Sleepy

Two notes away from your heart

Changkyun's small hands held his cell tightly. He couldn’t stop rereading the messages he had exchanged with Wonho since the day he gave him his phone number.

That Tuesday, the brunette sent him a message in the afternoon asking him how he was; Changkyun didn’t expect to receive a text from him so quickly, and he didn’t answer until the next day. When he gathered enough courage, he responded with a simple 'good', and the first conversation ended.

Sad but true.

On Thursday, Wonho took the initiative again and showed interest in his studies, and the black-haired answered again with a sharp 'everything good'. That same day, he ran into him through the corridors of the faculty and became so nervous that he pretended not to see him and passed by.

He bit his lip and scolded himself internally; he didn’t pretend to be so cold, it was just that his social skills were nil. He didn’t want Hoseok to think he didn’t like him and because of that he treated him that way.

And today, Friday, Changkyun feared that the boy would sent him another message and that he didn’t know again what to answer.

“Here you have.”

The waitress's voice dragged him out of his thoughts and he hurriedly put his cell phone in his jacket’s pocket; he placed his folder full of sheet music under his arm and picked up the steaming cup of coffee that the older woman was offering him at the cafe bar.

He went away and passed by a crowded table, finally sitting in a quiet area near the windows. He set his briefcase aside and placed his hands on each side of the mug to warm himself up.

He would usually have breakfast with Kihyun and Hyunwoo, but that morning they were both busy. Today at noon was the play of his roommate, and he had been rehearsing for it in the auditorium since the early hours of the morning. Kihyun took his interpretation very seriously.

And as for Hyunwoo, he was training at the campus stadium; his friend belonged to the football club, and on Fridays they had to start the warm-ups especially early because on weekends they used to have some match.

However, loneliness was not something that bothered Changkyun. From time to time, he was grateful to have a quiet time alone; he especially appreciated having a break from Kihyun's sermons about how little he trusted Wonho and that he should be careful with a guy like him.

He smelled the delicious scent of coffee and closed his eyes: he adored that bitter smell. With a small smile, he took the cup by the handle and gently blew the surface of the hot beverage before taking a sip.

It was delicious... if he could, Changkyun would drink coffee instead of water.

When he was about to take another sip, he noticed that someone was standing on his left and he looked in that direction, putting the cup back on the plate. A very tall, thin guy was observing him with a strange smile; his slightly wavy black hair was combed to one side and his eyes were half closed: he seemed to be very sleepy.

The little boy looked at him uneasily: his drowsy appearance made him look like he was about to fall flat to the ground at any moment.

"Hello," the stranger greeted him with a delicate voice.

Changkyun flinched without taking his eyes off the slender boy.

"H- hi," he replied doubtfully, not knowing yet why a complete stranger would come to speak to him.

"Lim Changkyun?"

He nodded weakly, causing the tall boy’s smile to widen; without asking permission, he took a seat in front of Changkyun and interlaced his fine fingers on the table.

The little boy started to get nervous because of the intensity with which he was being stared at. "I'm…I’m sorry, but I don’t know wha-"

The boy's stuttering was interrupted by the soft laughter of the contrary.

"You’re so cute," he said matter-of-factly, resting his head in the palm of his hand. Changkyun was speechless at this: he didn’t expect him to say such a thing. “Sorry, I haven’t even introduced myself. My name is Chae Hyungwon and I'm in fourth year." he explained slowly, without losing the smile on his fleshy lips.

Even though Changkyun had never talked to him before, he had a pleasant aura of tranquility that made him not feel so uncomfortable engaging a conversation.

"I'm friends with Wonho, by the way. He told me a few things about you... you're at the music club, right?”

The mere mention of the brunette was enough to make his cheeks blush. Why had Hoseok told a friend about me?

Changkyun nodded silently and buried his chin inside his gray-collared sweater.

"Ah, he also said that you play the piano very well... although I don’t know if I should believe him. That boy tends to exaggerate things, you see.”

The child let out a faint smile on his lips: just imagining Wonho speaking highly of his skills as a pianist was kind of funny. I’m not even that good...

"Did you know he's in a club too?"

That aroused the little boy's curiosity: what club would Wonho be in? Surely in a cool one like football... that suited him a lot. But if that was the case, Hyunwoo would have told him.

“For real?” Changkyun asked, trying to hide his interest.

Hyungwon nodded before groaning.

"He says it’s the best club on campus... can you believe that?" he answered lazily, “In my opinion, the yoga and relaxation club is the best by far.”

Changkyun thought that club suited very well the sleepy boy; then, a vibration in his pocket made him put his hand in his denim jacket to pull out his cell phone. He saw that it was a message from Wonho, and his heart fluttered.

Changkyun... can we talk a moment after school?

Seeing that Changkyun was so focused on his phone, Hyungwon decided it was better to not keep distracting him.

"Well... I won’t bother you anymore," said Hyungwon with a sigh, "It was nice talking to you.”

"Oh, you weren’t bothering me," said the boy slightly altered, blocking his phone and putting it back in his pocket. His nerves were frayed because of the message he had just received.

The tall boy smiled at him and rose from his seat. His intention was to leave, but he stayed in place, grabbing the back of his chair.

 "You know... Wonho is very sensitive. He’s a good person, but he lets himself be easily hurt by others.”

The seriousness in Hyungwon's expression frightened him a little; suddenly, he remembered the coldness with which he had treated the brunette and felt terribly bad with himself: would he have hurt him unintentionally?

Changkyun looked down guiltily and shrank in his chair; Hyungwon realized that his extreme seriousness had caused that effect on the little boy and smiled again to lighten the mood.

"Sorry, don’t listen to me... I don’t know why I suddenly told you all these things..."

"Where's Wonho?"

The slender boy stared at him in surprise.

"I think he's in his club's classroom, but-"

“And where is that?”

Changkyun have gathered a lot of courage to raise the two questions; he was pressing his fingers to his knees tightly and his cheeks were heated. Hyungwon's lips began to form a wide smile of pure satisfaction: he made that the shy boy, on which his best friend had a slight crush, went to see him.

He definitely deserved a medal.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

After climbing the last step to the third floor of the faculty, Changkyun pressed his file against his chest and took a breath.

"Go to the end of the third floor’s hallway, turn left and then turn right"

He remembered the instructions Hyungwon had given him to reach Wonho’s club classroom and went on his way. He walked through the white corridors with the heart pounding his chest because of the nerves; he didn’t even have the slightest idea of what he was going to say to him.

But he didn’t know why, he had the need to let him know that his company didn’t displease him.

As he approached the wooden door with a paper star stuck on its surface, he began to consider turning around and return to where he came from. But his legs wouldn’t stop moving. The truth is that Changkyun really wanted to know in which club Wonho was...

He started to slow down until he reached the door: it was ajar and he could hear a voice coming from the other side. It seemed to be Hoseok's, but he wasn’t entirely sure.

Changkyun bit his lip and finally decided to take a look. And what he saw... he expected anything but that.

Wonho wore as dressed in a fluorescent green apron and was holding a baby-shaped doll in his arms; there was a chorus of girls around him who listened to his lively speech.

In the chalkboard of the classroom there was written with gigantic letters: 'health and maternity club'.