Picture 6: A single smile is enough to light up my day

Polaroid

Kyungsoo groaned as he heard the knocks on the door multiple times. He raised his head from his pillow (actually Chanyeol's chest) as the knocks grew more and more desperate. Kyungsoo sat up, his eyes half lidded as he tried to get a grip on his surroundings. The knocking persisted on.

"ALRIGHT ALRIGHT. IF YOU KNOCK ON THAT DOOR ONE MORE TIME I WILL SHOVE A SPATULA UP YOUR ."

"Kyungie?"

Kyungsoo turned around to see Chanyeol sitting up, leaning his chin on Kyungsoo's shoulder. His eyes were still closed and he looked so adorable, his hair all ruffled up in different directions.  "Aw, don't worry about it babyboy, go back to sleep." Kyungsoo cooed as he nuzzled Chanyeol's nose. Chanyeol smiled lopsidedly before falling backwards, snoring as soon as his head hit the pillow.

Kyungsoo stared adoringly at his extremely cute, tall boyfriend before standing up. He wrapped Chanyeol's fluffy sweater cardigan around his body as he shuffled to the front door. He threw it open, glaring at the visitor, "DO YOU KNOW WHAT ING TIME IT I- oh...Sehun?"

Sehun, for the first time in his life, looked ruffled and tired. He was the type of person to make himself always look presentable. To outsiders, Oh Sehun had no weaknesses. But now he looked confused. His hair was all messed up and he had dark circles under his eyes. Kyungsoo frowned as he stepped aside, letting Sehun in, "What are you doing here?"

"I have to ask you something."

"W-what? Sure, do you want to come in?"

"Luhan."

Kyungsoo snapped his head to stare at Sehun. This wasn't what he was expecting, at all.

"Luhan? What about him?"

Sehun opened his mouth to say something but was cut off by Chanyeol lumbering into the living room. A blanket was wrapped around his tall lanky frame, making him look like a red headed burrito. Kyungsoo turned and walked towards his boyfriend, leaving the door open for Sehun. He fussed over Chanyeol, running his fingers through the latter's hair as he tried to convince him to go back to bed. Sehun didn't have time for this.

"Is Luhan really...."

Sehun didn't finish the sentence. Kyungsoo's silence answered his question. Chanyeol didn't catch on. It was one of his....perks Kyungsoo calls it, always being five and a half steps behind.

"Mute, yes. He can't speak, he understands Korean and Chinese perfectly, he knows sign language." Kyungsoo curtly stated, "Now if you please, it's almost two in the morning and we have morning classes." Sehun nodded, taking note of Kyungsoo's harsh tone. He turned around, slowly shutting the door behind him.

"Sehun?"

Sehun froze, the door was only inches open.

"Keep it a secret."

Sehun blinked, staring at Kyungsoo's determined expression, "Its not mine to tell."

Kyungsoo smiled, "Thank you, good night Sehun."

"Night Kyung."

Kyungsoo walked back to the bedroom, turning off all the lights before he closed the door. He could see Chanyeol sitting on bed, illuminated by the moonlight streaming through the windows.

"Is it true?"

"What is baby?" Kyungsoo slipped under the covers, gently pulling Chanyeol back so he was laying down as well.

"Luhan. Is he really...he can't talk?"

Kyungsoo sighed heavily. He didn't mean for so many people to find out. But this was Chanyeol. He couldn't lie to him. Kyungsoo rested his head on the taller's chest, closing his eyes as he felt Chanyeol's arm around his waist.

"Kyungie?"

"Yes. Luhan is mute. I figured it out the second day after classes started. But Chanyeol, you have to promise me, you can't tell anyone." Chanyeol nodded. The room fell silent after that. Kyungsoo felt himself being lulled to sleep by Chanyeol's rhythmic breathing, "Hey Kyungsoo."

"Hmm."

"Can I learn sign language with you?"

Kyungsoo smiled. He propped himself up and stared at Chanyeol. The latter was looking at Kyungsoo with a pleading expression, his large brown eyes seemed to be shimmering. Damn, Kyungsoo's got it bad. He nodded, leaning down to press their lips together. Chanyeol grinned as he threaded his fingers through Kyungsoo's short black hair. He pulled him down to further the kiss. Kyungsoo pulled away a few minutes later, panting for breath, "Of course."

Chanyeol beamed. 


 

Xiumin stared worryingly at Luhan who seemed to be restless. It was seven in the morning and it seemed like the honey blonde male hadn't slept a wink the night before. Luhan paced the living room, walking into the kitchen, reappearing a few seconds late with an empty mug. Xiumin couldn't bare to watch this anymore, "Luhan...."

The said male kept pacing, too deep in his thought to realize that Xiumin had just called for his attention. "Lu!"

Xiumin sighed and grabbed the pacing male by the shoulders. Luhan turned to him and Xiumin's gaze softened when he noticed how teary Luhan's eyes were, "Oh Lu..."

Luhan pulled himself out of Xiumin's grasp and desperately signed something to Xiumin, who could barely keep up with what he was saying, "I'm sacred Xiu! What if he figures it out? I've heard rumors about him. They say he's mean! His dad owns the university and is the head dean. What if he tells everyone!? I'll be the laughing stock of this school!"

Xiumin pulled Luhan into a tight hug, "First of all, breath Lu. Sehun won't do that! You're over thinking this. And even if he does tell, who cares?! I'll be right here, by your side."

Luhan smiled softly as he wrapped his arms around Xiumin's neck, burying his nose in the crook of the older's shoulder, "And besides, if all hits the fan...who's got your back?"

Luhan smiled to himself as he gently poked Xiumin's back. Xiumin tightened the hug, "That's right, me. And judging how Kyungsoo was smiling and laughing with you the other day, I bet he's got your back too." Luhan pulled away from Xiumin, smiling warmly at the shorter male. Xiumin didn't need Luhan to sign what he was thinking.

"You're welcome Lu. Remember, head held high and text me if anything happens."

Luhan nodded and grabbed his backpack. He threw one last look at Xiumin before walking out the door.

Luhan didn't have psychology until after lunch so he could avoid Sehun until then. He shared a couple classes with Jongin but in Luhan's eyes, Jongin was harmless. Besides Kyungsoo had already told him about how he was Jongin's temporary obsession. Give it a couple weeks and Jongin will be chasing the next cutest thing. But Luhan wasn't going to lie, he enjoyed Jongin's company. Unlike Sehun, Jongin was very outgoing and funny. He always tried to get something out of Luhan. But Luhan enjoyed seeing the exasperated look on Jongin's face as he refused to utter a word.

"Hey angel!"

Luhan was snapped out of his thoughts when he saw Jongin walk towards him. Remembering what he planned to do today, Luhan pulled his Polaroid camera out of his backpack, beckoning to Jongin. Jongin picked up the pace until he was standing right behind Luhan. Luhan rolled his eyes as Jongin threw an arm around him and raised the Polaroid camera in the air. "You wanna take a selfie with me?" Jongin asked, eyeing the white camera in Luhan's pale hands. Luhan nodded and Jongin grinned, "Well why didn't you say so?! Smile!!!"

Click.



 

"Luhan!"

"LUHAN!!"

"LUHA-oMPH."

Luhan turned around as he heard a loud crash behind him. He saw Chanyeol sprawled out on the floor, his books spread out across the floor. Luhan glared at a couple people who laughed and helped the poor giant up. "Thank you!" Chanyeol said as Luhan handed him his thick black framed glasses. Luhan smiled as Chanyeol pushed the glasses higher up on his nose. The latter looked so adorkable. Like an oversized child. Luhan scooped up Chanyeol's textbooks and held them as they started walking.

"Soo was busy today so I was wondering if you could help me with my project? It's just a quick sketch."

Luhan gave Chanyeol a side look, making a motion with his hand for Chanyeol to continue his explanation, "I just need to sketch a couple profiles of you, that's all!"

Luhan nodded and smiled. Chanyeol returned it with his own wide grin, "Great! Let's go to my studio." Luhan followed the tale male as he excitedly talked about his studio, "And I had so many paintings and supplies that I had to keep some in Sehun and Jongin's dorm and Sehun almost lost it. So he got his dad to turn a dorm room into a studio for me."

Luhan nodded and Chanyeol unlocked the door, pushing it open, "Watch out, there's a lot of stuff you could tri-"

Chanyeol was abruptly cut off by his foot being caught on a cardboard box. Luhan fought back a smile as Chanyeol steadied himself, "-trip on. I'm not the cleanest person."

Luhan patted his back reassuring and slid off his backpack. Chanyeol on the other hand shoved everything off his counter and patted it, "Hop on."

Luhan nodded and jumped up, sitting on the high counter top. He brought up his legs, sitting crisscross as he tried to make himself comfortable. He could hear faint screeches of something being pulled. Chanyeol came into view, carrying a wooden canvas. It was crude, and had a mix of three different types of woods. Chanyeol caught Luhan's expression and laughed, "The boys made this for me for my birthday last year. Actually it was mostly Jongin. Kyungsoo wanted to buy me an expensive one and Sehun really didn't care."

Luhan grinned as he imagined a bored looked Sehun holding a hammer with two fingers, pure disgust on his face as he watched Jongin try to nail two pieces of wood together. Chanyeol started humming as he thumbed something on his phone, he set it down and seconds later music started playing from a speaker hidden under all the mess. Chanyeol grinned at Luhan as he pulled out his sketchbook, "I haven't seen my speaker in months. My phone just automatically connects so I never bothered to find it." Luhan rolled his eyes playfully and tried to turn his face away from Chanyeol, allowing the male to see his side profile.

"Luhan."

Luhan turned and almost fell off the counter when he saw Chanyeol shakily sign something, "Sit. No matter how."

Luhan bit his lower lip as he avoided Chanyeol's gaze. His eyes started to water as he chanted over and over again in his mind "Not now, not now, not now."

"Luhan?"

Chanyeol's voice was gentle. Luhan knew he meant no harm but how could Kyungsoo do this to him? How long before Kyungsoo tells someone else, and that person tells other.

"Kyungsoo didn't want to tell me, he had to. Sehun asked."

Luhan's head snapped up. Sehun?

Chanyeol pulled out a pencil case from his backpack. He rummaged through it, trying to find the supplies he needed, "It was like two in the morning. He came to Kyungie's dorm and asked. I heard them. But he doesn't mean to tell anyone. Sehun might not seem it, but he's a gentle person. He was just got hurt one too many times."

Him getting hurt at all is one too many times.

Luhan's eyes widened when he heard that thought pop up in his head. Chanyeol sighed, "Anyway, I know you want to keep it a secret, even though. In my opinion, you don't need to! But, Kyungsoo, Sehun and I....were your friends."

Luhan's kicked puppy expression morphed into a small smile as he thought about what Chanyeol said. Chanyeol decided to make use of the adorable expression and started sketching quickly. Of course they had Luhan's back, what were friends for?! Chanyeol finished his series of thirty second sketches before asking Luhan to sit in a comfortable position, "This one is a thirty minute one so get comfy!" Chanyeol said, yanking out a huge piece of paper, the charcoal piece still in his hand.

Luhan watched as Chanyeol wiped his face with the back of his hand, wincing when he smudge black graphite on his cheek. Chanyeol didn't seem to mind as he set the timer for thirty minutes. 

Luhan hopped off the counter and walked slowly to an armchair. He threw himself in it, swinging his legs over the arm of the chair as he leaned against the other side. Chanyeol grinned as he started sketching, "You're really pretty Lu...can I call you Lu? Like Kyungsoo's really handsome, in such a manly way but you somehow incorporate feminism with a masculine feel. How do you do that?!" Luhan smiled to himself as Chanyeol kept talking, asking questions as if Luhan could answer.

Maybe having friends wasn't too bad.