Chapter 40:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Black, knee length tulip skirt, violet, long sleeved silk blouse and gray wedge heeled ankle boots was how Yejin met Minseok when he came to pick her up for dinner. They shared a smile and a kiss before climbing into Minseok's Lexus and taking off to where ever he had planned for dinner. The first half of the trip was made in silence until Yejin recognized the route they were taking and turned to Minseok who just smirked at her knowingly.

“I thought we were having dinner,” she said with her brows dipped in confusion.

“We are,” he confirmed.

“Then why are we heading towards your place? Did you ask me to have dinner just so I would cook for you?” Her gaze narrowed at him. She wouldn't put it passed Minseok to pull that sort of trick, he had been asking her for her kimchi soup and three tier chocolate cake lately.

“No,” he replied innocently. She didn't fully believe him. “Can't I invite you to have an evening at home? We're both busy and tired, though I would love your cooking, I'd rather have your attention on me than the kitchen.” He flashed her that sweet smile she fell for eight years ago before turning back to the road as they neared Minseok's (more like their now) apartment.

Yejin hummed thoughtfully as she tapped her fingers against her knee. Minseok was being romantic and that made her heart soar, but not for long as her brain reminded her about the news she had to tell him. The thought alone took away her appetite and made her stomach flip-flop, or maybe that was the morning sickness (“Why call it morning sickness if it can happen at anytime?” she had asked Daehyun, who's brilliant answer was a mere shrug and tilt of his head).

“That's sweet, but what are we going to eat then? If I'm not cooking don't tell me you are,” she said in mock terror.

“God no,” he shook his head. “I had D.O. drop off dinner, since he still owes you for a certain bet.”

Yejin felt her expression widen with excitement at that recall. “Pork buns,” she sang loudly.

Minseok chuckled as she happily bounced in her seat.

Even if telling him doesn't go well you'll have the ultimate comfort food, her mind told her in a pleasant tone.

Yejin paid it no mind because she had to hold onto this ray of sunshine if she was going to make it through the night.

When they finally reached Minseok's place Yejin clung to his arm beaming at the love from her boyfriend and eagerness to eat her favorite food as soon as possible (it had been far too long). Minseok had a small, gentle smile on his own face as he lead her up from the underground garage. Once inside the apartment Yejin was greeted with the familiar scent of the delicious pork buns she loved so much and a figure standing in the living room.

At first Yejin paid it no mind but three steps into the foyer she froze ready to flea. Then a moment passed and Minseok didn't take action, which was very much not like him especially with an intruder in his home. He should have been across the room dealing with the man Yejin didn't recognize, or at the very least pulling out a weapon to defend them. When none of that happened her head whipped around to see why, but he had a composed expression as he closed the door behind them. What was going on? Was this even Minseok?

“Good D.O. let you up,” he boyfriend said to the man in the living room.

Yejin could only gape, she couldn't find her voice.

“Yes sir,” the man said with a respectful bow.

As he straightened Minseok stepped by Yejin and gestured for the man to follow. The stranger had a cluster of star tattoos peeking out from his shirt collar and his entire left arm was covered in ink from what Yejin saw as he followed Minseok down the hall to his office with a big black case in his hand. Gathering her wits Yejin kicked off her wedges (hating walking on carpet with heels) and moved to follow the two men with her face scrunched up in confusion. What date night had a third wheel?

“Set up in here,” Minseok directed him. “We'll be in shortly.”

“Got it.”

Once the man with the case was inside the office Minseok closed the door and turned to face Yejin with a proud grin on his handsome face. She was immediately suspicious.

“Who was that?” she questioned.

Minseok wrapped an arm around her waist and spun her round so they could move back towards the living room. She kept her eyes on his face as they walked, her hands twitching to hold her stomach in a protective way, so she forced them to stay at her sides.

“My tattoo guy,” he answered smoothly.

Now Yejin felt completely lost. Was this a dream because it made no sense? Were elephants going to start prancing through the room?

They stopped next to the black leather couch, Minseok perching on the arm as he rested his hands on Yejin's hips keeping her close as she stood directly in front of him. Crossing her arms over her chest she eyed her boyfriend to expand on that statement, because she knew he only had one tattoo, so why would he need a tattoo, so why would he need a tattoo guy. It wasn't a big tattoo, it was about three inches wide in diameter and in a simple gray scale of a snake swallowing its tall. The ouroboros was the symbol of the Circle and it sat on the lower part of Minseok's left shoulder blade. When Yejin had asked about it during their lock down at HQ months ago he had told he got it while he was in China when he officially began the Circle, apart from that one he wasn't much for tattoos. “They need a meaning if they're going to be on you forever,” he had said as she traced the snake with wide eyes with her finger.

“He's here for us,” he added when Yejin continued to stared down at him.

“Us?” She arched a brow. What was Minseok planning?

He nodded as his hands held onto her hips tighter like he we nervous she would flee at any moment which only made Yejin anxious in return. He pressed his lips into a firm line as he gazed up at her, since she stood just slightly taller than him as he sat on the arm of the couch, his eyes warm yet calculating as they flickered from feature to feature of her face. Yejin swallo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter