Jerk

Real Deal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tears fall when I understand your pain
I call your name when I get smaller in this world
All the times you stood by my side without a word
Finally they touch a part of my heart

-iKON, Jerk

Days have passed since that incident in Dani's apartment happened and none of the them talked about it.

 

Anyway, life goes on. 

 

They would still eat lunch together, and share some classes with her, but the difference now is, Dani would avoid sitting with neither of the two and she would pretend she did not see them. For her, it was better off this way than having to deal with their separate issues.

 

Hanna and Junhoe are still together. Dani would often witness how those two would show their affection to each other. At first, her stomach would churn in the sight of them but she knew herself very well. She knew that if she would stay at that place longer, she'll just burst into tears or worse. With that, she decided to focus more on her studies and also try painting again to keep her mind off of them. 

 

Today was friday and they have no classes for tomorrow. Yunhyeong invited them to go to an arcade nearby afterclass. Most of them said yes but Dani politely declined.

 

"Sorry but I have to say no for now. I have to run an errand after class." she apologetically said whilst pursing her lips.

 

"Oh. It's okay, Dani! You can join us next time!" Donghyuk beamed.

 

"That's too bad. Yunhyeong arranged this whole arcade thing for all of us to have fun together." Hanna sadly muttered as she rested her head on Junhoe's shoulders.

 

Everyone noticed Dani's change of mood. She was not as fiesty and high-spirited as she normally is. She would always decline their invitation to go out or just to eat somewhere, saying that she's going straight home to rest. Everybody was not so sure what made her that way but they are just hoping that everything is alright.

 

Junhoe surely did not fail to notice that either.

 

Dani packed her things up and walked out of school. She did not bring her car today since she wanted to take this oportunity to take things in a slower pace and just have the time to think about the stuff happening in her life. She was walking around Seoul, trying to look for an art supplies shop as she was planning to release her stress by attempting to paint again.

 

She stopped by an old stationary boutique. By the looks of it from outside, it seems like it was there for quite a long time now. The sky blue exterior paint looked a little bit tarnished and the iron window grills were slightly rusty. The front door was decorated with two small potted plants beside it. 

 

The bell rang by the door as Dani entered. She looked around and smiled. The placed does not even look that bad. In fact, it felt nostalgic. The smell of the new art and stationary materials was very sentimental to her. She remembered the times when she was back in L.A. and she used to go to this small art bar in the city. She is terribly longing for a mother material and homesickness wasn't making the situation any better.

 

She became dewy-eyed as she was walking around. It has been a while since she felt that warm inside—it was like she was back home with her mom in their balcony. They've got paint all over their arms and the everything was a mess on the floor but they were happy. 

 

She did not notice that an old lady approached her.

 

"How can I help you, dear?" the old lady asked, giving a warm smile.

 

Dani quickly wiped off the tears in her eyes and smiled back.

 

"I was actually looking for a canvas and some paint. halmeoni." 

 

The old lady nodded and signalled her to come with her to the counter and she obediently followed. She took out a plain brown box from under the counter and placed it on top. Dani tilted her head to the side and watched the lady open it slowly, and much to her surprise, she was definitely familiar with the things inside it.

 

It was an artisan painting set. It has everything that a simple painting needs. Dani took our her wallet and smiled at the lady.

 

"I will take this, halmeoni. How much is it?"

 

"I'll give this to you for free." 

 

Dani looked up to her with wide eyes. 

 

"A-are you serious? I mean, this probably costs a lot." 

 

The old lady nodded whilst pursing her lips, and reached for Dani's hand. 

 

"There weren't much students who pays a visit here anymore. I was quite surprised when you came.." The old lady trailed off.

 

"Then I saw how emotional you were when you were looking around here. I guess this probably means a lot for you." 

 

The old lady packed it up neatly and placed it inside a paper bag. Dani felt so grateful, she reached the old lady's hands and bowed.

 

"Take this. Take this as my gift to you. Just promise me you'll never lose the love and passion I see in you." 

 

Dani remembered how her mom used to always see right through her. She was a woman that did not want to be seen wounded so she would often cover her pain up with a smile or a cold exterior, but her mom knows her best. 

 

She bowed and genuinely smiled at the old lady before leaving the boutique.

 

"Thank you so much, halmeoni. I'll repay your kindness one day. I'll be sure to be back here soon." 

 

-

 

On the other hand, right after the school bell rang, the blonde-haired girl quickly slung her bag on her shoulders and made her way out of the class.

 

"Hanbin!" 

 

Looking quite shocked and realizing the owner of the voice who just called him, Hanbin turned his head to her direction.

 

"Oh Lisa. Do you need something?" 

 

The blonde-haired girl pursed her lips and gulped before talking,

 

"Do you have some time? Let's grab some coffee and talk." 

 

Lisa tried her best to force out a smile whilst clutching hard on the strap of her bag. It was so obvious that she's hiding something, Hanbin just does not know what it was but it looked important. He let out a deep sigh and nodded.

 

"Okay."

-

 

Dani

 

I was craving for a iced latte since this morning and luckily, there is a small coffee shop nearby the boutique. I haven't been feeling well both mentally and emotionally these past few days, and trust me, being an overthinker does not help. I noticed that there are no students from Seoul Arts here and probably it is because it's nearer to another university. 

 

This place looks so great despite it being small, but it was a little bit secluded from the main road, that's why I think there's only a few customers inside.

 

I entered the cafe and sat near the window, placing my things beside me then I decided to change into a much more comfortable clothing and put on my glasses inside the restroom. As I was back in my table, fixing my things, I heard my stomach grumble.

 

Urgh. I'm so hungry and tired. Well, there's nothing a good comfort food can fix. 

 

"Hello, I would like a baked lasagna and one iced latte, please." I said whilst looking for an exact change inside my wallet.

 

"Chanwoo-ah! One baked lasagna and one iced latte! Ppali!" 

 

"Yes, sir!"

 

Chanwoo?

 

I immediately looked up to where I heard that voice. 

 

Oh my god. I saw him with an apron and hair net on and he was preparing my order. He did not seem to notice me, he just looked like he was very focused on his work. I wonder if the guys knew that he worked here.

 

"Chanwoo!" 

 

I noticed his back figure froze up for quite a bit as he slowly turned his heels to my direction. A surprised looked was written all over his face the moment he saw me and I instantly went to his station after confirming that it was indeed him. 

 

"I did not know you were here, n-noona." 

 

Chanwoo was still obviously surprised and I don't know if he's happy to see me or not.

 

"Well, I did not know you worked here. I just happen to pass by here when I went to by some stuff from a boutique nearby."

 

I noticed him looking down whilst clutching to the plastic cup that he was holding. Wait a minute, does he not want to be seen here?

 

"Chanwoo-ah, does the guys know about this?" I asked whilst giving him a serious look.

 

"N-no." He muttered sadly.

 

"Why?"

 

"I just do not see the reason why I should tell them."

 

I mean, he has a fair point. But why though? Why does he look like he's defeated?

 

"Chanwoo. What's really up with all this? I feel like you're hiding something from me." 

 

He bit his lips and took a deep breath. 

 

"Let's talk after I finish making your order, noona. Please wait for me on your table."

 

-

 

I started painting just to kill time. 

 

The ambiance here is no joke. By the window, where I was seated, there's a beautiful garden view. The Plum Blossom Tree nearby got my attention and I think it's the perfect inspiration for my painting.

 

"One lasagna and one iced latte for the pretty... artist?" 

 

Chanwoo looked intrigued with what I was doing as he was staring at it intently whilst placing my orders down slowly on the table. My friends here were not familiar with my painting hobby so I was not that bothered with their reactions. I personally don't think I look like I'm capable of doing something like this. 

 

"I did not know you paint, noona." Chanwoo said, sitting down.

 

"I also don't know that you work here. So I guess we're even?" I gave him a playful smile and took a sip on my latte.

 

"So... Why do you want to hide this stuff from us?"

 

I saw him fumbling with his fingers and looking down. He really looked like he was thinking about a lot of things. 

 

Heavy things, to be exact.

 

"My family is having a hard time supporting me and my dreams, noona..."

 

I knew it.

 

I had a small hunch that it was going to be about something heavy, but I did not realize it was this deep.

 

"I've been working here for almost a month now. I specifically chose this place since there's hardly a student from Seoul Arts who goes here. That's why I was so surprised to see you here." 

 

He gave me a timid smile which I gladly returned. I did not talk so much since I was too focused on letting him get those burdens out of his chest, and at the same time, I wanted him to feel uncomfortable opening up to me with no judgement, 

 

"I'm not from a well-off family, noona. I'm not a trainee like my other hyungs whose supported by their company. I have to work for the money I have to spend for playing games online..."

 

His tears were starting to well up but I see that he's trying so hard to hold it back. 

 

"I got inside the university through a scholarship which I studied so hard for... I'm trying to work hard on everything that I do, thinking that if I live diligently and work hard enough, I will finally be able to support myself and my family."

 

I feel the pain in Chanwoo's voice. He was not in one of my classes so I don't have much chance to get to know him other than during lunch time in the cafeteria but Chanwoo was always this quiet and reserved kid who laughs at our friends' jokes from time to time. Seeing this different and vulnerable part of him is very surprising for me. It was like he was carrying this burden for a very long time.

 

I can hear the pain in his voice even though he's trying to sound like he was okay. I can almost see myself in him. 

 

I know he does not want anyone to pity him so I just tried to remain as casual as possible.

 

"You're doing well, Chanwoo-ah. Just don't forget to take care of yourself and rest okay?" 

 

"I'll promise you that, noona." 

 

Chanwoo smiled and I resumed eating my lasagna. We talked more for a little while as we get to share our personal struggles when it comes to doing well in school and terrifying demand of his desired career. I found out that Chanwoo was trying to make it as an actor as well. 

 

"Is that... Hanbin hyung?" Chanwoo was looking and pointing at something behind me. 

 

I turned around to check it and I could believe my eyes. Me and Chanwoo exchanged looks and nodded. We simply understand each other in other ways, I guess. We immediately hid ourselves behind the counter, and the cashier was eyeing us weirdly. Luckily, the manager left early. We stayed as quiet and low as possible since we're doing our best to eaves drop at their conversation.

 

"It has been months, Lisa. I thought it was pretty clear that what ever we had before already ended the moment we stopped talking."

 

Me and Chanwoo looked at each other with wide eyes.

 

'Thing? What thing?'I mouthed to Chanwoo

 

'I have no idea.' he answered as we continued to eavesdrop at their conversation.

 

"You were the one who stopped talking to me, Hanbin. It hurts since I really like you a lot and I want to give this a shot." 

 

I could sense the sadness and frustration in Lisa's voice but when I took a peak, I was saddened by the view of Hanbin looking tired. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter