Picture 20: Empty Threats? I don't think so

Polaroid

Oh you guys are so gonna hate me


Sehun frowned as he watched his smaller boyfriend look out the café window. He wasn't even paying attention to the book in front of him. His ice cold milkshake went lukewarm and his phone kept buzzing. Luhan ignored it all. He just stared out the window. Sehun had half the mind to go over to him and smother him in kisses but he knew all Luhan needed was time. So Sehun left the latter alone. Luhan knew Sehun was watching him. The black haired male was very obvious but Luhan was grateful that he wasn't joining Luhan.

He didn't know what to say.

It had only been a week since Xiumin left and the dorm is eerily quiet. No excited dancing around the living room, no insanely loud music playing from the brown haired male's speakers, no late night snack raids and no heart to heart talks. That's what Luhan needed most.
Xiumin texted him, sending pictures of him and Injeon from the resort they were staying in. Luhan was glad Xiumin liked it there. 
But the messages from the unknown number were getting more frequent, threatening to expose Luhan or even Jongin. Luhan didn't even know what Jongin did but he didn't want it coming out.

He just didn't know what to do.

But Luhan did have a suspect in mind.
Juni.

The girl was insane. She actually choked Luhan and walked away laughing. There was no way she was in a right state of mind. And she seemed obsessed with Sehun. Luhan made it a point to avoid her, and he's been doing a fairly good job. He hasn't seen her since the incident.

Sehun was also still interrogating Luhan about that as well. The bruises have faded and Luhan didn't need to cover them with foundation and concealer any longer. Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, Jongin...they were all held in the dark about this. They already had a lot on their plate.

Jongin had a major showcase coming up, where he was going to preform as a soloist in front of entertainment company scouts. Chanyeol had his major art show opening in four days and Kyungsoo was on the brink of finishing his first novel. Luhan couldn't possibly bother them on this mundane issue.

Luhan's phone buzzed loudly. The pink haired male picked it up, no matter how much he didn't want to.

Unknown number: okay I'm done playing games

Unknown number: there's two plane tickets sitting on your kitchen counter, one leaves tomorrow and the other leaves the day after that

Unknown number: leave tomorrow and all your secrets will be safe

Unknown number: but if you stay.... I'm warning you, I won't be happy

A cold shiver ran through Luhan's tense body.






 

Luhan woke up the next morning, breathing heavily. Muki whined as she gently nuzzled her nose into the side of Luhan's body. The pink haired male smiled sadly and pet her, running his hands through her brown and black fur. He turned to see the dreaded plane tickets sitting on the edge of the table. He had checked the timings of the plane for that morning, it departed at 7:30. Luhan turned to his alarm clock.

8:15

Luhan yawned widely as he stretched out his body, much like a cat. He fumbled for his phone and unlocked it, smiling when he saw texts from Sehun and Kyungsoo.

Tol mean bean🖤: morning baby, let's get coffee before our 11:00 lecture 

Luhan smiled and typed a reply.

LuLu : ofc, meet at the regular café in twenty?

Sehun was quick to reply

Tol mean bean🖤: can't wait

Kyungsoo had also sent early morning texts. And when Luhan said early morning, he meant three o'clock early morning.

KyungDoo: iM DONE

KyungDoo: IT ONLY TOOK ME TWO YEARS BUT IM DONE

KyungDoo: I still have to edit and find a publisher but the hard work is done

LuLu: omg! I'm so proud of you Kyungie! Let's celebrate with dinner, the five of us

Luhan was just about to put his phone away when he got one last text.

Unknown number: you asked for it, boy

Luhan wasn't sure what that meant but he didn't receive any texts after that. He groaned. These text messages were really killing him. His head was pounding but Luhan got up, chucking his phone into the abyss of his backpack. He trudged into the kitchen where he gave Muki her breakfast. Luhan quickly ran to the shower and came out, freshly dressed. He patted Muki's head goodbye and left with promises of taking a walk when he came back.

Luhan hitched the backpack higher on his shoulder and walked towards the elevator. There, he saw two girls waiting. They looked familiar, maybe in one of his classes. But he recognized them because they never failed to greet Luhan with a happy smile and wave.

But now they were looking at him in disgust and pity. They whispered among themselves. The elevator opened and Luhan stepped in, but the girls just started at him.

He was holding out his arm, to keep the elevator from closing but these girls refused to move from their spot. Luhan tilted his head ever so gently and the girl shifted uncomfortably, "We'll just take the next one." One of them sneered. Luhan just pulled his arm back slowly, giving them a confused look. The elevator doors slowly slid shut but before they closed completely Luhan heard a comment. It was a whisper, barely reaching his ears but when it did, it felt like someone screamed directly into his ears.

"Mute."

 

Luhan grabbed at his backpack tighter, keeping his head down as he power walked to the café. Everyone seemed to be staring at him, pointing at him, making fun of him.

Luhan didn't understand.

Did someone find out? Is that why the girls looked at him with such disgust? Did he really hear that girl properly or was it paranoia?

Luhan just kept walking. He just had to make it to Sehun's warm arms and he'll be safe. He walked into the cafe, the bell among the door ringing, announcing his entrance. Usually some kids look up and then look back down, not bothering to care but this time, they were staring at him. Their eyes unforgiving as Luhan tried to walk towards Sehun.

He spotted the black haired male in his usual booth and made his way over to him. But someone had stuck their foot out and Luhan tripped, his body hitting the floor before he could process what had happened. Sehun got up, running to Luhan. The taller helped his boyfriend up and glared at the boy who tripped Luhan. He bent down and grabbed him by the collar.

"You think that's funny?" Sehun growled. The boy shook his head, sweat dripping down his face as he shook in fear.

"I can get you expelled ...so don't let me catch you doing this again."

"Y-yes Sehun."

Sehun dropped the boy and helped Luhan back to his seat. "Ignore them baby, I....I have something to show you."

Luhan frowned as he sat down in front of Sehun. The latter had bubble tea in front of him, half empty. Luhan sneakily grabbed it and took a couple of sips. Actually it was obvious and Sehun let him but that's not the point.

The black haired male slowly pulled out a piece of paper from his backpack. Luhan snatched it, not believing his eyes. It was a copy of his medical form! Everything had been out except his name, picture and the fact that he was mute. Luhan looked up, tears forming in his eyes. Sehun sighed, "I'm sorry baby, they were all spread throughout campus already. I tried taking down as many as I could but..."

"Everyone's already seen them."

Sehun nodded solemnly. Luhan took a deep breath, trying to steady his heartbeat. But it was in vain, he was panicking. Not for himself but for Jongin. If he was exposed like that, what could the unknown number do to Jongin? Luhan had no idea what the person was referring to but there was no way in hell he would let Jongin get hurt over something he wasn't even part of. He knew what he had to do.

Luhan stood up.

"Luhan please, we can work this out, I'll help you find the person."

Luhan shook his head.

"Luhan!"

"Leave me alone Sehun."

The pink haired male was out the door.





 

Luhan wiped away another tear as he stuffed more clothes into his suitcase. Muki was at his feet, barking madly. She didn't understand what was happening. Luhan picked her up, smiling sadly when she tried to his tears away. He pressed heavy kisses on her head.

I'm so sorry, he thought as he put her in her cage. He shut the door, trying to ignore her whimpering. Luhan picked up his phone sighed in anger when he saw new messages from the unknown number.

Unknown number: I'm not playing, Jongin is next and his secret isn't as harmless as yours

Unknown number: his reputation is at stake, you want him to get recognized for his talent don't you?

Unknown number: how can he be a star when he's rotting in jail

Luhan felt his legs weakening underneath him.

Luhan: I'm leaving. Tomorrow, on that 8:00 flight
Are you satisfied?

Unknown number: very

Unknown number: happy doing business with you Luhan

Luhan wanted to yell, he wanted to scream. But he couldn't. Instead he threw his phone across the room, not flinching as it hit the far end wall with a sickening thud. He slid down the wall, hands buried in his hands as he weeped. All he could think was....why him.

Luhan woke up with a start, not realizing he had cried himself to sleep. He looked at the clock in fear, sighing in relief when he saw it was only 4:00 in the morning. Luhan pulled himself up, groaning as his back ached from sleeping on the hard floor. He limped towards the other side of the room, where he had chucked his phone. It was fine, besides a large crack in the screen.

Luhan picked it up, ignoring the texts from Sehun, Kyungsoo and Jongin. Chanyeol had called him multiple times but Luhan ignored it all. Instead he opened up his contacts and scrolled, hoping to god he had his number. Luhan scrolled through until he hit the J's. (It didn't take him very long he only had maybe ten contacts in his phone).

Luhan: Jongdae I need a favor

Jongdae: aye what up cutie!

Luhan didn't even question how quick Jongdae responded at four in the morning.

Luhan: send me your address

Jongdae: alright? Hey are you okay?

Luhan didn't respond. Seconds later, his phone buzzed again, this time with an address. Luhan sighed. Just twenty minutes later, Luhan reached out to knock on the latter's door. He had a suitcase waiting in the taxi and he was holding Muki's cage in his hand. The door opened and Jongdae stuck his head out, greeting Luhan with his trademark kitten smile, "Morning Cutie!"

Luhan set Muki down and grabbed his phone.

Luhan: I'm mute, I can't talk

Jongdae looked at his phone and shrugged, "Aight, what's up." Luhan faltered, he didn't expect for him to be so...accepting.

Luhan: I'm leaving. Take care of Muki for me.

Jongdae frowned, "What do you mean you're leaving? Does Sehun know?"

Luhan pulled his backpack to the front of his body. He rummaged through it until he pulled out four letters. He handed them to Jongdae who was staring at him, eyes wide.

Luhan: give those to Kyungsoo Chanyeol Jongin and Sehun, respectively....two days from now please

Jongdae took the letters hesitantly, "Lu-Luhan, did you really think this through?"

Luhan bit his upper lip, fighting back tears. He nodded slowly before handing Muki over to Jongdae as well. The little puppy was yapping her little head off. She must of realized what was happening. Jongdae set the cage down and placed the letters on top of it. Luhan couldn't hold back anymore. He launched himself at the lanky male, hugging him tight. His arms raveled around Jongdae's neck as he hid his tearing eyes from the male.

Jongdae stiffened, surprised at the sudden contact but he was quick to embrace the pink haired male. His own muscled arms were wrapped tightly around the latter's lithe waist. His eyes pricked with the threat of tears. Jongdae's heart dropped to his stomach because he knew what this hug meant.

He won't see Luhan again.