Chapter 9:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you going to ask me what you want to know or are you just going to keep shooting me strange looks all day?” Yejin blurted out over breakfast.

She had noticed the glances Xiumin shot at her on the drive home last night, but she ignored them chalking up the weird behavior to his overly active sense of caution and to stay safe. Yet now as they sat at the table, a Western spread in front of them, she couldn't get over the periodical looks, or how his expression seemed to change when his gaze drifted over her face. She sat her fork down loudly on her plate, leaning back in her chair as she narrowed her eyes at him.

“Fine, then I'll ask,” he said calmly. Placing his knife and fork on his napkin he took his water, sipped it then sat it back down. Fixing his gaze with hers he bluntly asked, “Are you normally that easy to lure in?”

Yejin blinked owlishly at him. Did he just ask what she thought she heard? Her mind went blank for a moment as she struggled to make his question not what it sounded like. A few seconds later she was grabbing her glass of water and throwing the contents in his face. Not satisfied with his hair dripping into his eyes and his shirt slightly damp Yejin dropped the glass and reached for her still warm coffee and dumped it – mug and all – into his lap. Xiumin hissed out a curse as she got to her feet storming out of the kitchen.

Locking herself in her room she got prepared for the day with a fire blazing in her core. After trying on three different outfits Yejin settled on a pair of stonewashed jeans and a azure three-quarter sleeved sweater paired with a cute pair of black boots Min had picked out for her even though the brand wasn't on her list. With her hair in a French braid and her cellphone in her back pocket she left her room, temper still bubbling dangerously at the surface.

Xiumin was still in the kitchen cleaning up from her attack and breakfast that were sadly abandoned pancakes, sausage and cheese omelets. He lifted his head to see her pass, but she said nothing to him.

“Where –,” he began.

“ off,” she shot back.

Grabbing a set of keys from the bowl by the entrance she hurried to leave.

“Hey!” he snapped.

Whirling around to see him half way out of the dining room Yejin leered at him. Her hands clenching at her sides, the keys sharp edges digging into her right palm as she held back the urge to throw them at him too.

“I'm just going to the daycare.” Her voice nearly a scream as the words left her. With a short breath she forced it quieter as she went on. “Unlike what you might think I'm not going to hook on the corner. If you really think that low of me then I don't want you here when I get back. Send ten bodyguards, even if they are the worse ones you have, they'll be better than you .”

Without waiting for a response Yejin spun on her heel and left the apartment. The ring on her left hand felt like a slap to the face as she made her way to the elevator. She had thought he was a sensible and logical man with a witty and clever side, but that one questioned revealed so much about Xiumin that Yejin never would have thought to look for. He thought she was an easy girl, but that wasn't what had upset her the most. It was the implication that she was an absolute fool, a girl who didn't know the dangers of man and had no real idea what she was doing. He probably thought her getting to him and making the contract to kill Suho was just a fluke when it hadn't. She had worked hard to come up with that plan – yes with some help from Poseidon – but he only got as far as to give her the gun and tell her to find Xiumin.

Wiping at her eyes for the tears that hadn't fallen yet Yejin gathered herself as her elevator reached the lobby. She couldn't be a miserable, hurt mess when she met the kids for the first time that would only scare them off. Taking several deep breaths and slapping her face she stepped out of the elevator with her shoulders square, head held high and a small smile forced onto her face.

Chen had seen the whole thing go down, having watched the scene while eating a bowl of instant noodles, that were hanging from the corner of his mouth as his jaw dropped at the question. By the time Yejin dumped the coffee on Xiumin's crotch that definitely wasn't cool or pleasant Chen was gawking at the screen with his food forgotten on the desk next to his keyboard. He wasn't sure what was more surprising; Xiumin's “implicating” inquiry or Yejin's rare burst of anger in a physical form. The hacker had known her long enough to know that Yejin was a quiet brooder and for her to act on the negative emotion it had to be burning like a star inside her, and apparently Xiumin had achieved that in one question after a week and a half of living together. Chen didn't know if that impressed him or not.

When Yejin screamed at Xiumin as she was leaving for her volunteering at the daycare Chen decided that it was an impressive feat to have accomplished, but he did not want to be in his boss's shoes in any way, shape or form with Yejin seething at him.

As she went down to the lobby Chen followed her on one of his side monitors, the condo still pulled up on the main screen with the dining room in the center as Xiumin continued cleaning up breakfast. Once Yejin was inside the daycare Chen turned his attention to Xiumin who was angrily muttering to himself as he scraped the plates off into the trash and loaded them into the sink. The man with a mess of curly hair waited until after his boss changed out of his wet and coffee stained clothes before calling him to discuss the new issue at hand: his way with women.

“Yeah?” Xiumin nearly growled at him.

Chen pulled his cell away from his ear at the volume, but quickly put it back not wanting to be on the receiving end of his wrath when he took too long to respond.

“Uh, morning,” Chen stammered.

“What is it Chen?” Xiumin inquired with a bitter undertone.

“Well um,” he tried to find the right words.

“Is this work related?” he demanded.

“Yes and no,” Chen answered.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter