I can feel June staring at me since he was only sitting a few sits away from me. 


"I expect a lot from you Miss Choi." Ms. Kwon said in english.

 

I looked up to her with a blank expression in my face, not fully understanding what she just said. She continued to lecture me in english. For a korean, she's pretty good with her grammar and accent. Well, who am I kidding? She's an english teacher for a reason.

 

"I heard that you grew up in L.A. and I'm pretty sure you're already good at this language but I place no favoritism. Everybody gets the same treatment. Being good at something doesn't give you a right to think you're above others. If you want to pass my subject, work hard just like everyone else." Ms. Kwon said whilst the class was dead silent.

 

I feel all of their eyes were set on me and Ms. Kwon. Damn, she's harsh. I don't even think I'm above others. Where did she even find that conclusion? I guess talking back isn't a very bright idea right now, I just bowed down my head and apologized and she later on continued with her discussion, I sighed again and took out my notebook for some notes. I guess I ran out of luck from yesterday. I just hope today isn't that going to bad, it's just the first subject afterall. I tried avoiding June's looks. I was too embarrassed with what just happened earlier. 

 

"Miss Choi." I immediately looked up meeting Ms. Kwon's eyes.

 

"Yes, miss?"

 

"Stand here infront of the class and read the poem by Michael Faudet written on page **"

 

I stood infront of the class, feeling nervous. I got a glimpse of June who is also anticipating my reading, infact, all of my classmates are. I brushed off my anxiety feeling and began reading the said poem. It was a bit mature than what I've expected. As I was reading, I realized that Ms. Kwon did this on purpose.
 

"“Summer Storm

She was wild, 
unpredictable, 
beautiful, 
and dangerous. 
Impossible to resist.
 A summer storm in a bikini. 

A book called Bitter Sweet Love by Michael Faudet."

 

I spoke in english. My classmates were awed by my short but meaningful performance. They clapped their hands as I took a sit back on my chair. I was silent until Ms. Kwon bid her goodye. I realized that she purposely chose me to read that poem is because

 

it best describes me.

 

June suddenly popped beside me, feeling slightly awkward. I was walking to my next class which was Mr. Shin's. 

 

"Hey, about last night.." he started off.

 

"Let me guess, you're sorry you went too fast blah blah blah and you don't want to make things awkward for us. Right?" I said giving him a smile.

 

He just nodded in embarrassment, his cheeks started to turn slightly pink, earning a chuckle from me. I moved closer to him and whispered

 

"Don't worry. I like you too." I smirked as I saw his dumbfounded expression and ran to my next class.

 

"Bye, June! See you later!" I shouted and grinned whilst acting like I was shooting him with my hands.

 

 

 

Mr. Shin's Sociology and Politics class was marvelous. I like this kinds of topics but it seems like the majority of the class were asleep including Suhyun. I was the only one who's actively participating in the lecture and taking notes. I jolted on my seat when Mr. Shin suddenly hit the board repeatedly, awakening the class.

 

"I get that you're all art students and this subject doesn't seize your attention. So this is why I'm conducting a surprise quiz about my topic today." Mr. Shin said which clearly pissed the class. I heard them groan and complain that it was all too sudden but sadly, Mr. Shin was never wavered once. 

 

"Oh god. I swear we're going to fail this guy's class." Suhyun muttered as she took out a pen from her bag.

 

"It's okay Suhyun-ah. The topic isn't even that hard anyway. You could always use your common sense like I always do." I gave her a smile.

 

Mr. Shin gave us 45 minutes to answer the question sheets he's given. It was quite easy to be honest. I looked beside me to find Suhyun scratching the back of her head. She obviously had a good sleep since it looks like she's struggling with her quiz. After we gave the paper back to Mr. Shin, he gave us 15 minutes to do whatever we want because he's going to check all of the papers. I decided to talk to Suhyun who's very sleepy at the moment. 

 

"Didn't you sleep well last night?" I asked. She's got some heavy dark circles there.

 

"Correction, I didn't sleep last night." She answered with her eyes closed, putting emphasis on 'didn't'.

 

"And what kept you up so late?"

 

I saw her opened her eyes and grinned at me then covered her face with her hands. She was obviously blushing. Looks like someone flirted last night.. and it's not only me.

 

"I was talking to Jinhwan oppa." she said timidly.

 

My eyebrows raised. Jinhwan?

 

"I see you like him by the way you react. So what's the catch? Who messaged first?" I grinned.

 

"Him. Kyaaah!" she let out a quiet squeal which made Mr. Shin look up to us, glaring. I gave him an awkward smile as he went back to checking our papers. 

 

"Really? What did he say?" I was very intrigued with what I've heard though.

 

"He was asking about you." My eyes almost popped out when I heard her reply.

 

"Wha--" 

 

I was immediately interrupted by Mr. Shin who stood up from his chair. It looks like he was about to say something when I looked back to Suhyun who's smiling back at me.

 

"So I'm going to announce the student who got the highest grade for today's quiz. It's quite a shocker." Mr. Shin said as his eyes scanned the whole class. All of us were waiting for his announcement.

 

"Choi Dani. Perfect score." he looked at me whilst showing everyone my paper.


I was indeed shocked. I felt Suhyun shook me whilst cheering for me.

 

"Woah! Dani you're a genius

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter