Chapter 13:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yejin was through her third chocolate bar when Chen came scrambling into the kitchen wrapping her in a hug and explaining how sorry he was and how it was his fault because he was taking a nap. She patted his back and assured him it wasn't but Chen held on for a few extra heartbeats before eventually letting go and returning to his work. Yejin stayed in the kitchen debating whether or not to indulge herself in a fourth chocolate while she stared at the door waiting for someone else to come in. They never did.

At six o'clock Yejin was by the elevator waiting for Xiumin who told her to meet him there by text. They hadn't spoken for the rest of the day, hadn't seen one another since Chen's office, so now as she watched him walk down the long hall in a completely different outfit than the one he arrived in it left her a little puzzled. She wanted to ask about it, but there was tension between them again. As they made their way up in the elevator she wondered if the first week was just a happy fluke and that Xiumin and her just weren't meant to get along consistently.

The ride home was quiet and felt longer than usual. Yejin marched out of the garage elevator first but as she passed the hall that lead to the daycare a high pitched voice caught her attention.

“Noooonaaaaa–,” cried a familiar voice.

Turning around Yejin caught sight of little Chiwon charging down the hall towards her with pudgy hands held out clawing at the air. She scooped him up before he collided with her legs and immediate happiness washed over her at the sight of the child along with a sense of concern at the tears streaming down his face.

“Chiwon what's wrong?” she asked in caretaker mode.

“Woo nut here to pway,” he cried clinging to her blouse.

Yejin took a split second to decipher the babble language before hugging the boy and bouncing him on her hip. “I'm sorry. I had other plans today,” she cooed sadly.

“Play now,” he sniffled.

“Chiwon?” a deeper voice called out.

In the span of three seconds Xiumin was at Yejin's side while a familiar man with black hair and a beauty mark under his right eye stood in front of her. Yejin wasn't sure if he recognized her, but she remembered him even without the choker. He eyed the child in her arms with a protective stance like he was going to snatch Chiwon away. Then his gaze flickered to Xiumin and a recollection shown in his eyes.

“Chiwon we have to get going Jisoo-noona is waiting for you. I have to get back to work,” the man said. He held out his arms to take the boy but he clung tighter to Yejin.

“No Jisoo noona! Jongsim noona,” Chiwon whined.

“I'm sorry, he's been cranky all day apparently,” Yugyeom said.

“It's no problem,” Yejin said with a smile. “From what it sounds like it's partially my fault.”

“Really?” He looked down at the snuffling boy that had curled up against the woman's side, determined not to let go.

“Chiwon stay with Jongsim noona,” he said in third person.

“We can't burden her like that Chiwon,” Yugyeom huffed.

“Well,” Yejin cut in. Yugyeom raised a brow at her. “If you're looking for a babysitter I'd be happy to do it,” she smiled.

“What?” Yugyeom and Xiumin exclaimed in unison.

“Sweepover at noona's!” Chiwon cheered.

“Are you sure you want to do that?” Yugyeom inquired.

“I have no problem with it and Seungjae here has his own function to attend to tonight, so I would like the company,” she replied.

It wasn't a total lie, Xiumin was bound to head to Luhan's birthday party despite not having said anything to her, and Yejin would love a night of childish antics after the last few days.

Yugyeom looked to Xiumin like he was the trustworthy one there. Even though Yejin understood why –Luhan's workers would trust his business partner and close friend– she couldn't help but feel insulted seeing as she was the one with a year of child developmental care under her belt and Xiumin probably had several knives and a gun hidden in his.

“The kid's welcome at our place,” Xiumin said kindly, though very reluctantly.

“Well,” Yugyeom hesitated. “I won't be back until well past midnight though.”

“Sweepover!” Chiwon cheered again.

“Sleepover?” a new tiny voice said.

Before long there was Seungcheol and Munhye tugging on her jeans demanding to join the sleepover that Yejin agreed to. After talking it out with the other parents –and Yugyeom, who was Chiwon's older brother– the plans were set and the kids went off with their guardians to pack for the night. Yejin was beaming when she stepped off of the elevator with Xiumin on her heels. When she patted her pockets for the keys to the apartment she frowned realizing that she didn't have her set. Stepping away from the door she allowed him forward to unlock it.

Once inside she kicked off her shoes and hurried into the kitchen to contemplate what she should make with the kids there. It was too late for cake, but maybe she could put together snacks or something before they arrived. She was bouncing on her toes as she scurried about the kitchen making the plans.

“Are you sure you'll be able to handle three kids on your own?” Xiumin questioned from the doorway.

“Yup,” she hummed. She began pulling things out of a cupboard; sugar, cocoa powder, peanut butter, oats.

“You're really excited about this,” he commented almost in awe.

Moving to the fridge she pulled out milk and butler. “I grew up as an only child, all I ever wanted was a loud, lively home. Didn't you?” she said casually.

As she sat the milk and butter on the counter she peered sideways at Xiumin who was leaning against the wall of the arch watching her with crossed arms. “Never really thought about it. I don't really know,” he replied.

Yejin stopped by the cupboard with the mixing bowls pausing the making of her no-bake peanut butter cookies to meet Xiumin's gaze for the first time since this morning which felt like days ago now.

“You should go get ready for Bambi's party before you have three kids asking about every little thing you do. Also I didn't know any of Bambi's Special Boys lived here too,” she said.

“Neither did I,” he shrugged. “And when did I say I was attending his party?” he questioned.

“I and the rest of the underground world can basically assume you would be attending. You never miss it, best friends I guess.”

His gaze narrowed at her as he stood from the wall. “I'm on a job, and going out to a party would be unprofessional,” he stated.

“Xiumin,” she said with raised brows. “Go out. Leave me to my bubble of happiness. One night isn't going to hurt anything, even if it's only for a few hours.”

He sighed through his nose.

“You should really go get changed now before the kids show up. I've never done it but getting dressed while being hounded by toddlers sounds like a feat in of itself even for a tactical genius to handle,” she suggested.

“Call me if anything happens,” he said.

“I'm sure Chen will call you first,” she smiled.

Shaking his head Xiumin turned away from the kitchen and made his way down the hall. Yejin returned to her cookies with a pleasant hum to fill the silence. She was cleaning up after shaping the cookies when Xiumin stepped out adjusting his cufflinks. Closing the dishwasher she eyed the man admiring the sleek black on black suit with a striking navy tie and pocket square. His hair gelled into a perfectly natural looking mess and his leather boots shiny and new looking.

Meeting him in the living room Yejin reached out to him without a word and Xiumin took a step back away with a cautious expression. Sighing she lowered her hands slightly as she stepped towards him again.

“Your tie is crooked,” she informed.

“Ah,” he muttered.

Allowing her to straightened his neck wear he stared down at her, Yejin feeling the intensity of his gaze she worked quickly. Smoothing down the tie back into his jacket Yejin took a step back to admire her work before knocking at the door stole her attention. She dashed to it greeting their guests with a wide grin and two tiny figures scurrying by her legs into the apartment. Closing the door with two bags on her left shoulder Yejin saw Chiwon and Seungcheol standing in front of Xiumin starting up at him with dropped jaws. Biting her lips she tried not to giggle at the scene, especially the way Xiumin stared down at them like ticking time bombs were about to go off.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter