fin.

A Lot Like Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun looks at his watch, he’s already ten minutes late. It’s one of the cons of living away from home and one of the pros he secretly likes. The thing is, his parents had already warned him not to be late and tried to call him two hours before the meeting – it didn’t work. He slept soundly and now he’s running for his life unless some miracle happens and make the other party late too. Which is too good to be true, by the way. It’s her sister’s supposed wedding arrangement with the Park Clan, a long associate of the Byun’s and late grandfather had made his father promise that at least one of the Byun’s be married off.

                It’s unfair, more so to the young Naeun who ended up marrying someone she doesn’t even know. They’ve exchanged letters – she and Chanyeol though majority of the letters ended up being written by Baekhyun, but that was it and their parents refused to let them send one another’s picture to each other, however with internet and everything – Baekhyun find it hard to imagine that Naeun didn’t even search him once.

                His phone started ringing and Baekhyun struggled balancing the cup of coffee on one hand and the cake on the other – risking it, he decided to place the coffee on top of the packaged cake before answering his phone.

                “Eomma?” He asks, warily.

                “Byun Baekhyun get your in here now!”

                “I’m trying but if you keep me on call I won’t make it!”

                “Don’t sass me young man! I rang your phone twenty-two times earlier and don’t tell me – ”

                “I can’t hear you, it’s – I – you – later – go – bye!” He says into the phone before hanging up on his mother. Baekhyun apologized into a prayer, in his defense, he at least had the decency to buy a cake as a gift.

                He turns around, only to collide against a tall man’s chest and a no doubt expensive suit. He belatedly realizes the coffee on top of the cake and it falls toward the man while Baekhyun tried his hardest not to drop the relatively expensive cake.

                “What the ?” The man utters, disbelief etched in his expression. Baekhyun sighs at the sight of his spilt coffee, he only got three sips for his morning intake.

                “At least it’s cold.” Baekhyun says, and the man’s eyes widened by a fraction. Never mind that he looked gorgeous even with that pretty face, if glares could kill – Baekhyun would be dead by now.

                “Excuse me?”

                “You are excused.” Baekhyun retorts, a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips before getting out of the man’s way and making a gesture of letting him pass. Baekhyun knew he shouldn’t be wasting precious time, not with the length he’s going infuriating this handsome stranger. But there are just some things he couldn’t resist even if he wanted.

                “Do you know much this suit costs?” The guy asks, voice even and a tad bit hot. Baekhyun might be acutely aware, “Not to mention you’ve hold me up longer—”

                “I’m actually pretty late so,” Baekhyun made a vague motion of going through before giving a somewhat not so apologetic smile at the latter and dashing away. He hails for a taxi and quickly gets in before the guy from earlier even decides to run after him. He sighs a pretty good deal after getting in. The ride was short and they stopped by a massive building with people on the front no doubt waiting for him. Baekhyun gets out of the car and he waves shyly at the mass of people and reporters outside – only to be shoved aside by someone else. His eyes bulged at the sudden imbalance and Baekhyun couldn’t help the relief in his voice when the cake stayed safely in his arms.

                “YAH!” But his cries went unnoticed as the guy went ahead and was engulfed in the sea of reporters and paparazzi. He frowns at the guy and makes his way past into the hotel. Apparently, the media aren’t allowed inside and it gave Baekhyun sometime to reprimand the stranger when he realizes that it was the same one as earlier. He swallowed his words and went the other way until a familiar voice calls out to him, “Baekhyun!”

                He turns around and sees his mother, quite clearly distressed by the state of her hair.

                “Eomma!” He responds with a confused frown. He helps her tame down her hair before she’s close to hyperventilating. “I’m sorry I’m late, really.” He says, not really understanding how his tardiness this time had brought her close to tears.

                “It’s – it’s Naeun! She’s missing!” Her mom says, and clutches her phone like it’s her lifeline and Baekhyun holds her shoulders to calm her down.

                “Eomma, don’t panic. Breathe – in, out. Repeat after me, in and out.” He says as he gathers himself up and his mother looked a little bit fine after that. He takes her phone away from her to see why Naeun, of all people, would suddenly make such a rash decision to disappear now.

                He reads the text message, and all she sent their mother was that she’s safe and that they shouldn’t come looking for her – which they obviously would. She didn’t even warn him about her devious plan, it’s not like he’s the tattletale of the family.

                “Eomma, I’m sure it’s okay. Maybe she’s just staying with her friends, with Seungwan? Or what was the pretty girl’s name – Yura?” Baekhyun says, attempting to make light of the situation.

                “I know that Baekhyun-ah, what I’m worried about is the Parks. Your father is currently speaking with Chairman Park, thank goodness Chanyeol-ah is late too. We can’t come up empty handed – there’s media outside and the announcement was bound to be in three hours!” Her mom paces, they’re at the far away end of the lobby and not visible from the outside and Baekhyun had never been grateful at the seat behind him. He ushers his mother to sit and nips at his nail in distress.

                “The Parks know that we didn’t mean for this to happen – but the media coverage will be bad, Baekhyun-ah. This will be bad for their reputation and they can’t afford to get caught up when the whole situation blows up.”

                “I’ll go find Naeun!”

                “I’ve already sent some guards to find her – we may find her but not in three hours. You know how your sister is when she doesn’t want to be found.”

                “So, we just wait? And if they don’t find her?”

                “The alliance between the Byuns and Parks may be severed.”

                Baekhyun sighs, he hadn’t seen this coming. Their family haven’t been doing well ever since grandfather Byun died, their partners had found bigger companies to work with and the Parks may be the only one willing to tolerate them in favor of the wills that their forefathers left them.

                “Unless,” her mother trails off and Baekhyun looks at her, puzzled. She has that same look she had when she made a human slingshot in their living room when Baekhyun was a kid – and Baekhyun wouldn’t forget that because it was the best birthday ever even when he ended up with a broken thumb and her mother wouldn’t stop crying the whole way to the hospital even though he consoled her that it didn’t hurt at all.

                “Unless?” He asks, growing impatient as the silence stretches on.

                She turns to him and Baekhyun has half a second to process that look before she’s saying, “You marry Park Chanyeol.”

                Baekhyun’s eyes bulged at the sheer absurdity of it – he can’t help the snort that followed. It’s such a ridiculous idea that he can’t even keep a straight face on. “Eomma! Stop joking!” He says, slapping his knee in the process of wheezing out his lungs.

                “You can’t actually be serious –” He sees the look on her mother’s face and he stops laughing. He chokes on his own saliva and manages to smack his chest in order to breathe a little. “You can’t – I may be gay but what’s to say he’s even –”

                “It wouldn’t matter. We’ll just tell the press that. You’re a Byun – it counts as something.”

                “So, let me get this straight, you want me to stand in place of Naeun? Oh my god! Eomma don’t pull my own puppy face at me!” He shrieks when she pouts, “It doesn’t work on me!”

                His mother rolls her eyes and fixes her expression into a more serious one.  Baekhyun doesn’t notice his father turning up around the corner and heading towards their direction.

                “You’re marrying Park Chanyeol. He can’t be that bad, honey.”

                “What the actual fu-”

                “Language, Baekhyun-ah.”

                “In case you haven’t noticed, I’m a boy – with boy parts mom. I’m not going to be able to procure a child in any case.”

                “You can always try adopting.”

                “Not helping dad!”

                “It’s final. We’ll meet the Parks.”

                “We’re not even sure if he’s gay!” Baekhyun protests and his mother shushes him in silence.

 

Thankfully, the cake he’s holding is still in one piece even after receiving news like that. Baekhyun had assumed that his father had already talked to Chairman Park beforehand since they’re walking so casually inside the restaurant. The whole floor is empty except for the Parks. The chairman sits beside his wife, their hands lacing together and Mrs. Park’s bright smile lighting up despite their situation.

                “You already planned this beforehand, didn’t you?” Baekhyun half whispered, half shouted to his parents and when their matching grins appeared he muttered a “ing knew it.” under his breath. He knows how their mind works by now, after all – he learned from the best. Always have a contingency plan, his mom would say – and he never thought that this time he would be the backup plan.

They make their way towards the Parks and the chairman’s face visibly shows relief on his features upon seeing them. Baekhyun almost pitied the man, if it weren’t for their family becoming the one that’s bankrupt. The only comfort Baekhyun tells himself to get through this thing is the fact that he can rub it in his sister’s face after.

                “We’ve never formally met since the will had been stated after, you know,” Mrs. Park trails off to what Baekhyun assumes is the death of his grandparents. He nods in understanding. “I’m so glad you’re here, Baekhyun-ah.”

                Baekhyun smiles, tight lipped about the whole thing. Everything’s happening too fast for his liking and he’s not quite sure how to process it yet. He’s nervous and right now that bottle of wine looks very appealing in front of him.

                “I’m sorry. I know this wasn’t what we all had in mind.” The chairman speaks, kind and calm like he’s prepared for all the changes in his plan. Baekhyun wonders how tough it must be to keep that kind of façade without breaking so much inside.

                “Does Chanyeol know?” Baekhyun finally asks and he swears you could drop a pin at that moment and it’d be the loudest thing in the room. He sighs, already bracing himself up for the consequences.

                “Take a seat first, honey.” His mom says to him and Baekhyun does the same time his dad takes a seat to his left. They’re now facing the Parks and he does his best not to let his nerves get the better of him.

                “Why don’t we wait for a bit, Chanyeol’s on his way.” Mrs. Park says, avoiding his question entirely. He realizes he doesn’t have to devise any plan on this thing if Chanyeol ends up hating him and breaking the whole thing off with a master tantrum.

                “Sorry I’m late,” a husky voice appears out of nowhere and Baekhyun had to crane his head to look at the tall man bending down to place a kiss on his parents’ cheeks and settling beside them. He openly gapes and more than a little swallow his own words upon seeing the man.

                The latter’s eyes found his and Baekhyun suddenly find it quite hard to breathe as their eyes locked. There’s a stagnant pause and he’s quite sure that you could somehow taste the tension in the air as the seconds tick by in silence.

                “You!” Chanyeol points at him, and Baekhyun grins an apologetic one – now noticing the latter’s coffee stained shirt against his pristine suit. He’s tempted to duck his head and slowly leave when Mrs. Park’s voice cuts in and Baekhyun breathes a sigh of relief.

                “You know each other?” She asks, looking at Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Baekhyun doesn’t know what expression his face is making judging by the small quirk of Chanyeol’s lips – he’s not entirely certain if that’s a good thing or not.

                “No.”

                “Yes.”

                Both their families threw a knowing glance at them however subtle they think they may be. Baekhyun sighs, not enthusiastic enough to acknowledge his awful behavior that morning and his lack of guilt when Chanyeol pipes up.

                “We bumped into each other earlier, hence why we were both late.” The man says, eyes leveled at him like he was challenging Baekhyun to say otherwise. For a moment, Baekhyun was seriously tempted to tell the truth but with the whole Naeun thing right now he doesn’t think his family would be so kind to hear him out if he happens to throw some tantrums. He nods, for the lack of better words.

The chairman nods at this, as if somehow coming up with a conclusion. There was a very stagnant pause for a while before Mrs. Park clapped once to get everyone’s attention and addressed everyone with that bright smile of hers, it was contagious that Baekhyun couldn’t help the relief that at least he’s not going to be stuck with some evil mother in law. He dismisses the thought before he realizes what he’s done, it’s a very dangerous path of thinking.

                “So, since you are already acquainted, why don’t you use this time to know more about each other? Apparently, there’s a bit of change in plans Chanyeol-ah.”

                Chanyeol looks at his mother at this, the hurt in his eyes briefly flashing before he’s plastering a grin wide enough to hurt. Oh, how Naeun had ed up this time – Baekhyun thought.

                “It’s fine, we can’t help it.”

                “We deeply apologize, Chanyeol-ah. We didn’t even think this would happen.” Mrs. Byun said, and Baekhyun was glad that Mrs. Park chooses that moment to take in his mother’s hands.

                “It’s not your fault, Mrs. Byun.” Chanyeol says before his mother could speak and Baekhyun could see how proud of him both his parents are at this moment – handling this situation like a pro without even batting an eyelash while Baekhyun still doesn’t have enough brain cells to process how fast this is all going. He extends a hand out to Baekhyun to which Baekhyun dazedly shakes in return.

                “Park Chanyeol, it’s nice to meet you, love.”

                Baekhyun clears the lump in his throat, “Byun Baekhyun, likewise.” He pretends not to notice the term of endearment at the end of the sentence, already aware that the reddening at the tip of his ears is already a telltale. He wasn’t even supposed to be married but Baekhyun supposes – after all this, they could just get a divorce – his mind already years away from now. He doesn’t think about living with the man, not really – he had so much things to do to even think about relationships and now he’s in one that’s doesn’t even have mutual feelings from both parties.

                It was a blur, to Baekhyun’s eyes and ears when they started talking about the wedding and the necessary arrangements to make – this wasn’t the part of the plan after all. He was the one flaw in this properly orchestrated arrangement. After that, they were advised by their parents to get to know more about each other since Naeun was the only one in contact with Chanyeol all these years. Though in Baekhyun’s opinion – he’s had his fair share of exchanging letters with the latter – only he didn’t know it was from Baekhyun.

To say it was awkward was a huge understatement since they’ve only had an hour left before the media comes in firing question after question at them. They’ve decided on taking a walk along the huge panels of glass in the hotel, looking down at the swarm of paparazzi below. Some had taken notice but Chanyeol waved it off and assured Baekhyun they couldn’t possibly make a statement out of one picture of them together, besides – it’s not like they’re not going to be married soon.

                “So, what do you do exactly?” Baekhyun asks, because at some point he’d stopped writing letters for Naeun when he went to college. He’s acutely aware of the fame surrounding the Park family, what with having little to no interest in the television except for the news. He recognizes Park Sora though, Chanyeol’s older sister who’s a news anchorwoman and happily married. Chanyeol raises an eyebrow at him, like he couldn’t believe Baekhyun even had the gall to ask.

                “I’m an actor.” Chanyeol says and there’s a little twist at the corners of his mouth – like a smile threatening to breakthrough. And Baekhyun doesn’t understand, why is he so calm about their whole predicament when it’s their whole lives their betting on? What if they find that perfect someone and they’re stuck into this loveless marriage?

                “Stop thinking.” Chanyeol says, and Baekhyun stops walking with him. He lets Chanyeol strides two more spaces forward before confronting him with a confused “What?”

                “You’re overthinking it. Your expression – it’s like an open book.”

                “Well, you can’t just stop thinking.”

                “You can, you just choose not to.” Chanyeol says, now turning to look at him and beckoning him to follow to which he agrees with a somewhat perplexed expression.

                “Aren’t you angry? Sad?” He inquires, aware that further pushing the matter might anger the younger guy.                

                “That is an understatement of what I’m feeling right now, but it’s for the sake of the company. Not to mention your family and mine’s reputation.”

                Baekhyun learns to keep his mouth shut after that, he doesn’t want to step on shards of glass around Chanyeol just so he can get him to open up to him. They walk in a companionable silence, and Baekhyun sneaks a glance or two at the younger in hopes of seeing something in his expression that might give him away.

They reach the lobby and had the remaining twenty or so minutes to themselves before they go out to be eaten alive. He feels like he’s going to be sick at the sight of the people hovering just around the entrance and Chanyeol effectively blocks them when he comes up in front of Baekhyun.

                “Don’t keel over.” He says, and Baekhyun notices the coffee stain he left on his shirt just this morning.

                “Sorry about your shirt.” He mumbles, low enough from any passerby and loud enough that Chanyeol wouldn’t miss it.

                “Are you sure you’re the same guy earlier?” Chanyeol asks him as if taunting him, probably aware how much his nerves are showing at the moment, and Baekhyun doesn’t look up. He feels like he’s not even in his own skin anymore. At this, Chanyeol sighs and Baekhyun was taken aback when Chanyeol lifts his chin up to meet his.

                “Well, are you? You were fuming in distaste –”

                “Careful, I still might. Listen, I’ll walk you through it. Don’t worry about a thing.”

                “Easy for you to say, you grew up in the spotlight.”

                “That I can’t argue, but if you lose your nerve out there – they’d launch at you like sharks smelling blood.”

                “That really isn’t helping.”

                Chanyeol seems thoughtful for a moment before throwing his head back and laughing.

                “You’re right, I’m sorry.” He says after having had his fill of enjoyment. He takes Baekhyun’s hand in his and Baekhyun was glad he didn’t flinch at all.

                “Chin up, and smile. Give my hand a squeeze if it’s too much or if you’d like me to answer for you.”

                He’s so at ease like he’s been practicing this moment all his life and Baekhyun briefly wonders if Chanyeol had imagined Naeun instead of him, right here at this moment and point of time.

 

The meeting went well, there were some harsh criticisms but nothing they can’t handle. By tomorrow morning, it’s going to be in the news or at least some sort of media outlet. Baekhyun’s terrified of what he’d see so he opts to lock himself inside his apartment until tomorrow when his mother comes in to deliver some home cooked food.

                The knock came, but it took Baekhyun in surprise when an older guy wearing an impeccable suit greets him by his door. He’s got about two more guys behind him who looks like they’d just came out of a James Bond movie. The older guy smiles at him warmly and Baekhyun racks his brain if he managed to borrow from loan sharks by accident.

                “I don’t have money.” Is what he blurts out, bleary eyed and somewhat still processing the scenario that will most likely happen in this case – on the bright side, if he gets killed then he wouldn’t be able to attend his own wedding.

                “Sir Byun, Master Park has ordered us to get your stuff packed and he’s made a reservation for you at 5 o’clock. Dinner with him will be at seven-thirty.”

                “Uhm,” the guys behind the man comes in and Baekhyun watches them pack his stuff with wide eyes.

                “I am Kim Hojoon and I will be assisting you today in your activities.”

                “I can pack by myself, really – and uhm – why?”

                “Pardon?”

                Baekhyun shakes his head, just this morning all he wanted was some bacon and eggs – and maybe his mother’s homecooked meals. “What’s the reservation for? Why couldn’t he come by himself?”

                “Master Park is terribly busy, I’m afraid. Now, if you’ll come with me to the car Sir.”

                “Just Baekhyun is fine. Is it necessary to move out? I mean, we’re not yet married.”

                “It will be much convenient for Master Park if you are closer.”

                Baekhyun doesn’t believe it, if anything – it’s much possible that Chanyeol’s doing this to keep an eye on him, it’s the ‘why’ he can’t think of. He asks the old man to come in, because he’s at least taught basic manners by his mother when there are guests presents. Baekhyun’s tempted to stomp his feet at the absurdity of it, everything in his life is being turned upside down because of one moment. He packs the important things himself and says a teary-eyed goodbye to his apartment. There is still paperwork that needs to be done and the sooner he gets this over with, the sooner he gets to work.

                There are some good things about their predicament though, Baekhyun learns from the first meeting that Chanyeol’s an utter gentleman and that’s a pretty good deal already. He doesn’t mind their first meeting of the other being such a prat in favor of looking at the bright side of things.

After the reservation – which turns out is a few makeovers and some hairstyling change, Baekhyun is escorted to the restaurant to have dinner with Chanyeol. He’s suddenly aware of wary eyes and found himself in the middle of people gossiping about him. Their table has quite a view of the outside and Baekhyun at least fidgets less waiting because of it.

                Chanyeol arrives about five minutes later and Baekhyun gives him a small smile.

                “Did you wait long?” He asks, Baekhyun shakes his head no and the waiter promptly arrives to take their orders. The dinner was pleasant and Chanyeol tells him how his day went like they were friends since forever and he listens – Chanyeol’s voice is calm and soothing to listen to. He doesn’t notice the paparazzi taking pictures of them while Chanyeol holds his hand over the table and smiles at him with too many teeth.

                “I must be boring you,” Chanyeol says, playing with his hands and lacing their hands together again. Baekhyun feels his heart skip at the gesture and stomps down the urge to combust right there and then.

                “No, I –”

                “Well, let’s call it a day. It’s really late and I’m sure you’re exhausted too.” Chanyeol says, and Baekhyun’s too dumb

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter