Measure of Love

Seven Days

“The weather’s been getting cold lately, right?” Woohyun randomly commented while he was working on his project just beside Sungjong’s space.

 

“Yeah”

 

“Wonder if it’s going to snow this year. I want to drink hot chocolate then”

 

Sungjong smiled at bit, “ you don’t have to have snow to drink one hyung.”

 

“but you can only truly enjoy the beauty of steaming hot chocolate on a snowy day. Those floating soft marshmallow are to die for” Woohyun was almost too dramatic with his words.

 

“Fine maybe it’ll snow. Check the weather” the younger boy continued smiling through his work.

 

“Nah, too busy. Besides it’s been years since the the last it happened. Arghhh, but now I really want to have some. I’ll go get some, you want anything?”

 

“I’m fine hyung, you go ahead.”

 

For the rest of the afternoon Sungjong worked on his project. By sundown only Sungjong and a few others were left. All were finishing up except the younger boy.

 

“ You sure you’ll be fine? Don’t work too late we have to be early for the presentation for tomorrow” Woohyun said putting on a scarf.

 

“ Speak for yourself. You’re carrying flowers again, meeting with your girlfriend?” Sungjong teased.

 

“ Hey now, my heart can’t live without love. It is constantly seeking to be happy and I Nam Woohyun is generous enough to find some to fill it” Woohyun bowed at his invisible audiences.

 

“ Right, right. You should get going now, you don’t want to be dump again”

 

“ha-ha I won’t. Well gotta go… by the way uhmm…” Woohyun looked around as if wanting to asked something, “ no never mind. Then I’m leaving, bye”

“ Bye hyung, see you tomorrow” Sungjong waved goodbye and went back to his work and soon lost track of the time. When a cold gush of wind blew past his nape the younger boy glanced at his phone, but there were no calls nor messages. He picked it and started writing a message but stopped halfway and put back his phone. How many messages did he write but never got to do something about them.

“ Dam** when did I start making messages I don’t send” he shook his head working.

“ Did I come at a bad time?” a voice came from behind the younger boy he felt like he’s going to jump out of his skin.

“Sun..Sunggyu, Oh it was just you? ” Sungjong asked with a nervous smile while  picking up his tools that fell on the floor.

“ You were expecting someone?” Myungsoo’s older brother asked.

“I though you maybe the security guards asking me to leave. Anyways what are you doing here?”

“ You left the hospital and I didn’t get the chance to have a talk with you so I dropped by”

“ Talk with me? Why?”

“ Can’t I say I just wanted to see you? Sunggyu smiled.

“No.”

“Ah, you got me. By the way you’re the only left working on your project maybe you should go home. Let’s have dinner and I’ll drive you afterwards. How about that?”

“ Mr. Kim, if you don’t have anything to say you may take your leave.”

“ Please don’t I’m just here to check up on you and my brother.  Did Myungsoo said anything about him taking the treatment?”

Sungjong froze, he put down the carving knife he was holding and turned around to face Sunggyu, “ I’m sorry, we haven’t talked much lately and I didn’t had the chance to ask him” Actually we barely see each other for at least a week now.

“ Hey, it’s not your fault. Knowing that kid he’s probably making sure you won’t have the chance to talk about it. He’s running away again”

“ Uhmm, but he looks fine. In the past few days he had been acting normal, just like himself in the past”

“ I know, but we’re running out of time. It’s getting colder and colder and soon it’ll start to snow” Sunggyu said looking at the dark skies outside.

“ what do you mean?”

“ Before I knew you two were dating one of the reasons why I thought Myungsoo chose this school was because for the past ten years this city has not record of having snowfall on the winter.

‘What does it have to do with Myungsoo?”

“ Wait till the first snow fall and you’ll see why.”

“ But you said this city hasn’t had snow, so it’s possible he could still be fine?”

“I thought of that too but this year, it’ll be different. I had the forecast for the next weeks to come checked and the possibility of it happening is a hundred percent. By that time things might be too late and I had to force him back. The sooner you talk to him the better”

“ How… how about Sungyeol. Maybe you could ask him, I mean you three have known each other for ages. Maybe he’ll listen” Sungjong could feel his panic threatening to burst out.

“ I did, and it only ended up Myungsoo running away from home and almost he almost died in a cold apartment room all by himself. I thought he would listen to Sungyeol as he always did but it seems that’s the only request he’ll never accept. Myungsoo knew I asked Sungyeol and that’s why he still hates me. Ah well he probably hated me from the beginning.” Sunggyu said with a sad smile playing on his lips.

“ There’s no way Myungsoo could hate his own brother. ” Sungjong said feeling the need to defend his friend.

“ hmmn, but will you still forgive that person if they took away the only thing you hold most dear?”

Sungjong was about to say something when his phone rang.

 

 Hello? Myungsoo Why did you call?”

 

“ Where are you?”

 

“I’m still at school, why?”

 

“ Uhm, It seems that Sungyeol’s manager is running late so I’ll stay with him.”

 

“ oh, okay.” he’s sleeping there again  the younger boy thought to himself.

 

“ well it seems that I should be going” Sunggyu said as he stood up.

 

“ Wait, who’s that? Are you with someone?” Myungsoo said from the other line when he heard someone’s voice.

 

“ Wait, I’ll try my best so please don’t worry.” Sungjong said covering his phone and answering to Myungsoo’s brother.

 

Sunggyu did not say anything but smiled and left.

 

“ Who was that?” Myungsoo asked, his tone of voice changed.

 

“ oh uhm, just someone. He asked me why what I was doing”

 

“ Is Woohyun-hyung there?”

 

“ No he already left. I’m just here by myself”

 

“Are you alone with that person?”

 

“Ah no he already left.” Sungjong explained followed by a pause.

“ I’ll probably be late tonight but I’ll try to come home as soon as Sungyeol’s manager arrive. You should go home and rest now. You’ve been through a lot these couple of days... Hey Sungjong-ah” there was a short pause from the Myungsoo’s side, “no it’s nothing. I’ll call you later”

 

“ Wait I thought you’re not coming…” Sungjong said on the phone but the call already ended. They really are brothers, they even said the same words to me without even knowing it.

 

It was a little past half an hour till ten in the evening when Sungjong finally called it a day. He glanced at his phone and there were no messages.

 

He cleaned up his space and fix the final touches for his project before covering it. He stopped by a convenience store near the station before going home.

Half an hour later he was standing in front of their dormitory carrying his dinner. He forgot the last train had left a long time ago and now he’s stuck of either paying a lot for taxi or walking all the way home.

“ good thing I still have the key” the young architect student mumbled to himself as he let himself into the room.

He kicked back his shoes, turns on the light as well the heater and threw his coat onto the nearby chair. Sungjong checked some of the clothes he left behind for emergency cases and went to take a long hot bath. Afterwards he silently took his dinner up the rooftop along with his notes for tomorrow’s presentation, there were no stars out in the sky and the moon was covered by thick dark clouds the heavens almost seemed like a black hole.

“ and the universe is one with what I feel” the young boy held a can of malt into the sky and in one shot gulp almost half of its content. He then finished his food, studied for a bit and just as he was about to feel a little wobbly on his feet he heads down back into his room. He walked the empty rooms and hallways back to his old room. There are fewer and fewer students that are staying at their dormitory since winter vacation is almost here.

Upon entering their room Sungjong threw himself on the bed. He checked his phone and the time shows it’s late.

 

Hey, are you going home? You doing fine? I’m staying at our old room, I didn’t make it on the last train

Sent: 11:50pm

…You don’t have to go home if you want, just stay with Sungyeol until he’s alright but make sure to take some rest too. Goodnight

… …

Sungjong deleted and changed the message.

Just rest and sleep there.

Sent 11: 55

 

Sungjong looked at the message he just wrote while lying on the bed. He didn’t know if it was the booze of that uncomfortable feeling but he just tossed his phone aside and went to sleep. It wasn’t hard considering how much he had been working for the past weeks for his project.

“ Mom, I don’t know what I’m doing anymore” the young boy closed his eyes and drifted into sleep.

 

A couple of hours into the night when Sungjong was woken up by the sound the sound of a phone call.

“ hello ma’am are you Mrs. Kim?” a voice asked as soon as Sungjong placed the phone on his ear.

“ uhm.. who is this?’ Sungjong asked.

“ I work at pub where your husband frequents. I’m sorry ma’am but could you please send someone over to take Mr. Kim home, he’s quite drunk and there was there was a fight…”

“ ah what?” the younger boy boldted on his bed and began dressing, “ what happened?”

“ he’s quite drunk and there was a fight but don’t worry we’ve settled everything it’s just that if no one will come for him he might start another fight.”

“ okay, just give me the address and I’ll be there” Sungjong said dashing out the door.

 

................................................................................IDeviant....................................................