Chapter 28:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The days leading up to Yixing's break out weren't much different from those previous, though Minseok and Yejin had taken a step forward in their relationship. Tao was still bedridden, but that didn't stop Yejin and Baekhee from teasing the guy, which after the fifth day of him being at HQ he clearly warmed up to the sweet yet quirky medic, quite a lot to Yejin's observation. Tao stopped complaining as much when the girl arrived to give him his daily shot, and would even engage the redhead in conversation before she left, keeping her longer and longer after her job was done. Yejin was even able to slink away to the Info Center to see Minseok while the two were very obviously flirting and Yejin had to give props to her friend who couldn't even get out of bed for his brave endeavor.

Giggling to herself about the two she left behind Yejin knocked on the Info Center door waiting to be let in. Once the door was opened she hopped down the metal stairs looking about the room for the handsome face she came to visit. She spotted Minseok at the far end of the room by a screen that had pictures and an assortment of numbers constantly ticking by while the man spoke to a woman with a heavy braid down her back. She turned slightly to say something to Minseok and Yejin caught a glimpse of her countenance that sparked something inside the girl as she paused next to the large oval meeting table.

Yejin gnawed on her lower lip trying to place the woman's round face to a name, but all that came to her was shattered green and blue glass and Yejin couldn't even recall where that came from. She huffed in annoyance that her usual sharp memory was failing her at such a dumb time.

“Hey Jinjin.”

Yelping at the sudden appearance Yejin spun around with a fist raised to punch only to stop when her gaze met a wide smirking pair of eyes that she recognized. Taking a deep breath she lowered her hand as she stepped over to the table leering at D.O. who had been the one to speak. He looked far too amused for startling her as he leaned back in his chair, gesturing for her to take the one next to him. Sticking her tongue out like a child she did just that with her arms crossed over her chest.

“What are you doing here? Don't you have a job or something to be doing?” she muttered.

“Finished my rounds hours ago,” D.O. shrugged.

Cocking a brow at him Yejin watched as the man propped his feet on top of the table like he owned the place. “So you have nothing better to do than hang around here?”

He smirked. “Well, it can be fun.”

Rolling her eyes she mumbled, “God, you need a girlfriend.”

“I'm married.”

Yejin began to dismissively wave her hand, but her arm stopped midair as the words sank in. Her brows pinched together as she stared wide eyed at the man just nonchalantly relaxing in his chair. “What?” she gaped.

“What?” D.O. smirked with a shrug.

“You're married? For how long?” she questioned incredulously.

“It's been almost three years and we have a set of twins on the way,” he answered casually.

“You're ing with me.”

“Am not.”

Yejin just eyed the man, not even knowing how old he was or seeing a ring on his finger to confirm what he said was true. He looked too smug to see Yejin taken aback by the news. She bit her inner cheek trying to find a fault in D.O.'s calm demeanor, but he just folded his arms and leaned further back in his chair while she leaned towards him with a narrowed eyes.

“How far along is your wife?” she asked. If his answer sounded stupid Yejin would know that he was messing with her.

“She's in her second trimester. We had an ultrasound last week wanna see the picture?” he said as he shifted to reach into the front pocket of his jeans.

Distracted by the mention of baby pictures Yejin hopped out of her chair to hover at the arm of D.O.'s with wide expectant eyes. D.O. pulled his wallet out of his pocket and opened it to remove a piece of paper from one of the folds. Setting his wallet in his lap D.O. unfolded the paper and held it out to Yejin, who stared at the greyish blobs in the mostly black picture. D.O. had a proud grin on his face as she smiled fondly at the two heads she was able to spot in the photo.

“Holy , you're going to be a dad,” Yejin breathed out.

“Yeah, never thought I would be married with kids by twenty-four, especially in this line of work,” he muttered thoughtfully.

She glanced away from the ultrasound image to the man who was staring at it with sparkling eyes. “You're twenty-four?”

“Shocked?” he teased.

“Mm, not really. I'm twenty-three, it's just strange how different out lives are though we're only a year apart,” she replied honestly. Yet if things had gone differently in her life Yejin could have just as easily been in D.O.'s shoes right then. Married, probably already with a kid maybe another on the way, no college experience. She would have been a stay at home gangster's wife.

D.O. returned the photograph to his wallet, then the wallet to his pocket as he said, “From the looks of it we're not that different. Sooyoung was just as – if not more – stubborn about relationships than Xiumin. I chased the girl for two years before she finally agreed to go out with me.”

“What made her finally say yes?” she inquired curiously.

“My witty charm,” D.O. grinned.

Yejin rolled her eyes. “No, really.”

Huffing out a groan D.O. crossed his legs atop the conference table and gave her a half lidded look. “I planted a bomb under her car and threatened to blow her up if she didn't go on one date with me.”

“Psychopath,” Yejin gaped.

“It wasn't real. Just a prop,” he grumbled.

“But still.”

“I was desperate.”

“Poor Sooyoung.” Yejin shuffled back over to her seat and plopped down in it with a dramatic sigh. “What did you do when you proposed? Line her house with C4 and rig the ring box?”

D.O. clucked his tongue in annoyance. “No. She asked me, thank you very much.”

“Whoa, impressive,” she clapped patronizingly.

D.O. grunted.

The two sat in silence for several long moments, Yejin's gaze darting across the room to Minseok and the woman. They were deep in a serious conversation, pointing and gesturing to the screen before them. Yejin leaned back in her seat as she tried to remember where or at least when she had seen that woman before. Broken glass wasn't much to go on, maybe Tao would remember, he was usually always with her when crazy things happened.

“Jealous now?” D.O. inquired breaking their silence.

Yejin's gaze snapped back to the father-to-be – which was a strange thing to think of him as – to see an amused and playful grin on his face as he folded his arms behind his head. She arched a brow questioningly at him only to remember the last time she had been in the Info Center with D.O. and changed her expression to a half lidded look as she shook her head. “Not in the slightest.”

“Then why are you staring so intently at them?” he challenged.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter