One, two, three drinks

Two notes away from your heart

It would take about fifteen minutes to reach the center of Cheongju; the journey passed quickly to Changkyun, as the eldest was chatting cheerfully with him on their way while listening to music. Wonho's favorite songs were the acoustic ones, and that was reflected in the numerous discs he had in the glove box of that genre.

The little boy felt comfortable and talked openly about his musical tastes, which mostly included rap and hip hop. Wonho was kind of surprised by it: he had assumed that, because he played the piano, he only listened to classical music.

When they were in a street looking for a place to park, Wonho began to absentmindedly sing part of the song that was being played; his voice was incredibly sweet, and Changkyun sank into his seat as he listened in silence.

He thought his popularity was justified, for Wonho was perfect in too many aspects: it was normal for people to be attracted to him. His character was so loving and caring, his smile illuminated everyplace he went... did he even have any flaws?

“Changkyun?” Wonho's voice pulled him out of his thoughts and he jumped on his sit. The older had already parked and was on his right, keeping the copilot's door open so he could get out. “Are you not feeling okay?” he asked as Changkyun stepped out of the car, looking a bit dazed.

He shook his head and Wonho looked at him with concern before closing the door and pressing a button on the car keys to lock it. The pianist's face showed no expression that would give him any clue as to whether he was lying or not, so he decided to use a trick that used to work to persuade people.

He approached him and pulled one of his charming smiles.

“Are you sure?” he asked in a soft voice, raising his eyebrows.

The coldness on Changkyun's face didn’t change.

“Pretty sure.”

The sharp answer was like a needle that pricked his bubble of confidence: his technique didn’t seem to be effective with Changkyun, and that kind of hit his ego. However, he saw that his cheeks of golden skin began to take on a slight carmine tone and he was satisfied. His closeness seemed to make him nervous.

And he loved that.

With renewed self-confidence, Wonho began to walk with his hands in the pockets of his black biker down the sidewalk and Changkyun followed, going two steps behind him.

The pianist hoped that his blush wouldn’t have been noticeable and put his cold hands on his cheeks to lower their temperature. He didn’t know why Wonho made him so nervous, he simply couldn’t understand.

When they left the area where they parked the car, they entered the main street of Cheongju; although it was already dark, it was crowded with people: Wonho thought that there was a pleasant night atmosphere, while to Changkyun the noise was so overwhelming.

To get to the restaurant where they had to meet up with Minhyuk and Jooheon, they were going to have to go through the crowd. Wonho stopped momentarily for the little boy to reach him so they could walk side by side.

It was on the way to the restaurant when Changkyun brought out his clumsy side; the fact that he walked with his head low made him almost hit himself with a street lamp. He later hit the sign depicting the menu of a street food stall and threw it to the ground.

After apologizing repeatedly to the owner of the stall and picking up the sign, they continued on their way. Wonho made no comment and was suppressing a smile, it was so hard not to laugh at his adorable clumsiness. Changkyun just wanted to disappear.

Luck must have been against him that day; the black-haired boy was sure that it was a sign that he shouldn’t have agreed to hang out that day.

When he thought it was not possible to make the ridiculous even more, the laces of his boots untied without realizing it and he stumbled, but managed to not fall face down on the ground at the cost of making a strange pirouette to stand.

Wonho couldn’t hold it any longer and burst into a laugh that, in any other situation, Changkyun would have considered beautiful.

"Shut up," said Changkyun feeling flustered, his cheeks like tomatoes and his fists clenched.

When his laughter subsided, he crouched in front of Changkyun and tied the laces of his shoes. Once he finished, he got up without breaking the eye contact and took his right hand gently.

"Come on, I don’t want you to kill yourself on our way," he explained with a soft smile on his rosy lips.

The boy's heart was like a hummingbird that frantically flapped its wings against his chest and he didn’t protest, letting himself be led by Wonho; he wanted to tell him that he could walk alone and that he didn’t need his help.

Changkyun didn’t like his personal space to be invaded, let alone being held by his hand without his permission. But he still didn’t want to release Wonho; he really liked the way his small hand was wrapped by the bigger one.

He felt safe and protected.

Wonho didn’t want to admit it, but the fact that he was allowed to take him by the hand made him tremendously happy. Internally, he was screaming and jumping with joy, but outside he kept his chill behavior as always.

As they approached the restaurant, Changkyun released him embarrassed while Wonho approached his friends who were waiting for them at the door to greet them cheerfully. Besides the redhead and the blond, Hyungwon was also with them, and Changkyun was glad to see him: his company was very pleasant to him.

The slender boy gave him a small hug and greeted him with a drowsy smile, standing  by him to make him less intimidated by the unenthusiastic greeting he received from Minhyuk and Jooheon.

Once inside the restaurant, they went to one of the low tables in the center and sat on the floor around them. Changkyun was between Wonho and Hyungwon, while the other two were in front of them.

He felt he was being the center of attention, as if he had a huge spotlight pointing at him. And that only caused him to shrink on the site, wishing he could get inside a shell and never go out.

After an elderly lady approached to ask what they were going to eat, they began to talk about trivial matters of the university; Changkyun only participated in the conversation nodding occasionally or laughing very discreetly.

He realized that Minhyuk talked a lot... maybe too much. And that when Jooheon smiled, two prominent dimples appeared on his cheeks that pulled down his usual intimidating appearance. Once they brought the food they ordered, Changkyun reached for his spoon to attack his favorite rice curry dish; but he couldn’t eat peacefully for a long time.

"So, Changkyun... how did you meet Wonho?"

Minhyuk's question caught him off-guard and dropped the rice from his spoon.

“Uh... I, well-”

"He was playing the piano in the auditorium and I listened to him by chance," Wonho explained, his mouth full of ramen. He decided to intervene when he saw Changkyun's stutter.

“You play the piano?” Jooheon inquired disinterestedly.

Changkyun nodded and looked down.

“Oh yeah. I’ve heard he’s really good," Hyungwon added, observing Hoseok with complicity; the brunette gave him a warning look and his ears turned red. Changkyun didn’t understand the subliminal message that these two had just shared and continued to eat his curry dish without giving it much importance.

"Wonho," Jooheon called him in a bored tone, "what happened to the chick you hooked up with last month?"

Changkyun choked on the rice and began to cough. Hyungwon hit his back and Wonho quickly served him soju so he could drink; the black-haired reached for his glass and took a couple of gulps: although the drink made his throat burn, it left a pleasant sensation and helped him to stop coughing.

Still worried about the little boy, the brunette rubbed his back in circles with delicacy. Changkyun waved his hand in the air to indicate that he was fine and he sighed with relief.

“So?” the blonde insisted, resting his head on the palm of his hand.

“We broke up,” Wonho finally answered.

The latter said it with a smile and shrugged, as if he didn’t care too much about it. But Changkyun could distinguish a bit of sadness in his expression.

"I thought so," Jooheon said, not surprised by the news.

"It seemed strange to me that you were with the same girl for more than a week," Minhyuk added, "I bet you already have found another chick… or maybe some cute guy."

The comment earned the laughter of the rest, except of Wonho and Changkyun; the older boy looked annoyed, but soon joined his friends and smiled shaking his head.

This was no secret: it was well known on campus that Wonho liked both girls and boys alike. For him it has always been something natural and, although his friends were initially surprised when they found out, that was now part of their routine and even took the liberty of joking about it.

But apparently, Changkyun was the only one in the whole university who didn’t know about it; without being able to avoid it, his head began to fill with images of Wonho.

Wonho hugging a boy.

Wonho kissing a boy.

Wonho doing other things... with a boy.

He felt his whole body heat up, and without much thought, he picked up his glass again and finished the soju in one gulp. He lifted the glass to Hoseok, telling him to serve him more.

The brunette did so and Changkyun again finished the drink in the blink of an eye. They all looked amused as the little boy lifted the glass back to Wonho, who was reluctant to fill it this time.

"Hey Changkyun, I don’t think you should-"

But before he could finish the sentence, Minhyuk snatched the bottle and served more to Changkyun.

"Let him drink," said the redhead with a smile so wide that was a little creepy, "don’t you want him to have a good time?"

Wonho didn’t know what to answer. He looked at Changkyun, who seemed pleased to see his glass full of soju, and frowned disapprovingly; he didn’t know the his alcohol’s tolerance and didn’t like the idea of getting him drunk the first night they hang out.

But then, he thought that perhaps it would help him to let go and have a better time. Finally he relaxed a little, hoping that Changkyun would be able to control himself and stop drinking once he reached his limit.

He would later realize he was wrong.