Request

REPLY 2012
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER 59: Request

 

Saturday morning came, Hanna already had an appointment to go with Jonghyun. Jonghyun told her that they would go to Incheon, but he didn’t tell her exactly where he is going to take her away.

Hanna was preparing in front of the mirror, looking at the reflection of her outfit. This day is Hanna's first official date with Jonghyun, so Hanna really wanted to look perfect. She looked beautiful with natural makeup and half-tied hair, especially with her flower printed dress that matches the atmosphere of early summer.

Hanna exited the room with a smile. She came to his mother and said, "Mom, I want to go out with Jonghyun."

Her mom frowned, "With Jonghyun? Again? Are you dating?"

Hanna just replied with a smile.

But then, Grace commented, "Finally unnie wearing it."

Hanna frowned. "What do you mean?"

“That dress. You almost wear it when you went out with Minhyun oppa.”

Grace's comment made Hanna gasp. She immediately remembered that moment, when she was also busy dressed up to go with Minhyun, at that time they would just go to the zoo with Grace.

And not stopping there, her mom even threw a question that makes Hanna even more shocked. "So are you dating Jonghyun or Minhyun?"

Hanna confused what to answer. So she decided to make a little bow and went away, leaving the question unanswered.

 

Once she was out of the house, Hanna sighed. Why did I run? I can directly answer it. I'm Jonghyun's girlfriend. What's that hard to say? Hish.

Just as Hanna came out of the gate, Jonghyun came to her. "Oh, are you ready, Hanna?"

Hanna smiled and nodded. "Uh-uh."

"Wait a minute, I'll go inside to ask permission to your parents."

Hanna hastily grabbed Jonghyun's arm. "Ah, not necessary. I have asked permission from them, we can just leave."

"Really? Then, alright.." Jonghyun responded, but then he looked at Hanna and smiled "Hanna, I think I should say it.."

"Uhm? What?"

Jonghyun looked nervous as he said, "Today you're beautiful. Mmm, I mean you're beautiful every day, but today you’re more beautiful." Jonghyun said it shyly.

Hanna couldn’t help but blush. "Where did you learn such sweet talk, Jonghyun ah?"

"Why? I speak honestly.."

Hanna laughed. "Hish, don’t make me blushing more."

Jonghyun also laughed. But then he stopped and looked at Hanna deeply again. "Hanna .."

"Uhm?"

"W-would you be embarassed if we walked around holding hands?"

"Uh?" Hanna was surprised to hear it.

"Mmm, I mean .. actually yesterday when we went home, I wanted to hold your hand, but I'm afraid you mind."

"Geez, you're really .." Hanna clasped Jonghyun's hand tightly and said. "I don’t mind. No, I like it. I'm your girlfriend, Jonghyun ah.  I'm proud to be Kim Jonghyun's girlfriend." Hanna said it firmly.

And it was Jonghyun's turn to blush. "I got it. Then, let's go."

This time, Jonghyun and Hanna were walking with holding hands. As they both happy, sometimes they swing their hands like two little kids who walked together to school.

 

Unexpectedly, they met Minhyun on their way to the bus stop,

"Oh, Minhyun ah!" Jonghyun casually greeted Minhyun, while Hanna looked surprised.

Jonghyun approached Minhyun. Without letting go of Hanna's hand, he asked, "Where are you from?"

"Mini market, buying cleaners." Answered Minhyun while showing them the plastic bag.

"Aaaah .." Jonghyun nodded casually. Meanwhile Hanna looked so uncomfortable. She glanced at her own hands that was held by Jonghyun and bit her lips.

Trying to divert his attention from Hanna, Minhyun dare himself to ask, "Do you want to go out again?"

Jonghyun nodded. "Yeah, today we're going to Incheon."

"Incheon?" Minhyun looked surprised, but he knew where Jonghyun wanted to take Hanna. "Woah, then have a fun date." Minhyun somehow was surprised at himself for being able to say that words. But he got more surprised when hearing what Jonghyun say next.

"Do you want to come with us?"

Hanna was surprised to hear Jonghyun's offer. It was clearly seen that she was displeased by the idea.

"Ah, no .. Mom asked me to help her clean the house." Minhyun refused politely.

"Ah, well ... then we'll go first." With his hand still holding Hanna's hands, Jonghyun left.

Hanna was in total silent. She didn’t even dare to see Minhyun in the eyes.

She could only grumble in her heart, Why should we meet Minhyun? It’s really uncomfortable.

 

-00-

 

After riding bus for around an hour, they arrived at Incheon. The first place they visited was Sudoguksan Museum of Housing and Living. A remake of the streets of Sudoguksan area in the 1970s.

To reach the museum building, they had to start off with stairs. Lots of stairs. Jonghyun even asked Hanna, “Is it okay with you?”

“It’s fine, Jonghyun ah.. I can imagine it as a stairway to heaven.”

Listened to Hanna’s answer, Jonghyun laughed. He took Hanna’s hand again and slowly led her to climb up the stairs. As they walked, Jonghyun told that this place is called Dal-Dong-Nae, which is literally translates to Moon Village, because of the location high on the hilltops, where they could see the moon and the stars.

As they reached the top, they directly went inside the building. The museum had collected actual artifacts on display that gave visitors a sense of history of the place, as well as recreated what the village would’ve looked like. Houses were crowded close together, shabbily assembled, and the bathroom that could only fit one person standing. Everything made the visitor looked back at the history and felt sad but also respect, including Jonghyun.

“I used to think that my life is really miserable, Hanna. Having to be separated from my mom, studying at the day, working at night. But looking at these people, I should have been more grateful.” Said Jonghyun as he didn’t take his gaze away from the display of the poor Koreans in 1970. He continued, "I should be grateful to have a chance to go to school, having a decent place to live, especially friends with very good family who also supports me." Then he looked at Hanna deeply and said, "Thank you Hanna."

Hanna smiled a little as she told Jonghyun. "I know you are grateful to have us. But you should know that we’re also grateful to have you, Jonghyun ah."

Hanna’s words made Jonghyun smiled. No words can’t describe how grateful he is to have the Dobong-dong family.

 

They continued the trip to Chinatown. Because it is the only official Chinatown in Korea, Incheon Chinatown becomes the main tourist attraction.  No surprised, there they met many foreign tourists and also Chinese immigrants. Then they decided to have lunch at one of the restaurants which apparently being the place of an episode of Running Man filming location.

"I just know that Jajangmyeon is from China." Said Hanna in disbelief as she ate the jajangmyeon.

"I also just found out when doing the class project, you know when I had to search for information related to the ancient Korean as the theme of my class.”

Guessing that Hanna still confused, Jonghyun added his explanation. “That time. Do you remember when Minhyun selected to be the King class?"

"Ah, yes .." Hanna finally got what Jonghyun meant. But somehow she regretted her slow thinking, because it made Jonghyun needed to mention the name she didn’t want to hear.

"Time surely flies so fast, right? That festival was held at the end of our 2nd year. Now, we’re already in the half semester in our 3rd year. We’ll graduate soon, Hanna."

Hana could only nod to respond to Jonghyun’s words. Sure, she also felt that time flies so fast. So many things happened in those periods.

 

After eating jajangmyeon, they took a brief trip to Incheon Art Platform. A multiplex cultural arts center which was also become the filming site of Dream High, Hanna’s favorite drama. Hanna was really excited to be there. She asked Jonghyun to take photo multiple times here and there. After that, they went to Jonghyun's most awaited place.

"Aaaah, Cat Cafe." Hanna smiled as soon as she read the board in front of the cafe.

"Yes .." Jonghyun smiled broadly before taking Hanna’s hand to get inside the cafe.

"Welcome.. Woah, you come again." The woman in the counter was excited to see Jonghyun.

"Good afternoon, noona." Jonghyun greeted her casually.

"Where's your friend who used to come with you?"

"Today I didn’t bring him with me, noona..  I invited someone else."

Her gaze then moved to Hanna. "Oooh, your girlfriend?"

"Yes." Jonghyun answered firmly.

"She's pretty." She praised Hanna and it made Hanna bowing as a respect.

Jonghyun then asked Hanna, "What do you want, Hanna?"

"Mmm, Caffe latte."

"Caffe latte and Americano, please." Jonghyun told the woman in the counter and she proceed their order fast.

"Here's your drinks. Enjoy your time here."

Jonghyun took the drinks and they found a spot to sit.

"So this is the cafe you used to talk about?" asked Hanna as soon as she sat on the chair.

"Yup, I come here often with Minhyun. And we found it also because of class project.” Jonghyun gave Hanna her drink and continued saying, “Every time I go with Minhyun, we often find some interesting things." Jonghyun smiled as he said it, but Hanna felt uncomfortable with the mention of Minhyun.

But seemed Jonghyun didn’t notice, because then he mentioned that name again. "The cat you are holding is Sunny. It’s Minhyun’s favorite."

"Ah, really?" Hanna was surprised at the fact that she chose Minhyun’s favorite over many cats in the cafe.

"Looks like he likes you."

"Eh??" Hanna was beyond surprised to hear what Jonghyun was saying.

"Yeah, the cat seems to like you."

"Aaah.." Hanna heaved a relieving sigh. She must be really out of her mind for thinking negatively of Jonghyun’s words.

 

"Talking about Minhyun...."

 

 

Hanna sipped her Latte while listening to Jonghyun. As her heart really wanted him to stop mentioning Minhyun, at the same time he seemed really liked to talk about him all day.

Jonghyun continued, “Come to think of it, I spent half of my life with Minhyun. I always with him from elementary sch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter