Picture 4: What are friends for

Polaroid

Double Update: Make sure to read chapter 3 first!!


"Wanna go somewhere quiet?"

Luhan looked up to see Kyungsoo standing up next to him. The latter was still speaking in Chinese to him.

The bell had just rung and everyone shot out of their seats. Luhan lingered behind, with the small possibility that Kyungsoo would leave with his boyfriend but no such luck. With a kiss and a pat on the back, Kyungsoo sent the taller male off to go grab some snacks.

Luhan nodded defeatedly, he might as well get this over with quickly, like ripping a bandaid off. Kyungsoo accompanied him as they walked to Luhan's dorm, which was the closet to the building they were in. Kyungsoo made small talk, explaining to Luhan all the festivals and clubs the university had. He talked a little about himself, about Chanyeol.

Luhan found himself relaxing as he listened to the wide eyed male talk. By the time Kyungsoo finished telling the story about how he and Chanyeol met, they were standing in front of Luhan's dorm. Luhan knew Xiumin would be out that afternoon, he had dance. So it was just him and Kyungsoo.

Luhan quietly shut the door behind Kyungsoo as the latter walked into his dorm, "Wow I forgot how small these were."

Luhan's eyes widened. Kyungsoo seemed to get what Luhan was thinking because he laughed, "Yea this university is loaded. Every rich parent makes huge donations to make sure their child lives in comfort."

Luhan nodded as he slid his backpack off his shoulder and onto the sofa. He walked to the mini kitchen and held up a coffee mug. Kyungsoo shook his head, "Just water please."

Luhan nodded and quickly filled up a glass of water, bringing it to Kyungsoo, "So Luhan, what's really up?"

Luhan's eyes widened at the sudden language shift.

"I know you understand Korean, can you tell me why you haven't said a word since we met?"

Luhan looked down at his lap.  I wish I could tell you. He thought to himself. Kyungsoo took the silence as an answer.

"You can hear everything I'm saying and you're not just lip reading because I saw you flinch when Jongin yelled in your ear. You can understand Chinese and Korean but you won't tal-....unless....you can't talk at all."

Luhan's eyes widened, b with tears as he grasped onto Kyungsoo's hands. He brought them to his forehead, pleading silently. If the latter was smart enough to figure out Luhan's secret, he would understand what Luhan was asking him. Kyungsoo pulled away slowly, still keeping his hands around Luhan's, he pulled the honey blonde male into a tight hug, "I won't tell anyone....don't worry."

Luhan smiled widely, his heart warming as Kyungsoo wiped a stray tear that escaped Luhan's eye.

"Can I take a picture?"

Kyungsoo shrugged his shoulders, "I'm sorry, I don't understand sign language. I'll try to learn though."

Luhan grinned as he shook his head, indicating that it was okay. He acted out taking a picture and Kyungsoo's eyes narrowed as he tried to figure out what Luhan wanted, "You...you want to take a picture with me?"

Luhan nodded excitedly, rummaging through his backpack. Kyungsoo watched as the mute male tugged out his white Polaroid, hugging it to his chest as he made his way back to Kyungsoo. He sheepishly sat next to Kyungsoo, holding the camera an arm's length away.

Two smiles and click.

Another one for Luhan's memories.

His second friend.





 

"Wait so you take pictures every time you think you made an important memory?"

Luhan nodded as he placed the four huge photo books on the table. They landed with a loud thump, rattling the glass of water which was sitting at the edge of the table. Kyungsoo noticed and scooped it up, drinking the last of the water before placing it in the sink.

"Can I see some?"

Luhan nodded and cracked open the book at the bottom labeled 2011-12.

"Is this when you first got the camera?" Kyungsoo pointed at the very first picture. It was of Luhan standing in front of a mirror. He held the camera to his eye, covering half his face but Kyungsoo could recognize his large doe eyes. Instead of his blonde hair, Luhan sported black hair, shaggy and sticking up in all directions. Luhan nodded, covering the picture. Kyungsoo chuckled, "No! You look cute, like a little shaggy puppy."

Luhan slammed the book shut which caused Kyungsoo to laugh even louder. The two passed the afternoon flipping through photo books until Luhan heard the rattling of the door unlocking. He looked up to see Xiumin walking in, all sweaty and gross. His hair was wet and pushed back. His eyes widened when he saw Kyungsoo in the living room. Kyungsoo smiled when he caught sight of the sweaty male. Xiumin on the other hand froze. He looked at Kyungsoo and then at Luhan, then back at Kyungsoo.

"I...um...Luhan can I speak to you for a moment?"

Luhan nodded and got up. He glared at Kyungsoo and flipped the photo book over.  Kyungsoo chuckled, knowing what the lithe male was implying. "Alright fine Luhan, I won't look."

Luhan grinned and followed Xiumin to their bedroom. Kyungsoo smiled to himself as he took out his phone. Oh, poor naive Luhan. Kyungsoo clicked a picture of the younger Luhan and sent it in the group chat. He got replies immediately. Most were from Jongin gushing about how cute Luhan was.

Xiumin on the other hand was freaking out. He started to speak out loud, but realized that Kyungsoo could probably hear him and switched to sign language, "Kyungsoo? Really."

Luhan pouted, "I trust him. He seems like a nice guy."

"Alright Lu but please be careful. Some people in this college can be very mean."

Luhan smiled and patted Xiumin's shoulder. He would have given the older male a hug but he was just too sweaty, "Thank you Xiumin but I think it's time that I stopped caring so much about what other people think."

Xiumin grinned proudly, "That's my boy."

Luhan winked, "Now excuse me, I have another memory to capture." He signed, motioning to the Polaroid camera in his hand.

Xiumin just chuckled.