Picture 1: The beginning of all beginnings

Polaroid

The late Autumn wind bit at his bare skin as he slowly slid the glass door shut behind him. He could see the wrinkled back of his grandfather's head. Luhan had a blanket in his arms and silently joined his grandfather on the bench. Luhan wrapped the blanket around his shoulders and sat beside him.

"Thank you Luhan."

He nodded.

"I'm going to miss you. But you know this is for the best."

He nodded once more.

Luhan's grandfather was sending him off to an academy for the gifted in Seoul. Whether it was in studies or art or anything else, the academy claimed they could 'enhance' their talents. Grandfather thought it would look better on his resumes when he started looking for a job. It was almost like college Luhan supposes, but harder to get into and you had to graduate high school with a pretty high ranking.

"Luhan.....I love you so please don't take this personally... maybe it's best if you kept...you know...that a secret."

Luhan stiffened at his words. He was born with some problem. He don't know how it happened and no one bothered to tell him. It doesn't matter though. It's not like it could go away if he knew what caused it. His grandfather always said to hide it. That it would bring shame to their family name.

He was mute.

You could hear little sniffles when he cried, you could hear him gasp, or sigh but you will never hear his voice. Luhan remembered trying to talk when he was little but he had seriously injured his throat  and from then his grandfather forbid him to try.

The italicized words are sign language.

"Yes grandfather. I understand. My flight time is close. I need to leave."

He nodded and patted Luhan's shoulder before getting up, leaving the blanket to fall to the ground. It was always like that. It's not as if they were family, it was rather they were two strangers living under one roof. They weren't close but he was the only family Luhan had left. Luhan sat there a bit longer, trying to memorize the garden he used to run around in when he was little. He sighed softly to myself before he got up, bending to pick up the fallen blanket.

Luhan walked back inside and draped the blanket over the couch and picked up his bag. He swung it over his back and grabbed the bigger suitcase that he rolled along behind him as he left through the front door. Luhan blinked back tears as he climbed into the car grandfather had arranged for and took one last look at the only place he'd known his entire life.

 

The next few hours went by in a blur. Luhan sighed as he settled back in my seat. His legs were already cramping and he was on the plane for less than 5 minutes. He unraveled his earbuds to put them in his ears. Sighing, he closed his eyes, willing his body to get some rest.

The plane ride went by quick. The travel time between China and Korea wasn't that long, compared to other flights. Luhan got off the plane quickly, taking a deep breath, bracing myself for the things that might happen in the next 4 years. 




 

"All right new students." A tall guy was standing on stage and was addressing the crowd of students standing at the base of the stage.

Luhan gulped. He was not at all ready for this. He had lived with his grandfather for 19 years and suddenly he get pushed out and into a much smaller dorm. The tall guy on stage pointed to a row of 5 tables.  "Go to a table based on your lasts name, get your dorm number and get your up there. Class starts bright and early tomorrow. I suggest you get a good nights sleep. It might be the last one for a while."

Luhan rubbed his forehead. I'm already feeling a strong headache coming up. He walked to the table and pointed at his name on the list. The girl gave him a weird look but gave him his keys anyway. He sighed and looked at the keychain. It was leather with the words D-100. Luhan made his way up, dragging his heavy suitcase to an elevator and pressed the D floor. Instead of numbers, the floors were labeled with layers. He was on the fourth floor. Luhan got off and peeked his head out of the elevator. He quickly found D-100 and knocked in case someone got here before him.

Silence.

He unlocked the door and flipped on the lights. He gasped at the room before him. Luhan looked around in awe. The high class dorm was gorgeous. There was a small living room, with two couches as a glass coffee table. Off to the side was a mini kitchenette, with a fridge, stove, oven and microwave.

He looked around and saw another door. Luhan slowly opened it and his eyes widened. The bedroom, unlike the living room was brightly colored. There were two beds, one against each wall. A desk accompanied each bed along with a wardrobe. Luhan plopped his backpack on the bed closet to the window and sat at one of the two desks. Luhan smiled as he looked out the window. He could see into the grassy area that connected all the back exits of the four dorm buildings. Luhan could also see kids outside sitting on the grass or playing soccer. He was tempted to join but Luhan knew that was impossible. Luhan sighed and rummaged through his suitcase and pulled out his clothes. He arranged them in the drawers under his bed.

He was hooking up his laptop when he heard a faint voice call out 'Hello?'

Luhan froze and started freaking out. He didn't know what to do. He took a deep breath to calm himself and walked out of the room. A short guy was standing there with a backpack, suitcase and a guitar case. His eyes widened when he saw Luhan and he immediately bowed, "Oh! Hello. I'm Minseok but I prefer to be called Xiumin."

His face was round and kind. His eyes were big and were focused on Luhan. Luhan's own eyes widened when he realized that his roommate wanted an answer. Luhan ran into the room and brought back a notebook.

My name is Luhan. Since you are my roommate, I am trusting you. I can not speak. I am mute. I'm sorry.

Xiumin skimmed over the note, his eyes widening slowly, "Luhan? It's okay! You seem like a great person and don't worry, I'll do all the talking." Xiumin winked cheekily at Luhan, causing a smile to erupt on his face. "Do you know sign language?"

Luhan's eyes widened as he quickly signed out a question, "You know sign language?!"

Xiumin smiled and nodded, "My dad owns a children's hospital and he's a head doctor there. Some of the kids can't speak or hear so I just learned sign language." Luhan couldn't help himself as he threw his arms around Xiumin, hugging the latter close. For the first time, he could talk with someone who wasn't his grandfather.

"Thank you so much Xiumin."

Xiumin chuckled, "Why are you thanking me? Besides, if we're stuck here together for four years, might as well be friends!"

Luhan grinned at Xiumin. He had a feeling they would be great friends. Luhan's eyes widened when he suddenly remembered something. He raised one finger before dashing to the bedroom. He tugged open his backpack and pulled out his white Polaroid camera. He ran back to the living room and smiled shyly at Xiumin.

"Can we...take a picture?" Luhan signed hesitantly.

Xiumin smiled widely as he tugged Luhan close. With a quick movement, he grabbed the camera and turned it to face them. "Say Kimchi!" Xiumin grinned. Luhan smiled, waiting for the camera to flash.

Click.