Chapter 12:

I Am My Father's Daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yawning wide like a waking hibernating bear Officer Byun Baekhyun made his way into his shared office with his partner and their new trainee. Two mugs of fresh kitchen coffee in his hands he handed one to his partner before dropping into his chair and propping his feet up on his cluttered desk with another long yawn.

“Okay let's start from the top, again,” Chanyeol said. He sipped at the coffee Baekhyun brought him as he turned to their trainee.

Baekhyun gulped down a mouthful of heavily creamed caffeine as he focused on the twitching newbie. He ran his hands through his light brunet hair sending it into disarray as he looked up from the three files he had splayed across his desk. Swallowing nervously twice he smoothed his hair back into place as his gaze flickered between his superiors. Baekhyun watched him closely.

“So why did VIXX pull out of Bambi's territory?” Jongin began.

“That's not the top question,” Chanyeol jumped in.

“Then why has Bambi pulled in his girls?” Jongin tried instead. His gaze shifting to the middle file with a blurred side profile picture and a list of addresses about the city.

“Bingo,” Baekhyun said. Pointing at Jongin he took another sip of coffee before adding, “And why is that?”

“It's the same reason there's been so much activity in the 3.6.5. regions,” he replied.

“Which is what exactly?” Chanyeol questioned.

Jongin's gaze moved to the left most file scanning something that Baekhyun couldn't quite see from his lounging position. After a moment he looked up again with a perplexed expression.

“We've been talking about it offhandedly the last few days, but what if Poseidon really isn't calling the shots anymore,” he suggested. The two higher ranking officers exchanged brief glances before turning back to the anxiously eager kid. “I mean I've read through his file like twelve times, but nothing that's been happening in the last week or so seems like his handiwork. Pumping business through the Bangtan District, stomping through Bambi's and half the Circle's territories, carelessly sending men out on hits. These are not the carefully calculated movements of the city's most notorious gang leader and definitely not the actions of someone who has been in the business for thirty plus years,” he explained solemnly.

Chanyeol was mid sip as he nodded in agreement while Baekhyun was drumming his fingers against the side of his mug eyeing the younger man. He was smart, very clever and had an eye for detail; Baekhyun never would have agreed to take the man on if he had given off that impression the first time they met. Instead Kim Jongin had showed up to the interview like an absolute idiot, cracking jokes and with a big goofy grin on his young face which had completely blindsided Baekhyun when he started working with him the following week.

Removing his feet from his desk Baekhyun set his coffee on a stack of unsolved files as he looked to Chanyeol who seemed impressed. Of course he did, Chanyeol had immediately taken a liking to Jongin the moment they took the boy under their wings, more so Chanyeol's than Baekhyun who wanted to flap away like he hadn't made this mistake.

“But it's definitely 3.6.5. making the moves,” Baekhyun countered.

Jongin nodded quickly as his hands flew through the left file flipping through several sheets of paper before pulling out a Post-It Note that he held up in victory. “It is and I think Poseidon's been dethroned,” he stated.

“What's that?” Chanyeol pointed to the yellow square of paper stuck to the guy's pointer finger.

“The real name of the man who has been terrorizing Seoul for nearly forty years,” he smirked proudly.

Chanyeol jumped to his feet almost wearing his coffee in the process. Shaking off his hand of the molten liquid Chanyeol sat the mug down before hurrying over to Jongin's desk to see the Post-It Note. Baekhyun on the other hand just stared with wide eyes, unsure of what to do.

“How'd you swing that?” Chanyeol asked, almost demanding.

“Suspicious body rolled into the morgue last week around the same time 3.6.5. started their strange movements. Looked into it and there is only a birth certificate, short juvenile record and then nothing as he falls off the face of the world apparently. He fits every description of Poseidon we have on file, and the kicker,” Jongin said with a smug grin. “Man has one of the oldest 3.6.5. trident tattoos to date.”

“And that makes this man Poseidon?” Baekhyun challenged flatly.

Jongin's smile faded and Chanyeol stopped his happy bouncing as they turned to stare at him. He huffed as he scratched the back of his neck trying to remain casual yet businesslike while sitting back in his chair.

“It's a lot of evidence pointing that way,” Chanyeol said.

“Not just that, but I have an intense gut feeling about this guy. I'm pretty sure it is, or was, Poseidon,” Jongin said honestly.

Baekhyun drummed his fingers against the armrests of his chair as he looked between the two other officers. His mouth pinched shut as the silence grew about the room as Jongin fiddled with the sticky note. Releasing a long puff of air he stood and joined his partner by Jongin's desk with a relaxing expression.

“Okay let's hear this name, and put some more elbow grease into looking into him. If we can prove it's Poseidon then we can get the funding together to take better action,” Baekhyun said.

With his returning smile Jongin held out the square to his superiors to read. Baekhyun's eyes burned the name into his mind before he asked for the man's autopsy report and sat down at his desk to review it.

Across the room retrieving his cooled coffee Chanyeol made one simple comment before returning to the pile of paperwork he had to fill out. Jongin organizing the three files before him.

“Yoon Seokjin doesn't sound like the name of a high class crime lord.”

After a long awkward paused Yejin managed to worm the attention off of her and get Luhan bragging about it being his birthday. Yejin at one point caved to his begging to serenade him with Happy Birthday, while Xiumin attempted to get work done at his desk –which wasn't much with their shenanigans. She even poked fun at Luhan's pretty face that he was proud of yet at the same time insisted he was handsome and manly. Yejin challenged him to prove it and he took it. Luhan hauled her onto his back marching them out of Xiumin's office, who was complaining about the noise. Yejin laughed as she wrapped one arm around his shoulders and used her other hand to point towards the stairwell down the adjoining corridor.

“If you can make it to the bottom floor with me up here I'll take back what I said about you being pretty,” she offered.

“No problem. You'll be eating those words darling,” Luhan smirked.

“We'll see Bambi,” she hummed.

He kicked the door open to the stairs with ease and began the long journey down to sub-basement level six. Yejin bit back the cackles that wanted to explode out of her as Luhan began panting from the effort halfway down the stairs, and by the end she had her face buried in the back of his neck shaking with the silent laughter at his heavy breathing and mildly sweat dampened back. He stopped just inside the door of the bottom floor trying not to show how exerted he was from the journey.

“There done,” he announced.

Yejin sputtered with giggles into his back.

“Stop laughing! There's nothing funny,” he whined.

He released her legs allowing her to slide off of his back and stand. Yejin clamped a hand over in the attempts to control the laughter, but the humorous tears pooling in the corners of her eyes and the way her body trembled gave away her failed tries. Luhan glared at her like a bitter four year old instead of a man of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter