Two Boxes

Cannot Help Loving You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I didn’t have much stuff to begin with, but Mr and Mrs Lee still insisted to send a courier to my run-down apartment to help me deliver my things to their place.

In the end, it didn’t come much as a shock to me that I was able to stash away my whole life into only two moving boxes.

For some reason, with everything that was happening, I just felt numb, not having any real grasp on reality at all.

I was pregnant, but there was simply no way I could actually believe it.

Even when the doctor had showed me the test result, it was no more than piece of paper for me.

Maybe it was for the best. I certainly hoped that the less I would develop any attachment to this child, the easier it would be for all of us in the end.

Baby included.

I knew that what I was doing wouldn’t receive much praise and positive acknowledgement, because let’s face it, who in their right mind would give up their newborn baby anyway?

But I guess that this reaction would also mainly come from people who didn’t know any better.

They wouldn’t know how it was to grow up in an orphanage where there was not enough food to go around so the older kids would end up hungry since they’d feed the younger ones first.

They didn’t know how it was like to be treated like trash because your job was to serve others on a daily basis.

Many in my situation would’ve resorted to a romantic idea of life, lying to themselves that everything will eventually turn around in their favour.

It was escaping reality in a way, and nobody could blame them for doing so.

But I somehow never managed to fool myself into a dream world.

Being a human, I knew that after this, I would most likely end up broken after having given up a piece of me.

That much was clear.

However, my options were limited to being with.

After having been fired from my last job, because the son of the family had developed feelings for me, I was forced to look into the tiger’s eye.

With the little I had, I had managed to rent a room in a run-down apartment owned by an old woman.

Though, the money had soon run out, and with no prospect of a new job, I was afraid that I would end up going down a path that I had seen so many take already and become someone who gave up their body for the pleasure of others.

I wouldn’t say that it was by a miracle, but it was surely by coincidence that I was suddenly recruited to consider being a surrogate.

I loved children.

However, I knew better than to think I could ever raise one in my situation.

The offer certainly was unusual.

But at least I had the feeling that even if the couple I’ve chosen were not very fond of me, especially the wife, I was assured that they’d be good to it and appreciate its’ existence.

So, in a way, it was doing it for a good cause while pulling myself out of a life where I’d probably end up dead by the time I’d reach 25.

~

When I arrived that next morning, I was surprised to only find Mr Lee at their house.

The maid had opened the door for me, but he was standing right next to her to greet me politely and help me inside, even taking my heavy shoulder bag to carry it for me.

I had been very nervous when I had first met him, but Jesus, I must’ve been completely dazed not to have noticed how attractive he was.

He was all tall and handsome, with an open and friendly face that could have been the perfect choice for a children’s’ TV program or news channel.

But what was the most amazing was that along with the looks, the guy had impeccable manners, offering me something to drink right away and attentively asking me if I wanted to rest before having a look around the place.

I was too nervous to sit down so I awkwardly declined, telling him that I was fine for him to show me know.

So he gave me a very brief tour of the very luxurious and modern property, walking slowly so that I could comfortably follow him from room to room.

Everything was beautiful.

The floors were all marble with crafted staircases.

The furniture was artistically appealing and warm.

And there was space. So so much space.

While the large living area had a fire place and upscale lounge couches, it was still the grand piano that was situated in one of the corners that caught my eye first.

Of course, the very elegant chandeliers that hung from the ceiling didn’t go unnoticed to me, either.

Mr Lee was very kind to explain everything as he showed me: The gigantic oak design kitchen, his and his wife’s bedroom, the library, his study/home office, the wine cellar as well my own room in which I would be staying in.

I was so stunned at the pretty wallpaper, king-sized bed and beautifully carved shelves, cupboards and wardrobe that I almost missed it when Mr Lee offered to help me settle in.

‘Thank you, Mr Lee, but that’s ok. ’ I bowed to him, trying to avoid direct eye contact.

Somehow throughout the whole time I had found it hard to act all normal when we both knew that I was carrying his baby.

But maybe the awkwardness was all me.

He seemed fairly ok with this arrangement. Or at he at least looked the part.

‘Just Taemin is fine.’ he assured me with a warm smile.

I hadn’t expected that.

Not in a million years would I have thought that I was going to be respected in this household while I’d be staying there.

‘Oh, ok. Thank you, Taemin-ssi.’ I responded, still taking in my surroundings in disbelieve.

The bed even had fresh linen with fluffy pillows all in a soft shade of lavender.

‘Right. So, you sure you’ll be alright by yourself? I mean with unpacking,’ he glanced at the boxes that had been placed in front of the still empty shelves.

Surprisingly, the wardrobe was filled with all kinds of clothing, from my current normal size to last trimester maternity ones.

‘I’ll be fine, thank you. I don’t have much to sort in to begin with.’ I explained, motioning to t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter