Different

REPLY 2012
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 21: Different

 

After witnessing how happy Jonghyun winning the competition, Dongho couldn't help but to think about Kendo championship. He couldn't sleep and only think about it all night. He wanted to feel it too, the feeling of glory, the excitement and proud. So he decided to do anything to persuade his dad to let him join the championship.

"Dad, please let me join the championship." Asked Dongho, right after his dad went out from the bathroom in the morning.

Being ignored, Dongho tried to ask again before his dad went to work. "Dad, please let me join the championship."

Didn't give up, Dongho even went to school to meet his dad with the same intention.

Dongho's dad asked in disbelief as soon as he saw his son, "It's still the time for school break, what are you doing here??"

"Dad, please let me join the championship.", Dongho innocently answered.

With that, his dad hit Dongho's head. "Aack!"

"You better stop it, Dongho. If you ask me that question one more time, I'll ask the School Principal to drop Kendo as this school extracurricular." Mr. Kang said it firmly.

And his words shut Dongho up. He didn't know what to do anymore.

 

Feeling frustrated, he went to Minhyun's house. Minhyun's house is his priority to release his emotion because Mrs. Hwang always provided delicious foods - Mrs. Kwak's food is the 2nd delicious after Mrs. Hwang. And since Minhyun wasn't busy over the Olympiad anymore, he felt easy to spend time there.

While munching a slice of pumpkin cake Minhyun's mom made, Dongho whined about his dad, "What should I do Minhyun ah? I have tried to persuade him multiple times, but my dad even threatening me like that.”

Minhyun was silent. Half of his mind was thinking about the solution, but the other half was fascinated at how Dongho eating so keenly.

But then there was someone who answered Dongho's question. "Try to negotiate." Sujin answered as she took a slice of the cake and sat next to Dongho.

"Negotiate?" Dongho asked back in confuse.

"Yeah, basically everyone want to get benefit, right? So if you want to take something, you should have prepared something to give." Sujin explained before she wanted to take a small bite of the cake. But looking at Dongho’s confused face, she postponed eating the cake, and continued her explanation. "For example, Aaron oppa ever told me--" Sujin stopped talking as soon as she realized she slipped someone's name who shouldn't be mentioned in front of Dongho –she was scared that it might hurt Dongho’s feeling.

 But Dongho signed her to continue. "It's okay, noona. I'm fine, now."

"Ah, okay.” Sujin felt relieved. She continued the explanation, “Aaron oppa ever told me a story when he wanted to join young golfer tournament."

“Aah, that time, yeah I remember." Dongho responded fast to show he follow her story.

"You know that the golf tournament and also the lessons were quite pricy. So he asked his parents for funding support. But he didn't only ask them to give him money, but he promised them to get into top 3 rank in school."

Listened to that, Dongho directly argued, "Aaron hyung is smart. It's easy for him to promise that thing. Then what about me?"

Sujin explained more, "You don't have to promise the same thing, Dongho ya. You can promise anything. The point is to make your dad sure to give what you want, to make him feel that he'll get the benefit for something he will give to you. It's something like infestation."

Listened to his noona explanation, Minhyun laughed. "Dongho won't understand it, noona. Even after spending two years in science class, he still doesn't understand about photosynthesis, how could you expect him to understand about infestation?"

Dongho kicked Minhyun's leg without moving his stare at Sujin. He asked her, "Then, I should think what would I offer to dad so he can let me join the championship, right?"

"That's right.” Sujin replied firmly, like a satisfied teacher when her student give the right answer. She patted Dongho’s shoulder before getting up while saying, “Think about it carefully, Dongho ya. I hope you'll succeed."

 

-00-

 

Dongho was thinking how he should do the negotiation with his dad. But since he is a spontaneous person, he isn’t familiar with making a plan. Times flies so fast, it was already the time for his dad to come back from school.

Dongho directly got up as soon as he heard someone opened the front door.

When the figure he was waiting for coming, he started his move. "Dad.."

"What? Do you want to talk about the championship, again?" His dad replied so fast with annoyed tone.

Dongho approached him and started to beg, "Dad, I really really really really want to take part in the championship. I desperately want it, dad. I promise you I'll study harder, I'll spend more time at home studying, and even if you want me to take private school I will do it. I will do anything you want, dad. But please let me join the championship."

His dad was in disbelief to see his own son action. “Are you this desperate?

"Yes, dad. I feel like I can't continue my life if I hadn't join it." Dongho tried so hard to make an expression that his dad would pity him.

His dad was sighing. He was silent for a moment, staring at his own son’s pity face. Then he asked, "Do you really want to do anything I want?"

"Yes." Dongho replied fast.

His dad looked at Dongho in the eyes and said, "Then promise me.. to quit Kendo after you join that championship."

"W-what?"

His dad continued, "Leave Kendo or anything related to martial arts, and just focus on your SAT preparation. Can you do that?"

Dongho was dumbstruck. Is this what called a negotiation?

 

-00-

 

Dongho was walking out the house while bending his head down. He felt so limp. He doubted if he make a good decision, but it was happened. He couldn’t turn back the time.

Hanna who was from mini market doing an errand from her mom, directly approached Dongho as she saw him. "Dongho ya, is something happened? Why'd you look so down?"

Dongho looked up and his face was redden. "I said yes, Hanna yaaa.. I said yes.."

His fist was clenched so tight and he looked so angry at himself like he want to explode. He kicked the air as he screamed, “I couldn’t believe I agree with that, aaarrrghhh!”

Hanna was confused how to tame this angry tiger, so she could only run to Hwang residence and call a help from Optimus Hwang.

 

-00-

 

Dongho told Bumzu about his dad approval, and soon Bumzu p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter